main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~* The Community Thread *~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Amidala_Skywalker, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_StarDust

Jedi_StarDust Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2002
    *Runs into the thread panting*

Finally, I was able to escape from the clutches of DRL and come here to post a few words. :) First off, I'd like to throw some fish in the air a la Elli. 8-} After all, what's a thread without the fish? Teehee. MTFWBY takes on a whole new meaning.

Secondly, I want to send out a huge huggies to Amsié - in congratulations for both your new position as a mod and also for being a great friend. The Handmaiden Society wouldn't be anything without you, Empress. ;) I remember when I first received your invitation to join the round robin, COTR. Even though it didn't work out in the end :( (sorries), I was able to meet you and Oba and so many other great people by planning the story. Eventually, LT, Oba and I became the original handmaidens, and since then it's all been good. Amsié, you rock my socks. Keep on amazing us with your stories, and being that awesome person you are.

Oba, Oba, Oba ... I remember way back then when you were still the "newbie" I had yet to meet. Haha. We've come a long way since then. Through crazy chats and screams of congratulations (in recognition of your archive domination 8-} ) you've always stuck by and been a great friend to talk to. Someday, you and Am will both be famous writers and I'll be sure to buy your books until they're at the top of bestsellar lists. (And don't forget your fluency in nodding and speaking in AIM face language... haha)

Elli! Hehe perhaps the most crazy of them all. I just love the fish, too. They sure have a way of lighting up the thread, eh? Your positive attitude helps make the day brighter, and whenever I talk to you, I can't help but smile. Thanks for adding positive light in the midst of DRL's rage.

Liz - Always such a fun person to talk to. :) I haven't seen you in a long while; where've you been? Hopefully we can chat soon on AIM. See you around!

CK - Haven't talked to you in some time too. :( DRL is such a venomous monster. Eek. I say we form a party and try to turn it to the light side. 8-}

Handmaidens - LP (hehe your three-year-old with the bear named Chewbaca... 1, 2, 3 ...awww), Suzy (you're so much fun chatting with! I hope to see you in more of our chats soon!), Vi, Hannah, PSK, AQ, Emmi, Mi. I still have yet to meet Bri, Celt, Gabri, Moon, and Kris - but I'm extending a warm welcome to all of you!

Last but certainly not least a big huggles to LT! You rock, twiness, for without you - I wouldn't have even joined the boards in the first place. You've got to come visit more often! Ever since you left for boarding school all the Mimis don't get to see you as much! *Gasp* I mean, what if you do something dangerous like turning sane? Viv would most certainly get a word in about that. Just don't forget your eleven sisters - remember mimi jie mei forever and ever. That's a sealed promise.

Dusty

2. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    I'm starting to get used to the split somewhat. It'll take a while though.

As for where I live? San Francisco. Best. City. Ever! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Even if it is expensive. :p

3. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Awwwz. [face_blush] *throws open arms and hugs Dusty* :D

I remember being the newbie too! :p I felt so awkward and small, and you just made me feel at home! :D And like I wasn't some stupid newbie, though I'm sure I was. :p

It is odd, seeing all the by-age threads . . . I'm not concerned, though. ;) It's difficult to really judge someone by their age when all you can see is the text they write, and anywho, we've got our lil' Community thing here. *pats thread* :D

I live in a desert, and I'm glad [face_love] , because cold makes me miserable. :p So high five to anyone who lives in a desert and actually likes it. ;) :cool:

[edit] Su, making the head handmaiden edit her post . . . badness. [face_devil] I'm also getting used to the split. It no longer seems like I clicked the wrong thing when I hit Fan Fiction on the main part, and I'm not hitting 'Fan Activities' so much anymore. [face_blush]

4. DarthSnuggles1121

DarthSnuggles1121 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    JC friends? This might take awhile... :p

All those wonderful Clique members - Miana (we love you despite your hair color ;) ), Sache (long live the real Faramir!!!), Qwi (make sure that kid watches plenty of Disney movies!), Jen (all hail my triplet Flopsy, the leather-obsessed Queen of Gondor!), Em (you helped me get through a lot, Mopsy, and I'm forever grateful to have you in my life) Kev (I miss ya, and I swear I'll eventually catch up on all your wonderful fics), Amsie (be sure to spare me when you take over the JC), Sebby (the bestest bus-driving Dug there is!), Tim (be sure to spare me when you take over the world), Lunerbeam (the nerve of me, to be in such a noble presence), Anna (hurray for HP!), Jadey (you're very cool, for an old fogie *runs* ;) ), Kirk (what I said to Jade), Jo (you also make sure your kid watches plenty of Disney!), Matt (your Cane of Pain taught me respect for the elderly), Dave (you wouldn't be mad if I invaded the wedding, would you?), Marie (haven't talked to you nearly enough, but you certainly are a sweetheart), Sil (WE MISS YOU!!!), Christine (too much sewing isn't good for a person... ;) ), Arna (someday I'll be nerdier than you, you just wait :p ), and Kady (my partner in crime - hurrah for shirtless Jango!).

And I must give special mention to Saber-of-Light, Twin_Suns_Leader, Jaina_Fel_06, Jade_Skywalker, JainaJag00, and all my wonderful readers (so sorry I can't remember all the names!) for their many kind reviews, as well as their "creative" ups. You guys are the best!

Not to be left out, there's Viari Skywalker, my adoptee, who is a fantastic writer and an all-around spiffy person. Now I just have to find the time to catch up on her fics... :p

And last but certainly not least is Melyanna - my adopter, my beta, my own Obi-Wan Kenobi. She took me in, showed me the ropes, and introduced me to many of the people I mentioned up there. She's an amazing writer, and a real inspiration to me. I feel truly blessed to count her as a friend.

Heck, I feel truly blessed to count all of these people as friends! :)

5. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    I live to make your job hard, head handmaiden. Mwahahaha. [face_devil]

:p

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    we love you despite your hair color LOL!!!! Thanks a lot, Danni! :p

*sigh* Well... we're finally at war... Thoughts? Insight anyone?

7. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I'm not happy about the war...well, I'm a Swede, so maybe that's no surprise. Actually, I'm rather upset with the US government rigth now - but of course, that's not a first. *wryt smile* Hm, I don't think I should get started on this - I'm in way too good mood rigth now.

Won't hesitate to post in the new sections, once my current story is done - which might take a while, since DRL is constantly keeping me from writing. (Is it just me, or is writing fanfics like having a constant bad consciense?)...

And as to me...I'm Kee, and I live in happy symbios with my very large ego. We live with my (our) father in an apartment in Uppsala, a small town in Sweden (of course, in Sweden it's a rather big town - but everywhere else it's small). I love big DV, cats, movies and biting people (huge crush on Spike in Buffy). When I'm not writing or biting people I produce and direct short movies, hoping to be a professional director once I grow up...People tend to call me evil and I have no idea why (c'mon...just because I'm physically expressive and adore villains) but it's okay, since it usually results in me getting my way, something I've very fond of. :D

8. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm not happy about the war either. I'm hoping other countries don't get dragged in on either side, or caught in the crossfire (metaphorically speaking).

9. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Hmm... I come from the land down-under...

That about sums it up! :D Cheesy grins to other Aussies!

10. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Friends? Not too many on the fanfiction boards, one thing I'm hoping to change.

As for the second question, I live in the desert. In the middle of nowhere. Forty-five minutes from the border and twenty from the nearest anything. And let me point out that I just moved here half a year ago after living my entire life in Los Angeles. A big, big, bigger than life change. And I still don't like it! :_| Heat kills me. I love the rain.

As for my fics, I get my inspirations from movies, songs, other fics... and then completely make them my own, of course. ;) I have this awful tendency to never finish the fics that I start.

In recent news, I practically cried myself to sleep a few nights ago because a fics of mine that I worked hard on was deleted. :_| I may never recover from the lost.

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I've posted it a couple of other places here at JCF... It sums up my opinion on this mess entirely.

The Box
    John Denver

Once upon a time, in the land of hushabye.
    Around about the wondrous days of yore.
    They came upon a kind of box,
    Bound with chains and locked with locks
    And labeled, "Kindly do not Touch, it's WAR"

A decree was issued round about,
    All with a flourish and a shout,
    And a gaily colored mascot tripping lightly on the fore,
    "Don't tamper with this deadly box,
    Or break the chains, or pick the locks
    And please,
    Don't ever play about with war."

Well, the children understood
    Children happen to be good.
    And they were just as around the time of yore
    They didn't try to break the chains,
    Or pick the locks,
    They didn't play about with war

Mommies didn't either,
    Sisters, aunts, grannies neither
    They were quiet and sweet and pretty, in those wondrous days of yore,
    Fairly much the same as now.
    Not the ones to blame somehow,
    for opening up that deadly box of war.

But someone did,
    Someone battered in the lid
    and spilled the insides out across the floor
    A Kind of bouncy bumpy ball, filled with guns and flags and all the tears and
    horror and death, that goes with war.

It bounced right out and went crashing all about And bumping into everything in store,
    and what was sad and most unfair
    Is that it didn't really seem to care

Much who it bumped
    Or why, or what, or for.

It bumped the children mainly,
    And I'll tell you this quite plainly.
    It bumps them every day and more, and more
    And leaves them dead and burned and dying
    Thousands of them sick and crying
    Because when it bumps,
    its really very sore.

Now there?s a way to stop the ball.
    it isn't difficult at all
    all it takes is wisdom...
    and I'm absolutely sure
    We can get the ball back in the box,
    And bind the chains,
    And lock the locks.
    But no one seems to want to save the children any more.

Well that?s the way it all appears...
    Because its been bouncing round for years and years.
    In spite of all the wisdom whiz since those wondrous days of yore...

When they came upon a kind of box,
    bound with chains, and locked with locks.
    And labeled "Kindly do not touch"
    "ITS WAR"

12. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    For me, diplomacy is always the better option, but it can only go so far. I'm not sure there was a diplomatic solution in this case. As much as I hate war, I hate the thought of allowing so many people to live under such conditions.

There's a similar situation right now on The West Wing, where the administration was talking about changing foreign policy to allow for military intervention over humanitarian issues, and this comment from an episode pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter: "If we're for freedom from tyranny, then we're for freedom from tyranny, and if we're not, we should shut up."

Mel

13. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I don't like the war. At all. I don't like the concept behind it, why we're doing it, or thinking about what's going on over there. [face_plain] *sigh* We're studying the "Just War Theory" in my history class (yeah, score one for Cathl'ic high schools! ;) :p) and I really don't think it's justified or whatever. I really think that we have bigger threats, namely Korea, that are just a lot more dangerous. *shrug* But what do I know? I'm just your average fifteen-year-old, slightly over-the-top handmaiden fanfic writer. :p

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I've got mixed feelings about the war, truthfully. Granted, I'm anti-war, more so now considering I have many friends already over there (*points to sig*). However, thanks to my AP US History class, I'm somewhat seeing why we need to go to war. There are WAY too many parallels between Saddam and Hitler... :(

Oh, and as to me: :p
    Well, 16 (17 in May. YAY!) year old Junior in highschool. Live in the desert of Southern California, and I have proudly done so my entire live (the same house even!). Um... been here 3 & 1/2 years (*shakes fist at incorrect reg. date*), and I've been sucked into the twilight zones called "The Clique" and the sororie.. I mean, group of Amsie's handmaidens. ;)

15. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    [tim taylor voice]Oh no.... war talk on the JC[/tim taylor voice] ;) (For those of you who don't know who Tim Taylor is watch Home Improvement.)
    Personally I am for the war. In my opinion diplomacy has clearly failed. Iraq has ignored the UN Resolution, by being in clear material breach. This was clearly illustrated to the UN(numerous times I might add), yet somehow a lot of people didn't want to follow through on the UN resolution and force Iraq to disarm. Yes it does suck that the US is taking action into its own hands, but in my opinion thats because the UN has failed to uphold its own resolution concerning Iraq. Personally I find it almost humerous that Iraq has claimed for years that they no longer had SCUD missiles yet they launced at least 2 of these weapons at US forces in Kuwait. Yet somehow some countries coughFrancecough refuse to acknowledge the fact that Iraq has ignored the UN Resolution.

This whole debacle in Iraq seems to point out the flaws in the UN. My biggest gripe is the UN seems unwilling to back up it own rulings. It seems that NATO has shown itself to be the more cohesive alliance of nations at this time. I do agree with what Elli said, North Korea does present a problem to the US. But at least there is still a chance, albeit a low one, for diplomacy to succeed in Korea.

Now onto something less controversial. So far the board split has been... interesting. I'll reserve judgement for a little while longer, but so far it seems to be working well. Now onto some comments... :D

Am and all the Handmaidens: Thanks for including me in some of your *pauses for right word* crazy antics. Tis a great break from DRL. You guys all crack me up. Its people like you who keep the forums fun.

Elli: Ahhh... my apprentice. To think I used to be sane. :p I think that I have been truely lucky to have an apprentice like you. You are truely one of kind. Thanks for keeping the boards interesting. :)

Jedi-Princess-Solo: We both came to the boards at the same time. For almost a year now you have kept me captivated by your incredible Jaina/Jag series of fics. That and you've read my fics even when I've fallen behind on yours. *grumbles about DRL*

J_K_DART: I know DRL has you trapped right now buddy. Thanks for keeping me interested in Fan Fics. Your kind words when I first started out is what kept me here. Thank you so much. Good luck escaping Darth School/Real Life. :)

Kathryn: You stuck with me even through my terrible first fic. ;) I know you've been caught by Darth School, but hopefully you escape soon. ;) Thanks for sticking with me all this time.

If I missed anyone I'm terribly sorry. I'm sure I'll be adding to this list.

J_J

EDIT: heh heh... spelling. *grumbles about computer*

16. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Another real mean day - if I don't find an old lady to star in my movie today or tomorrow I'll probably kill something. *grumbles* And I shouldn't be here...I'm way to stressed.

And how am I supposed to feel good when whining about my problems while there's a war going on...

*sits down in a cornern and feel mad*

17. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    Hmm.... I hope I didn't kill the thread. :(

J_J

18. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    *laughs* You didn't. ;)

Just thought I'd duck in, say I support the war, and I really like fanfiction. Fanfiction = escapism and obsession! :D [face_mischief]

19. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Im against the war, and i think Bush needs to stop trying to re-live his father's old glories

20. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I support the war

I disagree. But everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

I really like fanfiction. Fanfiction = escapism and obsession!

I most definatly agree :D

21. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Bri_Windstar

Bush needs to stop trying to re-live his father's old glories...

But he's doing such a wonderful job of follwing his father's **** Ups.

My thinking is "when did our oil get under their land?"

*grrrrrrrrrrrr*

Ok, now that this is turning into the Senate forum...

22. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the war about saving human rights/preventing human rights violations and not oil? President Bush has point blank said the oil belongs to the people of Iraq, no one else.

J_J

23. DarthSnuggles1121

Apr 28, 2002
    "Wars not make one great."

Sorry, had to. ;)

I reeeeeeeeeeeeally don't like the idea of war, and no, I don't like this war, even if it is for a good cause. But of course, if it's something they (and by "they" I mean the army/marines/navy and such) have to do, then I guess they have to do it. It's their decision to go over there, so it's a decision I respect. I don't know enough about the war to really get involved in an in-depth discussion about it, so this is all I'm going to say--

As long as my stupid brother-in-law doesn't get himself killed, I'll be fine. :p

24. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    President Bush has point blank said the oil belongs to the people of Iraq, no one else.

He should have had the pre-requisit of "Read my lips..." before that statement.

Not to get into a debate here but many of the facts and plans seem to state otherwise...

Edit:

If it were TRUELY about 'human rights'[/i] then there are a few other NON OIL Bearing countries that we would be involved in... China, Tibet... funny little Place with nuclear weapons and a list of human rights violations as long as your arm called North Korea...

/Edit.

I really hope that this thread will move on from this subject very quickly...

When asked about her feelings for Dub'ya Darth Breezy was quoted as saying the following, "I believe that George Bush is a good president just as much as I believe in limited nuclear bombs and the Easter Bunny..."

25. DarthSnuggles1121

Apr 28, 2002
    When asked about her feelings for Dub'ya Darth Breezy was quoted as saying the following, "I believe that George Bush is a good president just as much as I believe in limited nuclear bombs and the Easter Bunny..."

[face_laugh]

Oh, but he's a smart president. And he didn't use "subliminable" messages in his ad campaign either. ;)

*runs away from the political flamers*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.