main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW Timeline Gold & ChronoRadio Announcements

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Nathan PTH, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    : blink :

I'm going to have to look back at that when I'm not fighting feeling ill. (Blasted allergies and such.) I think my brain just broke. ;) Looks good . . . and interesting . . . just need a clearer head to read it. I'll put that whole issue on my list (which actually does exist) of various message board posts that I intend to read and take stock of between now and the 10th Anniversary SWT-G.

Speaking of which . . .

Work continues apace. The working DOC files of the SWT-G's October edition is coming along well. The release timeline is coming together quite nicely, and I am actually looking at bringing in some new assistant credits for a handful of really dedicated SWT-G readers who have stepped up to help proofread some of my recent additions.

I'm all caught up on new material, but have yet to get much more into the Droids/Ewoks re-summarizing, any updating to the primer or old drafts summaries, and such. My main concern since the last edition has been the release timeline and making sure new stories that are released get summarized before they get lost in the shuffle. All-in-all, though, I'd probably expect a good 100 pages or so added to the next edtion. (Heck, the release timeline is already something like 67 pages long in and of itself.) There's also at least one in-depth interview (though I don't know yet if it'll be in print or audio) slated to be released with the anniversary edition, courtesy of Chris Aldridge.

So far, there aren't any plans to do a special episode of The Butlerniverse about the release, but that might be how the interview sees the light of day, if it's audio.

Meanwhile, I'm alternating work on the SWT-G with other projects I'm pursuing, so as not to go crazy.

2. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Well, for those following the work being done on the 10th Anniversary Edition of the SWT-G . . .

The new front cover work is finished. You'll see a new front cover design for both the primary document and appendices file, which will have a slight alteration to them from the onset in October, noting that it's the 10th Anniversary Edition. I have not yet decided whether I want to do anything else from an interior cover or back cover standpoint, but I might. It mostly just depends on how much time I end up with.

I have also, as of today, finished integrating a series of fixes for the release date timeline that was provided by Eddie van der Heijden, along with video game date fixes from Alexandre Santos. Next up should be integrating a summary for the most recent comics (this week and last), plus summaries of the Tokyopop mangas, provided by Luke Van Horn.

No word yet on the interview to be conducted by Chris Aldridge or what format it'll be in, but I've just completed a guest segment for Matt and Ben Loewen's "Star Wars FM" the other night. (The SWFM bit isn't about the SWT-G, though. We're discussing the new Transformers and Harry Potter films. No word on when that episode is due out from the SWFM team.)

So . . . yeah, it's going well. Pretty soon, I'll need to devote some more time to the Second Strike stuff, but hopefully a lot of headway can still be made before work resumes for me on August 6. (Blasted work week before we begin teaching. Argh!)

3. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    For those who have been following the development of the 10th Anniversary Edition of the SWT-G:

A big chunk of the work on this new edition has been completed. After working on it off and on for most of the summer, I have finally gotten the "Star Wars Production Timeline" (based on release date) completed, including doing a lot of double-checking with the help of Eddie and Chris. Their assistance has been invaluable.

The interview that Chris conducted with me has also been edited together, so we're looking at The Butlerniverse #17 (appropriate number, that) coming out alongside the new SWT-G in October, featuring an interview about the project (and such) that runs 1:52:56 (with intro and ending comments).

I am looking for suggestions on some things as I continue my work:

1. I have created a new front cover for the PDF document. Should I create a back cover? An interior cover like some printed books have? (I don't ever print it out anymore, since it's so large, but for those who do, would those type of covers be welcome additions or just excess space taken up?)

2. Aside from the new edition and the interview, are there any other "extras" that might be welcome additions to the anniversary?

3. Of all of the sections of the SWT-G that already exist, which would you rather see beefed up more in the future: the early script draft summaries; the primer; the FAQ; something else? I want to try to take reader feedback into account more as we move past the 10 year mark and into the project's second decade.

4. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Well, this weekend is the big "final work on the timeline for the anniversary release" weekend. Amid grading about 120 essays, working on numerous sections for the school's website, and trying to get some sleep, I'll be wrapping up the last bits to have the new release ready for Wednesday.

So, on the plus side, it's coming in less than a week, as is the interview.

On the downside, work has been kicking my butt with a new curriculum, a lot of micromanagement, quick units (which means more grading), new website responsibilities, etc. That means that I have not had much time to work on the SWT-G since early August, so there are some things I've wanted to do for the anniversary release that I haven't had time to do much with, such as new Droids/Ewoks summaries and such.

Those type of other updates are coming with future releases, but not everything I wanted will be in this one. Also, about a week after the new SWT-G is released, I begin grad school in earnest, while also still teaching all day and doing the school website and such, so . . . progress will likely be slow going.

I expect the next release AFTER the new one on Wednesday to not come until very late December or very early January, during my winter break, followed by the next one not coming until either April (during my Spring Break) or June (immediately before or immediately after ConCarolinas).

5. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    And, finally, The Star Wars Timeline Gold #44 (10th Anniversary Edition) is released!

6. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Alrightly, folks . . .

The interview I did as a guest on the EUCast is now up as their Minicast #1 . . .

and my new interview with Kevin J. Anderson for The Butlerniverse (#18) is now available as well!

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    unlock 'n bump

8. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Thanks. :)

A brand new edition (finally) of the Star Wars Timeline Gold is now out. It's the SWT-G #45 (just one shy of the 75th overall edition). Lots of new summaries, info, fixes, and so forth. The next one will be in October.

I've also started a new 6-part series on The Butlerniverse, my podcast, featuring a look back at the years of the SW film releases in historical/cultural context.

Both can be found at StarWarsFanworks.com.

(I know, it's about time, right? Grad school, teaching, and novel writing has sucked up my time quite a bit lately.)

9. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Nathan: I'm doing the Boba Fett article from Wookieepedia and I've been trying to place the framing story for No Disintegrations, Please. I noticed you put it at 21 ABY, and I wondered where you got that date from, since all I can find in the story itself is a rather vague "many, many years".

10. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Honestly, "No Disintegrations, Please" was published in August 1997 in The Official Star Wars Adventure Journal #14. I finally got around to adding the short stories, including that one, to the timeline for the Star Wars Timeline 3.2 (released September 30, 1998). So, it's been almost a decade.

I *think* the logic was that since it was a long, long time between segments, it was slipped into what was an open time slot at the time, between the Hand of Thrawn Duology and the Junior Jedi Knights books, since he wouldn't reappear again until Young Jedi Knights (which was later retconned to be his daughter, not him, eventually). That listing was under 20 - 22 ASW4. Eventually, as that era became filled with various other stories, I had to pin it down to a year and went with the midpoint, 21 ASW4.

I do not believe there has ever been any confirmation of where it fits into the overall scheme of things, and I doubt it has been given much further thought, as it was just a one-shot tale by Danner for the AJ.

11. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    OK, thanks.

12. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    The new Star Wars Timeline Gold #46 (release #75) is now available at starwarsfanworks.com/timeline. :)

13. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Ladies and gents, ChronoRadio is BACK! The podcast that began in 2002 and acted as a companion to the Star Wars Timeline Gold ended in May 2007, but the concept has been resurrected as ChronoRadio: Series 2, a new subseries in my broader podcast, The Butlerniverse. :)

14. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    No new release of the SWT-G just yet (but plenty of ChronoRadio and Sith Eye via The Butlerniverse recently).

However, I wanted to briefly note . . .

Today is the Star Wars Timeline Project's 11th Anniversary. :)

(I'm old.)

15. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    you are not old, just genius ;) keep it up

ps: how many time do you spend on all this timeline work? looks to me like... 25 hours a day... and a day only got 24

16. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Sometimes, I wish I'd kept track.

Then again, it would probably just depress me. heh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.