main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Ack! And I had sent an e-mail to them last night with an image! Man, my timing is terrible...

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    lurks admiring all the talented artists from afar...

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  3. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    ...I see you skulking in the corners! :p

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  4. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    To anyone who is interested, I am hosting an art challenge on facebook for 2013. There are 24 different categories that each artist is expected to complete by Jan 1st 2014. They are as follows:

1. Star Wars
    2. Firefly
    3. Doctor Who
    4. Cowboy Bebop
    5. Final Fantasy
    6. Game of Thrones
    7. Prince of Persia
    8. Dragon Age
    9. Disney Princesses
    10. Studio Ghibli
    11. Earthsea
    12. Pirates of the Caribbean
    13. Avengers
    14. Pokemon
    15. Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra
    16. Tabletop RPG (Mistborn, pathfinder, D&D, etc...)
    17. Self Portrait
    18. Dragons
    19. American History
    20. Harry Potter
    21. Bourne Trilogy
    22. Doctor Horrible
    23. Justice League
    24. Rurouni Kenshin
    All mediums and art styles are welcome for participation.
    If you guys would like, we could also make a thread for it here since there will be Star Wars pieces.
    Evil.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Interesting. I love doing things like this, but I hardly ever have time.

If you were to take a stab at this, do you have to draw every single category? There's some on there I never even heard of before.

And I just noticed the date of 2014...that's a lot of time! So, maybe! :p

6. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Yes, you are supposed to do something from every category. If you are unable to complete it, that's fine, but at least you would have given it a shot. ;) Since there is so much time, you should be able to become familiar with some of things you don't recognize. :)

Evil.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to say, I'm very tempted.

Something like this would actually be nice for warm-up exercises.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd be tempted to draw at least from a few categories. I have been shying away from anime for a while, though. I worked hard to break free from the grips of that style and I am none too keen on going back to it.

9. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...I'm assuming the anime belongs to the names I don't recognize! :p

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Just an anime style overall. I really don't want to go back to it. It wrecked my art for years.

11. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I actually don't plan on drawing the anime categories in anime style, I'm going to be approaching them from a realistic perspective. You don't have to stick to the source style for any of the categories. ;)

Evil.

12. JediHall

JediHall Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    This is a very interesting challenge. how ever this will be my final full year in school so I am a little unsure.

13. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    You're still in school? That means you have all of summer break! :p

Evil.

14. JediHall

Oct 16, 2012
    True! but I have my Internship this summer too!

However, I am not saying I won't try!

15. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Would you guys like a link to the facebook page so you can upload your art directly to it?

Evil.

16. JediHall

Oct 16, 2012
  17. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Does....anyone here actually like anime? Even a little bit?

I just finished the linework for an adorable Rebel Hoth scout...but he's in an anime style. Now I'm afraid to post it! LOL. Please tell me there is some anime love around here! :)

teamhansolo likes this.
  18. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I love anime. It's a fun and easy way to tell a story. As an art style, it is extremely streamlined and easy to learn. It's not my favorite art style, but it's still fun to do every now and again.

EDIT: Here's the link for the challenge. I'm going to be going away for awhile starting tuesday, so there most likely won't be any updates for it until after the turn of the year. Feel free to post and upload any piece you may finish in the meantime.

Evil.

19. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I haven't drawn anime and not really much of a fan of it but there have been a few 'gems' that I love which falls under that style. You shouldn't be afraid to display your works because of the style you use, it is how you express yourself.

Evil, that challenge looks great. Several of those options are already on my 'to do' list. I love the Prince of Persia series and I have done several Disney related works (I must post them soon, just been too caught up,) though I can't help but feel the list is lacking a major/classic sci fi series: Stargate SG-1... Jack O'Neill is legendary. Best of luck with your endeavours, hopefully you'll be back before you know it :)

20. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I am more an old fashioned artist with oils, pencils and recently acrylics and have drawn a character for my Nano story

21. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I know many competent anime artists who would engage in a battle to the death over that point! Making good anime can be extremely challenging and it can be a long process. Its simplicity is what makes it so difficult - you only have a few lines to create a personality, to create a memorable look or emotion. It's like minimalist music - would anyone say that what Philip Glass does is easy because he only uses a few notes?

:) - Obligatory smiley face. I'm not trying to start a fight, just throwing this out there.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I like anime. I just don't like what it did to my work. I've worked very hard to lose the anime style I had. I wanted to impress publishers, and anime wasn't cutting it, thus... it had to go. It still influences my style, and even when I was drawing in that style, it wasn't a straight-up anime style. I had elements of Disney and Warner Bros in there, as those were some of my main influences. They still influence my style. I may some day dip back into the anime pool, but I'm still wary. I like to be able to switch back and forth between many different styles, and I will often do so for certain projects. However, with how long it had a stranglehold on my art, I am just not very eager to go switching back to that style. I never said it was bad or that I hated it, I just don't want it in my work. Perhaps some time in the future, but not now.

23. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Yepp, I am a clairvoyant! I have foreseen that fusion!

TrakNar likes this.
  24. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I haven't dabbled in that style before but I've been told by someone that it is best to master other styles before going into Anime so that you are not dependant on that style.

I'm finding it hard to believe how fast the time is flying... November is almost over and 2013 is on our doorsteps. I do have a question that I would like to open up to you all, should we still go ahead with the Xmas gift exchange, focus on the Holiday thread or do something different this year?

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I really don't know, as I need to get off my butt and get some diaries updated... Darth Real Life has been making sure that I can get absolutely nothing done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.