main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    At 46-years old, Bernand Hopkins wins another belt.

The guy is simply amazing. He might not be the best ever pound-for-pound, but year-for-year he's gotta be.

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Inty, just how did I know you'd be in here for this? :p

I was intending on some thread necromancy myself on the subject :p A great win for Hopkins. Pascal is a very strong opponent, I saw his fight with Carl Froch back in 2008 and he knows how to bang.

3. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Predictions on Haye vs. Wlad?

I'm a little torn. I have more respect for Wlad, but I think Haye winning this fight and then beating Vitali to unify the division is better overall for heavyweight boxing. Should be interesting.

Objectively I think that if Haye doesn't press the fight, Wlad will pick him apart. Wlad has a longer reach, hits harder, and isn't outclassed in terms of speed, so if he can stay outside and make it a tactical fight where he controls the pace, he takes the win. Haye has to hit him on the chin, early and often. He has to shake him up so he can't think. At least to start off. Maybe later in the fight he can keep more of a distance.

4. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I have a feeling that this fight will turn one sided for Wlad. I think Haye will come out quick, then eat about 200 stiff jabs.

5. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    When is Mayweather/Pacquiao going to happen? Both of them act like their scared to fight.

6. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Both?

If anyone could be called as scared it would be Mayweather. I think Manny would sign on the dotted line in a second.

Freddie Roach was on the Radio, as said that in the latest talks, Manny agreed to all testing, but Mayweather demanded 100 million to fight.

7. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    I'd love to see Pacquiao(however it's spelled) vs. Mayweather, for the sole reason that I'd like to see Floyd take on a worthy opponent for once, and most likely take a beating.

8. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Could Floyd Mayweather Jr. defeat the young Sugar Ray Leonard? It's a well known fact that Leonard knocked out Floyd Mayweather Sr. back in 1978 a year before winning the WBC Welterweight title.

9. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I don't think so, he isn't busy enough. SRL could flurry and get out, and do that all night long. The speed would be about equal, so i don't think Floyd could counter all night long, like he likes to do.

10. dante144

dante144 Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    Manny Pacqiao.. one of the best Boxers ever, right? How would you you respond to Pacquiao being the best? True? Not true? Please discuss.

What makes him so good?

11. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Haye needs to press Wlad and not allow him to establish a rhythm and get comfortable. Because then he's in trouble.

Floyd versus Victor Ortiz next. Not the fight we want.

12. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    That's kind of what I'm thinking, Spike. I think it's sort of agreed that if you don't press Wlad, he'll pick you apart behind his jab.

I think if Haye loses and retires, the heavyweight division is done for some time. There's no one else to stand up to the Klitschkos.

13. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000

Sugar Ray Leonard did something that Mayweather hasn't done; he won five titles in five weight divisions including Super Middle Weight and Light Heavy Weight. That said, Ray Leonard would have the punching power over Mayweather even at 147 ILBs. Hand speed would be about equal. If Leonard didn't knock Mayweather Jr. out, he'd surely win by majority decision.

14. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Leonard also fought, and beat, the best fighters of his day, from Roberto Duran, to Thomas Hearns, to Marvin Hagler. Mayweather has never had a fight as difficult as any of those were for Leonard.

15. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I'm so looking forward to Saturday night! Finally the fight that has been 2 years in the making is going to happen!

Now if we could just sort out the Mayweather - Pacquiao fight!

16. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    I'm pretty psyched for Haye vs. Klitschko. I think this is going to be the biggest fight the heavyweight division has seen in some time.

17. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    David Haye is a fraud. What a joke!

Did someone tell him this isn't soccer? He flopped more than a Brittish soccer team.

I thought he would take at least some chances!

18. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Damnit. So is Haye retiring or what?

19. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Haye did not deserve to win the fight on that performance. End of. The worst thing is, nobody else but Vitali would give Wlad a good fight.

20. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I was hoping to see Haye beat Wlad and take on Vitali....

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I watched the fight Saturday, first time I've watched a fight in a long time, and man was it a disappointment, unbelievably boring. Haye had nothing, dropped to his knees more often than a two-bit hooker, and punched like one to boot. His strategy seemed to consist of backpedalling incessantly, then throwing wild, powerless round-houses (Haymakers) in the hope that Klitschko might accidentally walk into one. Klitschko did what he needed to do, but still, I can't say he impressed much either, powerful jab but not very quick or accurate, and he generally forgot he has a right hand. Showed Haye far too much respect, basically only throwing punches when he was 100% sure he would land them. In the end, neither fighter was wiling to take any risks, so that a snoozefest was the obvious outcome.

Reports here in Germany is that the elder Klitschko is now in discussions for a fight with Haye. Oh joy.

22. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I don't think I will watch Haye again. He talked himself into a payday....then blames his toe!!!!

This, after he tells Wlad not to make any excuses!

23. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    To make matters worse Saturday, the announcer on German television was awful, tried to con viewers into believing that it was a high-quality fight and that Haye fought well. Why such a positive spin? Because the station (RTL) just signed a deal to air the next 5 Klitschko (both brothers) fights.

I'd point the idiot to round 15 of a truly enteraining fight: Tate-Weaver, Round 15. Still most incredible turn around to a fight I've ever seen.

24. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I would say that Chavez v Taylor was one of the most exciting last rounds I have seen....a shame Richard Steele did not let Taylor finish the round with seconds left in the 12th

Here are some others:

De La Hoya vs. Quartey (sp?)

Ward vs Gatti I

Norton vs Holmes

25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Just watched round 15 of the Norton Holmes fight on you tube. Wow. I think they threw more punches in that one round than Kltischko and Haye did in their entire fight. Not sure how either of them was still standing at the end, Norton took a few nasty shots in the head, both looked utterly exhausted.