main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

State of the Art - The Industrial Light and Magic special effects thread

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by ShaneP, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Kaero_Shan

Kaero_Shan Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2006
    Finally a new homepage! I like it so far, but I still have to check it out closely yet.

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    They can't list all films currently in production because they might not have permission from the studios. Notice how Battleship is notably missing.

Though I agree the non mention of HP7ab is worrisome, even though Warner is extremely protective. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed in a respectable publication (maybe not Variety or the Hollywood Reporter). And Cinefex has them listed, they're pretty reliable. It could be a case that everyone assumed it and everyone is using everyone else as confirmation :p.

Of course the most interesting part is the confirmation of I Am Number Four, which I never heard of. I still want to hear/read official confirmations of Pirates 4, MIB3, Super 8, MI4 and Paprika.

3. michealB

michealB Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2010
    hi malducin. so are there rumors that industrial light &magic could work on all the movies you wrote?

i think they could also handle captain america since joe jhoston is the director.

4. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Although Johnston did Wolfman in the UK and the VFX were done in London for that. I think Captain America will shoot in the UK. The only encouraging stuff is that Cinefex reported that Chris Twonsend is VFX Supe (independent), he used to work at ILM.

The others are mostly my speculation. HP7 because Cinefex has it listed. MIB3 because Sonnefeld is involved. Pirates 4 just because I don't think the studio would want to change course even though they have a new director. Super 8 because of JJ Abrahms. MI4 because JJ Abrahms is producing (I guess it's a toss up). Paproka only because the last few Wolfgang Petersen films have been at ILM.

SIGGRAPH is in about 40 days so maybe I can confirm something then.

5. michealB

michealB Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2010

right, Johnston made also wolfman with sony pictures imageworks if i remember right. i hope that ILM could come back to some groundbreaking organic animation like davy jones and his crew, because the last tow years their major projects consisted only of robots and more robots(even if amazing) :)

6. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    No, MPC did the Wolfman transformations. Double Negative was also involved but I don't remember what they did.

ILM has done some organic animation in the last 2 years: the ants in Indiana Jones 4, the Inferi in Harry Potter 6, the Suvernator in Terminator 4, the ice monsters in Star Trek, and lots of digi-doubles in most films. Not sure what the manequins in Confessions of a Shopaholic fit. Granted maybe not as much as other years. But there's more work coming, watch for creature work on The Last Airbender, Battleship, Cowboys and Aliens and of course Rango.

7. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    Dneg did some of the environment work on Wolfman. Perhaps michaelB is mixing up imageworks with Rhythm and Hues, who did work on the film.

I think Cpt. America will likely follow the same model as Wolfman by making use of the fx facilities in the U.K.

8. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    From CGSociety. Profile of ILMer Chris Balog. He used to be Pixar's security guard. Here:Balog profile

9. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Nice interview with ILM's Pablo Helman about The Last Airbender movie here: Pablo Airbender

10. michealB

michealB Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2010
    @shanerjedi: for some reason i have confused "cursed", a wes craven's movie about werewolves, with wolfman. cursed effects and animations were made by sony.

@malducin: yes i know that ILM made some amazing organic animation in the last few years(i would add also spiderwick in the list) but i meant something extensive and innovative, like the pirates movies.

nice interview with pablo helman. i 'd like to ask a thing: is the last airbender a pivotal big budget movie for ILM, a project like transformers, iron man or star trek that they think will compete for an academy award with the others tentpole blockbusters like inception, iron man 2, tron legacy etc? or is it more a medium size budget movie with some great effects that will be overlooked? i know that nobody of you has seen the movie yet, but what's your impression from the clips, the trailers and your inside knowledgement of the company? thanks.

11. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    yeah, Airbender is a huge ILM project since they are about the only major vendor working on the film, which is more rare nowadays, say as opposed to HP7 or Narnia 3 which has several major players involved. Tron is mostly a one shop show as well, DD. My preliminary feel is that it might make the bakeoff 7 (pending viewing). One of the major highlights of Airbender will actually be the fire and water effects. They'll actually showcase their improved fire engine at SIGGRAPH.

BTW, that Balog interview is trully inspiring, I mean from security guard to comp artist is amazing.

12. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
  13. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Rango is looking very interesting although that teaser they released a week ago truly baffles me.

Yeah, The Last Airbender looks like a huge project not only for ILM but for Kerner Optical. Look at the large number of people credited on iMDB from there and it's not a complete list.

BTW, it looks like ILM is indeed working on Super 8(Abram's latest).

edit:

Go to the Red Tails thread here and look at the replica planes they built for the reshoots and cockpit insert closeups and shots.

Don't those stage buildings in some of those shots look familiar?
    They should. A portion of the reshoots and additional photograhpy was shot at the old ILM facility, now Kerner Optical.

14. michealB

michealB Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2010
    very interesting and funny the design for the rango carachters.

about the last airbender: in the credits on imdb there is an actor credited as 3d cyberscan model for an ancient fire nation warrior. i wonder if they scanned the actor for an all cg human.

15. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    They might be using him for digi-stunt work.

Behold Rango

16. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Haha that looks great. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Reptile Style!

Didn't see those Red Tail photos you mention Shane. I did read that Philip Bloom showed Lucasfilm how a Canon 5D mkII could be used to shoot HD and that they used that to shoot tight shots in the mockup cabins. And to answer you question on that thread, ILM only has indoor mocap stages at the Letterman. Anything external would have to be done at Kerner.

17. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Sorry the photos are linked in that thread not shown. In the background you can see the old ILM stages. Pretty cool they're bringing Kerner into the mix.

18. michealB

michealB Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2010
    new rango trailer shows amazing carchter animation. my favourite bit is when rango enters the saloon, with all these creepy creatures: you can clearly see the touch of mark "crash" macreery on the twisted design of the animals. it's only my impression, but i also saw a coen bros influence in some of the sequences.

19. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
  20. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    This.

:)

21. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
  22. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    ILM wannabes.

[face_not_talking]

Oh, all right. Nice vray work.

23. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    I lol at the guys in bunny suits with machine guns. [face_laugh]

By the way, ILM.com has updated their site with a new project: Pirates 4: On Stranger Tides

24. Kaero_Shan

Kaero_Shan Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2006

I'm really looking forward to not only the film itself but ILM's work in particular.
    Is IMDB accurate in that Charles Gibson is VFX supervisor on Pirates 4?

One question regarding their website. Is it possible to find their great feature "The Show" (about Dead Man's Chest)somewhere? I tried it here, but without success: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://ilm.com

By the way, if there would be more features like "The Show", they could really make a great DVD like "Behind the Magic". I would certainly buy it! (or from any other fx house).

25. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Yes, Gibson is the overall fx supervisor like he was on the first and third Pirates.