main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Susan Pevensie Night Raid costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Rebecca_Daniels, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    My project for the next year is going to be the costume that Susan Pevensie wore during the Night Raid in the movie "Prince Caspian". I know it's not Star Wars, but I'm in need of help. I wasn't entirely sure whether this needs a new thread or not, but it's a bit of a different topic than everything else I saw...

Firstly, I've only recently started sewing, as I took my first sewing course in school last year and plan on taking another next year. So I'm rather inexperienced, but this is a costume I really want to make, even though it's a lot more ambitious than anything I've tried to do before.

Now for the costume...

The Night Raid costume looks like this:

http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/sunightraid.JPG (lower quality photo)

http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/sunightraid5.jpg (high quality photo - really big!)

http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/sunightraid3.JPG (very low quality photo)

I've got all the patterns I'll need, but what I've got a few things I've been wondering about, specifically about the bodice/cuirass.

1. What sort of fabric should I use? I'm probably going to have to go with a vinyl, but there's not many options in colour (at least in local fabric stores). I don't want to spend too much money, so the many straps will probably just have to be dyed or something, but the same fabric as the cuirass.

2. The pattern I picked up, McCall's M4861, has 8 pieces to it, and laces up the back, while this bodice laces up only the sides and should just be two pieces (front and back). I'm not entirely sure what I should do to either cover the bodice or to modify it so that it looks like two pieces. I think it shouldn't be too hard to get rid of the back laces (I have a different bodice pattern that is a front-close only, so I can probably figure it out).

Any help would be appreciated. :)

2. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    This will be a sweet costume to see once it is done. I am a big fan of the Narnia movies. If vinyl is a concern, as far as getting the right shade, you might want to look into Tandy Leather.... specifically deer hide. Of course it all depends on your budget, but I think deer hide would look really good with the rest of the outfit.

- Bill

3. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Thanks, I'll have to look into that. I think it's a bit out of my budget, but there shouldn't be too much fabric involved, what with how I've planned to make the bodice, so it might be doable.

4. nancyjerry

nancyjerry Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2008
    This costumes look very cool, I like it, maybe I can make two costumes for both me and my husband.

5. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Wow, I'm terrible at updates.

I've gone and bought my fabric. The main overskirt piece is almost done, but pinned to ridiculousness, so it doesn't look like much, so no photos just yet. But I will probably finish it over Easter, so... soonish?

I do have a bit of a problem, and I can't think of any way around this:

You can get replicas of Susan's bow in many places, but I can't use one, as weapons are not allowed at school, and I'm doing this for Hallowe'en. But what I'm really after is her Quiver, as it's just a prop, but I can't find a full size replica sold anywhere. That means I'm down to making it myself. I'm not a particularly crafty person, and I have no idea where I might start on this.

[image=http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pevensiesfiles/sugifts1.jpg]

That's the best picture I can find of it. It's supposed to be a piece of carved ivory. Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.