main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Steve Sansweet to leave Lucasfilm in 6 months

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Grimby , Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    TFN reported today that Steve Sansweet has announced he will be leaving Lucasfilm in 6 months. No word on where he is going or who his replacement will be as Lucasfilm head of fan relations, but the article on StarWars.com says Sansweet will be "focus[ing] on new ventures, at least some of them Star Wars related."

I wonder if he's looking to go back to the Wall Street Journal, or perhaps something else in journalism.

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Really surprising news!

What I wonder about is, why he's leaving. Is it because his daily dose of SW was too much for a too long time? Or will he stay the same SW fan as we know him and is just looking for a new experience?

And of course, can we send in applications? [face_batting]

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    lol, I'm sure tons of people would kill to have his job.

My guess is, the movies are done with and he knows Star Wars fandom is never going to be like it was between 1998 and 2005 again unless the live action series (when it finally gets made) becomes a mega-hit like Lost, or Lucas decides to make more movies. Maybe he's just ready to do something else that is the same caliber of challenge that it was to be the head of fan relations during the prequels.

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    When one of the top guys jumps ship, look out. [face_worried]

5. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm worried a bit as well, but I hope it's just the reason about "ready for new experiences".

But I fear a bit for the next Celebration Europe or Jedi-Con, he was one of the biggest events in my view. A very nice guy, to who almost everyone can talk to like a normal person. I will miss him at those events!

6. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    :D Thinking of a career change, Skiara? ;)

I guess I can't blame him; I bet things are a lot less exciting at Lucasfilm nowadays compared to some years ago, Grimby's right. I mean, we see it here on the boards too - knowing how things were during the Prequels, the status quo can seem a little... dull. Well, good luck to him, whatever he decides to try next. :)

Still, it's quite a blow to the fandom. Let's hope we'll get a nice replacement who works well with the fans. At least they've got six months to find and train a replacement now.

7. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    :( He will be missed.

I still hope that he will have something to do with Star Wars along the lines.

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    At least it wouldn't be the worst job... and one would see a bit more of the world than one who does a usual job. ;)

9. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    Well, he's not getting any younger and has been doing this job for a long time now. And it's not exactly a 9-5, Monday-Friday type of job either so it has got to wear a person out, no matter how much you love Star Wars. I wouldn't try to read too much into this news.

He's be absolutely great for us fans and he's leaving behind some very large shoes to fill. I hope that LFL can find someone who can do a great job with fan relations. It won't be easy to find the right person but I'm confident that they won't let us down.

10. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Does anyone know if he has some kind of "second in command" who might be able to take over his job? Or do you think they'll bring in a new guy from outside?

11. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    Don't know, if there is a second in comand, if I remember right, he didn't mentioned something like that...
    It is a bit sad to see him go. Meeting him at the different Cons was always a pleasure. But I am not sure, if like to have his job... ;)
    I wish Steve the best for his future! :)

12. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I'll miss him, he's been really great.

It won't be easy for the next person to fill his shoes. He's leaving behind a legacy, that's for sure.

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    That is one of the questions we should have asked him at one of the jedi-cons. Interesting, especially if he would have become ill for such a show etc. - and of course for a situation like this.

I'm curious who will be the next one! :)

I guess they won't take a whole unknown new guy or gurl. It would be too hard to get accepted by the fans.

14. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Oh, I don't know. If the new guys comes in with an official announcement of new movies or something like that, I'm sure he'll be welcomed with open arms. ;)

And that's not really a question you ask people, is it? "Hi Mr Sansweet, who will be doing your job when you're gone?" Would be a little weird. ;)

I've never met him, but he sure sounds like a nice guy!

//edit:
    I have a spell checker and I still can't spell. :p

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I got to know* him as a friendly, normal person who is very fan-based. :)

*just from the few short talks at jedi-con - not that I know him much more. :p

16. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Have they said who might be replacing him or did I miss that?

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I haven't heard anything so far... but I would like to know as well!

18. Pectabyte

Pectabyte Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2011
    Isn't that the Crippled guy on Family guy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.