main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Science Meets Imagination Discovery Ball

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Master--Kenobi, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    EDIT: A very special thanks to Gregor, Jon, Shawn and Coleen for leading all of us...and especially Shawn and Coleen for working so hard despite heartbreaking circumstances. Our love and thoughts are with you.

Wow!!! What an incredible evening...exhausted, sore, and still on a high from it!

Siri_Tachi and I had the privlege of being invited down to volunteer with the Musume of Science Annual Fundraiser that coincided with the Star Wars: Science Meets Imagination Exhibit in LA. This is a touring exhibit that is absolutely unbelivable as was the night.

First and foremost the group of over 70 people that were there from both Rebel Legion and 501st deserve a salute for their hard work in entertaining the crowds from Jedi, to Rebel Fleet Officers, to TK, TIE and Biker Scouts, to Imperial Officers,Red Guards, Luke, Han and Leia(s), Padme(s), Anakin(s)- both Ep II and III,Twil'ks, Chewbacca, Gen Grevious, Vader, Red Guards, and my two favorite droids...3PO (Thanks Rion for making me truly enjoy being with Goldenrod) and R2,wonderful wranglers that just mother-hen'd us to death...plus anyone else that I forgot to mention. A HUGE round of applause to all of you. Thanks to you we helped the Musuem break the $1 MILLION mark FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME EVER(still don't know the final tally. The RL/Stormtrooper ambush/fight went off beautifully, the cantina and interacting with the patrons was a blast...(I always love watching adults immediately turn into little kids when you hand them a lit lightsaber. LOL):D [face_laugh]

We did have a scary moment on our way there as we were caught moments behind a horrendous crash and stuck for a bit. But kept checking in by phone and made it to the performance with plenty of time to spare. Thank you Shawn for updating us by phone as we sat... stuck and not moving for what seemed like an eternity.. and we were amazed at how many people were worried about us and just kept hugging us and telling us that when we arrived. But, by the Force, we just missed being involved in the accident and were safe. *whew*...(However, from what it looked like, we were concerned if anyone did survive it... it was really bad). [face_praying] [face_worried] Thanks Miana for coming down to find us in the parking structure...we just both couldn't figure things out..(I think we were still a bit shook...) But you saved the day and "rescued" us. [:D]

The response was amazing, "Kenobi" had many press interviews and photo ops (Ok I was surprised at how truly many there were" And then there were photo ops all around for everyone, not just by the press, but by the patrons as well. Like I said, a good time (and exhausting one) had by all involved. Lots and LOTS of Thank You's by the patrons. So many times we had someone take our hands and just over and over say how much they appreciated EVERYONE that turned out in costume. It just made a great night even better. Again, KUDOS to everyone that turned out!!!

As for the exhibit. OMG UNBELIEVABLE!!! *cough* 30 years of waiting and dreaming of actually getting to sit in Han's pilot's seat came to fruitation.. I think they could hear me clear to Corellia it's self. It just was an amazing simulator and two times didn't seem like nearly enough.. but dream fulfilled! =D= :D

The exhibit is wonderful, Luke's landspeeder, costumes and props, a store that was ALMOST worth taking out a second mortgage for. But, best of all, again, helping the museum.

A Bantha-sized load of fun, good friends, getting to wear garb, and again, "piloting" the Falcon. WOW!!!!

(And the next day...Disneyland and Churros).. Yup, one of the best times ever!!!

2. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Opps forgot to mention...everyone who had a lightsaber was asked to bring a MR saber. . The Jedi were asked to help with the auction and wave our sabers over the heads of those bidding...LOL They wanted BRIGHT LIGHT AND SOUND!!!! (Even though it was strange not to have my own with me LOL) Plus, I think MR now owes a bunch of us stock options as we sold a ton of those things for the store.;) LOL I actually had one lady change her mind from buying the Vader saber to immediately wanting the Kenobi one after she got to see use the one I have. LOL The store clerks were accusing me of using the Force to get her to change her mind. ;) [face_laugh]

3. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    haha! That's my Master. Using mind tricks on little old ladies. ;)
    I'm very glad you had a good time and that you were both safe. You know this padawan was with you in spirit and I really hope I get a chance to get down there...but always in moriton the future is.

4. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    It sounds like you both had a fantastic time. Congratulations to everyone involved for helping the museum so well with its fundraiser. YAY!

*HUG*

- Kai

5. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Y'all should come down for Fan Day # 2 on Mar 24th and join the OCSWS and IEFF!

6. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I posted this in RL, but I thought I'd do so in other forums too. Is anyone here going to the exhibit for Fan Day this weekend? I was thinking of going, and carpooling if there's room.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'll be there... but I'm coming from the opposite direction.

8. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Not going to be making this one...new Jeep put the skids on extra $$ and some trips for a while. But may try for the second one. March 31st though is a definite a few of us are coming down for the show!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.