main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Strength and Honor: Star Wars/Gladiator Fic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Arwyn_Whitesun, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    Hi! Thanks for stopping by. I stared this fic some time ago, but set it aside. However, after watching Gladiator on network TV last week, I took it out, dusted it off and decided to post it to see if there would be any interest in it. Also, although I usually don't write crossovers, I couldn't resist combining two of my favorite movies and characters.

Now, I don't profess to being an expert on Roman history, culture or Latin (I'm just a lowly English Lit major) so, please, forgive and try to look over any errors you may find in this fic. For example, the movie Gladiator was inaccurate in some instances, particularly as it related to Commodus. He was Emperor for twelve years, not for the several months that appear to pass in the movie. But, I will probably be following the movie more than Roman history for this fic, just to remain consistent with the movie. Thanks again, and hope you enjoy it.

---------------------------------

TITLE: Strength and Honor: A Star Wars/Gladiator Crossover Fic
    BY: Arwyn Whitesun

TIME: A few years before events of TPM - Obi-Wan is 21

SUMMARY: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan find themselves in Imperial Rome during the reign of Commodus. Qui-Gon has lost his memory and been sold as a slave to a gladiator training school, where he befriends a general turned slave turned gladiator known as the Spaniard. Obi-Wan, meanwhile, searches for his master, posing as the son of a Roman and his slave mistress from Britannia.

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the characters created by George Lucas nor the Star Wars concept; Lucasfilm does. I also do not own the characters created by David Franzoni, John Logan and William Nicolson. I am very respectfully borrowing them because I love the Star Wars universe and the movie Gladiator. I have no intent to profit from writing this fanfic.

---------------------------------

"Spaniard! Spaniard!"

The voices roared in the heat of the bright afternoon sun. Maximus sat in the cage where the gladiators waited their turn to enter the arena. He coolly and methodically honed his sword as he listened to the crowd scream out his name. They called him the Spaniard. It was as good a name as any he supposed.

Once his name had been Maximus Decimus Meridas, Commanding General of the Army of the North of the Roman Empire and loyal subject to the late Emperor Marcus Aurelius. Now he was known only as the Spaniard, and he was nothing more than a slave and a killer. Once he was done honing his sword, he stood and walked swiftly down the aisle of the cage. As he passed, his fellow gladiators chanted his name.

"Spaniard! Spaniard!"

Alongside the cage, Aelius Proximo, owner of the gladiator school to which Maximus was bound as a slave, walked quickly beside him. He was a big man with sharp blue eyes and a snow-white beard in a red, craggy face. His voice was thick and gravelly as he admonished Maximus.

"All you do is kill, kill, kill!" he shouted through the bars. "You make it look too easy, Spaniard. Stretch it out. Give the crowd something to chew on, to savor. Remember, you're not just some butcher. You're an entertainer."

Maximus strode past the sitting gladiators as Proximo continued to bark instructions at him. He remained silent, ignoring his master. As he entered the glare and heat of the arena, the crowd leapt to its feet.

"Spaniard! Spaniard!"

Flower petals floated around him, thrown from the arms of laughing women and children. He gazed around the packed arena. The sun shone, hot and bright, on the shouting, screaming, sweating faces. Maximus turned his attention back to the white, blazing sands of the arena. Six opponents awaited him. He quickly assessed them and chose the one he would take on first. It was never the one Maximus judged the weakest. No, he always went for the biggest, the strongest. Once he'd killed that one, the others would know they had no chance. He gave his opponents a brisk, perfunctory nod. Then, sword raised, he waded into them. Emotionless, mechanical, Maximus did his work.

The crowd roared, but he w

2. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I can't wait to see where you take this unique story, Arwyn. :)

3. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Wow.... (starts hyperventilating) Historical fic w/ Obi and Qui.... I've died and gone to heaven, right? Right? Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh.....
    ...And as you can see no intelligent comments from ME tonight!

^^^^ THIS is a compliment. A BIG one. ;)

4. Jan_AQ

Jan_AQ Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2002
    Nice so far. :) More please! I loved the descriptions. how will Qui get his memory back? :(

5. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    You are having Obi and Maximus in the same story...
    :::swoons:::
    Obi and Maximus [face_love]

Arwyn this is excellent so far.
    I am loving it! I am I am!
    You are so brilliant!

:::Gives Arwyn a hug:::
    You know just how to make a girl who's ill feel better :)

Maeve

6. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Wow! YAY!! A new Arwyn fic!!

*ahem*

WOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I'm done now! 8-}

First off, great start, Arwyn, as usual!! :)

I loved the description of Obi (of course), and you got Maximus dead on!!

I wonder, though...

Will we ever find out how Obi and Qui ended up in ancient Rome, and why Qui has lost his memory but Obi hasn't?

Either way, looking forward to more!

:)

7. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Wonderful beginning, Arwyn!

:)

8. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

Fabulous start, Arwyn! capturing the visceral blood, sweat and toil of the brutal Gladiator era.

Beautifully written with vivid descriptions of premier warrior Maximus, amnesiac Qui-Gon and the always stunning Ossian.

Definitely the makings of a first class adventure, sure to provide some dazzling spectacle as well.

Positively, thumbs up!

9. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Heck with it- I would make the trip to ancient Rome if he would smile at me like that :)

10. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Excellent start, Arwyn. Lovely descriptions, with questions that must be answered. :)

Can't wait for more. :)

11. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    WHOO ARWYN....

Another gret story by a master storyteller...

Grat job and I really cant wait to read more...

This is a very intresting topic...and I really really cant wait to see where you take this one...

PT

12. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Arwyn, you are insane, woman?! :D Another fic? It's great for us, but I can't help but think your fingers are going to start wearing down to the bone from all the typing. :D It's a really interesting start, I'm intrigued to see where this goes.

13. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Excellent Arwyn! Off we go on another wonderful adventure!

Can't wait!

Sabe126

14. MjR

MjR Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2002
    Now THIS is interesting!!

I just love your other fic "Mirror" and Gladiator is my all-time favourite movie, so I can't wait to see what happens...

:) :D [face_love] :cool:

15. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    They'd also had that same pale, lovely skin, reddish gold hair and sky-storm eyes.
    I loved that line Arwyn - that has to be on of the best descriptions of Obi Wan ever!
    This is going to be very interesting - if the thought of Obi in ancient Rome doesn't kill me! Ah! Rome!
    I also loved the Cupid's toes line!
    Is very excited about this fic and has now lost all ability to put together coherant thoughts - so I'll just go run off and drool at the thought of Obi in a toga!

16. Ewanfan51

Ewanfan51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    Thanks for this wonderful new fic and those delightful descriptions of Ossian,, yum....

Poor Qui though stuck in the gladiator role. With amnesia no less.
    How is Obi going to find his master, let alone save him?

More please

17. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I love the roman time period! :)

I have never seen a crossover like this before with Star Wars.

I can't wait to see where you're taking this next, Arwyn! :)

Awesome begining! :D

18. jedi_bounty

jedi_bounty Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Yay! Another great story from Arwen!

You know, the first time I ever saw Gladiator was when they played it on tv. I'm so glad I got to watch it so I'd know what was going on in this story.

This story is great Arwyn and I know it can only get better (how can you go wrong with so many cuties? :) )

19. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    Very, very, very promising!!! I'm hooked!

20. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Arwyn, how do you manage to do this?! So many wondeful stories.

*sighs* I don't have time to read all your marvelous works!! More soon, I hope? :D

21. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    All i can think of is WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Can't wait for more. :D

22. Psycho-Freak

Psycho-Freak Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    Wow! Wonderfull start!

I really don't have time to read another story but who can resist? I'm already hooked. :D

Lovely description of Ossian.

Can't wait for more.

23. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
  24. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    :eek: OMG!!!! Obi and Maximus and Qui in togas :eek:

THUD!!!

OK now that's outta my system. :p

Nice beginning Arwyn Very interesting premise. So can we assume that this happens on a mission to a "backward" planet? How'd Qui loose his memory? and get beat?

Definitely need more!

:D The drooling Wookiee

25. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    Wow, thanks everyone for responding. Sorry I'm just now getting back to replying. Was sick yesterday with a migraine. I was kind of worried a crossover wouldn't find an audience, but I'm thrilled to see you all! :D Thanks!

Before I resopnd individually, I just want to say that since I will be doing research for this fic and want it to, as accurately as I can, reflect the richness and complexity of the Roman Empire, will do my best to post as often as I can. It won't be every day, but I will get posts up as soon as I can. This is a fic I've been wanting to write for a long time and I have no intention of abandoning it, so if the posts don't come every day, that's only because I'm reading like crazy about the Romans and their fantatsic empire. Thanks again for showing interest in it. I'm very excited about writing it and knowing others are interested in it makes it twice as exciting. :D

The Fallen Thanks, The Fallen! I hope it will be an interesting journey.

Wild Huntress Thanks, Wild Huntress! I'm a big fan of historical fiction, so this will be my first attempt at it. I'm a little nervous, but also looking foward to it.

Jan AQ Thanks, Jan AQ! I'll get the next post up as soon as I can.

Obis Grl Thanks, Obis Grl. Yep, Obi-Wan and Maximus and Qui-Gon. (What can I say? I like him too. :)) Hope you're feeling much better.

Astroanna Thanks, AA! Yes, I'll show in a future post exactly how Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon wound up in this situation.

Cascadia Thanks, Cascadia! Glad to see you here!

Sugar Bear Thanks, SB! I was hoping you'd be interested in this fic. :) Well, I hope to provide the spectacle. I've learned so much about the Roman Empire I wonder if I can even begin to capture one tenth of its splendor, but I will try.

Padawan Kitara You and me both, sister! ;)

Jedi Suzuran Thanks, Jedi Suzuran! More will definitely be forthcoming.

Padawan Travina Thanks, PT! I must be crazy starting another story when I already have two up (and believe it or not, have nother one nipping at my heels begging to be written), but after seeing Gladiator the other night, then buying the DVD, I had to pick this story up again after having abandoned it a year ago and write it.

Naw Ibo Yes, I am insane! Very insane! :D Thanks, Naw Ibo. Well, I will admit my fingers are getting a pretty good workout, but it keeps my typing skills fresh. Never know when I might have to pound a keyboard again to make a few bucks. ;)

Sabe Thanks, Sabe! Yep, another adventure. I must be crazy starting another one, but everyone I know says I am. [face_mischief]

MjR Thanks, MjR! Glad you're enjoying "Mirror" and I know what you mean about "Gladiator." And having loved movies about the Romans since I was a kid, I was really excited when "Gladiator" came out in 2000. Now, I'm sort of living my dream of finally writing about that period of history, with two of my fave SW characters in it.

FAB Thanks, FAB! Again, I may be way off with some of the stuff I write in this fic, but I though since Ewan is Scottish, Obi-Wan would probably look like he was from Britiannia to the Romans. And, speaking of togas, let us not forget one of the Roman's favorite ways to spend the day. The bath houses! ;)

Ewansfan51 Thanks, Ewansfan! Yes, that will be quite the task for Obi-Wan.

Sara Kenobi Thanks Sara! I love the Roman Time period too. Fascinating time! The contrast between the great achievements of the Romans in so many things against their fascination with the cruelest, bloodiest spectator sport of all time: the gladitorial games.

Jedi Bounty Glad you got to see Gladiator, JB! Great movie! Just great! Yes, I do have a thing for Maximus. Yum! [face_love]

Shezan Thanks, Shezan. I'll do my best to keep you hooked. :D

Sheleigh Being a little insane helps. [face_mischief] No, just kidding. I love to write, so squeezing in the time, though hard to do having to work full-time, is something I look

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.