main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY The Dar news thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Dec 19, 2010.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Double checked with Dar last evening and he gave me approval to start a "Dar" thread where he can check in and let us know how he's doing, how to reach him, any special requests he has and just another way for us to keep in touch with him and give him encouragement. Maybe he might only have time to post on facebook or something and someone can share the news over here for those of us not on facebook.

Here are a couple of news items to get us started
    http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20101209/NEWS/312090065/Fort+Knox+brigade+heading+for+Afghanistan

Dar's gonna have new duds!
    http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20101216/NEWS01/312160086/Fort+Knox+soldiers+getting+new+uniforms+to+better+match+terrain+in+Afghanistan

2. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    I'm Lord Vox Deamonicus, you know my co-host Jedimika, and this is

DAR-WATCH 2011!!!!

3. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    okay, not star wars related, but of importance to Dar and Showtunes:

Murphy's laws of combat:

# Friendly fire - isn't.
    # Recoilless rifles - aren't.
    # Suppressive fires - won't.
    # A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.
    # If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
    # Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.
    # If at first you don't succeed, call in an air strike.
    # If you are forward of your position, your artillery will fall short.
    # Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself.
    # Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.
    # If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.
    # The enemy diversion you're ignoring is their main attack.
    # The enemy invariably attacks on two occasions:
    when they're ready.
    when you're not.
    # No OPLAN ever survives initial contact.
    # There is no such thing as a perfect plan.
    # Five second fuses always burn three seconds.
    # There is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.
    # The easy way is always mined.
    # Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.
    # Never draw fire; it irritates everyone around you.
    # If you are short of everything but the enemy, you are in the combat zone.
    # When you have secured the area, make sure the enemy knows it too.
    # Incoming fire has the right of way.
    # No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection.
    # No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat.
    # If the enemy is within range, so are you.
    # Tracers work both ways.
    # Weather ain't neutral.
    # If you can't remember, the Claymore is pointed toward you.
    # The one item you need is always in short supply.
    # Interchangeable parts aren't.
    # It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.
    # When in doubt, empty your magazine.

4. DarKyram

DarKyram Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 5, 2010
    I just want everyone to know that I am very thankful for all your thoughts and words. I'll do my best to keep up on here and keep you all abreast of my adventures to come.

5. LordZannah

LordZannah Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2010
    My Ner Vodika Mandalorian... OYA!!!!!! We are thankful for "you". [:D] And as an after thought, you would think that they would know by now to... "Ke nu?Jurkadir sha Mando?ade"!! [face_beatup] Some people are just hard to learn. [face_batting]

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Latest CJ article on Dar's deployment
    http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20101229/NEWS01/312290112/Fort+Knox+bids+300+soldiers+farewell

7. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Thanks Mika, he will actually be here tonight, we're going to spend New Years together, but he will be leaving.... very soon now. :(

8. DarKyram

Apr 5, 2010
    I now have my mailing address, and I will give it to Chuck and Cathy. They will give it out in person. I was gonna post it, but thought other wise due to security reasons. So if you wish to know my mailing information, they WILL have it tonight. Or, call my phone within the next few days and I will offer it to you that way.

Thank you Mika for being on top of the news articles, you're the man, buddy.

9. DarKyram

Apr 5, 2010
    Here's another news thread I just came across.

http://www.wlky.com/news-archives/26310452/detail.html

Hehe, beat ya to the punch, Mika!

10. 11-11

11-11 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    You'll be in our thoughts and prayers, Dar. MTFBWY

11. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
  12. DarKyram

Apr 5, 2010
    Hey everyone. Just wanted you to all know it's cold as osik just south of friggin' Russia! Its cooooold! Anyway, I'm doing good so far. I been through both Ireland and Germany on the way, and pretty soon I'll be in lovely Afghanistan. Love you all and miss you all already!

Updates as I can!

13. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks! Hope you had a chance to at least catch a little of the scenery from the air. I'm guessing you didn't have a chance to explore.

14. DarKyram

Apr 5, 2010
    Nope, no seeing the sights. Its as if the Army has this unyielding desire to do everything over night. And keep you constantly in the dark as they transport you from place to place.

Currently I'm in a little place known as Kuldazfukistan. It sucks. I'm actually finding I hate the cold even more.

So no BLEEP there I was, right? Just got done shaving, and accidentally got some water on my coat. So I figured what ever. Its not so bad outside, i'mma run out, smoke a cig, then head back in and call it a night.

Well, I'm out there smoking and...my wet spot on my shirt... BLEEPing FROZE! It was THAT cold outside! I wasn't out long enough to finish my smoke, and my shirt had frozen a hard chunk of frozen shirt. Crazy.

We were gonna leave here for Afghanistan, but the plane malfunctioned, so we're stuck here in the wasteland tundra another...how ever long.

So I want you to all know that cold, on this side of the world, absolutely SUCKS. Like, worse than Kentucky cold. Because this place is depressing. Its just epicly depressing. This is the Air Force Base airmen are sent when they BLEEP up.

Well, I'm gonna go get some sleep methinks. I been runnin' nonstop for the past week, sleeping on the plane, napping in the tents (slightly heated) and then napping when I can between formations and preparations and chows and stuff. I'mma get a full nights sleep tonight.

Love and miss you all already. Dueces!

15. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Bane and I miss you too Dar.... very much. But here's me being Momma now... ;) Can we say "Fearfik" boys and girls? You know I love you, I do, I do. [face_love] But don't make me break out the bar of soap. [face_shame_on_you] [:D]

16. DarKyram

Apr 5, 2010
    Oops. Muh bad. :cool: Its been fixededed.

17. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks Momma Zannah, can't let him pick up (more) bad habits while he's away from us.

See Dar, smoking is bad for your health..you'll freeze!
    What's the time differential? Are you ahead of us or behind us?

18. Kepare

Kepare Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2010
    He should still be ahead. He's somewhere between Chicago and LA away from GMT the other way, give or take.

19. DarKyram

Apr 5, 2010
    Its, like an eleven hour difference. At least here in Manas. It's Sat 8:36 PM there, its Sun 7:36 AM here. And, like, negative freezing cold outside.

20. DarKyram

Apr 5, 2010
    Its, like an eleven hour difference. At least here in Manas. It's Sat 8:36 PM there, its Sun 7:36 AM here. And, like, negative freezing cold outside. Just negative cold while in doors.

21. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Big huge hugs Dar! [:D] Your muh special Mandalorian... always. And Mika is right, you'll freeze your shabs smoking out here. =P~ [face_batting]

22. DarKyram

Apr 5, 2010
    I just want to let everyone know that I've made it to FOB Selarno and I'm safe and sound. We had a mortar round hit last night, but I'm fine of course.

Well, I'll keep in touch. Don't worry, from what I've gathered since we been here, I'm fairly sure that I'll be safe not too worried about anything happening to me while I'm here.

I love ya'll, miss ya'll, and can't wait for this year to be over with.

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks Dar! Keep those reports coming in!

24. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Big hugs to ya Manda... [:D] I am sooooo relieved to hear that. Have you been in contact with Showtunes? How is he faring?

25. DarKyram

Apr 5, 2010
    Showtunes is good. He just asked me online to pass the message that he misses everyone.

I've finally gotten out and seen the country side of Afghanistan. Aaaaannnnnd not impressed. Run down ghetto that's thirty years in the past. I ain't seen a vehicle here that the Afghanis have that isn't made by Toyota from the eighties. Seriously, if i could record the radio chatter today... "Incoming vehicle, white toyota corolla" and play it as a drinking game that every time you heard Toyota Corolla, you would be so trashed beyond all belief.

Anyway, I'd love to post more stuff, but I'm exhausted from the past few days. I'll hit anyone who says being a truck driver in the Army is an easy job. 'Cause it ain't.

I love ya'll and will talk to you later.