main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver Stormtrooper armour

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by neil_, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neil_

neil_ Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2007
    Hey guys,

I remember back in my youth (like 3 years ago) looking at some cool Stormtrooper armour that you could buy online, and was custom made for your exact measurements. It was like $500 which at the time was out of the question due to tuition fees. Now that I'm working (read: making money) I am thinking of getting some for halloween/any-other-time and was wondering if you have experience buying armour or making it yourselves. I'm not too skilled at arts and crafts which is why I'm looking to buy maybe.

Anyone know where I can buy armour, or where there are super-easy instructions on how to make Stormtrooper armour which looks really good?

Thanks!
    -Neil

2. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2002
    Hey Neil,

Antonio here, Im a member of the Badlands Garrison for the 501st Legion. I was wondering what kind of armor you are looking for? Are you looking for a high quality set of armor or just something for halloween? The quality of armor that we use with the 501st Ranges from at least $500 (if you are lucky) to $900.. but that is just the base price.

Customizing it to suit your size and whatever add ons you want will push the price tag high.

Do you plan to maintain it and join the Legion in trooping events? or do you just want to use a costume for certain events?

Add ons are: Boots, blaster, body suit, Helmet gear (Fans - trust me, this is very important; Voice Amp - if you want to be able to speak in-character and such; flat lenses - standard bubble lenses are good for short term uses but flat lenses are good for longer hours; etc...)

Check out our website: www.501st.com for resource links and such. This will help you greatly in finding the stuff you need. I will find out in our legion's forums (sorry, this is a members only site) if there are anyone in the legion selling extra armor. Buying from 501st members assures you that the armor you're getting is high quality and will pass our requirements for membership (if you plan to join the legion).

You'll notice that members start with the standard trooper armor first, but eventually a lot of us get into customizing different sets: Clonetrooper, Special ops, Sandtroopers, etc...

Cheers

Antonio
    TK-483

3. neil_

neil_ Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2007
    Hi Antonio,

Thanks for answering. I'm looking to get some good quality armour (not cheap stuff for halloween from Toys R' Us). I haven't really considered joining the 501st but would definitely take care of the armour.

What do trooping events entail? I live in the lower mainland (hence posting to the Vancouver board). Are the events all local? On weekends? Would the events be with the 501st or with the local garrison (Badlands I think?)?

For the time being I'm interested in standard Stormtrooper armour not the other variants.

Looking on whitearmor.net (linked from 501st.com) I see that I can actually buy a kits for the armour and piece it together myself, hence getting the right size. I will definitely look more into this myself, and do lots of research.

I would definitely like to get the accessories like boots, and the fans for the helmet sound like a good idea too.

That being said I think it's time to research more about the type of kits I can buy, but I'd appreciate any responses regarding more information about the 501st and what they do locally.

Thanks,
    -Neil

4. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2002
    Ive posted an armor for sale request in our 501st forums. HOpefully I get a reply soon about who has a set for sale. Normally the responses to that kind of thread is quick since a lot of people in our Legion are doing projects and stuff.

There should also be links on the 501st site on where to get the misc stuff like the boots and fans.

As for the 501st activities. It greatly varies with the Garrisons. the 501st is a worldwide non-profit organization divided into garrisons (States in teh US, provinces in Canada, countires and the like). BC has a small number of members, so we have a Squad called the Outerrim Squadron. But our squadron also falls under the Badlands Garrison.

As per our local activities, it all depends on the group. We basically do whatever activities that we can all join in. Like the PNE Parade, and possibily the V-Con this October. We basically coordinate with each other so we can all go trooping in a group.. The more Stormtroopers, the merrier the trooping event becomes.

But you dont have to be a member of the 501st legion to wear a quality trooper armor and troop around with us. The Legion was basically created so that its easier to coordinate with others who also have costumes to make any event much more interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.