main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars vs. Star Trek video Game

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by slimybug, Aug 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Rascal

Jedi-Rascal Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2001
    Yes we do! We all do! :) :D

2. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Yeah, I know. ;)

//self-congratulatory//

3. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    witch slogan do you like better?

Two Galaxies

Two Enemies

One adventure

Or

Three time periods

Two Galaxys

One Adventure

No comparison

huh? huh?

4. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    Oh come on! I need an expert opinion.

5. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    YUO SHOOD PROBABABBLY POOT ORL TEH STUFFF ABOOT YUOR SCPRIT INN TEH YJCC. TIHS SI TEH GMAES FOURM! ;)

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    There was a Klingon in the ROTJ Endor battle, on Crix Madine's cruiser.

7. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    OK, but let's not let the lit people find out! There will be arguments forever - "Is ST canon?" "What Stardate did Yoda die?"

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    [image=http://www.cinescape.com/multimedia/StarWars/Cut_Scenes_Images/StarWarsCut_Scenes_Images236551.jpg]

Klingon & Madine.

9. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    R U PLYAIGN ME? I THNIK TAHT'S JSUT AN UGLIE DUDE!

10. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Oh, hello there, I am LightWarden, yet another Star Wars Geek.

I was looking at that discussion on that link, and I noticed some technical errors.

First: The World Devastators don't create black holes, they instead consume the planets and use the materials to create ships and vehicles. The Planet Slicer creates black holes, not the World Devastators.

Second: They forgot (or never heard of) the Empire's craving for weapons of mass destruction (care for a Sun Crusher? Or prehaps a Galaxy Gun or Eclipse Class SSD?)

Third: They are going with the MOVIE vision of the Empire, an utterly incompetent group whose soldiers are incapable of entering a room without whacking their head on a door.

Fourth: Who in the Federation really has the willpower to endure the all powerful onslaught of those annoying Gungans and Ewoks?

Fifth: The Federation and such is vastly overpowered for matches, people seem to slap on every fancy sounding superpower they can. Only to be topped by something they deem even more powerful (Borg, then Species 8472 or whatnot)

Sixth: Who is commanding the fleets? Are any of the admirals or Grand Admirals (*cough* Thrawn *cough*) allowed? I think that the Empire may have some distinctly superior tacticians, and then they have some lousy ones.

Seventh: If the Federation is allowed all the neat toys and devastating weapons, why isn't the Republic/Empire allowed some of their other neat things? Are technologies such as speed cloning allowed, since the force has been factored out? What about the Droid armies, such as the YVH droids (see Star By Star, these babies rock!), anyone from the Dark Trooper Project, some of the various battledroids, such as the SD series or the Viper X-1s? That technology that ABSORBS ENERGY WEAPONS is sure to be useful. Are the Shi'ido allowed? What about EWOKS or GUNGANS (the ultimate weapons)? Maybe a mynock infestation would work, especially if shields don't disintigrate like they do in Star Wars. Too many special variables!

Eigth: Is the Empire allowed to use some of the advanced technologies and species that are currently drifting about the galaxy? I am think some of those nifty (albeit cheesy) ideas from the Galaxy of Fear series. Ideas such as SIM, a program that hijacks ship systems, or any of those weird things from Project Starscream or whatnot. What about all the neat sith tricks, and SITH MONSTERS (hey, they aren't actually the Force), as well as all of their various sith weapons.

Nineth: What phase of the Star Wars timeline, and what phase of the Star Trek timeline are we talking about? Both develop new technologies, and are chronologically seperated. What if the Star Wars universe actually came to the Milky Way (a long time ago, remember?) and COLONIZED Earth? Hey, with the fact that humans exist in multiple places at different times suggests movement, what are the odds that similar species developed at VASTLY different timelines and places.

Tenth: What kind of computer technology and intelligence are we talking about? What is the Star Trek series stance on AI and other sorts of programs? Do they have it or even worry about it?

In my opinion, Star Wars has a serious edge in ground combat, but unless they have numbers, then they will probably lose in ship combat.

Come to think of it, have any of you seen the latest PC Gamer? There is a Star Trek vs. Star Wars mod for Star Trek: Armada on their demo disc, as well as at this site:
    http://www.apocent.com/www/modders_continuum/stvssw/

If you have the game, maybe you can test a few things out.

If we want to make it VERY interesting, throw in a no-holds barred, everything-AND-the-proverbial-kitchen-sink competition. It would be neat to see how Species 8472 fairs against the Vong, or how some of the various species fair against the Borg. It would be neat to see a fight between YVH droids and the Borg, but I don't know if this would be allowed.

Feed back anyone?

Anyone played that mod?

Oh yeah, here is a list of Imperial Cans of Ass-Whup that I found over on a d

11. Double_Sting

Double_Sting Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2001
    If you include EU in Star Wars, then SW has the advantage:

Death Stars
    Galaxy Gun
    World Destroyers
    Eclipse
    Soveriegn Class SDs

Most of these were defeated by the Force. The Eclipse was destroyed by Palpatine. Ordinary weapons were useless against these.

And if the bought some ventilation covers from the Home Depot, the first Death Star would be invincible :D

12. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    "What is the Star Trek stance on AI?"

Two words dude. Da-ta

13. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    ST = TEH SUCK

STDM

14. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    OK, I haven't been paying even remote attention to this thread. But it has come to my attention that there is a SW vs. ST mod for ST: Armada. PC Gamer says it owns.

15. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    Saw that too Dan. Haven't read up on it but the pics make me want to go get ST:A.

16. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Yeah, it looked like a well-done mod.

17. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    Say What?!

18. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    Which part did you find hard to understand? At least their comments are relevant to the GAMES forum.

19. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "If you include EU in Star Wars, then SW has the advantage:

Death Stars"

While it has the power to destroy planets. So does the enterprise from TOS. Scotty talks about it one of the episodes, how if they wanted too they could totally wipe a planet from the face of space. He even gave a energy output, that was 5 times that of the death star. Not to mention shields of ships from both sides are made to withstand an attack of that caliber. Look at ST: TMP, v'ger used an attack that was much more powerful than the upgraded ncc-1701 in the movie, an attack that would have shredded the death star, enterprise was able to withstand one attack from it.

"Galaxy Gun"

While this would work at destroying planets. Enterprise can do the same thing. galaxy gun would be much too slow to shoot a moving target like a federation ship. Not to mention there is the posibility that the enterprise's 5 time the power of death star laser was used on the galaxy gun rockets that it would eat right through the shields and vaporize the missile.

"World Destroyers"

Not very useful in ship to ship battle. As well enterprise could probably destroy it in one hit with her phasers.

"Eclipse"

Same as above TOS enterprise could totally destroy it, even if it took a few hits from the super laser. Considering how fast it takes for a SW superlaser to charge. enterprise would totally shred the eclipse, burning through it's shields in the process.

Soveriegn Class SDs

Same as above.

"Most of these were defeated by the Force. The Eclipse was destroyed by Palpatine. Ordinary weapons were useless against these."

Federation and most of the races in star trek don't have ordinary weapons, and have built shields to counteract these weapons.

Planets in star trek universe are also set up with ground defenses that are supposed to be very powerful against any intrusive ship, see ST:TMP and other sources. v'ger was special case.

"And if the bought some ventilation covers from the Home Depot, the first Death Star would be invincible"

Not againt phasers which have an energy output of 5 times that of a death star, and can fire of something like 30 times a minute if they wanted too.

But federation tactics is to make every shot count. They don't fire off more than they half to just enough.

Well, I was talking about phaser's if there power is 5x that of the death star which it would be according to scotty's specs. Then what you think enterprises torpedoes power is? Considering they are said to be more powerful than phasers.

People tend to look at the flash and glitter of star wars, and don't seem to know about the specs and treknobabble spouted out in all the series. Indeed the only era that star wars has any advantage over would be that of the Enterprise NX-01 era. Were federation is primitive in nature.

20. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I don't know if this has already specifically been mentioned in this thread or others, but in the most recent PC Gamer, there is an article about a Star Trek vs. Star Wars mod for Star Trek: Armada. The mod is included on the CD that comes with the magazine.

It is also downloadable at the APOC web site, according to that issue of PC Gamer - although I have not been able to get to the site.

21. KorFallon

KorFallon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 2001
    If they made a game like this then it would be biased to a side, which is ok... if its star wars which would win anyway.

22. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I'd assume in the game the sides are matched fairly equally. If one side always wins, it's not really a game anymore. The fun part is seeing an Imperial Star Destroyer trading fire with Federation Starships.

23. KorFallon

KorFallon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 2001
    U could have game designers argue over stats and stuff because one likes star wars andthe other is a trekkie and that would be funny. What scale to u hold both universes up to to discover the power of the ships?

24. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    As I said though, a Star Wars vs. Star Trek video game is not just an idea anymore, but now a reality. There will likely never be a licensed Star Wars vs. Star Trek video game, but now someone has wriiten a mod add-on for Star Trek: Armada which allows Star Wars vs. Star Trek.

From the screens in the issue of PC Gamer, the Star Wars ships look very nice graphically, and most major Star Wars ships are included: SD, SSD, Mon Cal cruiser, TIE Fighter & Interceptor, X-Wing, B-Wing, A-Wing, etc.

I'm tempted to get Star Trek: Armada now, just so I can try out this mod.

I just noticed that this mod was mentioned a bit up from my earlier post. Better late than never I guess.

25. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Well if ST lost they'd just send Sam to put right once that had gone wrong. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.