main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index The Disability Index *new fics, new indexer, new challenge!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by The_Disability_Index, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Disability_Index

The_Disability_Index Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2009
    All our characters are as different and as varied as people in real life. And just like the people in real life some of them have disabilities, either physical or mental. This thread is an index for fics who feature such characters. These characters can be canon, AU, or OC. They can even be from non-Star Wars universes now that there's the NSWFF board.

There will be discussions and challenges to keep the thread going, suggestions for these will be greatly appreciated. If you'd like to volunteer to help out with the index, feel free to do so.

Sock users:
    moosemousse
    Idrelle_Miocovani

2. The_Disability_Index

Sep 16, 2009
  3. The_Disability_Index

Sep 16, 2009
    During The Saga:

Title: DNA I.D. a CorSec mystery
    Author: Earlybird-obi-wan
    Timeframe: 60 BBY - 41 ABY
    Characters: Yoda, Obi-Wan, Vader, the Horns, the Falcon, OC?s
    Genre: multy post HC adventure
    Keywords: DNA, identities, freighter
    Summary: a story of a Corellian freighter and its service for the Jedi. About healers and their involvement with cover ups after the great Jedi purge.
    Disclaimer: Star Wars is owned by G.L.
    Note: inspired by a personal experience saving a 4 year old 12 years ago and reading about DNA.

Title: The End of Things to Come
    Author(s): moosemousse
    Timeframe: Shortly before Episode IV
    Characters: Laver Borscht (OC)
    Genre: angst, drama
    Summary: Laver Borscht makes a bad decision that ends up ruining his life.

The Strongest One by Idrelle_Miocovani, entry for the Free Challenge
    The Gift of Today by VaderLVR64, entry for the Free Challenge

4. The_Disability_Index

Sep 16, 2009
    Beyond The Saga:

Title: X-Wing: Rise of a Rogue part I
    Timeframe: Two years after Starfighters of Adumar, 15 ABY
    Disabled character: Original character Darvix Zorvan, a rookie New Republic starfighter pilot who lost his eyesight as a teenager and was forced to live with inferior cybernetic optical implants.
    Genre:Novella, pilotfic
    Other Characters: Rogues, Wraiths, Original Character
    Summary: The Imperial Remnant begins to wreak havoc on the New Republic behind the Phantom Fighter program. Rogue Squadron is assigned the task of ending Captain Reyov Naolin's ambitions of taking back Coruscant in the name of the late Emperor Palpatine. Among their new pilots is a young greenhorn by the name of Darvix "Dap" Zorvan, a wide-eyed rookie trying to make a name for himself amongst the cut-throat world of New Republic fighter aces.

Title: X-Wing: Rise of a Rogue part II
    Timeframe: One year after the events of Rise of a Rogue part I, 16 ABY
    Disabled character: Original character Darvix Zorvan, a rookie New Republic starfighter pilot who lost his eyesight as a teenager and was forced to live with inferior cybernetic optical implants.
    Genre: Novella, pilotfic
    Characters: Rogues, Wraiths, Original Character
    Summary: The Rogues have succeeded in commandeering one of Imperial Remnant Captain Reyov Naolin's Phantom Starfighters. Now they must travel to Darvix's homeworld of Nar Shaddaa to seek out a refugee Sienar Fleet Systems scientist responsible for the Remnant's deadly toy. Darvix must confront his responsibilities as a Rogue and the discovery of his Jedi heritage.

Title: X-Wing: Rise of a Rogue part III
    Timeframe: One year after the events of Rise of a Rogue part II, 17 ABY
    Genre: Novella, pilotfic
    Characters: Rogues, Wraiths, Original Character, Lara Notsil, Baron Fel
    Summary: The time to put an end to the Phantom Fighter program has come. Wedge Antilles enlists the aid of Wraith Squadron to infiltrate Captain Naolin's fleet and take down the Phantom Project. All the while, Darvix grapples with the Force, the allure of the Dark Side playing heavily on his emotions.

Title: Shhh, No Talking
    Author(s): moosemousse
    Timeframe: 30 years before the Legacy comics
    Characters: bounty hunter OCs
    Genre: Humour, mush, action
    Keywords: bounty hunters, mush, action
    Summary: Two bounty hunters find themselves in a tight spot, but can they get out of it one piece?

Someone to Hold On To by Idrelle_Miocovani, entry for the Free Challenge
    Blessed by FelsGoddess, entry for the Free Challenge
    A Place in the Universe by oldjedinurse, entry for the Free Challenge
    False Hope is Better than No Hope by PadmeLeiaJaina, entry for the Free Challenge
    Sight by Vongchild, entry for the Free Challenge
    At the Patents Office by Vongchild, entry for the Free Challenge
    Little Sister by Chewie-Fa

5. The_Disability_Index

Sep 16, 2009
    Non-Star Wars:

6. The_Disability_Index

Sep 16, 2009
  7. The_Disability_Index

Sep 16, 2009
    First Discussion:

Every new thread has to start somewhere, so let's start with the basics. We all get our inspiration from somewhere and for disabled characters there has to be somewhere for that inspiration to come from. So where does yours come from? Are you a disabled writer or do you know someone who is disabled? Do the disabilities hinder your characters or do they make them stronger because of them? This is more of a free-for-all discussion to get things going, so don't worry about 'being on topic'.

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm not sure where I get my inspiration from. It's not all personal experience, but it could be an analogy for it. Take Edward Scissorhands as an example. It could be said that his hands are a visual representation of his social awkwardness. I'm not deaf but sometimes everything just turns to noise and I can't hear anything.

So far, I have three disabled characters. One is deaf, one is missing a leg, and the other was crippled from birth. The deaf character and her partner make up for her lack of hearing, and she functions very well. If anything she's benefited from it. She's a bounty hunter and without hearing she's not distracted by noises. The character without the lower leg is pretty much normal, maybe a slight limp. The young crippled girl, well, I've not written much about her yet, so I don't really know.

As for me, I have a learning disability. I have Asperger's Syndrome, a disorder on the autistic spectrum. It makes things hard for me sometimes, like social interaction and so on. It can be a struggle but I am very good at things that others might not be.

This probably isn't very coherent. Sometimes I don't know how to express myself so I just say stuff and hope that it makes sense.

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    My inspiration for one of my OC's who has a disability based on not being able to smell or taste that much has come from an personal experience.
    The other OC has to wear braces to walk after an accident and that character is based on a colleague.
    Both are in my story DNA I.D.

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Moose, more power to you. My ex had Aspberger's and I know how hard it can be to interact with people. :)

I have two current characters with physical disabilities. One is a Jedi Master who has neurological damage due to a hemorrhagic stroke suffered in the Battle of Geonosis. She has partial paralysis and vision loss on one side and is restricted from field work during the Clone Wars, which is a mixed blessing. She's frustrated by not being able to be on the front lines, but it keeps her Padawan from seeing war at an early age.

My other is a seven-year-old deaf daughter of an Imperial officer. I made the daughter deaf because I thought it would be an interesting challenge to write into the story. She attends a school on Corellia for military brats with physical disabilities, so I think that it doesn't affect her as much.

I like writing disabilities to see how they can help or hinder a character.

11. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Which Jedi is it that has trouble with telekensis? (butchered the spelling but you know what I mean)

I can't remember... I want to say it's Horn, but can't back that theory up.

But, that would be a bit of a Jedi disability... Right?

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ish: yeah, it can be a problem sometimes.
    I think I read something about the deaf girl, though I can't quite remember.

Hyperspace_police: possibly, though it might be more of a thing that he's just not good at.

Notice:
    If anyone wants to PM the sock with fics for the index, I'll be checking the sock after the weekend and updating the index then.

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Moose, kudos to you. =D= My cousin has Asperger's; by knowing him very well, I know how difficult it can be at times.

I don't have any ongoing characters that have disabilities (I've done a few vignettes; I had one character who was blind). I haven't had any major plot bunnies revolving around characters with disabilities, so that's probably why they haven't appeared in much of my fanfic (as of yet). I still find it a bit weird that my Muse hasn't jumped on the idea yet, because I have a lot of experience working with children, youth and adults who have disabilities. While I was in highschool, I worked in a daycare for children with special needs (we had a lot of kids with Autism and Down syndrome) and I was (an unofficial) homecare worker for a very lovely 18-year-old girl with severe spina bifida. This past summer I was working at a camp for kids and teenagers with physical disabilities.

I think that characters that have disabilities have a great potential -- they have a different way of viewing the world, and they have the potential to grow and change in ways that a character without a disability wouldn't be able to.

For example... I wonder how "accessible" the GFFA is to people with physical disabilities. It's not something I've ever really seen in fanfic -- possibly because the GFFA is so advanced, we take their medical capabilities for granted and assume that most things can be cured in some shape or form. I've only just started thinking about accessibility in the GFFA because I'm back at school now and walking around campus, I've noticed something quite appalling. I'm thinking of starting a petition of some kind at my university, because after working a full summer with people who have physical disabilities, I've come to realize just HOW difficult it can be for them to get around. My campus is awful for being accessible. They use steps as decoration in certain places and our two largest lecture halls have no ramps... no easy access for wheelchairs. Some of the townhouse-style residences would not be able to house people who need wheelchairs because, again, they have steps leading up to the doors. It's not fair that those who have wheelchairs don't get the same choices as those of us who are able-bodied.

Moose, if you're interested, I did a Disabilities Challenge a few years back. Here's a link to the challenge index. :)

14. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I believe that is Corran Horn.

EDIT: I fixed the link. Corran isn't a large mobile gas grill, though some people thought he was full of hot air sometimes. :p

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Corran Horn, even. What about Jedi who have issues with telepathy?

16. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Or even Jedi who's midi-chlorian count is borderline, thus may have difficulty at times using some of the powers... or a Jedi whose awareness has been severed from the force.

Whether a character is a Jedi or not, it is how they view the disability that would allow them to overcome it or not. Sitting around feeling sorry for oneself is definitely counter productive, even for people who don't have those obstacles (yeah, fully healthy people make excuses for why they haven't succeeded in the past and it hinders them from succeeding in the future).

17. Aspiration

Aspiration Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2008
    Cool. I have Asperger's Syndrome as well. It's actually one of the reasons I started writing; the characters make more sense than real people!

What about Ona Shai? It always seemed like she had ADHD.

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Aspiration: ain't that the truth! :p

I'll be doing the index in the next few days. Sorry I didn't do it earlier but my internets having been working at all. Now that I'm back online I'm kinda busy. If it's not one thing, it's another. [face_tired]

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I have a son in a wheelchair and my favorite OC is in a hoverchair. :p So I guess it's pretty easy to see from whence inspiration came. ;)

20. The_Disability_Index

Sep 16, 2009
    NOTICE:

Just a quick bump to let you know that there are now fics in the index! If you keep writing them I'll keep adding them. I'm also looking into a challenge to come soon. Ideas for that would be good. Either PM me or moosemousse with those.

21. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I have an idea for a Jedi character who develops a severe allergy to midichlorians. I'm not sure if that would be considered a disability though.

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    As a rule of thumb, I'd go with no on allergies. However, it is possible for allergies to be so severe that they are debilitating. My advice would be to write it and see what you think.

Also, an allergy to midichlorians? Wouldn't he be allergic to himself and everything else?

23. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I got this idea when a friend of mine told me the doctors discovered she was allergic to a bacteria everyone's body produces and needs in the intestines. She has to just live with the effects, 'cause there is no way to fight it (this same friend is allergic to just about everything).

The allergy causes her to go into a coma whenever she's near a force-nexus (meaning she cannot go to the Temple on Coruscant). Whenever she actively uses the force, she gets really bad headaches and breaks out in a rash all over her body with prolonged activity.

A quick note, this allergy did not develop until she was a knight, and no one is sure what triggered the onset.

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I say go for it, then! I'd be interested in reading it too. :)

25. The_Disability_Index

Sep 16, 2009
    Announcement!

New Indexer!

Idrelle_Miocovani has kindly offered her help in keeping the index up to date.

New Fics!

I have added the fics from the previous index, which means we now have fics for 'Before'! Hooray!

Challenge!

The Challenge

Write a story that revolves around a child (between the ages of five and fifteen) who is blind and deaf from birth.
    • You must have a way to communicate with this child that doesn't involve the Force

The following people must appear and have a major part in the story:
    • Before the Saga: a young Siri Tachi and/or a young Obi-Wan Kenobi
    • The Saga: EITHER Anakin Skywalker and/or Shmi Skywalker OR Han Solo
    • Beyond the Saga: Kyp Durron OR Tenel Ka

The fic must have angst, but it also must end happily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.