main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The End is Near - (IT IS TIME!!!)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    So it was decided to go with XenForo?

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I meant to add that having pictures or images in signatures is an even more annoying option on other forums, but I doubt that would be done here even if the avatar / icon rules were modified.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That's still under discussion.

4. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    Hey there - I have a teeny question that I don't think I've seen addressed yet, though I could be wrong.

As I understand it now, slash fanfic isn't allowed (even where homosexual pairings are canon) due to the views of the person who provides the server space for TF.N.

Now that we are moving servers, will this policy change, or is the same person basically in charge of it all so same rules?

Just wondering. I'm no rabid yaoi fangirl but it would be nice to see canonical gay couples approved.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's not the person that provides server space: it's the person that owns TF.n. And the forum is moving from an IGN server to a server of his property so, if anything, he's (techically speaking) going to have more control over the JC:

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  7. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I file that under the "least of our worries".

As a constant lurker . . . call me a fan . . . of The End is Nigh, I am happy to see it´s stunning conclusion!

And if it is successful I still hope for The End is Nigh II: Moving back!

8. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    So, is IGN migrating out forums now and the 'move' comes when the forums at this location are shut down?

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yes. Right now IGN are migrating their own forums to Xenforo. If you want to have a look their new boards are here. It will be a bit different with us as they will give us all of our data formatted for Xenforo. It will be up to Philip Wise and his crew to load it to the new server.

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Their current look is hideous.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's not too far off from their old look. However I'd imagine our new look will be pretty bad until we get things up and running. The generic Xenforo look is very bland to me. If you want to see check out their forums.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that if you're not seeing a message titled THE MOVE IS UPON US at the top of the screen in each forum you need to clear your internet temp files (cache). The dropdown has important move information. The main thing is to ensure that you have a current email address in your user profile, otherwise you won't be able to get your password when we move to the new permanent boards.

13. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Apologies if I missed the answer to this. Reading the FAQ, it seems like this is the current plan:

JC Shuts down while IGN tranfers data. 1-3 week estimate.

A temp board will be available. But am I right in assuming this temp board will not have any of the jc's current data and once the new board is ready none of this temp board data will transfer?

So I guess the question is how many forums will the temp board have? For example, I don't see fanfic making much of a home since they have to move again anyway. Also seems silly for slower traffic forums like SFF when they can just post in a temp JCC for the time being. So is there any info on what temp forums will be around?

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Is it April, already?

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002

16. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, that's the plan.

The temp board will not have the current JC data and its data will not be transferred to the new board.

We're working out the exact details for the temp board right now, but it won't have nearly as many forums as we have now. Probably something like 1 per category on the JC side.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just an addendum to my previous post about the Move message at the top of the forums: if you're not seeing it you can try doing a Refresh on the page. Grimby found that doing that worked for him.

18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Stop being nice.

:p

19. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't think IGN's new forums look bad. Xenfolo looks alot like VB 4.1 with all the board info on the right instead of the bottom. I'm sure it'll feel like home soon as the staff works out how to skin it. I was looking through the addons section on the Xenfolo support forum and oh boy the suggestions I have. Don't worry I'll wait a few month and then bug ya about Tapatalk. Congrats, I'm looking forward to the move. BTW I saw those alerts about clearing cache and cookies. So your aware. Watch your Adblock and NoScripted addons. I couldn't see the alert at the top on my personal machine.

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I really hope that our new boards don't look anything like that.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

21. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    That's great and all, but I don't know if it's the case for others but I'm getting that at every single page. I can't get rid of it and so it means that I have to go down a whole screen before I can even look at anything on the boards.

Edit: This is on Firefox, and on the main forum page the background image is underneath it so it can't be read and looks wretched.

22. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Edit: What happens when you do a Ctrl+Shift+R?

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Dingo - I've got an older version of Firefox and I only saw the full-page message once. Now I get the single-line header at the top of the page. I only get the full message if I do the 'click here'.

Tunick - they may look like that on day 1 but Grimby and I have already had a play with styling on one of their demo boards. So things won't be that bland for long!

24. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaaaargh! I've seen that message 'make sure you have a private e-mail address for when the boards change and we send you your new password or you won't be able to log into your account' for years now. And I was SUUUUUUURRRREEEEE that I DID fill in my e-mail address when this whole moving-the-boards thing turned up back in 2010. But when I checked 'just in case' ...... it wasn't there! So, I put in an e-mail address there .... again.

Could that e-mail address have been deleted between now and then? Like I said, I was sure I put it there.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Maybe you put it in but forgot to save the change?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.