main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Day Evil Won: FINAL CRISIS

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Soontir-Fel, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Thats right people, the comic event of the year is almost here. Final Crisis, the day that evil won, the death of the Fourth World, the birth of the Fifth World, and other such company ads.
    By the amazing team of Grant Morrison (AKA crazy magician of comics) and JG Jones (AKA OH LOOK THE PRETTYS)

Of course being an event, there has to be some tie ins. Three minis count as the main tie ins
    [image=http://independentcomicssite.net/images/stories/200804/0427SotARR.jpg?ok=ok]

Final Crisis: Rogues? Revenge #1-3 (July ? Sept. 08) 3 issues
    Written by Geoff Johns, Pencilled by Scott Kolins

"After years in the making, the Rogues? Revenge will finally see the light of day under a Final Crisis banner. Instead of six regular issues, the miniseries will now be three oversized issues long that will tie-in to Final Crisis as its scope and ramifications have grown much larger with all the talking Johns has done with Grant Morrison.
    The story will deal with the repercussion of the Rogues? killing of Bart Allen, an act that bent their nº 1 rule (never kill a Flash) and all the **** they?ve gone through in Countdown and Salvation Run. ?They've been on the run since Bart's death and now the Secret Society of Super-Villains is putting the screws to them. They?ve had it, and they?re not going to take it anymore?, said Johns about the Rogues that will try to rebel against the Secret Society. Johns also said that the reformed Rogue, Pied Piper, will not only make a return but also be after them. ?We?ll be getting into the Rogues? psychosis a little bit deeper than we have before. People'll see a lot of Captain Cold and learn Weather Wizard?s dark secret?, teased Geoff."

[image=http://independentcomicssite.net/images/stories/200804/0427SotAL3W.jpg?ok=ok]

Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #1-5 (Aug. ? Dec. 08) 5 issues
    Written by Geoff Johns, Pencilled by George Pérez

"Five oversized issues will pull together characters from three teams that have called themselves Legion of Super-Heroes during DC?s publishing history. Set in a universe plagued by a growing xenophobia that believes a united universe is a dream and that the Legion itself is obsolete; our heroes from the 31st century, led by Superman, will be facing Superman Prime (who?s teamed-up with the Legion of Super-Villains) and other bad guys such as Time Trapper and Lex Luthor. ?This is the Crisis of the 31st Century. George and I are doing a huge DC epic from the point of view of the 31st century?, said Johns.

Probably one of the most important things Legion of 3 Worlds sets out to do is ?fixing? the Legion?s timeline which has suffered two reboots that wiped away everything that came before them. According to Johns all three Legions will be canon from now on and the ?wiping aways? are going to be explained. ?Someone's been screwing with the Legion for a very long time?, stated Johns before hinting Time Trapper might be the one.

As if that wasn?t enough, we?ll learn who the last two Green Lanterns left are, while the story also ties loose ends from other books, such as the fate of THE lightning rod from The Lightning Saga."
    Preview here!

[image=http://independentcomicssite.net/images/stories/200804/0427SotARev.jpg?ok=ok]

Final Crisis: Revelations #1-5 (Aug. ? Dec. 08) 5 issues
    Written by Greg Rucka, Pencilled by Philip Tan

According to Rucka, ?Something happens in Final Crisis that sets the Spectre off on the traditional Spectre journey which is, something horrible has happened, go punish the wicked. But then he finds himself in a position where he is literally unable to do it. And if he is powered by God, and he is unable to do it, there has to be a reason for it?. Those events will set-up a whole internal crisis for the Spectre along the lines of ?Oh what the hell? I can kill my son, but I can?t kill this guy? This is screwed up?, said the writer. When at the end of the first issue, he?s ordered to kill a person who mattered a great deal in his life before

2. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I bet the final crisis will not be the final one.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's the final part of the Crisis trilogy, both the three Crisis stories from 85-08. But also it's the final act of stories that began back in 04. And DC has said that this is the final story. If there is another down the line, then yeah it'll happen. But right now, this is the final one.

4. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Man, half of the pictures aren't showing up.

I blame Christian.

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I know that I'll probably get most of this, but meh. Marvel's Secret Invasion seems more interesting to me at the moment. And that's just not right because

A) I care more about third string DC heroes like Montoya's Question than I do first string Marvel heroes like Spider-Man and Iron Man.
    B) Secret Invasion has a writer I'm pretty meh about and an artist whose work I actively dislike.
    C) Secret Invasion's plotline is borderline stupid. Did I say borderline? I meant completely.
    D) A multiverse spanning FINAL CRISIS tying in all the major DCU heroes and villains should be really, really up my ally.

Instead, meh. Just meh. It might be just that it's Grant Morrison, who I think is probably one of the worst influences in today's comics. Morrison is like a cross between a poor man's Alan Moore and a poor man's Mark Miller - trying to write trippy stories that just pulse with love for the creations of previous creators, and failing pretty hard every time. Take his current run on Batman - please.

6. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    I thought Mark Millar was a poor mans Mark Millar.

7. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Yaknow, I was just talking to Soontir about that same thing. On the surface, I should be caring about FC a lot. It's got a writer who is usually more "hit" than miss with me, and an artist who is fantastic. Plus, I loved Infinite Crisis and 52. So why am I caring more about SI? Is it the lackluster lead ins to FC? Or the material itself? (I fully admit to not really knowing/caring much about Fourth World stuff). I really cannot put my finger on it, but this seems like a much smaller deal to me than it should be.

Also, don't blame me for your failing the interwebs Soontir. :p

8. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Damn you Canada for getting this before us.

Raven doesn't even like Grant Morrison. Why do you punish us for his sins? WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME?

9. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Read Job IMO.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Not really pleased with the first issue and all the jumping around and off camera happenings.

11. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    So, I think that the Manhunters death is a red herring, that Dan Turpin is currently holding the soul of Orion, and the Dark Side Club is up to something big.

All in all a good first issue, but it was mostly set up and could have done with some more exposition.

12. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Yeah the off camera death makes me think he'll be back by the last issue.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Uh, J'onn is dead. He was impaled with Libra's justice scales/lance, which was flaming. Everyone confirmed that he is dead and that "Requiem" will show his funeral. He didn't die off panel, he died on panel. Pierced his heart. He's dead.

14. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    But this is Grant Morrison we're talking about. He thinks death is too good for most heroes. And the way it was done, Jones stated that Morrison specifically requested that it was done that way. After how he was portrayed in DC 1,000,000 and JLA, both done by Morrison, theres no way that he would go out like that unless it was to serve a bigger purpose.

15. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    I think it's important to remember Booster Gold died "on screen" in 52, and DC swore up and down he was really dead. Obviously, that did not last, so to think Martian Manhunter's death is written in stone seems a bit premature IMO...

16. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Ah. I missed the impaling. It looked like he was just lit on fire. Can't believe I missed the sword protruding from his chest. :p I still think though that he has a very good chance of coming back by the last issue as others have pointed out the possible futures that he had in past arcs.

17. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

It's a comic. No death is final.

18. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I just read the first issue, this morning. Not a bad start, at all, and I'm interested to see where elements of the series goes. Probably my highlight of the issue was the arrests following the super criminal protest. [face_laugh] I got a chuckle imagining all of these B-List villains out on the street, in a peaceful protest setting.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I never said that J'onn won't ever come back from the dead. Just that I don't believe that he will be in this series. I could be wrong and will admit to it.

Just don't forget this teaser image.

[image=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/darth-sinister/Avatars/Avatars-2/Avatars-3/FinalCrisis.jpg]

20. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Yes but J'onn is not a legend on that art. :)

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, Peter Tomasi, who is the writer of "Final Crisis: Requiem" confirmed that J'onn is dead. And not only that, but he also explained a few things.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16674

He also said this.

Not just that, but there was also a confirmation a while ago when the new Justice League book was announced.

The new JL book centers around the death of a hero, which prompts Hal and Ollie to break off from the JLA and form their own team to avenge him. Which then leads the new team to become more proactive in dealing with all villains, not just those who killed J'onn.

22. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    After Issue 2, I really do not like the way this issue tries to throw so much in with so little explanation. The characters have no time to reflect on anything as they suddenly have to run off and deal with something else. And for the reader, it's sensory overload.

23. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Having not read anything since Infinite Crisis, but curious about picking up Final Crisis, what would be required reading to be informed enough to follow Final Crisis or should I be alright just reading the series alone?

24. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    It's 100% typical Grant Morrison. Random ideas that don't particularly make sense thrown together in a straight-faced way. It's like Alan Moore, without the genius.

25. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    It's not very accessible, at all. Hell, I'm confused half the time reading it...Plus, is it just me or did JG's art seem a bit less sharp than it did in #1?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.