main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Straw Poll

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Just_A_Slacker, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    Just a couple of questions that only require a yes/no answer. It's non binding of course but would serve to give an indication of how people feel.

1) Are the mods/admins out of touch with the concerns of the regular posters?

2) Are the mods/admins doing a good job of leading the boards?

3) Would you favor a shakeup in the mods/admins by way of replacing them with new blood?

4) If you could, would you cast a vote of "No Confidence" in the current administration?

5) Mods and Admins are essentially permanent positions. Would you prefer a system where mods and admins are a temporary position that would keep a mod on for 6 months and then replace him with someone different?

6) Do you feel that mods/admins should only debate board issues in private?

7) Do you feel that regular users should be allowed to read-only the Mod Squad threads that do not directly effect board security?

8) Do you feel that mods/admins use their power to their own whims?

9) Do you feel that mods/admins should be held to a stricter code than normal members, including harsher punishments for indiscretions?

10) Do you feel that all mods/admins should publically comment on issues in the Communications forum on a regular basis?

Please, no socks. If you don't wish to post your opinions publically, please PM me and I will just put your results in as anonymous. Yes or no answers only please.

2. Just_A_Slacker

Aug 4, 2001
    For the record, here are my answers...

Yes.

No.

3) Would you favor a shakeup in the mods/admins by way of replacing them with new blood?
    Yes.

4) If you could, would you cast a vote of "No Confidence" in the current administration?
    Yes.

5) Mods and Admins are essentially permanent positions. Would you prefer a system where mods and admins are a temporary position that would keep a mod on for 6 months and then replace him with someone different?
    Yes.

No.

7) Do you feel that regular users should be allowed to read-only the Mod Squad threads that do not directly effect board security?
    Yes.

Yes.

9) Do you feel that mods/admins should be held to a stricter code than normal members, including harsher punishments for indiscretions?
    Yes.

10) Do you feel that all mods/admins should publically comment on issues in the Communications forum on a regular basis?
    Yes.

3. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Just_A_Slacker, this is just an off-topic question because I'm totally curious. Will you ever or have you ever posted in any movie forum about what you thought about any of the Star Wars films? If you put half the passion into that as you do in waving the flag of oppression against the users from the tyrany administration, you could be a prolific Star Wars poster.

4. Just_A_Slacker

Aug 4, 2001
    Yes I have (And if you looked at my recently posted list you would see them), but you know, I just have no desire to post in the worthless threads in those forums. You might have a fun time posting in the "Leonardo DiCaprio Would Have Made Great Anakin" thread, but I don't."

Now, unless you have something substantive to add to this thread I bid you "Good Day".

5. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I do post in Communications every single day. I listen to what people have to say and I do my best to work with everyone to make it a better place. But let me say that for all the effort I put into that, your continual claims of mod abuses and gaps between members and admins does more to widen the problem than to help it.

From what I hear via PM's and when I weed out drama by the 10 or so people who resort to that is that we are doing a good job. So what I'm saying is that if your intent were to really serve the boards and make it better you'd open your eyes and see that you're actually more of the problem than the token admins you like to continually put on trial.

6. Just_A_Slacker

Aug 4, 2001
    Obviously reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Note where I say in the intitial post "Just a couple of questions that only require a yes/no answer". Your tirade against me and my "motives" for stiring up drama (gained from reading between the lines, another skill it would do you well to learn) was not my intention, nor was it necessary.

It's just a way to gauge how people think things are going here. Beleive it or not I do want improvements in this place.

Now, unless you have something else you're dismissed.

7. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999

[color=blue]you're dismissed[/color][hr][/blockquote] I thought you wanted mod input?

Vertical

8. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    DS, if you are right and most people are content/pleased with how things are, then the poll will show that. He isn't forcing people to complain or argue. Is it really so bad to ask the questions?

JGM did the same thing a few weeks ago and it didn't cause any problems. Though, I don't think it actually helped all that much either. :/

EDIT: And JAS, you really should drop the condescending tone. That isn't helping anything. There is no reason to dismiss anyone. [face_plain]

9. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Unlike you, I'm not resorting to flaming by accusing someone of lacking reading skills. This said as I work on my graduate school homework. [face_plain]

As I've asked you so many times in the past, name specifics. You create these threads that cite nothing particular and by its very nature reflect your on-going campaign against the administration. Quit using polls, generic threads, and sweeping stereotypes to somehow generalize what you think we're made of as people.

10. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Well, I say let people answer the poll, despite the slanted questions.

Vertical

11. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    I'm starting to think that people come here daily to get their fix of confrontations.

Why don't we all just post and get over the fact that some people have colors and those people make the rules. Things seem to run smoothly when you take away this forum.

I truly believe that the mods don't go out of their way to make your time here a bad one. People have to realize what this place is. It's a place where Star Wars fans meet up and interact. It's a place to make new friends that have at least one common intrest. Don't try to make it into something that it's not.

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Yes, they are extremely slanted. Gay-Len, I don't mind hearing what folks have to say at all. I always want constructive feedback so that I may be more responsive and become better. Jedi Greg Maddux's thread awhile back was a good idea, something he normally wouldn't post. Just_A_Slacker has spent nearly his entire posting career in Communications. Big difference. Please post what you think. But I look a little beyond that and see the way he chose to word his questions, the types of questions, and most importantly I consider the source.

13. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Those questions are pretty general. I think many of the mods/admins do a pretty decent job, but there are a few that spoil the bunch.

I do like the ideas of rotating moderatorships. After a certain amount of time, many mods seem to get too tired and start displaying negative attitudes towards users in general. This is something that everyone is susceptible to, but if there's a particular moderator who complains about others alot, why not releave them? I think a rotating modship for some forums would be a good idea. Keep things fresh.

14. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002

NO - In my experience they make every effort to stay in touch with regular posters

Yes

NO

NO

NO - Mods get burned out easily, and a good mod is hard to find. I wouldn't want any limits on their being a mod. We should keep the current mods we have happy because they are all doing a great job from what I can see. Mods are volunteers who devote their time and energy to make these boards a better place for the users. They need to receive our thanks, and our respect. Being a mod is a hard job and if you have never been one you wouldn't understand. I moderated a couple of boards on another large Star Wars messageboard community and I resigned last year after 15 months. Now I am a FF RSA. (I was elected to the City Rep position by members in San Diego, and then Elected as RSA by other RSAs and ADMIN) So far I have recieved a lot of support and there haven't been any problems on that end.

I believe they need their own forum to discuss issues with other mods and get advice.

NO

Definitely not

Yes, mods do have to set an example for other users.

I think they should definitely visit and read the comments that are posted from time to time to keep abreast of issues, whether they choose to post in the forum or not is up to the mods discretion.

15. Just_A_Slacker

Aug 4, 2001
    To Vert: Yeah, I want input. No, I don't want his derailing this thread with his accusations. Yes or no, that is all that was required or asked for. He didn't even try to answer the questions and let a discussion develop. If he has nothing to say on topic he can get out of my thread.

Gay Len: All polls are slanted.

Sapient: I'm glad you're in grad school. Wanna cookie? And if you go back and look, I spent tons of time in YJCC too once. And while I do read a lot on the movie boards, I just don't post there much because most of the topics are crap.

Now if you are all done trying to hijack the thread, try answering the questions with a yes or no response or please leave.

16. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    If people don't agree, they will say 'No' to it.

But some of them are good questions. There has been talk about encouraging mods that usually just post thoughts in MS to also come to Comms and participate. There has also been talk about bringing policy issues to Comms instead of MS. Its a good idea to try to guage the opinions of the regular members about this stuff. Even if a few of the other questions lean against the admins, people could ignore those ones and focus on the others. Nothing had been done (publically, anyway) to forward those ideas yet.

17. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000

For the most part, no.

For the most part, yes.

Not if good mods are demoted, no.

No.

No. If a mod does a good job, why replace him after 6 months?

No. The regular users should be let in on some issues.

No.

I've seen some instances of this, but the majority of them don't.

Yes.

Yes.

18. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Lotsa mods answering this one. Just goes to prove they are around Communications.

But to have a 'non-colored' person answer ;)

Yes and no. Overall, they do a good job. While they are out of touch on occasion (as well as wrong), the majority of the time things turn out allright with communication. (Not always, but that's why we have rugs) ;)

Considering they are ordinary people like you and I, yes, they are. The mods are wrong, make mistakes, and do correct them sometimes, but I don't think I could do better than what they are doing now. Modding isn't easy.

Somewhat, yes. New blood brings new ideas, but also new problems. And not all old ideas are bad. I think mods should continually be evaulated by themselves, each other, as well as JC members.

No. It would do no good. I don't see other eligible candidates lined up who would do a better job. Overall, they are doing good.

Perhaps. It would allow new blood as well as stopping old mods from stagnating. However, some mods do a good job and I see no reason to remove them. And we would also need a host of reliable, available members. Are there enough of those?

No. Issues should be discussed both in private and public. We need to know what's going on.

Yes. I think it would be a good idea for some of these boards to made open for the public to read so we have some idea what goes on. The Mod Squad does post weekly updates though, which I think is very good.

On occasion, yes, and some more than others. If a mod abuses his/her power, he/she should be removed from modship and take the consequences for his/her actions. Overall, no.

In some ways, yes. Mods are examples on the boards. They should act accordingly. They are also just ordinary humans though, so an error now and then (while still punished) should not be considered a serious problem.

Yes, they should. But mostly they do as far as I can tell.

That's just my 2 cents. Nothing personal against you J_A_S :)

EDIT: For claryifying questions to Yes/No answers

19. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    JAS, may I publicly announce that your attitude towards the administration is disgusting. There is no reason for you to flame Sapient, or to act macho in saying, "you're dismissed". And then you say "he can get out of my thread.". When you post something on an open forum it's availible for everyone to see. You can't force someone not to read it or post it in about their concerns.

Sapient wasn't posting non-topic posts, mind you. He was talking about you and your attitude towards the administration, which you also revealed in your questions.

As for the questions, I am fed up with people complaining about the administration and the rules. If you don't like the way it's going, leave. You didn't make the rules, and most likely you're not going to change the rules. This complaining is really starting to irritate me, so I'm not going to spend my time aruguing with your or anyone else on the subject. Thank you.

...and a Jango

20. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    If you only knew the horrible things a large group of us has had to handle today, you'd be sick to your stomach. Say what you will about the administration, but I pride all of us involved in today's fiasco for keeping it out of the public's eye to the best of our ability. My hats off to you guys. There's alot more that goes into 'volunteering' than you'll ever know. I hope some of you never have some of this stuff happen to you. All I really want is to talk about Star Wars. Seriously, that's why I joined and it's why I come back.

21. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001

There may be a few who are out of touch, but a lot of them care about this place, and want to improve it in any way possible. Why else would they devote so much of their free time, and why else would they put up with all the crap that some regular users like to throw at them?

As a whole, yes. There may be a bad apple here or there, but that doesn't mean the entire orchard should be cut down.

There are quite a few good moderators right now. I see no reason to get rid of all of them, just because a few may not be up to par.

Nope. If I didn't like the way a lot of things here were going, I'd find somewhere else to discuss Star Wars. There are alternatives out there.

Again, there are some good mods out there, who continually do the right thing, and work hard to keep this place running nicely. It isn't fair to the community to get rid of those who care, simply because a certain amount of time has elapsed. Perhaps they should get a "vacation" every so often, when they are relieved of responsibility for a week or two, and they can relax and become a regular user for a while.

Not all board issues. If something involves security issues, or particular users, then yes. Otherwise, no. (see also: long rant here)

I think that threads not related to board security or certain users should be posted and discussed in Communications. I brought this up a week ago in another thread. (see also: long rant here)

Seriously, what does someone have to gain from having power at a Star Wars message board?

Yes. They are supposed to be people to look up to. However, I don't think that their punishments should be too harsh, since they are human, and they should be able to make a mistake once and a while.

Yes, but I can't blame them for not wanting to discuss the same things in three different forums (Mod Squad, Communications, and the AC). They shouldn't have to comment on every issue, as long as they read the threads. I read most of the threads here, but I don't always comment. (see also: long rant here)

22. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    While I agree somewhat with you, Red_Oktobur, you are responding way to harshly. If you had been a mod, it would have made me have a problem with the administration. That's harsh, very harsh and IMHO, uncalled for.

Mods should listen to complaints and address them. If they don't, there will be disgruntled and angry members. Communication is essential for an organization's health.

However, there are people who do complain too much or nitpick. Perhaps they have a valid reason for doing so, perhaps not. But a little patience and understanding would go a long way in determining what's really going on.

While JAS seems to only be posting in Communications lately with problems, some of the things he posts are indeed good things or at least things that don't do any harm. If he doesn't like the organization, he should indeed leave.

EDIT: DarthSapient, I do applaud you and other mods for keeping such a calm face on all that goes on. It shows how much respect you have for this board and its members. I've done some modding on a much smaller sw board and it's a LOT tougher than it looks. Keep up the good work.

23. Just_A_Slacker

Aug 4, 2001
    Perhaps I shoudl try again.

Yes
    No

That's all you need to say in response to the questions (which you haven't even tried to answer). Accusing me of being an instigator is not a solution, nor is proclaiming you are just all that and a bag of chips because you are volunteer and claim to do things we can't verify. It is just a straw pole to see how people feel. It isn't a personal attack against you.

24. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Stands up and applauds Red_Oktobur.

1) Mostly, no.
    2) Yes.
    3) No.
    4) No.
    5) No.
    6) No, but I dont' think this happens now anyway.
    7) No.
    8) Generally no.
    9) Yes.
    10) No necessarily.

~H~

25. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I think Communications in and of itself is biased. I doubt the average Joe User knows about this forum, and if he does then he stays out of it. If he didn't, We'd have a lot more posts.

Then the people who come to this forum either
    A) Feel something is wrong with the boards and what to try and change it
    B) Have greivances against admins and try and change them
    C) Hang around for the hell of it

I'm not classifing you as either A, B, or C but I seem to think that since the whole point of Communications is for people to post what they think is wrong with the boards, you're going to get a whole lot of general negativeness here, even if the boards as a whole are doing great because out of however several thousand indivigual people post here on a semi-regular basis (looking at the stats generally 3,500 usernames log in every day) someone is obviously going to have a problem with something even if everyone else feels their problem is baseless.

Now I want to stress that I'm not saying "JAS, your problems are baseless", I'm just pointing out that Communications isn't a place people go into and say "Everythings great".

EDIT:

Some are, some aren't, but the majority of them are I feel.

Leading? I don't think the mods "lead" the boards at all. If they all went up and left and werereplcaed by ModBot V3.4 the boards would still go on just fine. I think they are doing an excellent job moderating it though.

All new blood? Heck naw, chaos would reign. I think that chopping off dead wood, promoting some mods to manager that show potential and good thinking, and then adding more mods would be good though. Nothing crazy, maybe drop 3-4 people who aren't very active, promote 3-4 Mods to Managers, and promote 4-5 mods

As a whole? No. If it were on indivigual mods, I would on a few.

I think doing a 6 month run as a mod with the option of being promoted to manager if it were felt they were doing well would be nice. Or perhaps another 4 month run as mod if it were felt they had the boards best interests at heart.

Some issues, yes, others, no. But the system is such that having two boards would be superflous, so while I'm curious to see what goes on in MS, I say keep it all private.

I think #6 answered this :p

Some of them, like LMM have, but on the whole, no.

Of course.

I would much rather have mods moderate their forums and come onto into Comms if time allowed.

¤Night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.