main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Star Wars Fan Film Awards

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedi_master_sal, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    it's not an and or. if you plan to help, expect to do both behind the scenes and acting. We're too small yet to be choosy. Besides who wouldn't want to be in front of the camera? (There's plenty of behind the camera work to "portion" out. Every and any kind of help s needed.)

Okay, if you want to post what you can help out with and what costume(s) you have, but please only do so if you plan on helping.

I can't stress this enough, that this is going to be a major undertaking.

Between the brainstorming session, script writing, location scouting, equipment allocation, filming and editing, those involoved in this project are going to be VERY busy with it.

So again to stress the point, DON'T post and idea unless you plan to help. While your idea may be good, if you don't plan on helping beyond suggesting something then how can your "vision" become reality.

Here a list of things that will need to be done. (This is not the definitive list, but will be a basis to start planning from:

Crew positions:

Director
    Producer
    Equipment manager
    Camera person
    Editor
    Props makers (More than one to be sure)

What we will need:
    Video Camera
    Traditional Camera (Be nice to have a different perspective of the production and also another way to document this)
    Props, props and more props. (Who knows what this will ulimately be...)
    Transportation
    Lights (possible depending on where we shoot)
    Generator (if we need things like lighting in and our of the way place.)

Other things:
    Determination
    Dedication
    Teamwork (BIG one here)
    Food and drink(bring your own, we won't have the resources to feed everyone and going to a restaraunt or ordering food would get too expensive)

If you can think of something else here that we need or other crew positions please post it.

This thread can be the start of the brainstorming session and it will conclude with the "official" one on March 1st.

If you haven't guessed by now, I'm completely serious about getting this done.
    I only want those indiviuals who want to do this, and can commit there skill and time to it.
    (If you can only give a little time that's okay just plan on being an extra and props person. These jobs would require less time. Although the person in charge of props will have a great responsibility)

While this is meant to be fun, goofing off will NOT be tolerated. Stay focused on this and I'm sure we can all put out a production that we can be proud of.

Lastly, do not volunteer yourself for certain positions, this will be decided at the brainstorming session once we have a better idea of peoples skills, experience, commitment level.

Only 115 days left (16 weeks and 3 days) to have this submitted. Really only 113 as we should have this sent a couple of days BEFORE the deadline to ensure that it gets there.

2. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I know how a director works on the stage, how do directors/producers work in film?

3. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I agree with Sal. Everyone who wants to be in it should also be available to help out. I would still like to know what costumes we will be able to use before the brainstorming meeting though. Some of us (*cough* ME *cough*) don't have any costumes. Whoever writes the script will need to know what characters are definate.

If we choose the Survivor film I would really like to direct it. I have seen every season and I think I could make it work. Sal seems like the right person to produce the film. That's not to say that every job has to be limited to one person.

4. JediDaveFromDaBurgh

JediDaveFromDaBurgh Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm willing to help out as well. I, too, have now costume, but am willing to help out in any way that I can, in brain storming, helping with the writing, filming, stunt double, extra... whatever.

5. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    As far as "positions" go we definetly need to have an Executive Producer, then maybe two other producers. As to Director, I'm thinking something like 2 or three (like the brothers, can't remember their names at the moment). When a take is done, the directors can go over it and decide if another is needed. Some of these jobs can overlap. One person can be a producer at one point and be a director for another part of the production.

As to my own qualifications:

Stagehand: numerous plays when a teen in Phoenix, AZ This included set design, prop design, lighting.

A degree in Industrial design: learned bluescreen filming, movie/theatrical make-up, prop and model making. Among other things, just trying to keep it short....

A degree in Graphic design (you all know this already but I'm a designer for Univ.of Pitt)

Produced/Directed/Filmed short for Navy Medical Training when in the Military.

(Also during this time made some "home movies" of my military life, very funny, wish I still had them, got lost in a move from Virginia to Michigan)

I've created numerous props and miniature sets to be filmed.

Again though, we really should wait to see what the brainstorming session brings before anyone takes any position.

The basic timeline should roughly go like this:

March 1st: brainstrom session-Jobs defined as well as idea for project. Characters casted, so on

All of March: Scout film locations, script written, production equipment aquired...

April: Begining of filming (Doubtful we can start earlier than this but if so then we are ahead of the game.)

May: Finish filming, voiceover, EDITING

End of May: Send off our PRECIOUS....er I mean project......(Just a little humor there folks)

June to whenever: Wait for results and hope they don't have blasters.....I mean that they vote for us in some capacity.

It would be awesome to be picked by the man himself.

Now this is just a rough outline but gives us something to start from.
    It will be refined more at the BS session (Brainstorming Session, get your mind out of there.......j/k) ;)

6. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    I would love to be a part in this.

My biggest problem is going to be transportation. I live way outside of Pittsburgh (near Beaver and Butler), but I can most likley get a ride down there.

I have an editing suite (sort of) of my own, I have the ability to burn DVD's and make VHS's, I've got a computer with Premiere, Photoshop, and After Effects, and a Beta copy of Vegas Video that expires in 12 days. :p

I'd rather work in the Production/Post-Production field. I don't have a whole lot of skill in Preproduction, but I can work there when needed. I'm actually making a fanfilm of my own, so I can help out.

sal:
    I think it's great that you want to do this, but you're going to have to be really dedicated if you want to start filming by next month. It'll be awesome if you can do it, but you'll need a really dedicated team.

I have a camera of my own that I would be willing to offer (JVC-DVM70, Mini-DV, 1CCD, 200X digital zoom, 1394 uplink...) during the filming. It's not a great camera, but it's not a bad one, either. Possibly can be used for documenting the creation of the film.

I will really try to be there on March 1st. I'm Homeschooled, so I've got plenty of spare time on my hands. :)

7. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Apparently Oreckel, you have not met me yet. I think there are a few people here that can attest to my dedication to things.

Being the Emperor for Imax(This invloved getting a costume made as well as 3 hours of make-up, self applied), getting the t-shirts made for the group, my constant update in the toys and collectibles thread and so on(and believe me there is so much more). You don't have to worry about me, (read the other posts I have put in this thread alone) if these don't convice you of my sincerity, devotion and dedication nothing will. I can and will produce a fanfilm for this years awards. Whether it's good or remains to be seen. That's why I want and need help from members of the group. I want Pittsburgh SW fans to have a fanfilm they can be proud of.

8. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Count me in. Stuff that I can do: Help assemble props, help make stuff, drive people places, help build sets, appear on camera ;) I have a Jedi outfit, a Sith outfit and access to an excellent costume maker.

Although it seems that the SW Surviver is the front runner for ideas, here's mine anyway. It was based off of Rox's 'instructional' video and the old Monty Python skit, how not to be seen . . .

Scene opens. A large crowd of people standing before a plain white wall (back of my classroom would work)-- Jedi, fighter pilots, tuskens, Dathomir Witches (my sisters in not yet made get ups), Sith and in the back ground the Emperor and Count Dooku (I'm thinking Jedi 1966 with some gray hair makeup).

Voice over: With the reappearance of the Sith in the galaxy, many Jedi are asking themselves, How can I identify a Sith. There are many different life forms, and some of them are Force users. It can be a puzzling and difficult task to figure out who among them are Sith.

While voice over is going on, some of the people are disappearing until only the Sith are left.

Voice over: Fortunately, this training video will assist you in learning the identifying features of the Sith, so the Dark Side will not be quite so hard to see.

Rest of video is stuff on IDing a sith in everyday situations (like at the grocery store having 20 items in the 12 item or less lane. Using Force lightening instead of tipping a waitress. Pushing little old ladies into traffic. Instead of helping get a kitty out of a tree, putting it in the tree, whatever) And some pointers about how they always seem to want to wear all black and say things like "Join me"

Obviously, its only a rough idea but you see where I'm going with it . . .

9. Heilo

Heilo Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2002
    I'll definitly be a part of this. I have experience designing and texturing (real) models, (I like to make little dioramas; I like to sell them for a alot of money even more), I also have some acting experience thanks to CCAC and Pitt.

Two more things, I am active in martial arts so if we need any stunts or martial arts sequences I know several people who would probably be interested. I also know someone a bit high up in the drama department at Pitt.

Oh! I am heading down to Florida on spring break during the first week of March, if anyone wants to some film shot of beachs and/or the ocean let me know. And the earlier the meeting on Sat. the better: I have to work that night.

10. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    i'd love to help (i make movies it's what i do as a hobby and what i plan to do as a career) but i'm not sure i can...school musical and work will kill me...also i have a semi decent group of actors i use if we can costume them

11. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Agree on the musical thing- I also have practice on saturdays, like most schools.
    HOWEVER, I would still like to participate if possible. I can offer the following skills/and or services:
    Actor: I have an imperial & a jedi costume.
    Stunt Double: Dunno if we need any, but I'm good at rush & tumbling. :)

12. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Perhaps I just didn't see this, but what time is the meeting going to be?

13. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Early as we have much to discuss and plan. Depending on how many there will be I'll buy lunch (Pizza) I'll throw in enough for 3 large 1 topping pizzas (you get your own drink). (1 large per 3 people)

With that being said, I need to know how many are going to show up. Remember you must commit to more than just coming to the brain storming session. And for those who haven't posted before now please don't consider coming just for the free pizza. Only those that have already posted an interest BEFORE this post will be elegible for the pizza.

Okay, also, unless we get a bigger turnout than say a dozen people, the BS (brainstorming session) will be at the Pizza Hut by Century III mall. It's right off of Rt 51 and next to Toys R Us. You can't miss it. Meeting will begin promptly at 1:00 til whenever. As long as we order stuff they won't give us a hard time about being there for awhile.

Please be prepared to write. Bring sufficient material ie pencils, pen, eraser, paper and so on.

Remember while this is a fun thing it is still a serious enough production. We don't want to put out junk to represent Pittsburgh.

I'm picking a location close to me, besides we haven't had any event or meeting, with exception to the BBQ LAST year, in the southern part of Pittsburgh.

14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Sounds good to me Sal. I'll bring a sketch pad and a regular tablet. Since I wasnt to be apart of the production end I don't think I'll have too much involvement in the first meeting. Since it looks to be more of a pick an idea and let's go with it type of thing.

15. Crimson_Knight1175

Crimson_Knight1175 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2002
    I'll help however I can, both on and off camera. As you know, I have my Imperial Guard costume, and my TIE pilot will be finished shortly. I'm hoping to have either my Senate Guard or possibly a Tusken or Rebel Fleet trooper by Comicon as well.

16. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I'll be there. March 1st, right?

17. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    LOL at Sal's pizza rules.

18. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Well, you have to reward those for acting on this among other things. This is one way to say thanks fo the hard work ahead.

Yes, March First, 1pm sharp, Pizza Hut on rt51 by Centruy III Mall next to Toys R Us.

This is (approx) 5-6 miles south of Downtown pgh.

19. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Ew...

Yeah, I can still be there, but the South Side is a little far from me.

I'll keep my commitment, but it would be great if we can move the meetings around every time, perhaps farther north (Ross Park Mall would be ideal). Yeah, I know you can't pick a place where everyone's happy, but as long as every meeting won't be in the same place I'm happy.

20. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    As far as that goes, the brainstorming session will probably be the only "meeting" persay. all other "meetings" should be on loaction shooting, scouting, editing and such. so all that attend the BS session will probably not come together again as a whole unit until the end of the project. We'll all have jobs to do for this and many of them will require us to either work on our own or with just a few of the other crew. Where to meet for those things depends on whose in charge of that specific duty, or in the case of loaction shooting where that is being done at.

21. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    Well I can put in my 1 cent.If there are costumes and or props needed,just say what and how many,and I'll do my thing.Not really sure about how much runnin I'll be able to do as far as "on set" stuff goes.

22. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    That's the beauty of it Tony, not everyone needs to be on location at all times. You can make the costumes (if neccessary) and/or props. Someone can come and get them and bring them to location and so on. I know, providing we have time, that I'll be a foley artists for this and that's all off-set.

For those that don't know, a foley artist is a person who creates sound affects that are not digital. If you watch the AotC DVD you can see a part (it's a behind the scens clip, just not sure of the title at the moment) where the two ladies who are foley artists for lucasfilm are at work creating real life sounds. I think these will be the easiest for us to creae since we all don't have a digital sound editing suite.

23. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Up!

I think this needs to be on the first page for any last minute attendees.

24. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    There used to be a website linked from StarWars.com with downloadable star wars type sounds that could be used in film films. I can't find that page now. Does anyone know where it is located?

25. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    No, but I have just about all the sounds, I could judt rip them from all my games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.