main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW The Complete Season Four DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Orrelios, Oct 16, 2012.

1. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    DVD, what's this you speak of ?o_O

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I notice a difference, but it isn't that much. And yeah, I use an HDMI cable, but the TV is a 50" HD Widescreen Sony. Resolution peaks at 1080i, though. That could be the reason, right?

3. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    well, unless you wanna go shopping for new stuff I wouldn't worry about it too much. i'm sure my equipment is trash compared to the better brand names, but it still looks beautiful because the movies are beautiful.

4. DarthMarino

DarthMarino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    No, the progressive scanning of 1080p will make it look a little better in motion but the resolution is the same. You should definitely see more details on a 50" HDTV (assuming you aren't too far away). As I said, the Star Wars Blu-Rays aren't the greatest looking Blu-Rays but they easily put the DVD's to shame.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hah. I'm on a 27" TV thru HDMI.

6. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Try 720p just to see if anything improves. There is a notable improvement on my 50" with the blu ray, especially the color. On the projector, there is a night and day difference between DVD and BR. I also watch off a PS3.

7. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    May anyone tell me how to watch the extended episodes.

8. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002
    Pop in the DVD or Blu-Ray. Hit "play".

9. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    The DVD set went down my mail box on Thursday and have started to gradually watch it (is currently five episodes in so I haven't gotten to the director's cuts yet); I also think I'm the only one here who doesn't own a Blu-ray player or a HDTV (uses a widescreen tube TV and a DVD player).

10. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    When do I not hear the word extended.

11. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    I use a cheap £20 DVD player and a generic flatscreen TV. :(

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I only went HD a little more than a year ago despite being a techy . I thought I was a late adopter. =b

13. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002
    The episodes that are the Directors Cuts have a little movie clapper board next to them. They only include these versions so they will play automatically.

14. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So how are the featurettes?! Any awesome things told in the Mon Calamari one or the Umbara one?!

15. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I am having a problem with a certain scene in Water War skipping. Anyone else have this problem or did I get a bad transfer?

EDIT: For me it was between 8:00 and 8:10.

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Blu-ray players, particularly the PS3 are insanely sensitive to even the smallest smudge. I had an issue with Hardcase's sacrifice skipping in "Plan of Dissent". I cleaned the disc off and it played find.

17. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I've tried mine on a Pioneer Blu Ray player, PS3 and 2 HTPCs with the same results. The underside of the disk looks flawless. Amazon is exchanging mine, I wasn't sure if anyone else had that happen though.

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Honestly mine did arrive with the thing in the middle that holds the discs detached but it wasn't broken and I popped it back in.

19. Sabertrader

Sabertrader Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    I watched my season 4 BluRays over this past week and absolutely LOVED this season. It also kind of reinforced to me how weak/inconsistent season 3 was.

At any rate, season 4! :)

--LOVE the increase in visual quality each season brings, but WOW. Season 4 just looks incredible. The animation quality in particular is much better, and I notice this especially when Jedi are swinging their sabers about. Not so stilted/jerky anymore, much smoother and more organic. The overall graphics with the lighting, f/x, character models, textures, etc is amazing. George must be spending a dime on each episode!

--Storywise, I thought the first disc's stories were fairly pedestrian, given the gravitas the series CAN deliver. But I was rewarded by the excellence of discs two and three :) I loved these arcs/stories!!! Good grief, I was nearly moved to tears during the Krell story (you know the scene).

My hope for season 5 (which I won't see until this time next year on BR) is for some more Ahsoka. She has emerged as my favorite character over the course of the series. I love her toughness and bad-assery matched with her humor, sarcasm, and her loyalty. My favorite single scene of season 4 was the shot of her crouched protectively over her Master, sabers at the ready and SNARLING at the bounty hunters. She really does love Anakin, and I loved that fierceness of love in her to protect him like that. Great character moment.

To conclude, I'd like to thank the creators of this show for such a great series, and for a nice 'rebound' from season 3. Season 4 may be my fave so far, pound for pound...though season 2 was brilliant.

20. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    Sabertrader, how is the deleted scene from Brothers?

21. Sabertrader

Jul 28, 2002
    Honestly, I didn't view any deleted scenes in the extras....I just watched the episodes as presented on the discs, and two featurettes that auto-played at the end of disc 3.

If you're referring to scenes that were restored, I'm no help because I don't watch CW on tv....I just wait for the seasons on disc. Sorry about that, Cary!

Cary_the_Brave likes this.
  22. Sabertrader

Jul 28, 2002
    By the way, found a great still of my favorite scene.

[​IMG]

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That is pretty cool. You should repost that in the caption thread.

Sabertrader likes this.
  24. Sabertrader

Jul 28, 2002
    Thanks, I'll do that!

Seerow likes this.
  25. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in.

When I went to pick up Season 4, it was a toss up between DVD or Blu-ray. Season 3 and 4's Blu-ray have lossless DTS-HD but the first two only have lossy Dolby 5.1. I would very much like to have Ahsoka in Full HD but I'm wondering if seasons 1 and 2 will be re-released at some point with a lossless soundtrack? Besides, it's not unheard of for a studio to release a title a second time with a better soundtrack.