main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist ~The Art of an Outrider~

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corellian_Outrider, Aug 2, 2009.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Thank you so much for this great gift and happy New Year to you. =D=[face_dancing]

5 hours and 15 minutes to go here and to all of you Happy New Year

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you, Earlybird. :) You are most welcome, it was a pleasure to do and fun to create. :)

Happy New Year!! I hope everyone has had a wonderful evening and brought in the new year without too much of a headache.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Gosh, my first art update for the new year.

Captain Scyther Vectis

[image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/GAW/ScytherVectis.jpg]

The feistiest Star Destroyer in the Imperial Navy, Captain of the Venator Star Destroyer, 'Roadblock, and Commander of the All-Stars. For Jerjerrod-Lennox, whom is the creator and writer of the character from GAW, an RPG. This piece is a revisited/reimagined/special edition of the previous portrait I had done of Captain Vectis.

Because of the url confusing the markup code, I have to post the Higher Resolution separately.

C_O

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And a nice one with the background and all.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    I only have one word for this...

Wow:D

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you Earlybird and J-L, I'm so pleased you love it! :)

Snow "Lioness" Ahsoka - WIP

[image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/WIP/ATSnowWIP.jpg]

Ahsoka Tano in snow weather gear. You may say this piece is inspired by the recent episode of TCW, "A Friend in Need". There is still quite a bit more to do but I wanted to share how the progress is shaping. Like the stars in Captain Vectis' portrait, even the fur is hand drawn too, one strand at at time.

I hope to have more soon.

C_O

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love this Ahsoka and the fur=D==D=

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    This is so perfect. It almost looks like a black and white photo.

=D=

Amazing job with the fur and her face!

9. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you! I cannot wait to show of the final form when it is ready :).

I'm surprised at how quickly it started to form together and to reach this point... well it felt quickly when actually it was a long uninterrupted session (rare for me to get enough free time to do one of these). Each drawing session feels like mediation, a few hours goes by and only feels like one.

I've also updated the post with a link to a preview of the episode.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Absolutely incredible. Do you have any special technique for drawing the fur?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you! I am glad that you are loving how she is shaping up :). At first I wasn't sure how I would do the fur or if I could capture the texture of it and I didn't think further of the matter while I worked on Ahsoka's face and the solution then came naturally.

The technique I did for the fur is similar to how I draw hair: The base outline of the form, the darker and lighter strands following along the form.
    The difference for this is that the strokes/strands are thicker and shorter for fur which means I don't have to worry too much about hairstyles and random locks of hair/strands. Knowing the direction of the lighting/light sources and how the light interacts with the subject is important to keep in mind too.

I'll go a bit more indepth on the layers involved:
    -The first being a faint line form of the basic shape of the hood. whether just quick gesture strokes or a more sculptured form. This acts as a guide for the other elements.

-The next layer above has the darker strokes/strands. Starting from the inside towards the outside and following the curves, using the faint form as a guide

-Over the top of that are the white strokes and lightly applied to make them half opaque, this allows the darker strokes to come through in places and adds extra depth. I did these in three over lapping sections, the inside - middle - outside edge, varying the hardness I pressed when applying the strokes. Pressing harder and the strands more clustered together to achieve the highlights for the sections that are more directly in the light. Pressing faintly and further apart the strands for those that are in the shadows.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow, very cool!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for such a good description of your working process, also about things that were a challenge and/ or difficult.

:)

14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you :) You are welcome. I have been tempted to do a few short drawing tutorials but I haven't had a chance to get around to it.

Yesterday marked my tenth year on the boards and I plan to do a special series of works throughout the rest of the year to celebrate that. I will reveal what that will be when the first pieces are ready but until then, I guess this sketch may... or may not give some indication as to what I am planning. [face_thinking]

Captives

[​IMG]
    "I guess we're both prisoners here, huh?"

Princess Daisy tends to Yoshi while they are held captive by the evil King Koopa. I've used 4B and 2B graphite for this sketch. A small tribute to the Super Mario Bros. film, next year marks it's 20th Anniversary that it shares with Jurassic Park.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    YOSHI! XD

It's good to see someone else who appreciates the cheese of that much-derided movie. I've always enjoyed that movie, I didn't care how corny or unfaithful to the source material it was, it was still an awesome romp of cheesy goodness. And you know what they say about cheese; it gets better with age.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    love your new sketch and the pose of dinosaur and human

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  17. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I agree with you TrakNar! I'm glad to know that there is another that appreciates it too :). Bob Hoskins will always be Mario and also Smee to me and Yoshi is my favourite. I haven't seen the film in ages but that moment between Yoshi and Daisy always stood out to me.

Thank you Earlybird! You've got me wanting to do another or maybe one that is more Dinotopia-esque. :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    Yoshi defiantly doesn't look like a cuddly toy there.;)

Good job.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  19. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Yoshi still looks cuddly to me ;)

Thank you J-L :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Your creatures look like they really move towards one another and comfort each other. Great job!

21. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you Azure :)! I am glad those emotions comes across in them.

When the forums return, I look forward to posting more.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Brand new artwork to show off on the brand new boards!

Something There....
    [​IMG]

"New and a bit alarming... who'd have ever thought that this could be?" - Belle

I used HB, 2B and 3B graphite for this sketch. Based on a moment from Beauty and the Beast, where Belle realises her true feelings, that there's something there that wasn't there before...

There are more artworks to come ;)

C_O

Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  23. Bespin-refugee

Bespin-refugee Jedi Master star 1

Oct 24, 2002
    Nice!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice

And how did you change the thread title?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you, both of you :)

At the moment there is a 30min limit for users to edit, only mods can make edits after that time. The system we had will return back and will be sorted out soon.

AzureAngel2 likes this.