main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

State of the Art - The Industrial Light and Magic special effects thread

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by ShaneP, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh nice trailer. Lots of ILM stuff in that one looks like.

I think Bill George might be on Star Tours 2.0. The reason I say that is because a short while ago there was a picture of Lucas meeting with some Disney Imagineer and George and they were looking at concept stuff for the ride.

But yeah, he could've moved onto Potter 7 by now. That picture came out last year. Maybe the film for the ride is done and he's onto Potter now?

I remember a quote from Hayden Landis over a year ago and he said his next project was Star Tours.

So maybe it is already done? I wouldn't be surprised if it was finished and they were already working on the simulation base part of the ride.

Here's a link to the Landis quote. Bottom paragraph: Landis on Star Tours

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Yeah you never kow with these special projects. These ride films seem to take forever to develop, even if the actual shooting and VFX is relatively short. I was thinking about Bill George since he supervised Twilight which I think was around the time they were confirming Star Tours 2.0. Maybe there's a lot of tweaking involved between the footage and the simulator? I wonder if we'll see ILM guys running in the background again.

3. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_laugh] I hope so! Maybe they can composite Lucas' head onto a podracer and have his pod crash after it's shot by a film critic up on the hill instead of a Tusken Raider? :p

4. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Nice interview with ILM's Roger Guyett and Paul Kavanaugh about their fx work on the latest Trek film.

ILM talks Trek

5. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Here is where Jon Favreau is today: Favreau and a furby

ILM must be getting close to finals on IM2.

6. lionlisure

lionlisure Jedi Knight

Aug 24, 2009
    Yeah I guess it's a busy time now for finishing this summers projects. Any idea what Double Negative are doing on IM2? I would guess their doing the stuff that Orphanage did on the first one, helmet pov's and the like. But they do seem to work on so many films each year these days, they must surely be the biggest vfx company out there? Their quality is great too.

ILM's twitter site teases it's a "big day at ILM"? Curious.

Any gossip on wether ILM are on Cowboys and Aliens? They need another project on the docket for next summer now Battleship has moved and one would assume this would be the logical choice with Faverau. Or were they too late to bid and the Battleship move has left them stranded?

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Cool CNet discussion with Russell Earl about the future of vfx: Earl talks future of vfx

Some pretty large questions asked, but long enough discussion to get into them in-depth.

Thx to ILMvfx for the heads up.

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
  9. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    I thought Double Negative was doing some Whiplash stuff. Could be wrong. And yes, DN is one of biggest VFX shops out there. It's among the 3 or 4 largest ones in England.

As far as that big day, maybe the just got awarded a big project, but can't announce it yet, despite the excitement.

And they're constantly bidding on projects. The Battlehip move doesn't affect the bidding process. If anything they'll have to assign more people or farm out stuff. VFX Supes that are between projects usually help on current bids (tests, etc.).

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I wonder if the "big day" at ILM was Favreau x2. Meaning he was there to view Iron Man 2 stuff, which according to his twitter, he was. But also, he is set to direct Cowboys and Aliens. Maybe him viewing an early test?

11. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Could be. The other one could be Pirates 4, which I haven't heard anything defintive about it.

12. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Read earlier today that Wolfgang Petersen is planningn adaption of Paprika (from Satoshi Kon). That would be a fantastic project to work on. Though I'm not sure Petersen is the right director for it (especially after his 2 last outings, he needs to get back to his earlier work), especially since it's one of the best animated films I've seen, pretty trippy. Would be great if ILM could brin that imagegry to life.

13. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    Paul Huston talks about working at ILM: Huston's career at ILM.

He mentions working on The Last Airbender and Iron Man 2 as his most recent projects.

What a career and projects worked on.

Sounds like he still loves his job too.

14. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    ILM and their Singapore studios work on Iron Man 2 here: ILM Singapore

Former Tippet Studio vfx supervisor Brennan Doyle is the artist supervisor at the studio. Mohen Leo is also a supervisor there.

It mentions ILM-Singapore did 190 shots for the film.

15. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Great links. I'm still trying to remember where that Ep. 1 miniature is shown. Interesting about Mohen Leo, he must have left DD right after 2012 to work on Iron Man 2.

BTW if you want to see the mocap stages at the Letterman facility, be sure to watch the Amazing Race season finale this Sunday.

16. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Cool. Is it going to take place right there or just be by it?

17. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    It's going to take place inside so people might get a chance to see other parts of ILM and LucsArts. It's a challenge where one person is on the mocap stage walking around while the other teamate looks to a monitor and yells to the first person how to navigate a virtual environment (from the Clone Wars looks like). There's a preview at CBS' website:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race/video/?cid=1385862703&pid=9i7YnevFu__PpZ2y56A0zAQzvYL9fcjc&play=true

18. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Wow that sounds interesting. Or it could be laughable. I haven't watched that show in years but Ill have to give it a look when that episode airs.

19. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    John Knoll interview:
    Interview with ILM's John Knoll at RedGiantTV: Knoll looks back

This part of the interview is more of a retrospective look back at how he got into fx and such. There's a part in there bout the history of the rebel Unit and his hand in creating that band of artists.

Iron Man 2
    Vfx world's write up on IM2 and ILM's work on it. ILM and IM2

THX to Ian Failies for the heads up.

20. michealB

michealB Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2010
    hi guys. i'm new here. what do you think about iron man 2 effects?

and wich kind of project rango will be? it will be like a dreamworks or pixar animated feauture or more "photorealistic"?

thanks.

21. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Welcome michaelB.

It's hard to say about the look behind Rango because we have yet to see a shot from it. All that's been written about it though suggests a stylized animation approach.

22. michealB

michealB Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2010
    thanks for the reply, shanerjedi.

23. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    It's up to Verbinski and the art directors, though they have done both kinds of animation, more "photoreal" like the cancelled Frankenstein and Synchronicity to producing something as stylized as The Moving Pyramid.

I would hope to see something stylized like Work in Progress. We probably won't see anything from Rango till the Fall.

24. michealB

michealB Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2010
    according to their new official site, ILM is working on cowboys&aliens. but there is no mention of the final two harry potter movies.

25. michealB

michealB Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2010
    according to their new official site, ILM is working on cowboys&aliens. but there is no mention of the final two harry potter movies.