main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The DC thread, if you ask me.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Raven, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Thats always been largely accepted in the mainstream (or at least as mainstream as comic can be considered). I've seen it mentioned around but mostly in a "hawt" sort of way, no conterversy involved. I honestly don't think 10 years ago the reaction would of been much different. In many ways, especialy with the way its treated in comics and other media, lesbians are much more accepted then gay men, thats always where the controversy has sprung up from what I've seen. I'd imagine if you got the same scene with two men it would still be very much, "a huge deal".

Either way. Week 3 was quite the treat. The body wasn't Alex's though was it?

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Didn't they have the man on man action scene in Manhunter with Obsidian and other guy?

3. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I assumed it was, masked by the same technology that he had used while alive, only this time used by the main Lex to fix his rep.

And man, Black Adam is hardcore...

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, in Manhunter, we see Obsidan kissing another man.

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Manhunter isn't exactly mainstream though - quite the opposite, it's on the chopping block due to lack of sales.

My assumption is actually that Luthor didn't use masking technology on Alex; he just gave him a haircut and put contacts in. Steel, in the autopsy, was about to look to see if the corpse had been wearing the contacts for long when Luthor walked in, and Luthor asked him if he found the contacts. Basically, Luthor set the whole thing up. ?You think that they were inserted post-mortem?? ?Wouldn?t put it past him.?

Mind you, the wounds have apparently healed. So, Luthor definitely did a bit more work on the body than just replacing the contacts.

Booster annoys me. I know that he?s supposed to at this point. Doesn?t change the fact that he?s annoying. Black Adam, on the other hand, is awesome. I?m glad that there aren?t more ?heroes? like him, but having one or two around is a good thing. Hopefully, he?ll keep up his new mission even after 52 has ended - and I'm curious as to who will join him.

Oh yes, Steel: he's the man.

6. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    It does seem odd that Booster has gotten most of the attention so far in the series (he's the only one to appear in all three issues, and has had a good chunk of pages in each one). And yeah. I'm not nearly as interested in him as I am, say of Black Adam, the Question and Ralph Dibny at this point. But it's still way too early to judge.

7. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    My guess is that there's two reasons Booster is first and foremost right now.

Firstly, his opening plotline is one that has to take place now. They could let Montoya and the Question, or Steel or Black Adam, or Ralph Dibny drag a little longer before getting into their plots - and they are. But Booster's knowledge of what's ahead is already falling apart, and so that plot needs to be the opening one in my opinion.

Secondly, I think that the writers just like Booster.

And thirdly (even though I said there would be only two reasons), I think that it's because the sooner Booster gets knocked down a few pegs the less annoying he'll be.

8. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    I just hope that they don't do this same "Skeets predicts something...AND IT'S WRONG!" stuff they have done three weeks in a row now for a long time. I would like to see some progress as to why start to appear soon. To move the story, and to cut down the annoyance factor of Booster. :p

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think what's happening is we're seeing Booster in the spotlight at the outset. Then we'll shift focus to Steel. Then to Ralph. Then Black Adam. Then to the Question and Montoya, but we'll see their points of view separately. It could be one month of one character and the next month will be someone else. I also think because of the time stream issues, Booster is shown first as we are getting to understand what changed.

10. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Batwoman's identity has been revealed:

as well as Batwoman, Kathy Kane, who, according to the article: ??is a wealthy (socialite), buxom lipstick lesbian who has a history with Renee Montoya, an ex-police detective who has a starring role in 52."

Oh yeah B)

11. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003

Spoilers

Oh my heavens. However, I hope they don't use her orientation as "OMG LOOK GAY WOMEN!!!!" Hopefully it'll be done tactfully.

But if Frank Miller writes we know that "OMG LESBIANS" is what we'll get. :p

12. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

Frank Miller is out of his tree. That is all.

13. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    The last issue of All Star made me want to cry.

14. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    A few French Fries short of a Happy Meal (going by All Star Batman anyway)! :p

15. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Right now, my hope is that All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder is the biggest, most expensive practical joke that anyone has ever played. Either that, or Frank Miller has been taking injections of Uwe Boll mainline.

16. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I guess I'm the only one who enjoys All start Batman & Robin :p

Anyway
    click

"Mother of Champions, who can give birth to a litter of 25 super-soldiers about every three days."

best.superhero.ever

17. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    Spoilers for the last issue of All Star

How can you excuse Batman shoving Alfred into a wall? It's Alfred for crying out loud. Alfred!

I should really stop buying it but, like a train wreck, you just can't look away.

18. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Good Lord you can tell Morrison came up with these characters. [face_laugh]

19. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

Week 4 is here, and I'd say that it's probably the weakest week to date, though not too bad. Booster is more open about his greed than ever and gets flamed for it, Cassandra and Ralph spend some quality time together talking about dead people, Steel does a Two-Face impression, and the Question is raising more questions.

This week doesn't really have a highlight like Teth-Adam tearing a man apart in front of the media last week. There are certainly important moments, one or two of which will probably be seen again at some point in flash-backs, but there's nothing that really sticks in the mind and makes me smile.

The developments with Steel kind of surprised me. I didn't see that coming at all, and didn't see any sort of lead-up into it. That was slightly annoying. The Renee/The Question plotline is moving slowly, seeming content to show just a little more each week, which is fine. The Ralph plotline ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, and I'm curious as to where it's going - and what part Cassie will play in it in the end. And Booster, who I didn't like to begin with, is more annoying than ever.

The back story failed to impress - maybe I'm just to familiar with the history, but I can't help but feel that there has to be a more interesting way to show the history of the DCU.

20. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    The stuff with Ralph and Cassie was interesting, the rest...meh. More Booster being Booster, which is kinda wearing on me at this point. I agree, this is the weakest issue to date.

21. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    ...how'd you get them today? Here in NC, they pushed release dates til tomorrow cuz of Memorial Day...

22. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Damn Canadians.

23. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I didn't even think about memorial day. I couldn't make it to the shop today so I guess that was a good thing. I should probably call to make sure they'll get them tommorow. You all don't care about that though :p

Its funny that we were talking about the shot in #3 going by unoticed by the press and how it could be a sign of greater exceptance. I guess it just needed to be a bigger character 'cause they are all over this Batwoman as a lesbian thing.

24. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Wrong again! I just have a knack for getting them on Wednesdays even on a holiday week. [face_dancing]

25. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Having read spoilers it does indeeed seem like a weak issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.