main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Superman Returns!

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by DonC, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Gone is McG and JJ Abrahams. In are Bryan Singer and the dudes who co-wrote X2.

First Batman Begins does things right. Now we have a good team doing Superman.

Now if only we can bury Catwoman under a rock and convince Jack Black he really doesn't want to play Green Lantern. Then us DC fans will be set.

2. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    I, along with alot of other fans, are ticked off about this. I feel betrayed by Singer for signing this. It's forced X3 to be put into development hell (it was going to start filming in March) and also pushed back Logan's Run remake.

WHY BRIAN? WHY?!?! WHY GO TO THAT DEAD, CURSED PILE OF POODO OF A PROJECT THAT IS NAMED "Superman"?!?!!?!

3. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Jack Black is going to be the Green Lantern?! While I love him and think he is one of cinema's best comedians, he does NOT look the part at all.

And I agree about X3, Jon. WHY PUSH BACK A FRANCHISE YOU ARE RAKING IN TONS WITH? Finish the trilogy. It's only one movie away.

What's next? Sam Raimi doing Green Arrow before working on Spidey 3?

4. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    The Logan's Run remake was never definate. The rumor is that, since both Superman Returns and Logan's Run are Warner Bros. movies, WB greenlit Logan's Run as part of the Superman deal.

5. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    At least we know Singer can make a movie that fans can identify with the characters. Some of those ideas I'd heard they wanted to do to Superman would have made Christopher Reeve stand up and raise some serious hell.

Jack Black is going to be the Green Lantern?! While I love him and think he is one of cinema's best comedians, he does NOT look the part at all.
    I agree, Jack Black is funny in small amounts and I would NEVER rank him among the greatest of all time...Williams, Crystal, maybe George Carlin (for our lifetime) but that's about it. Oh, and NO on the Green Lantern thing either!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this new Catwoman movie belongs at the bottom of Bandit/Leia's litter box!

EDIT: BTW, Don...Marvel rules! :D

6. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    EDIT: BTW, Don...Marvel rules! :D

My reply to this is not postable.

7. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    Oh, and NO on the Green Lantern thing either!

Ya, it's supposed to be a comedy superhero flick (like the mask)...

EDIT: BTW, Don...Marvel rules!

Yes it does, but it makes extremely stupid decissions sometimes.

My reply to this is not postable.

HA!

8. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    And Christopher Reeve might be producing in some way. I'm one happy fanboy :D

9. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    If they get the blessing of THE "Superman" of all time...then they must be doing something right!

10. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    and Christopher Reeve might be producing in some way.

I'm not too keen on his "producing" abilities. But this should be interesting...IF THE PROJECT EVER GET'S OFF THE GROUND!!!

11. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    that was a little mean....
    Ya think? Might want to edit that one (if you take my meaning, sir)

I haven't kept up with the show "Smallville", but how much were they pushing the limits of what fans consider to be true to the comic/movie? When Reeve got involved with that cameo role, it was like he gave his seal of approval in pasing the Superman tradition to a new cast/crew. He never did anything like that on Lois and Clark (ah...Terri Hatcher [face_love] ) What was i saying?

12. REBO1971

REBO1971 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    Marvel rules!

Sorry, but DC RULES! I used to be a big Marvel fan, but apart from Amazing Spider Man and Mark Waid's Fantastic Four all I read is DC.

As for X3 being delayed because of Bryan Singer directing Superman, I wouldnt mind a new director for X-men. I was a huge fan of the first X-Men movie (at the time I thought it was the best comic bok movie ever made. Of course, Spider-man eclipsed that!) but was very disapointed in X-men 2.

13. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I haven't read the comics (aside from SW comics) for a long time. I was just saying the with the success of Spiderman, Spiderman2, and Daredevil movies...MARVEL RULES!

"Superman: the Movie" is a classic...and I can almost forgive Superman IV, but that and the undecided issue over which of the "Batman" movies are better...Stan da man owns the box office!

14. REBO1971

Jan 13, 2004
    with the success of Spiderman, Spiderman2, and Daredevil movies...MARVEL RULES!

Can't argue with that!!!

"Superman: the Movie" is a classic

Unfortunately, the whole flying around the world to turn back time ruins the movie for me.

15. GrnJalera

Feb 3, 2001
    Wow. Pretty much everything REBO1971 says I disagree with besides the DC Rules bit.

X2 was as good as X-men 1. Accept it and move on.

And the whole turning back time in Superman was a pivital moment. It showed how far he was willing to go for Lois. Pure Superman at it's finest. Disobey his father? Disobey the laws of physics? He's Superman. He can do it. And it's still the best comic book movie ever. It was the closest adaptation for it's time. And the cast, the acting, the story, and taking the material seriously are what make it great. Superman 2-4 are total crap to me. I don't own them on DVD and don't plan on it.

16. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Superman-v.com is reporting that director Bryan Singer has offered the role of Superman to Smallville star Tom Welling. According to the site, Welling has 2 weeks to think about accepting the role, but has, in the past, been uninterested in playing Superman.

17. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    Click here

CLICK IT DARN IT!! CLICK IT!!!!!! CLICK IIIITTTTTTTT!!!!

18. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Superman 2-4 are total crap to me
    Aw, come one...I wouldn't be so harsh on Superman II (the rest, yeah they deserve it)

I can understand Tom Welling not wanting to be thought of as SuperBOY and SuperMAN. You want to get type-cast in a hurry, that's the way to do it. However, it would have been nice for a fan continuity sake to have him play the role.

My generation is going to remember Christopher Reeve as Superman, because he's the only face we've seen (in new material) that played the part...and did it very well. Dean Cain was good, the guy who did the voice for "Superman" and "Justice League" is not bad either...but Reeve is the icon of Superman (IMO) for this generation.

19. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    the guy who did the voice for "Superman" and "Justice League" is not bad either

That's Tim Daly, the guy from WINGS. And yeah, he did a sweet job.

I'd love to see Tom Welling play Superman. I can see why he wouldn't want to accept and be typecast, but IMO he's the best guy to play the part. And who knows, maybe Smallville could start setting up the movie. I really hope he accepts so we don't see Jake Gyllenhal as Soup.

20. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Actually, Superman in Justice League (and now Justice League Unlimited) is voiced by a voice actor named George Newbern.

21. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Really! I didn't know that...could have sworn they were the same guy?

22. REBO1971

Jan 13, 2004
    My generation is going to remember Christopher Reeve as Superman, because he's the only face we've seen (in new material) that played the part...and did it very well.

Not only that, but Christopher Reeve took a horrible tragedy, one that would have destroyed a lot of people, rose above it and became an activist who will help countless numbers of people now and in the future. In a sense he is a real life "Superman.

23. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
  24. REBO1971

Jan 13, 2004
    This is a crazy idea for the new Superman movie (and probably blasphemous as well)! Should they redesign the Superman costume? (Please don't stone me!!!!!) Bryan Singer felt that real people do not look good in brightly colored costumes, so he put the X-men in black uniforms. Does the Superman costume need to be redesigned as well? I thought Christopher Reeve looked OK in the costume, but always felt that Dean Cain looked kind of silly in the tights. Again, I beg for forgiveness for even mentioning this form of blasphemy!!

25. GrnJalera

Feb 3, 2001
    There is a HUGE difference between X-men costumes and Superman's. Supes is iconic. The actor can be different, but the big red S on the chest, the blue costume, the red shorts, and the red flowing cape MUST stay and CANNOT change. If he changed the costume drastically, it would not "fly" with the fans. For X-men - he made them into more of what a "real" person might wear. Wolverine still had the stripes (yellow accents). Storm still had her cape (silver accents). And the X-men are more of a behind-the-scenes type of group and stay out of the spot light. Superman wears that bright costume for a reason. He WANTS to be seen and recognized. He also wants the innocents to know when they see those colors, they can relax cause they know they're safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.