main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.15 - Shades of Reason - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    So Ziro wasn't a major character? I thought he was the first major one to go.

I think the fate of Littlefoot's mother in the first The Land Before Time beats that moment in The Lion King (I won't derail this again, just wanted to get that said).

CT-867-5309 and 07jonesj like this.
  2. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Most people underestimate the powers of the force. You may be the exception. People think that Maul is naturally talented, strong, fast, good, smart, and good at fighting, but many people fail to see that the force is the Mask as seen from the film Mask staring Jim Carey. The force is better than the fairy dust that Tinkerbell sprinkles on Peter Pan. The force makes a person more talented, stronger, faster, better, smarter, and better at fighting.

It is less that the stronger people become force sensitive and more that you do not have to be stronger to become force sensitive and as you train the force helps you get stronger. Maul is naturally a strong person. Without the force, Maul would have still been like a wild beast like Savage. Yoda is small and not as strong but the force makes Yoda stronger. The two Yoda fights, the first against Dooku, and the second duel against Sidious, shows you supernatural Yoda speed and black NBA basketball hops and skills and strength that comes through the force.

Without the force, Yoda would just be an ugly version of the green Kermit the Frog puppet.

3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I think for a major character to be a major character they are required to have a substantial (i.e. not just be stood in the background) role in 4 or 5 episodes, in which case Ziro doesn't make that list. I consider Ziro a recurring character, not a major one. Vizsla holds 5 major appearances (the first and last of Season 2's Mandalore trilogy, "A Friend in Need" and these two Shadow Conspiracy episodes). It's not a rigid rule, but a general one.

Ziro's death was comical, Vizsla's death is the first one I truly consider to have weight. Sure, some of the Clone deaths have been sad, but I would hardly call any of them major characters. If Rex or Fives dies, that'll change.

Fantastic. Now I remember that too. Remind me never to watch so-called innocent 2D animated films.

4. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Savage is pretty damn strong with the Force. His Force Repulse especially, but he was shown to use Force Choke and Push to a surprising degree.

The Force doesn't necessarily make you strong. The relationship is symbiotic, "Listen to the Force, let it guide your feelings." The Force is as much in control of the user as the user is of the Force. Notice how Order 66 was able to come to pass?

It was the will of the Force. If the Force wants you to defeat your opponent, you do. If the Force wants you to be caught unaware, and shot in the back, you get shot in the back.

The Force can make you strong, but I think we give it a high pedestal, in terms of morality. It can equally decide not to give you that strength.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!

rumsmuggler likes this.
  5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Ziro was major only in stature.

07jonesj likes this.
  6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Well said. You more or less covered what I was going to reply with.

07jonesj likes this.
  7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    just like Darth Vader does.... I think that mechanical arm was not really needed and moving it was only old habit and it helps to concentrate the Force.....

8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I can not take Savage seriously at all... he more and more looks like a cow-faced freak with a mech-arm that "can" use the Force so it could provide the "Badass seekers" among the fans.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Savage is magical freak created by Talzin still so he won't surprise me anymore.... but I see no major problem in his mechno hand "using" the Force- he seem to use the Force but nothing indicates that he needed that hand movement to do so- it just helps to concentrate if you use your hand like it would be using the Force..... anyway- not sure what was your point. Savage is definitely meant to be badass but he has been mainly Maul's right hand now and Pre Viszla and Maul have been more badass lately.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  10. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    Probably out of context, but does anyone else hope Maul gets A double blade soon? I hope Savage actually dies at some point, (probably against sidious) and Maul takes his lightsaber. I feel we won't really get to see full potential until he gets it...

11. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I wouldn't mind if he got one or not, I'm more keen to see him use the darksaber. I guess if Savage were to die then Maul would pick up his weapon and use it as his own weapon from that point on.

12. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Savage being "badass" does not equal him being a good character. Him being as bland as he is is one of the main downfalls of the Maul episodes.

fistofan1 likes this.
  13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
  14. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I know, I know... [face_laugh]

But the whole situation with Mandalore in this arc drives me crazy since we know what happened in S2 and S3.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Agreed. No hands required, lol, Vader choked peeps on closed circuit tv... and didn't lift a mechno finger. ;)

rumsmuggler, Seerow and rumblewagon like this.
  16. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Its a show that includes death, decapitations, child murder, torture, terrorism, etc, etc. The network may make a push to a wider audience but the amount of heavy content that it has will never make it a kids show. Ever.

And Theon Greyjoy does not suck.

17. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    TCW was moved with most of the action shows to Saturday mornings so Cartoon Network could push comedy in their place. CN's focus has changed to comedy which also tends to perform better in reruns.

18. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I don't really care if TCW was moved by CN to a Saturday morning time-slot to appeal to more kids; the show ITSELF is for people of all ages. Its got suicide, political extremism, limbs flying off, etc. CN's marketing schemes won't ever change that. Even if CN were to hypothetically somehow for some stupid reason show A Game of Thrones on their own channel on Saturday mornings, it wouldn't change the fact that its a show for adults.

Anywho, we really need to stop talking about this. Its not on topic.

19. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm going to try and steer the thread back on topic.

Dooku should have never existed. I hate that old [Removed -Sx3] now. He was interesting the Nightsisters trilogy, but now with Darth Maul already becoming more successful than he is in such a short time, I wish we didn't have to deal with him and his stupid hologram. Shades of Reason has made me realize how much we need villains like Cad Bane, Darth Maul, Hondo Ohnaka, Mother Talzin, Pong Krell, etc.

SithStarSlayer and rumblewagon like this.
  20. cwquest

cwquest Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    Beginning of this episode felt rushed & a bit childish (all the "gangster" references, they should have gone all out and just called them "baddies") but the duel between maul and vizla was sooooooo epic. Maul has a darksaber now! i wonder if he'll strap it onto his other one and have a double light/dark saber!

SithStarSlayer and rumblewagon like this.
  21. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I wondered whether you were pushing a timeless/ageless appeal argument. To which I will say, Star Wars itself transcends age demographics, and this is true to an extent with the Clone Wars in that it can appeal to all Star Wars fans, but there is definitely an emphasis on the younger end of the market with some of the subject material. Droid and Jar Jar comic relief is something that really doesn't appeal to anything other than kids. There are more mature and complex themes discussed, but they are addressed in such a way that it is accessible to the younger viewer and makes a certain amount of sense. There's a lot of violence, but it's choreographed and portrayed in such a way that it's not too graphic, so it's still age appropriate. Further, there's the whole marketing aspect. TCW merchandise is (AFAIK) solely for kids. It's all toys, costumes and stuff like that. The adverts and promotions are aimed towards younger viewers. This more than anything tells me that TCW is a kids show, because this is the demographic the producers are focusing their marketing on.

QuangoFett and Esg like this.
  22. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    The decision for Sidious to have Dooku as his apprentice also seemed a bit off to me when I first saw AotC. There seemed to be an implication that Sidious was dissatified with Maul and his overconfidence/arrogance that got him sliced in half, so Sidious decided to go with someone more experienced and level-headed; and who could give him leverage against the Jedi.

Vialco and pronker like this.
  23. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I think it was genius - have a former Jedi as your apprentice and then make that former Jedi start one of the bloodiest wars in history, when you rise you can use the fact that the leader of the enemy was a Jedi to showcase how the Jedi manipulated the war.

It is better than having a mini-mi version of Satan on sugar on your side. :p

24. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I always felt that Sidious was using Dooku and his knowledge of the jedi and access to Jedi history to help with his plan towards the downfall of the jedi. Plus it also showed that many Jedi in the order were growing more and more tired of how the Council ran the order. We got our first sign of that in TPM with Qui-Gon and the order initially denying him training Anakin. They always alluding to Dooku and Qui-Gon being friends and knowing each other. Who's to say if Qui-Gon survived that he would still be with the order come AOTC.

rumblewagon likes this.
  25. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    IMO, the Darth Plagueis book also really helped to develop Dooku's character and the relationship between Sidious/Dooku more than the movies did.

pronker and Original Oatmeal like this.