main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

swearing in fan films....yah or nah?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by QUI_TIN_TARANTINO, Jul 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO

QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    it's decided then i'll go for bleep/distort.

that way i get to see it how i want it .
    never know might find someone to host original.

2. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    If it's a parody then use swear words if you want to. I'd watch it. :)

3. spence3eb

spence3eb Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    OK, well maybe i'm just speaking as an 18 year old american kid, but i think cussing is hilarious. I never in my wildest dreams thought that the world(at this point meaning everyone stating opinions on this board) was so "anti-cussing". With all the comedies out there, i challenge you to find a movie that doesnt use swear words. That alone made me believe that it must be a common trait, thinking it was funny, and def. not being offended by it.

I consider myself a relatively intelligent person, and am passed the just giggle b/c he said the f word stage, but I mean comeon. Anyone seen office space? The gangsta rap in the background yellin'

"die motha****** die motha****** die"

While they're beatin that fax machine, thats pure hilarity at its greatest. That scene wouldn't be nearly as funny without cussing.

Why do you think most movie to tv conversions suck? They dont have the cussing, they're tamed down. Don't think of me as some savage american idiot, but frankly cussing is ******* funny. ;)

Now i understand TFN not hosting 'em, thats fine, thats a different issue alltogether, but in general, if you think its funnier with it, and u can get it hosted somewhere, do it!

late,
    spence3eb

4. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Well, you can always use EU lingo, ya stang sithspawn nerfherder!

5. WinterRose

WinterRose Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2001
    Cos you know. In an entire galaxy, no one ever curses. Not even once. Realistic? I think not. Boo. To choose not to host films with profanity in them is certainly the decision of TheForce.net's since it's their site and all. But if you're the principal means of exposure for a genre, isn't limiting freedom of expression in that genre a form of repressive censorship?

6. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    With all the comedies out there, i challenge you to find a movie that doesnt use swear words.

Princess Bride. I rest my case.

-Chris

PS - I got moooore.....

7. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    I loved Busta Rhyme's role in Halloween Resurrection. Most of it was because of the comedy he brought to it. He acted those lines REALLY well... he litterally told michael myers to "**** off... come on... get out of here, GET TO THE GARAGE OR SOMETHING D*MN, CAN'T WE GET DECENT HELP IN THIS MOTHA ****IN MUG!"

Now, it wasn't the swearing, because I am not a guy who thinks throwing in swear words makes things funnier, but IN THIS CASE, Busta Rhymes pulled it off... his acting DID NOT make you think "that's alot of swears" it made you think "that's f-ing hillarious".

But I am pretty firm in that english slang for the most part (and for the WHOLE part when it comes to swears) don't belong in star wars. That's what was said above, use EU slang. Not only does it replace you fanfilm of it's swears, but it replaces them with a very decent replacement.

"EMPORERS BLACK BONES!"
    "SITHSPAWN"

Those are the two most commonly used.

If your fanfilm is a parody, I think, if acted correctly, these would have a funnier effect than actual swear words. (I mean, if it is set in modern day, imagine how funny it would be to have some guys walking around in t-shirts going to the local mcdonald's saying:

"I'd like a kiddy vanilla ice cream cone."
    "Ok, that will be 33 cents."
    "EMPORER'S BLACK BONES! WHEN I WAS A KID THEY WERE FREE!"
    "Well, sir, we don't do that anymore."
    "Sithspawn."
    "excuse me?"

See the potential?

Cya
    Mike

8. Thayne_Correlles

Thayne_Correlles Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2000
    He's an Idiot Savant? huh? what planet are you from?? Kevin Smiths a hugely talented writer and film maker. Idiot savant. the repect some people give...

Thayne

9. Darth_Sway

Darth_Sway Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    I meant Idiot Savant in the loosest sense. Kevin Smith is a very talented guy, I think he's hysterical. What I meant was in terms of "directors" in hollywood in general ( most of them ) think they're a genius, when I believe that Kevin being like us having such a great passion for film making, and being a regular guy who just wants to have the fun and experience of making his vision come to life. Not Idoit Savant like rain man. I think that's how "big shot directors" think of geniuses like Kevin. Thats all.

10. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    I ususally don't post on the boards here in the fan films section, but I feel somewhat passionate about this subject, so here goes. As long as it is not excessive and in good taste, I don't see what the problem is. For example:
    -"Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him."
    -"Damn fool. I knew you were going to say that."

also
    -"What the hell are you doing?!"
    -"Somebody has to save our skins. Into the garbage chute, fly boy"

If it's alright to have in an official Star Wars movie, I don't see why it shouldn't be okay in a fan film. As long as you're not just going around saying MF'n this GD that, I really don't see what the big deal is. Every person has cussed at sometime in their life, so to completely get rid of all swearing, you're taking away some of the realism of the film. I think it's easier to relate to and believe the characters if I can see that they're human (in some cases). Anyway, that's about it. Sorry if the quotes aren't exactly word for word.

11. datoolman

datoolman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2001
    If you are making this film in hopes of getting hosted here, then I guess you have no choice in the matter. On the other hand if you have any integrity at all you will make the movie your way regardless of what others may have to say and find other ways to get your movie out. I don't think any writer, director or producer that believes in their work would ever bow to popular demand unless they have some studio breathing down their collective necks. I don't think this applies in your case.

Independent films fair quite well with the critics. Simply because they are not restricted to content nor are they hyped in the media to no end by the studios that backed them.

The answer is simple... make the movie YOU want to make.

D

12. studiocreations

studiocreations Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2000
    I agree with DatToolman , make the movie you want to make.

....but I also agree with one of the boardposters before. If you are going to put in cussing, "Make two versions of the film, one clean and one filthy."

You never know when someone big will like your stuff and want to host it, but then have issues with your cussing and want you to reedit the dialog as to have no cussing in it. IT's happened to me before and I learned my lesson well.

Another good idea is to use Original Music. Gezz, you will not believe the hell Studio Creations has gone through with legal trouble with the Trooper Clerks music or the "Stuck in a Room with Artoo" parody song. GAHHHHH!!!!! We learned our lesson well with that one too. Use original music and get a signed release form the day you acquire the music. You can't air the piece of music on TV if you do not have the rights. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! (grrrrrrrrrrr... darn lousy scifi tv/cable show....grrrrrrrrrr)

-Jeff Allen
    www.studiocreations.com

p.s. I hit this forum like once a month so I cannot guarantee any feedback on any more questions

13. Chad_Peter

Chad_Peter Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 9, 2000
    The trailer has swearing? (Not that I recall, but it's been a while).

I think that your film's language will not deter the audiences, however it will deter the people *hosting* your film. If you are the one hosting the film, I'd say do not censor your film -- very few people will be swayed away from watching it.

--Chad

14. KillerBobBarker

KillerBobBarker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Seeds of Darkness (hosted by tfn) has the H-E-L-L word in it.

15. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    if it's going to be a parody, film it with the swearing, and if you decide to take it out, just dub something less swearword like over it, like Monkey Magic, (dubbed badly, but it makes it funny)

16. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    As someone who likes to watch fanfilms with his young children, I would very much like to see profanity NOT used in the Star Wars universe. To me it just takes away from the feeling of becoming absorbed in the story. Kinda like when Christopher Reeve pulled out that coin from his pocket in "Somewhere in Time" and it pulled him out of his 1930's fantasy love adventure back into the present time-(ok, bad example) But seriously, if you do it- put a disclaimer or something at the beginning.

17. Master_Jedi_David

Master_Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    I dont think...d*amn or h*ll would be a big problem...they say b**ch on daytime TV.

Anyway it is part of the Star Wars Galaxy

-Then I'll See you in h*ll (Han Solo ESB)

As long as it isnt being used more than twice, I dont forsee a major problem

18. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    "BLASTER BOLTS!" is one of jacens favorite alternatives...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.