main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "That's what your uncle told you..Thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved."????

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Blur, Nov 5, 2012.

1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    seems to me Obi Wan delivered Luke as a package. What he said to Beru was breif & Beru gladly accepted whatever Oiwan told her about the child. Its a good conversation.

2. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    You do realise that Obi-Wan probably contacted them before he travelled to Tatooine with Luke? Their expressions and reactions do not look like they were surprised, it's like they were expecting hm.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, if they were out I doubt he would have just left Luke in the mailbox.

BarkingFrog likes this.
  4. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Seen AOTC & ANH many many never noticed a phone, a pager, a walkie talkie, a CB radio, a desktop, a laptop, an ipad, a can with a string on it...Maybe I missed that detail. Wonder why Watta didn't have the Lars phone number to give to Anakin....hmm all that dreaming Anakin was doing why didn't he just CONTACT her?

5. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    I like to think that Owen knew that Anakin became Darth Vader. The way he says,"that's what I'm afraid of" and his protective attitude back this up.

Lobot_the_Jedi and BarkingFrog like this.
  6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It seems to me like Obi-Wan's had his share of arguments with Owen over the years. He's basically just filling us in on what's been going on since ROTS - which is that Owen's been giving him flak for what he and the Jedi did to Anakin: They pulled him out of his home, encouraging him to leave friends and family behind to take part in their crusades against evil. He distanced himself from his roots (as evidenced by his behavior in AOTC) and ultimately got himself killed in a war that he should never had fought in the first place.
    Then Obi-Wan shows up with Anakin's kid, asking them to take care of him, which is fine. They're happy to do it - after all, this is Shmi's grandson and even if they never truly got to know his father, he is family. It ticks Owen off, though, when that crazy old hermit has the nerve to approach him about giving Luke his father's Jedi weapon. So he wants to send the kid to his death, too? Not on Owen's watch!

It all fits to me.

"I guess I'm your step father"
    /LM

7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I've developed a more charitable attitude towards Owen, so I'll go along with this one. He strikes me as someone who feels your family comes first, then your neighbors. And the galaxy at large can take care of itself.

And I doubt Ben told them about Vader. He probably just said, "Anakin and Padme are dead." (Which was true, from a certain point of view...) So, Owen just wanted Luke to have a normal, safe life away from all the stuff that destroyed Ani, which meant telling crazy old Ben to stay the heck away.

Lady_Misty and BarkingFrog like this.
  8. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    mee sa lika dis

9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    That wizard is just a crazy old man!

I'm sure in those 19 years somethings happened between Obiwan & Owen.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    When I watched AOTC the other day, I noticed that Owen didn't exactly seem overjoyed to meet Anakin. When they introduced themselves to eachother, I got the distinct feeling that he was thinking along the lines of "So, he's deigned to visit us at last".
    It was like he didn't quite know what to say to him. No doubt, Shmi had been saying wonderful things about her boy, but knowing Owen as I do, I suspect that he developed a certain degree of contempt for Anakin before they even met, because of how he left his mother behind to live alone with Watto.

Of course, Owen's hesitant behavior could also have to do with the fact that Anakin's mother had been abducted by tusken raiders and was likely dead. I still like to think that there were already negative feelings towards Anakin there, though.

- They're sandpeople all right. I can see one of them now.
    - Those tuskens walk like men, but they're vicious, mindless monsters.

/LM

11. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    "Beru? BERU? There's a child in the mailbox."
    "Some Jedi left a message earlier today, said he was gonna drop something off here."
    "Did he say what it was?"
    "I think so."

Lady_Misty likes this.
  12. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I see that Owen felt resentful. I loved his step-mother and heard about his step-brother for a number of years. Part of him could have wished to be out roaming the stars with Anakin or feel like he was a poor replacement. Then Anakin shows up as a young adult looking for his mother after ten years of being away. He goes to rescue and returns with a her lifeless body; something that a large number of men failed to do. Then Anakin goes off to help a fellow Jedi named Obi-Wan. The Clone Wars start and if Owen and Beru followed it they would know lhat Anakin lost his right arm during the first battle of the Clone Wars. Anakin fights for the Republic for over three years and how was he repaid? His own men kill him as if all those years they fought togehter never happened. Then Anakin's body is either left to rot where he died or thrown into a mass funeral pyre.

He and Beru seem to be more than happy to take Luke in.

I am sure that Owen didn't want the same thing to befall Luke that happened to Anakin. He blamed the Jedi so he didn't want Luke to become one.

As for the line concerning the lightsaber I agree that Anakin would have wanted Luke to have it until Luke could construct his own.

13. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Also at the time of ROTJ Owen may not have been Luke step uncle at all. It was at one point a complete lie that Obi-wan told luke beacuse in the novelization of Return of the Jedi Owen is mentioned as Obi-wan's brother not Anakins.

14. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    Perhaps Owen also knew about what happened to Anakin(Obi Wan might have told him) and did not want it to happen to Luke.

15. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    The debate is over. We need that Obi-Wan solo movie!

DARTH_BELO and Gobi-1 like this.
  16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    "Unfourtunately the debate is NOT over. The production company will never approve the use of funds before the fans attack!" :p

I never understood why some think that the changes in the story from what Obi-Wan originally told Luke about Anakin in ANH is a PT vs OT thing. I know many are bent on bashing the PT, but geez. PT has nothing to do with that backstory change. The continuity differences in the history of Anakin were first brought about in ROTJ-not the prequels. The prequels were just following in line with when Obi-Wan told Luke the truth in ROTJ.

Personally I see nothing wrong with the way that part of the story was handled. It is a normal thing to withhold details or tell half-truths/lies to someone in order to protect them. For example, anyone who has kids I know for sure can relate to that...Can you imagine if Obi-Wan were to spill everything out, in detail right there to Luke in ANH? I mean Luke didn't even know what the Force was! How would he have been able to accept (or even fully understand) it all!?