main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Survey of fun stores in Moncton

Discussion in 'Archive: Moncton, NB' started by Gesh_Bomil, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gesh_Bomil

Gesh_Bomil Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Hello all. I was a resident of Moncton some 15 years ago and am out of date with the fun stores in town. I will be swinging (flying, digging, hovering) into town within the next two months. Was wondering what sort of RPG, Board and model (in particular 1:72 scale anchient armies like greeks and romans and stuff) stores there were in town? Which of them are good? What sort of Flea markets there are in town (best place for figs at good deals)? Just curious so PM me or a discussion could be started on it. Thanks for your help in advance.

Gesh

2. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Well, RPG's and games, I'm not really into. But I pretty sure Gamezilla(on Mountain Rd.) would be a good store for that. And there's this other place I've heard of called Ground Zero, I've never been in there, but there's gaming there. And that place is on Main St.

3. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Gamezilla is absolutely amazing for all your anime/gaming needs.

4. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    I wouldn't shop at Gamezilla if they didn't have a monopoly on the anime/gaming market in Moncton.

Chances are, about half of everything you've ever bought from Gamezilla was used, and you didn't know. They mix second-hand products in with the new, and charge full retail prices. And there's no way to tell them apart, unless you work there, or specifically ask.
    Of course, most of the action figures are new, since it's hard to repair an opened package, but even then, I've bought figures that almost look as if they've been taped back together.

Also, they can charge whatever they want, because again, they have almost no competition.
    Their USED GameBoy Advance games are the same price as NEW retail at any other store, and their NEW games are at least 15% more expensive than anywhere else.

One way to tell if something is used is if the price is marked down - Gamezilla never has sales, so there's no other reason they wouln't charge full price.

In addition to that, they have an incredibly rude staff who barely notice you exist unless you're one of their select "buddies", no matter how long you're there or how much you spend.

5. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    OK, so i take it from the opinions that Gamezilla has great selection but poor prices on new. Sounds like the time is ripe for a vibrant new store to open up and clean up.

I also take it that Ground Zero is small because it's only been mentioed once.

Mainly i'm looking for old D&D Mystara world stuff, the re-release of the micronaughts "raptor" in green, Deadlands doomtown ccg cards (cheap), and Star Wars figs (12 inch dudes in particular).

I've very suprised that in a city the size of Moncton, there have never been more than 3 game/hobby stores in existance and when there are 3 one of them closes. Halifax has 5 going and Victoria has 3 comic stores in a row.

How about European board games (carcassonne, settlers of Cattan...etc)? Plastic models? Flea Markets?

Gesh

6. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Ground Zero link

I don't know much about this place, I've never been in there. I used to know a guy who partially ran it.

As for flea markets, I have no idea. I know there's this giant travelling flea market that's here in the summer. I'll have to ask around.

7. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Settlers of Cattan is availible at Gamezilla.

Actually, Hatter, Gamezilla had a sale on when we were there. :p

8. ReverendH

ReverendH Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2004
    Ground Zero is a place where Digital Gamers, and PnP (pen and paper) gamers come to meet and play games. We don't sell game books here, but we do provide a free space for people to come and play. As for Darth Babe, who was it that you knew? Just Curious,

Reverend

9. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Well, it would obviously be you, Tom. :p

10. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    You know what would be nice? If Gamezilla would GET BACK TO US.

11. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
  12. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    Thank you for all your help. I popped into Gamezilla as it was all i had time for (as it appears Ground Zero seems to be a "meeting place" for RPGing and not a selling establishment from the website and comments here) and did find an old D&D module for cheap. Seems to be CCG orientated for the most part now. Very good price on basic Stikfas though. It seems ripe for a small RPG store to open up though as i detested the shrinkwrapped RPG's that they had. Made me feel like they were "adult" literature and that's just wrong. Tiny comic section too.

Gesh

13. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Oh yeah and just so you know there's a flea market at Riverview Mall. I think it's only open on Sundays.

14. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    The nearest good comic shops are in Charlottetown and Halifax.

Strange Adventures is the most wonderful, marvelous, fabulous, beautiful company in the world!

15. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Oh Strange Adventures, is a store. I had to read that sentence a couple of times to get it. :p

16. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    SUffice to say they rock. :p

17. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    I'll take your word for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.