main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW Grade the Episode: S05E01: Revival

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Oct 4, 2012.

?

What rating would you give to last week's episode "Revival"?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2013.
  1. 10/10

27.3%
  2. 9/10

29.9%
  3. 8/10

20.8%
  4. 7/10

10.4%
  5. 6/10

3.9%
  6. 5/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4/10

2.6%
  8. 3/10

2.6%
  9. 2/10

1.3%
  10. 1/10

1.3%
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Those of you who have been around a while know the drill, for those of you new to LACWAC during a regular season run, here's the scoop:

Each Tuesday or Wednesday in the week after a given episode airs, we post a poll thread where you rate the episode from 1/10 to 10/10.

Please include your rating in your post, and feel free to give a BRIEF reason why it earned that rating, but remember, we've already got a thread devoted to full discussion of the episode.

2. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I'm going ahead with an 8/10 for this episode. Can't believe I'm ranking a Darth Jesus Maul episode this high, but I said if they're bringing him, it might as well be exciting.

Major bonuses:
    - Kenobi looking extremely competent
    - Hondo & Monkey Lizard
    - green ectoplasm from chopped limbs
    - decent script

Major minuses:
    - "Brother"
    - using Adi Gallia
    - beginning was a little awkward
    - terrible Palpatine ADR line at the end

If this was the first time they ignored established canon in this show, I would have been furious and probably would have dropped it a couple more points. But given that it's happened in every season, it's only very irritating.

3. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Edit: I forgot on the new board you can click on the number of votes to see who voted for what, but I'd still prefer you to post your rating and give a brief explanation.

So far it's:

10/10 - LordMortis315, CloneWarsRescored, Seerow
    9/10 - KenobiSkywalker
    8/10 - Garth, Togruta
    7/10 - LONEWOLF09

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Hmmm... I'll vote 10. I can't hold the added line for Palpatine against the show even though its jarring. I think any VA they get as a replacement is going to sound jarring. I liked everything else about the episode. This had great pacing, great voice acting, was very engaging, lots of good action rather than just mindless violence, it had plot, I thought the death was handled well (I think I understand why), and Obi-wan certainly kicked some ass. There was some good character interactions and development here. They did a great job advancing the personal struggle between Obi-wan and Maul.

5. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    9/10

Pros:

Good story
    Hondo was funny
    Obi wan didn't get the crap beaten out of him
    Effects were good

Cons:

Adi's death felt rushed?
    In the beginning, Savage knocked over chairs like an idiot for no reason
    Darth Maul force choked a droid (lame)
    Palpatines horrid new line
    No aftermath for Adi's death

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    10/10

Every part was good, no negative for me

7. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    7/10

Decently good, but not great.

9. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    9/10

Better than most, the "petty crooks" Palpatine line stands out a bit too much though.

10. Seanthings

Seanthings Jedi Padawan

Feb 8, 2012
    I'm going 9/10

Pros:
    Lightsaber action
    Hondo
    Kenobi being awesome (Power slide?? What a rockstar!)
    Great writing
    Attention to detail (Savage's knee, green mist from limbs, Maul's feet produce sparks when skidding on metal, etc...)
    (Blue) Snaggletooth!

Cons:
    Adi's death
    Palpatine dub
    Savage's "hissy fit" knocking random items off counter at the start

http://www.fanboycomics.net/blogs/sean-foster/1461-the-clone-wars-revival-review

11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    9/10 but almost 10/10.

I probably shouldn't have knocked off anything for Adi's death, because the problem with it wasn't in the episode itself - it was the lack of build-up in prior episodes to make us really care about it.

The extremely positive factors: Hondo, a competent Obi-Wan, the sorrow Obi-Wan was allowed to show for Adi, better use of the brothers.

12. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    10 for Hondo and on screen violent dismemberment.
    1 for that 'petty crooks' line that seriously grates on my nerves.

Not enough to do much damage though, so 7 overall.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I also gave it an 8, and this very closely matches my assessment of the episode too.

But it's very jarring, and for no good reason; the "petty crooks" line was silly and unnecessary, and they weren't even showing his face when he said it... so they could have just left it out.

14. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    9/10. It's one of my favorite TCW episodes but I had to take off a point for Adi's death. That was uncalled for IMO.

15. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Voting 9.

My only con was the Palpatine added line. Didn't notice it the first time but its been noticeable since.

Pros - everything else. Hondo was hilarious. Obi-Wan kicked some ass instead of having his kicked. Detail in the episode in building up to specific plot points, i.e Savage's knee. The lightsaber fights were done very well. The sorrow that Obi-Wan was allowed to show is another bonus. The plot was quite good, and they made good use of the brothers. So a 9 from me.

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    While I liked that Adi died at the hands of a force-user, I still don't understand why it had to be her.
    Other than that, the episode was a ton of fun to watch.

9/10

17. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    9/10

I really liked this episode because it felt so different that other previous TCW episodes and having Chris Collins from The Wire write paid off - the better writing showed. The music was well done as well. The fight scenes were brilliant, as was Savage getting dismembered on screen with the bones and the mist showing. Obi-Wan was SERIOUSLY BADASS but unfortunately Adi here was pointless - hopefully there is a Director's Cut for this episode in which she does a LOT MORE. Obi-Wan's reaction here was good, but it just makes me wish even more that him and Adi Gallia had more episodes together previously. Palpatine as usual was brilliant but the "petty crooks" line was ridiculous. The action was good, the writing was an incredible improvement over the previous Maul episodes and yes, Hondo Ohnaka is now officially one of my favorite characters. "We don't even know what that means!"

KED12345 likes this.
  18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Even slowing down the scene, I wasn't able to see the bone showing. No big loss, though.

Seriously, it would have added much more depth had Adi and Obi-Wan shared some moments prior to this, or even just had a "reminiscing type" of conversation to show they had a long history together.

19. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    9/10

Pros:

Hondo and his pirates-
    Good lightsaber duels and large scale battle
    Savage, Maul v.s Obiwan was amazing
    Savage's death blow to Adi, was fantastic
    Maul and Savage looked human and could I say they cared about eachother

Cons:
    Yodas hair style and Sidious's different voice at the end.
    took another kill from the good general

20. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    There are always complaints like that when a new voice has to dub in lines whether nessicary or not. VA changes are always tough.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But it's not even close. It's not just that the voice is different, but the recorded volume and sound quality is different too. I would hope most voiceover dub-ins are done better than this one was. And my point about it being unneccessary means both from a script point of view and also from a visual point of view, since his face is not shown mouthing those words anyway.

22. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    8/10
    Awesome episode and a great way to start the season. Loved the action, Maul's scheming (stinks hes back but too late now I guess), and Hondo stole the show.

Only negative was Adi's death for which I deducted the two points.

23. KeltheDor

KeltheDor Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 21, 2011
    7/10

Pros:
    +Hondo is entertaining as ever
    +Nice advancement of previous plotline
    +Good Use of Maul
    +Obi-Wan holds his own
    +Animation
    +Fight Scenes

Cons:
    -Adi Gallia's death lacked purpose or emotional weight
    -The pacing was dreadful throughout. Rushed to the point of confusion at times.

24. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    10/10

Really, I have very little to complain here. Highlights include the brothers having a little falling out (I wonder if Savage will turn against Maul like he did with Dooku and Asajj?), Savage showing his power by killing Adi Gallia, Obi-Wan's heroic second wind and, of course, Hondo Ohnaka. [face_rofl]

25. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    10/10, great episode. I knew Gallia was going to die, so that didn't shock me. The pacing is to be expected, it wasn't as rushed as Revenge though. You really can only do so much in 30 minutes. Might have been smarter to make this into a two part arc season premiere.

Hondo of course stole the show. Obi-Wan was amazingly competent compared to Zygerria and Revenge, really smacked down Savage and Maul by himself, with two lightsabers.

Best episode of TCW since Carnage of Krell, for sure.