main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC The ABYverse Resource Thread - Now discussing the aftermath of Legacy: War!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sinrebirth , Jul 15, 2009.

1. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I wonder if we will have issues with continuity. I think a lot canon is by now pretty extensive and if someone was to post something using preexisting characters it might easily be "AU" so to say . . . which kinda defeats the point . . . also I wonder how we will deal with the use of characters of other players. Especially original ones. Can people just fetch them? I think it is a pretty good idea, but might "fire back" if we don´t set clear rules for that.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Exactly my thoughts, Kahn. ;)

Fin; in theory the Executive GM would keep an eye on such Continuity Concerns, as steward of the ABYverse in said thread. Mayhaps a final clause stating that the Executive GM is the final word on ABYverse continuity, and referring continuity concerns to the ABYverse Resource Thread?

3. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    So, you mean the Administrator, right? Yes, I can live with that. Just someone should keep an eye on it, as these things are usually a bit nasty, because people have their own ideas. And there is a project coming up, that might get harassed by it.

Anyway, I still think the use of personal characters should be "permitted" or we will soon have angry users who see their characters butchered for the purose of others. I remind of the Yu´Dor affair. And I am concerned to see Kira Romar´s in love with a Sith, Tenk Qatar´s who commits genocide, Kiar who is a traditionalist, Ratep Sentarin who gets beaten up, Hespar Kessler who is hating Jedi, Hoole who turns into a standard villain and Insipid who bows loyally to any master, Darth Alastor defeated by a Padawan, etc. . . . let alone concepts like Xenly, The New Vong or Umbrus who are not so easy to get into . . . so I thought we should really allow people to at least WITHDRAW their characters from other people´s fiction. The galaxy is large enough without having to use other characters. And if people like it, they can always permit it.

4. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    I agree with Fin. That idea has a lot potential. And I can imagine a bunch of awesome ideas that could be done there. But if we allow people to take possession of others characters we might soon be in trouble here. It becomes a wish fulfillment thing.

What I always wanted to do with XYZs character and he never allowed me to!

I must say I am totally opposed to the idea of anybody writing Darth Atavus/Hoole, Darth Imperi or any other of my creations without me having a say in it. Extremely opposed!

5. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    I really think that won´t be too much of a problem. There is a whole galaxy in which you could do ANYTHING you want to. Thousands of characters. Why use the one of another player? Really? Why take possession of one of our characters? The idea you do that alone indicates that it´s for a purpose we would not approve. Everybody who wants to have a story with someone´s character can send a PM. Ask if he would like to . . . do whatever.

If he got a NO that´s fine. If he got a yes, the player gets the real thing. Instead of a half-baked version.

So, totally for Tales of ABYverse and totally AGAINST others playing my chars :D Yu´Dor (the Original) and Kira Romar are not free for public use ;) You can have Cara Ta´Manis, if anybody wants to.

Having said that, I always wanted to explore Yu´Dor a little more . . .

6. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    I think the use of other peoples characters and intellectual properties so to speak should at the very least involve that persons permission and input, that way people get the freedom of approaching others for the use of characters as cameo's or plot points but we don't get people stepping on other's toes.

I lol'd. Survive being blown up and going through all the stuff to get a new body just to die like that. That would be some painful irony XD

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    You know, I'm actually green due to offline stuff, but I want to post this anyway; this is a really interesting point - but I can also include a simple term about how personal characters that belong to another cannot be used by another player without the permission of the creator. That keeps us from the legal intellectual property aspects, there.

8. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    It would also be a polite thing to do, as people obviously feel there is a danger of that. I actually had an idea. About a small thing for the Summer, maybe. LordT? Sounds like a good place to expand on "The Sphere", right?

Anyway, I´d say include it in the OP and it´s good to go. Everybody who got a spin-account may join us in the discussion of another ABYverse game, I´d say. Sinre. Expect a PM, soon. :D

9. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    So, when does it comes up? And anybody having any idea about potential storylines? I think we have plenty.

Hespar Kessler´s final walk? Kira Romar´s early years as a Jedi before the war are totally in the dark, I think. The same goes for Tenk Qatar. So is anything about Darth Imperi and her early missions. Ratep Sentarin and Hespar Kessler´s break with each other? ANYTHING about Darth Null? Or the great under-used characters like Darth Chalon or Si Kya, maybe? Maybe more about the Sphere? Malignady? The Tribe? Kiar? The Yu´Dor and Eloa Lan connection? Xenly, maybe? I would also love to see the old Honor-bunch reunited. Things like that.

So, any others having something to add to my wish-list :p

10. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, not sure if I have to have anymore Kira Romar, actually. I never felt to be so done (in a positive sense, very positive sense) with a character than I am with her. although now knowing Xenly is behind her power it might be intruiging to revisit her, probably. I have nothing to add to her character development. She is complete.

Siri Romar might be fun to reprise, though. Or Yu´Dor. Still want to play out my finale with Krayt. Well, I actually could think of some smaller stories with orginal characters who could be fun.

What is Sir_Draco´s 138 ABY? Saw it in the GDG. My borther is doing an ABYverse game? Really? Somebody give me spoilers, please. Now!

11. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    I don't know if I could take my characters back after all the time I've spent away from them. I mean, one of them is dead (Terentatek), one already got a conclusion so to speak (Schleier) and the other just doesn't really speak to me anymore (Brightstar).

I really want to take Isis and expand on her clan's history, so Sinre, if you are interested in that, we can talk about it for Tales or any future games.

12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    A Yu'Dor-Krayt moment can be covered in 128 ABY, mind you.

There are Si Kya moments I'd love to have, ditto more Sae Kya. Bit sick of Insipid at the moment. :p But I am looking forward to some more of this.

I'd love to see more Isis, Nick, that'd be good. Cara pre-mad as well, bless her. [face_laugh]

13. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, Yu´Dor and Darth Krayt could meet in 129 ABY (although I think your Yu´Dor may rule it, and mine might appear in other parts of the franchise so the confusion is not totally devastating to the audience. Two Yu´Dor existing is bad enough) but we know she is alive by 133 ABY, so their FINAL meeting must happen between 133 ABY and 137 ABY (as after that Krayt is no longer available :p).

Concerning Cara. Her story is: She suffers for her sins in her own purgatory. I am not sure there is anything to tell before that. I would have loved to see he battle to death with the Chiss, but he´s gone now so . . . I have already given pretty detailed descriptions of her attack on that planet. Guess she was made for 41 ABY and there she should conclude. What else could there be? I actually find it incredibly difficult to write her right now. As she is at a point, where she should soon break to pieces totally . . . having been killed once more won´t help there . . .

Which leaves me with almost no more active ABYverse character I believe. Well, gives me a lot freedom for the future projects I guess. And I might serve in some Tales as support cast :p

14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    We do really need some separate names for the Twins. :p

And agreement between your Yu'Dor meeting with Krayt then... assuming he is unavailable from 137 ABY onwards, that is...

15. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    So 138 ABY. I got asked a bit about it. What is it? What is it about? Is it in development? Yes it is. It´s the idea of a view RPers whose heart was broekn by the announcment that Legacy was cancelled. The idea is simple. When issue 50 is out, we begin preparing Issue 51. As an RP. We will have story-arcs (issues from 6 to oneshots, depending on what the story needs) who will coem and go. And continue the story of Legacy from there on.

Head-GM will most likely be Fin, with maybe Draco as the day-to-day Operator. We will ask ABYverse old blood to do guest-GMings. Myself and TheSithGirly have already agreed to do such stories. Sinre, you were on our list to talk to soon (we jsut could noit decide yet who does the talking :p) . . . so that is it actually. The idea of 138 ABY.

It will be ABYverse, but only to a minor degree. It´s main focus will be the continuing of the story-arcs of the comic with it´s characters and all that . . .

Will it find an audience around here? Hard to say. We will test the ground now and soon decide wether we give it a shot. Otherwise we have Tales of the ABYverse, which I truly look forward to.

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    *smiles lightly*

You know, I was thinking of something similar, to be frank. I have five major concepts floating around in my head currently, some disclosed, some undisclosed, some ABYverse related, some less so, and that was definitely one of them... so I am quite pleasantly surprised, and willing to talk to anyone who wishes to talk to me. ;)

17. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    *blinks as he randomly appears in the thread, looks around, and, upon spotting Sinrebirth, points a finger towards him dramatically*

Haaaaaaalooooooo!

18. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
  19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    O:)

I thought you'd like that. :p

Maybe I went a bit overboard with the references, but they fit, so what the hell. :p But there are no Halo-rings to wipe out the Killiks nor Gorog! ;) I credit Shanshu to Winged, mind you. Which might help some of you, and might not. ;)

20. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Now I need to fire up the Halo 3 campaign again on my 360 <.< Or pull out my old, dusty Halo PC disc and start from the beginning.

Too lazy to dig out and hook up my Xbox and play Halo 2 :p

21. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    But the real question is will there be a species of technologically advanced reptomammals whom are religious zealots bent on eradicating those they see as heretic while being all BAM*'s about it?

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    You mean these guys? No, sorry, these guys? Whoops, wrong again - these guys.

O:)

23. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    I am foreseeing a good fight between Isis and Insipid, Sinre. I'm glad you allowed me to keep that shot to the ear, because I am planning on using whatever weaknesses against him that I can. I'm going to need them, no doubt.

24. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    Greatest.Fight.Ever.

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Insipid is Insipid, after all.

And I pride myself on my ability to allow my characters to take damage. It's much more realistic, and at the end of the day people get hurt. It's how they learn. They never learn from being supermen - and they won't get to be supermen without screwing up anyway. Highly unrealistic. Throws you clean out of the scene, and being in the scene is really necessary to write well.