main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars tries to make young people hate God

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Ree Yees, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_CORLEONE

DARTH_CORLEONE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    It's all about mind control. If Austin Powers were as wildly popular amongst a younger demographic as Star Wars, they'd be going after that too. If they found out that most young people in America preferred Coke over any other beverage, they'd move in on that too. How many of these people saw 'Oh God' in which God is portrayed as an old Jewish guy in a bad jacket who smokes cigars, cracks jokes, and wears shaded glasses? Hello?

2. gundar421

gundar421 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2001
    I am a children's pastor and I don't agree with this guy either. I don't live in fear of the entertainment world. Without evils how can we appreciate the good. You have to know sin to be saved from it. Star Wars is not evil.

3. megHan

megHan Jedi Master star 1

Dec 20, 2001
    i am a young christian and think that most of the things they said were radical and pointless. they don't seem to understand that God doesn't exist in star wars, so it's impossible to be neglecting his authority. they have a fraction of a point on some of the things. but barely any valid point. these people should get a life.

4. Darth Gleng

Darth Gleng Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 1999
    It's good to see that both Christians and non-Christians share the same views on these guys :)

5. Force of Nature

Force of Nature Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 1999
    LMAO!

"statue nudity" breaks me up every time! What planet are these people from?

6. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Mar17swgirl have you even seen The Empire Strikes back?! LOL.

7. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    These are probably the same people that said "Puff The Magic Dragon" was about drugs in the sixties. These people don't deserve my time. You e-mail them and they'll probably say, "See it is worse than we thought."

8. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Religious fundies give me a headache... And they make me laugh too :p

The other day I read an article on a certain "Christian" website (Focus on the Family) in which the author had the gall to say that John Lennon's murder was God's punishment for his "more popular than Jesus" remark.

Another website (Christian Spotlight on the Movies) peddles a piece of trash book that tries to pain the Harry Potter books as evil.

9. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    "The other day I read an article on a certain "Christian" website (Focus on the Family) in which the author had the gall to say that John Lennon's murder was God's punishment for his "more popular than Jesus" remark."

My parents used to say that, too. Good thing they've changed their tune, now that I'm a huge Beatles fan. Extremist crap like this is what made me become an atheist.

10. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Han_YoungJediNiagara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2001
    Same here, SOTS. This is just pushed way too far.

11. leiatheplaya03

leiatheplaya03 Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2001
    Beats me.

First of all, as a Christian, I would like to state that an article which states that is a load of fertilizer.

*taking vicar collar off*

I can see where they are coming from just a bit, I mean, the force philosophy does have quite a few aspects of Buddhism and Hinduism in it, but it doesn't have any implications that God is bad or anything like that.

And one thing I've noticed about Harry Potter is that modern ideas of witchcraft are nowhere to be found in the books or the movie. The closest thing to it is divination studies, like reading stuff in tea leaves. The rest of it is told from a innocent perspective, and really doesn't present any barriers against people believing in God. The only thing that set up barriers against God is the person, no external influence is necessary for that.

~MB

12. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    If you ask me it is time to cue up Jim Morrison's "People are Strange". But then those folks didn't like Jim either.

13. leiatheplaya03

leiatheplaya03 Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2001
    I agree, I've heard people say that too. I strongly disagree, that was a quote taken way out of context. And saying that the Beatles were bigger than Jesus doesn't necessarily refer to them being Godlike or anything. It's more to do with the demands of the public. So I agree, that was waaay out of context.

~MB

14. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Exactly! :) John himself said over and over again that he wasn't BRAGGING so much as he was deploring the trend to worship entertainers more than God. But Beatles bashers conveniently chgoose to ignore that bit of the story...

Here's a quote from a 1966 interview the Fab Four did shortly after the release of Revolver:

JOHN: "If I had said television is more popular than Jesus, I might have got away with it. You know, but as I just happened to be talking to a friend, I used the word 'Beatles' as a remote thing-- not as what 'I' think as Beatles-- as those other Beatles like other people see us. I just said 'they' are having more influence on kids and things than anything else, including Jesus. But I said it in that way which is the wrong way. Yap yap."

Q: "Some teenagers have repeated your statements-- 'I like the Beatles more than Jesus Christ.' What do you think about that?"

JOHN: "Well, originally I was pointing out that fact in reference to England-- that we meant more to kids than Jesus did, or religion, at that time. I wasn't knocking it or putting it down, I was just saying it as a fact. And it's sort of... It is true, 'specially more for England than here. I'm not saying that we're better, or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is, you know. I just said what I said and it was wrong, or was taken wrong. And now it's all this."

Q: "There have been threats against your life, there have been record burnings, you've been banned from some radio stations-- Does this bother you?"

JOHN: "Well, it worries me."

PAUL: "You know, it's bound to bother us."

Q: "Do you think you're being crucified?"

JOHN: "No, I wouldn't say THAT at all!"

(laughter)

Q: "What do you think about the record burnings here in the United States?"

PAUL: "Well, I think it's a bit silly. It seems a bit like a publicity stunt on their part, you know. I think they're not going to gain anything by doing that."

JOHN: "If they just didn't buy the records, or threw them away, but burning them is..."

GEORGE: "It's the same old wrong mess. They've just taken it the wrong way, and that's just the pity that... It's this misunderstanding which shouldn't be."

Q: "Mister Starr, you haven't said a word."

RINGO: "Well, I just hope it's all over now, you know. I hope everyone's straightened out, and it's finished."

Q: "Is this an attempt to raise your flagging popularity?"

JOHN: "I could think of a much easier way..."

Q: "Such as?"

JOHN: "...to raise flagging popularity. I don't know, if you think of stunts. But we don't do stunts. I think we've done one in our lives that's been completely a stunt."

PAUL: "But anyway, that's not the kind of thing that's gonna..."

Q: "Are you sorry you said it?"

JOHN: "I am. Yes, you know. Even though I never meant what people think I meant by it. I'm still sorry I opened my mouth."

Q: "Did you mean that the Beatles are more popular than Christ?"

JOHN: (sighs) "When I was talking about it, it was very close and intimate with this person that I know who happens to be a reporter. And I was using expressions on things that I'd just read and derived about christianity. Only, I was saying it in the simplest form that I know, which is the natural way I talk. But she took 'em, and people that know me took 'em exactly as it was-- because they know that's how I talk, you know."

15. Savant

Savant Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2001
    I am a Christian and I will admit that whoever wrote that is being a total morm...err, moron.

16. Kendu_Knight

Kendu_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    You know, somebody should write how morons are making too much out of nothing, and that they don't know fantasty, and that they are dweebs that have more time than me [face_laugh], and that they should remove the sharp objects from deep within their butts. I know what I would call it:

"HOW MORONS ARE MAKING TOO MUCH OUT OF NOTHING AND THEY DON'T KNOW FANTASY AND THEY ARE DWEEBS WITH MORE TIME ON THEIR HANDS THAN ME AND THEY SHOULD REMOVE THE SHARP OBJECTS FROM DEEP WITHIN THEIR BUTTS: The Debunking of Christian Parents' Moronical Ideas that Star Wars is Evil"

17. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    That article lambasts TPM for nude statues, which by the way I have never noticed. But wasn't Michaelangelo, who made nude statues (i.e. "David") and painted religous scenes with naked people a Christian? Also I've never read the Bible but I heard that ironically enough the Bible is full of violence and sex. Is this true? Like I know Adam and Eve ran around butt naked and that Cain killed Abel, so what's the big deal?

18. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    The statues in Palpatine's office are the ones that they are talking about. And they aren't really nude either.

19. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    "glimpse of mutilated scalp"

The mutilated scalp was vader's head before he put his helmet on in ESB. I find this EXTREMELY offensive. Are they trying to say that people who are ugly must cover themselves or be considered sinners? Screw them! I'm a Catholic myself, I believe in God and try to respect him, but it's bloody fiction, and most of the stuff they mention as being wrong is ludicrous! Female anatomy ghosting through clothes... well you have to look darn hard to see that, and its not as if it was on purpose for cryin' out loud! Ah, forget it, its too stupid to talk about!

20. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    Ah let's just see what we can debunk. :)

Wanton Violence/Crime (W):

orders to kill (Yeah, from the BAD GUY! Dun, dun, dun! That's his job).

eating of animals by animals (Yeah, animals eat each other. Were you chomping a hot-dog or burger whilst watching TPM by any chance? What's the difference?!)

child slavery (Yeah, so? They said slavery's a bad thing! Are there supposed to be no villains doing bad deeds in the media these days?)

multiple deaths in a race and in battle (actually you cannot see any deaths in the battle, except the droids and they ain't alive. As for the races, you don't know the things die. You just see them crash, and I still don't understand what's wrong with this.)

"sword" fighting (sabre fighting actually. And Peter attacked someone with his sword, y'know. Conflict with the villain is supposed to happen!)

exceptionally evil character (And Lucifer isn't, hmm? Come on, there's supposed to be a villain to show you what's evil and why its bad!)

Darth Maul being cut in half. non-graphic, no blood/guts (actually there was quite a bit of blood, but hey, he wasn't viciously drowned or nailed to things or stoned or hung or beheaded or burnt... why do people let kids read The Bible, its scary!)

Impudence/Hate (I)(1):

lies to deflect accountability (Small lies to bad guys to achieve good results. What's wrong with that?)

a small issue of a little boy's arrogance against mother's authority re: going to bed. sound familiar? (This has already been dealt with, he couldn't move the first time, Qui-Gon was cleaning his cut. Anyway, he's a kid dammit! Is it a sin not to do something your parent says immediately without hesitation, even if you CANNOT do it at the time?!)

Sex/Homosexuality (S):

Scant clothing (Bloody Twi'Leks probably, but still it was a lot more clothes than you'd see if you took your kids to the beach. Actually they probably wear more clothes than teenage girls going to the mall would)

statue nudity (its a statue, its not real, its in the background and its extremely hard to make out and has nothing to do with the story!)

Drugs/Alcohol (D):

none noted

Offense to God (O)(2):

repeated talk of subservience to gods (Are no other cultures allowed to exist in this fictional universe then?)

calling on a nonholy force for direction, protection, and strength (who said its unholy? And again, it is fiction, and doesn't this actually encourage kids to pray when they need help?)

claim of a virgin birth (Shmi is a female slave on Tatooine. She is not a virgin, trust me. she never said she was a virgin, all we know is that she can't explain how Anakin came to be.)

foreseeing the future (What's wrong with that?! And I don't actually remember anyone seeing the future, just Yoda trying and failing)

repeatedly equating "the force" with God's Will and His Control (Cos that's what the force is to the Jedi in this FICTIONAL universe)

repeated references to a human as "the chosen one" (So? The force chose Anakin, that's what he's for.)

levitation/psychokineses (Does this mean travelling in an aeroplane is a sin? *sigh*)

And the best part is... they LIKED TPM. They hope Lucas makes a second episode, but only if he removes the "unholy elements". So Episode II would be, if they had their way, about 4 minutes long, mostly consisting of credits probably.

edit/ tiny spoiler about Shmi.

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Mar17swgirl have you even seen The Empire Strikes back?! LOL. -- What did you mean by that, Jedi Bib? I only said that I couldn't recall seeing a mutilated scalp (partially because English is not my first language and I actually thought of something else - and I corrected myself right after that), and that I couldn't recall seeing a decapitation in TESB. Do you? We've seen Vader cut Luke's hand, but that's amputation. The only decapitated thing in TESB I can remember is Threepio when the stormies blast him to pieces.

anakin_skywalker_sct, you said it! ;) :) I really think that those people completely oversaw the fact that Star Wars is fiction. I read other their reviews, and I was disgusted. These people are truly blind or what...

22. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    I know what decapitation their are talking about being in ESB. When Luke faces the Vader thing on Dagobah, he beheads it.

I'm sorry, but if that is considered violent then I hope they never see Gladiator or any movie like that. They would have a heart attack. :D

23. Obi-Gon_Jinnobi

Obi-Gon_Jinnobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    Yeah, my parent think Pokemon is evil, becauce their friends do. POKEMON?! It's like a little kids show. Now STAR WARS? This is sick, no?

24. Pyros_Darkblade

Pyros_Darkblade Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2001
    What in the heck is "pansexualism" anyway? I this something they made up just to slam GL with?

/em busts out the Maracas of Doom (tm) and heads for the house of the webmaster.

25. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Anyone who thinks SW makes people hate God is either smoking something heavy or really is fked up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.