main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The End of All Light (Post-NJO AU: Anakin Solo, Jacen, Jaina, L/M, H/L, many more) Updated 11/29/14!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Diamond_Revelation

Diamond_Revelation Jedi Master star 3

Feb 25, 2003
    Well that was interesting - I guess you will be waiting till right at the end to reveal who Malig really is but I look forward to finding out!!! I love the way you have portrayed Jacen's mental struggle. Even now though he is completely lost to the dark side he seems to dislike what he is doing!

Great Chapter Yoda.

2. L0B0

L0B0 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2008
    Enthralling as always :cool:

Actually, the recap of back story was a nice touch at this point.

Whatever consequences occur after this incursion on Zenoma, I'm sure there will be a good explanation in due course as to its necessity.

I do have one question about Malig though: Is he an original character you created, or is he an AU version of a canon character?

3. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    Jacen, you need to get your morals straight. *Shoots him with a stun blaster* There, all better!:p

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Still looking good, YK.

BTW, I don't know whether you've read The Unknown Regions yet, but if you have, you should soooooooo include the Mnggal-Mnggal in this story :p

5. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    So..... when exactly is the mystery of Malig going to be solved?

6. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Magnuskn: He's a Sith now. It's what they do. As soon as the Bothans are free of their Ar'krai oath, they might backstab him. And they are Bothans.

Excellent point [face_thinking]

That's happening anyway, since Del Rey got an easy way out now on how to continue the story. Personally, I've given up on the period, since they managed to kriff up about everything with their long time-jumps and by killing off everybody from the younger generation but Jaina and Ben.

I can't say my interest in it is anywhere near what it was a few years ago.

Legacy is the future ( literally and figuratively ) for me and that is why I am quite anxious to know what will happen now with it.

I hope the wait isn't long, especially with all the teasing that's been going on.

Diamond: Well that was interesting - I guess you will be waiting till right at the end to reveal who Malig really is but I look forward to finding out!!!

Yeah, it happens at the climax of the story, so during the end battle. It's a long wait, but it really wouldn't even make much sense if I told you without the stuff leading up to it :p

I love the way you have portrayed Jacen's mental struggle. Even now though he is completely lost to the dark side he seems to dislike what he is doing!

I think that's true. He's not conflicted in the way that he was in the last story, more accepting that these things have to be done.

Great Chapter Yoda.

Thank you and thanks for reading and replying :D

L0B0: Enthralling as always

Thank you :)

I see them as a necessary evil :p With only a chapter being posted a week, and stories spread out over years, I don't think anyone could remember all the details without some reminders. I try to weave them in as naturally as possible, but sometimes they end up being 2,000 word info dumps that aren't great for the flow. It's certainly not the way I would do it if I was writing a novel.

Whatever consequences occur after this incursion on Zenoma, I'm sure there will be a good explanation in due course as to its necessity.

Yeah, that won't be too long. We know Malig wants Sekot to fuel the Reckoner, but the reasoning for bringing in the Bothans will probably be clear in the next chapter.

I do have one question about Malig though: Is he an original character you created, or is he an AU version of a canon character?

This is a terrific question but not one I really want to answer at this point [face_thinking]

Thanks for reading and replying :D

PirateofRohan: Jacen, you need to get your morals straight. *Shoots him with a stun blaster* There, all better!

I think some would have told you to switch blaster settings :p

Spike: Still looking good, YK.

Thanks, I've been working out *flexes* :cool:

... Oh, you meant the story. Well, thanks for that too :D

BTW, I don't know whether you've read The Unknown Regions yet, but if you have, you should soooooooo include the Mnggal-Mnggal in this story

I haven't, but I've read some of the discussions on it. It sounds pretty creepy :p

Thanks for reading and replying :)

TSF: So..... when exactly is the mystery of Malig going to be solved?

Not until the end of the story, I'm afraid, during the end battle :( But I don't think his identity would mean much with all the background info leading up to it, if that's any consolation :p

Thanks for reading and replying :D

Friday's post will finish up the Zonama Sekot/Ar'krai storyline. Expect some surprises [face_mischief]

7. Darth_Mediocre

Darth_Mediocre Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2008
    And with a bang and a flash, the Dark Lord of Late Appearances strikes once more. The Malig flashback was... I was going to say illuminating, but actually it mostly just clouded already murky waters, so prehaps darkening would a better expression. I'm going to go with the theories that suggest the devil child is Malig. Makes our ever anonymous sith lord's identity even more of a puzzle though; I think (and do correct me if I'm wrong) the planet is an original creation, so how does everyone know his face? Like the subtle hints you've given us that this is some sort of twisted, dark version of Anakin's "virgin" birth, should make for some interesting duality. As ever your descriptions of all things evil have just the right edge and menace, and Korriban and Apollyon have been a particular highlight of this series for me. Palpatine's final destruction (again:p ) was well done, though I suspect we'll see him again at some point even if it's just whooping Malig's sithly posterior in a flashback.

Yuck, Vong and Bothans reunion dinner was always going to be a very messy business. I see in terms of Jacen justifying his darkside actions you've gone down a similar "it's all a sacrifice" route to LOTF, though I feel Sekot is a far better victim, than Cadeus' cheap kop out. Although Jacen is definitely dark now, I do feel that there's enough empathy, and crucially regret (examples of which can be seen in this chapter) that he might still be redeemable. Not to excuse him standing by and allowing the desolation of a sentient world, but he at least seems to feel that what he and Malig are doing is deeply saddening, although necessary and justifiable. Of course that may very well change depending on what happens over the course of the fic, and by the end I might be egging you on to go all Sword of the Jedi on his ass.

Question I've been pondering for a while now. What role does Vergere play in all of this? Do you think that she would approve of Jacen's choices thus far? Were her appearances in this series real or more trickery from Malig. Will our feathered friend be showing up to give out advice like it's the holy truth again? And if an orange is called an orange, why is a banana not called a yellow? Good stuff so far Yobi, looking forward to friday.

8. Goddess_At_Heart

Goddess_At_Heart Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2010
    I'm a bit late replying and I hope you don't mind. [face_blush]

SO much darkness! I love it! [face_mischief]

Malig...HMMM? He brings on a whole new level of 'Mysterious Master' if you ask me.

Very good, can't wait to read more....! :D

9. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Del Reys insistence in killing off and marginalizing the Bantam second generation characters is almost enough to swing me back my that "they are kriffing the up the EU on purpose" argument, which got me banned for a few days some years ago. :p

10. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    Now where would be the fun in that![face_mischief]

Why am I suddenly scared?[face_worried]

11. L0B0

L0B0 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2008
    L0B0: Enthralling as always

Thank you happy

I see them as a necessary evil tongue With only a chapter being posted a week, and stories spread out over years, I don't think anyone could remember all the details without some reminders. I try to weave them in as naturally as possible, but sometimes they end up being 2,000 word info dumps that aren't great for the flow. It's certainly not the way I would do it if I was writing a novel.

Yeah, that won't be too long. We know Malig wants Sekot to fuel the Reckoner, but the reasoning for bringing in the Bothans will probably be clear in the next chapter.

This is a terrific question but not one I really want to answer at this point thinking

Thanks for reading and replying grin

Ouch...totally denied! [face_beatup] [face_laugh]

Which I totally understand, but yet I find myself asking the same question every time I attempt to unravel the mystery of Malig's original identity.

The reason I ask: The one 'fact' that really throws me off is how two beings from different sides of the galaxy and with nothing in common (Faybol and Jacen) could possibly recognize him and assign so much significance to the face beneath the mask. I cannot think of a single canon character, even modified, that could have been an apprentice of Plaguies around the same time as Sidious and still fit all of the other clues in the story.

I don't mean to derail the story thread with this, but at some point in the future I would be fascinated to hear about how you came up with the idea for this character and backstory.

12. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Wizardy Devil:

Sounds dangerous

It does indeed - I am very careful all the time ;)

Just kidding :p The real reason was that Ben and Jonah would clutter the cover.

That might be true actually LOL

No idea. If I ever travel back in time to 2005 though, I'll be sure to ask myself [face_thinking]

I?ll send Doc Who your way with his Tardis ... he might help you out 8-}

I really am :p

Glad you know :p

New post on Friday. The structure at the beginning of this story is going to be a little different than the previous ones. The next two chapters will focus on the Sekot stuff because these events take place about a month after "The Lands of the Dead"? the rest of the story, with the exception of the Malig flashbacks, takes place 3 months after that. The reason for the time jump will become clear later. So after chapter 3, we'll begin jumping around the galaxy to see other characters like the rest of my stories.

Glad that you not keep the tension up about Sekot and what is going on there :p
    Great to read that you finally show some of Malig?s past ;)

Chapter 2: The View From the Darkness

Sekot seems so young ... even thought the planet is old.
    Jacen compare to it appears to be old, trapped in a young body [face_thinking]

Isn?t it funny how POVs work? I am sure if you have Anakin telling the tale it would be different and if you get Tenel into the mix, it will be different again.
    So you get three ways ... of the same stories, each with the personal thoughts imprinted.

"You're keeping secrets from me."

"Always."

LOL that is so true
    And also fits to the author ;) :D

Awesome update, YK :D =D=

13. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Darth_Mediocre: And with a bang and a flash, the Dark Lord of Late Appearances strikes once more.

Good to see you :D

The Malig flashback was... I was going to say illuminating, but actually it mostly just clouded already murky waters, so prehaps darkening would a better expression.

Yeah, those are the kind of reveals I like?the ones that make things even more confusing :p

I'm going to go with the theories that suggest the devil child is Malig.

I think it's a safe bet at this point.

Makes our ever anonymous sith lord's identity even more of a puzzle though; I think (and do correct me if I'm wrong) the planet is an original creation, so how does everyone know his face?

Yes, that is the question [face_thinking]

Like the subtle hints you've given us that this is some sort of twisted, dark version of Anakin's "virgin" birth, should make for some interesting duality.

Yeah, we'll be getting a lot more on this and how it was possible in the future.

As ever your descriptions of all things evil have just the right edge and menace, and Korriban and Apollyon have been a particular highlight of this series for me.

Thanks! Glad it was creepy enough [face_mischief]

Palpatine's final destruction (again ) was well done, though I suspect we'll see him again at some point even if it's just whooping Malig's sithly posterior in a flashback.

Your suspicions are correct. We will see the original showdown between the two when Palpatine was more than a sad Sith spirit.

Yuck, Vong and Bothans reunion dinner was always going to be a very messy business. I see in terms of Jacen justifying his darkside actions you've gone down a similar "it's all a sacrifice" route to LOTF, though I feel Sekot is a far better victim, than Cadeus' cheap kop out.

It's not quite the same sort of "sacrificing", but I see what you mean.

Although Jacen is definitely dark now, I do feel that there's enough empathy, and crucially regret (examples of which can be seen in this chapter) that he might still be redeemable.

He's at least saddened by his lack of empathy, which might mean something.

Not to excuse him standing by and allowing the desolation of a sentient world, but he at least seems to feel that what he and Malig are doing is deeply saddening, although necessary and justifiable. Of course that may very well change depending on what happens over the course of the fic, and by the end I might be egging you on to go all Sword of the Jedi on his ass.

Could be. There are going to be some horrible, horrible things ahead :(

Question I've been pondering for a while now. What role does Vergere play in all of this? Do you think that she would approve of Jacen's choices thus far? Were her appearances in this series real or more trickery from Malig. Will our feathered friend be showing up to give out advice like it's the holy truth again?

I imagine she will and you'll get some sort of answer to all of these questions, though there may still be some ambiguity about what's real and what isn't.

And if an orange is called an orange, why is a banana not called a yellow?

I ask myself this on a daily basis.

Good stuff so far Yobi, looking forward to friday.

Thanks and thanks for reading and replying :D

Goddess_At_Heart: I'm a bit late replying and I hope you don't mind.

Of course not, and you're not late at all [face_peace] There's never any rush on replies.

SO much darkness! I love it!

Glad to hear it [face_devil]

Malig...HMMM? He brings on a whole new level of 'Mysterious Master' if you ask me.

We'll be tearing into that mystery piece by piece as we go and have him all figured out by the end.

Very good, can't wait to read more....!

Thanks and thanks for reading and replying :D There should be more tomorrow!

Magnuskn: Del Reys insistence in killing off and marginalizing the Bantam second generation characters is almo

14. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    Went bacl and actually read the reactions that Jacen and Callista. Jacen "can't help but smile". Makes me think he has realzied a great irony, something that lifts him from a dark mood. Callista realzies she "has a purpose in life now". Interesting.

15. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    I wonder what swung the whole thing around. I guess we'll never know.

Just finished the first FotJ novel yesterday, since they finally come out in paperback. Meh. Meeeeh. :-B The part on Kessel seemed wholly superfluous, the parts with Jaina, Jag and Tahiri were nice. Luke and Ben were just kinda "there". I hope this picks up in the following novels. Yeah, yeah, I already heard of Vestara, the Lost Tribe of the Sith and Abeloth, so spoil away. :p

But at least it wasn't completely offensive to the eyes.

16. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I'm stunned at how many comments I had to go through to actually find the rest of the story. [face_laugh]

Darth Malig -- awesome. [face_mischief] I love bad guys to begin with. Malig seems extraordinarily interesting. I even like Jacen so far.

Great stuff you have here. Looking forward to reading more. :)

=D=

17. Darth_Mediocre

Darth_Mediocre Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2008
    I actually quite like it this way. There's no mystery in the world anymore. Everyone seems to want every little loose-end tied up in a neat bow. Not everything gets answered in life, so why should fiction be any different. The Soprano's David Chase said something similar I think "This is what Hollywood has done to America. Do you have to have closure on every little thing? Isn't there any mystery in the world? It's a murky world out there." Plus I think it suits Vergere's character that we get shades of grey rather than black or white (or indeed, light and dark). Partly why I think profic made the wrong call in 'outing' her as a Sith, or Sith wannabe at any rate. I've always thought that Vergere, like Kreia is one of those characters who defies simplistic judgement; far better to let the reader make up their own mind. The act of reading is meant to be an enriching, stimulating experience. After all, if every author led people by the nose, we wouldn't have literature, we'd have a giant version of Sesame Street. Look forward to seeing how you play that card anyway.

18. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    corran: Went bacl and actually read the reactions that Jacen and Callista. Jacen "can't help but smile". Makes me think he has realzied a great irony, something that lifts him from a dark mood.

Could be. The irony thing sounds about right...

Callista realzies she "has a purpose in life now". Interesting.

Yeah, weird [face_thinking] Of course, we know what Callista wanted from Malig and it seems to be tied to his identity for some reason.

Magnuskn: I wonder what swung the whole thing around. I guess we'll never know.

Either just bad decision making or it became apparent to them that books with the Big 3 generated more interest than the Solo kids. May be true in the short term, but as far as the long term success of the franchise, I would think it obvious you need new blood to push the story forward as long as you want to keep moving forward in time. Luke, Han, and Leia are now ridiculously old :p

Just finished the first FotJ novel yesterday, since they finally come out in paperback. Meh. Meeeeh.

My general reaction as well.

The part on Kessel seemed wholly superfluous, the parts with Jaina, Jag and Tahiri were nice. Luke and Ben were just kinda "there".

Other than some nice father/son moments, the entire Luke & Ben storyline in Outcast seemed almost as pointless as the Kessel stuff. The action scenes on Coruscant were cool and I found the whole crazy Jedi thing interesting, though a little silly.

I hope this picks up in the following novels. Yeah, yeah, I already heard of Vestara, the Lost Tribe of the Sith and Abeloth, so spoil away.

I'll just say I thought Omen was terrible, Abyss was very good, and so was Backlash. Can't comment on Allies yet.

But at least it wasn't completely offensive to the eyes.

Yeah, it's not terrible, but not up to Allston standards, IMHO.

Ceillean: I'm stunned at how many comments I had to go through to actually find the rest of the story.

There's a post on each page so far, at least :p

Darth Malig -- awesome. I love bad guys to begin with. Malig seems extraordinarily interesting. I even like Jacen so far.

Glad you're liking him :) He's sort of going to be the main focus for the story if I had to pick one. His relationship with Jacen is obviously at the forefront.

Great stuff you have here. Looking forward to reading more.

Thanks so much and thanks for reading and replying :D There will be more up today

Mediocre: I actually quite like it this way. There's no mystery in the world anymore. Everyone seems to want every little loose-end tied up in a neat bow. Not everything gets answered in life, so why should fiction be any different. The Soprano's David Chase said something similar I think "This is what Hollywood has done to America. Do you have to have closure on every little thing? Isn't there any mystery in the world? It's a murky world out there." Plus I think it suits Vergere's character that we get shades of grey rather than black or white (or indeed, light and dark). Partly why I think profic made the wrong call in 'outing' her as a Sith, or Sith wannabe at any rate. I've always thought that Vergere, like Kreia is one of those characters who defies simplistic judgement; far better to let the reader make up their own mind. The act of reading is meant to be an enriching, stimulating experience. After all, if every author led people by the nose, we wouldn't have literature, we'd have a giant version of Sesame Street. Look forward to seeing how you play that card anyway.

I agree to a certain extent, though I think in every story there are questions that must be answered. Its sometimes easy to substitute ambiguity for the having to do the hard business of making definitive choices with a story, and I think a reader knows when something essential went unfulfilled. For instance, if I never answered the question of "who is Darth Malig?" in this series, I suspect people who took

19. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Chapter 3: Ar'krai

A storm of red blaster bolts cascaded across the clearing, filling the night with a haze of smoke, animal screams of anguish, and the acrid stench of ozone and scorched flesh. Most of the Yuuzhan Vong were caught unprepared by the Bothan assault and were cut down before any coordinated defense could possibly be mounted in the village. Their bodies collapsed in smoking heaps upon the rippling grasses that had served as their village plaza, a place of assemblage where the Vong tasted the first sips of democracy after suffering millennia of theocratic rule in a severe caste system— where most of them had begun to grasp concepts like "hope" and "freedom."

Now they stared vacant-eyed into the wafting curls of blast fog, their faces frozen in horrible expressions of agony, and their boiled blood staining those sacred grasses.

It was a massacre.

And no one was coming to stop it.

Danni Quee rushed towards the many-rayed star-shaped compound the Yuuzhan Vong shapers called a "damutek" and dove behind one of its long edges to escape the energy bolts streaking by her in all directions. Chips of coral spat in hot showers near her face that made her blonde hair flutter in her eyes as the bolts chewed through the barrier she was huddled behind and the scientist fumbled for the small, silver-finished holdout blaster she kept on her hip. She managed to free the weapon with too much effort, then risked sticking her hand up over the edge of the damutek's base and blindly firing a pair of bright salvos back at her attackers.

She was certain she didn't hit anything.

A few meters in front of her a towering former warrior was struck in the face by a scalding red beam of energy, leaving a pit where the Yuuzhan Vong's mouth had been that bled a thick ribbon of billowing smoke. Before he'd even fallen back into the grass dead, the ground beneath Danni quaked when a thermal detonator was cast amidst a group of Vong making a stand in the plaza that hurled their ruptured bodies back like carelessly flung dolls of indifferent children, while simply tearing others asunder in a scorching white flash.

Again, the blonde woman reached over the edge of her hiding place and peppered the black horde of Bothan troopers with half-blind cover fire. This time she thought she saw at least one of the bolts bounce off the chest plate of one of the assassins.

A noise to her left sent Danni whirling around in time to see Nen Yim and Uhla racing around the other side of the damutek, chased by a pair of Bothans in Alliance armor. The Master Shaper's lithe body leapt and twisted in the air with surprising grace to dodge the flurry of blaster bolts streaming from the weapons of her pursuers, and as she turned, Nen Yim extended her shaper's hand. The appendage was an implanted creature covered in a flexible carapace, whose fingers were decorated by spurs, pincers, retractable claws, and a maze of sensor knobs that danced throughout the shaper's swirling tattoos.

From Nen Yim's implanted hand shot a whip-like tendril that stretched in a stinger and stabbed into the throat of one of the Bothans. The assassin dropped his weapon and clutched at the gushing wound as he fell to his knees and gurgled his last, incomprehensible words. In a flash, Nen Yim pulled the stinger loose and sent it in a sharp arc that slashed across the throat of the other Bothan, hurling him aside in a spraying fan of gore.

"Nen Yim!" Danni called to her colleague. There was a wild look in the shaper's green eyes as she turned toward the sound of her voice that reminded Danni for one bone-chilling moment of the mercilessness and disdain she saw in the stares of her captors when she had been a prisoner of the Yuuzhan Vong at the start of that conflict. Danni shivered at the reminder and the look vanished in the next moment as Nen Yim and Uhla sprinted to where the scientist was huddled and took refuge there beside her. "Where is Tolok Saa?"

"I am unsure," Uhla replied, her brow creased with confusion. "We lost sight of him in the skirmish."

"They are going to exterminate us all," Nen Yim hissed between pants as she tried to catch her breath.

"I know," Danni replied sadly. "But Sekot has to step in and stop this soon, doesn't it?"

The tentacles of Nen Yim's writhing headdress twitched and twined with agitation. "Perhaps Sekot is unable to," she suggested, "or maybe, it has decided again that Yuuzhan Vong are not worthy of life here."

Danni frowned at this, remembering Jacen Solo's discovery that Zonama Sekot was in fact the Yuuzhan Vong homeworld Yuuzhan'tar and that the planet had stripped the aliens of the Force in self-defense and become infertile as a way of ridding itself of the cruel beings before the world was even self-aware. The thought that Sekot may have been attempting another banishment in a more calculated way seemed unlikely to Danni, but it was enough to make her shudder. If it was true, there was no hope for any of them getting off of the planet alive.

"We've got to get out of here," she said, rather than offering the shapers false assurances.

"And go where?" Uhla questioned.

"The Tampasi, I suppose. Our only chance of escape is the fact we know the terrain of Zonama Sekot's jungles better than the Bothans."

Nen Yim looked thoughtful for a moment, scowling at the ground until her gaze again found Danni's. "Then let us not tarry here any longer. We—"

Whatever the Master Shaper was about to say died on her tongue when the sound of grass rustling nearby stirred above the crackle of blasters and thundering detonations in the field beyond the damutek. Danni spun around to find a Bothan soldier in full Alliance commando armor peering around the edge of the structure's limb where she and the shapers were tucked. The Bothan's golden eyes widened in surprise behind the tinted visor of his helmet, but he was not so shocked as to keep from raising his blaster rifle and swinging its barrel in their direction.

A yelp escaped Danni's lips as she threw herself away from the damutek's outer wall where she'd been pressed and landed on her back. As she fell, she raised her holdout blaster and squeezed the trigger three times. The first two volleys cracked the Bothan's chest plating and forced him to stumble back—the third exploded through his chest in an orange burst of light and blaze that engulfed his heart.

Danni was still gaping at him as the dead being fell back, her hair again landing across her green eyes that stared in a frightened trance. She felt Nen Yim's hands grab her right arm and drag her to her feet and Danni finally pulled her gaze from the Bothan that had almost killed her. Nen Yim and Uhla pulled her toward the tree line, which to Danni suddenly appeared a target impossibly far away.

The trio made it only a few steps before another sound buzzed through the chaos behind them that froze them in place and made the fine hairs on the back of Danni's neck go rigid. It was a winding thrum that growled and snapped with electric reverb, and Danni recognized it almost immediately as the drone of a lightsaber.

We're saved! Danni thought. She turned, looking for some sign of their Jedi rescuers but could see little through the flashes and gloom that encircled the carnage beyond the damutek. Her sense of elation sunk quickly when she saw a Yuuzhan Vong raise his arm to hurl a razor bug at the Bothan lines, drawing back... but the biot was never thrown. Instead, the Yuuzhan Vong's arm simply fell away.

The former warrior went down howling next to his severed limb, its truncated edge a blackened stump wreathed in the glow of bright embers that had been flesh and bone before the lightsaber's blade had shredded through it.

A dark figure stepped over the writhing alien without as much as a glance. He was dressed in black with a sleeveless cloak draped around his shoulders that whirled with his movements and its hood raised to mask his pale features in shadow. In his right hand the man held the polished hilt of a lightsaber, its scorching white beam blazing in a mist of blood-red energy.

This was no Jedi.

Though she could not see his eyes beneath the veil of shadows created by his cowl, Danni felt his gaze fall on her a moment before the stranger began stalking toward her and the shapers. She stiffened and readied herself to raise her blaster and try to sneak a bolt past the man's lightsaber, but her finger slackened from the trigger the moment he reached up with his free hand and pulled his hood back.

Danni's mouth fell open wordlessly at the sight. There was nothing that could have prepared her for the shock of seeing his face, nor the state it was in, and the tingling she'd felt at the first sound of the lightsaber seemed to give way to a sensation that was much like the planet collapsing beneath her feet.

Jacen Solo was suddenly towering over her and Danni realized then that she had actually fallen backwards. His appearance hadn't changed enough to make him unrecognizable to her, though his features seemed thinner and paler and there was a cluster of scars torched up his right cheek. But his eyes... there was something missing from them, a light that had always been there appeared to to be smothered, leaving only darkness.

His hand reached out toward her.

"Take me to Jabitha," he said.

They tramped through the jungle in a single-file line, with Jacen taking the lead and Danni following several paces behind him near the two Yuuzhan Vong shapers. After little more than an hour of traveling, the staccato drumming of blaster fire and earsplitting screams of grenades had faded beyond hearing, replaced instead by the reedy trills of a thousand nighttime insects and the calls of animals disturbed by their sudden intrusion into the tampasi. Occasionally an X-Wing starfighter would dart overhead in a stream of red drive glows and rumble of cooking ions, but they took no interest in the four travelers if their sensors even detected them beneath the thick canopy of balloon-shaped leaves, no doubt on their way to more pressing business in the other Yuuzhan Vong villages.

The cloying smell of Zonama Sekot's vegetation and rich soil pervaded every breath this deep in the planet's jungle, each swirling aroma resurrecting old memories of Jacen's time living alone there. It suddenly didn't seem so long ago, sleeping beneath the towering boras, learning from Sekot while it in turn learned from him, and feeling the planet's embrace...

That embrace was gone now as he moved through the jungle. There was almost no sign of Sekot at all.

Jacen bent the branches and overgrowth tangled in his path aside with a brush of his hand, resisting the urge to ignite his lightsaber and chop through the bramble where it became thickest. He'd spent more than three weeks constructing the weapon after losing his original lightsaber on Centerpoint Station, augmenting the metal hilt casing with Sith alchemy to make the material nearly unbreakable and, at his master's suggestion, using a synthetic lightsaber crystal to focus the energy blade. It required much preparation, employing a geological compressor and special furnace to form the crystal, than imbuing it with dark side energy through Jacen's own power and some advanced alchemistic techniques, but the result was a stronger blade, and one that's color was a deep red.

"Jacen... where are we going?"

He could feel Danni's eyes on his back, studying him with so much fear and apprehension, and sensed her thoughts clearly. She'd been wondering what had happened to him, why he was there, how he was involved in the attack, and even if she and the shapers should try and run from him, but mostly she'd been pondering what to say.

"I told you," he responded. "To see Jabitha."

Danni paused for a long moment, mulling over his answer. "But you're the one leading the way. You certainly don't seem to need us to show you where the Magister is."

The Sith Apprentice actually snorted and grinned, on the verge of surprised laughter. "True enough."

"Then why did you bring us with you?" Danni asked timidly.

A shrug raised Jacen's shoulders as he snapped branches jutting crookedly across his path. "I suppose because I didn't want to see you harmed."

"Oh."

She sounded surprised this time, and that actually brought a pang of regret rooted deeper than he would have imagined. There was an old hurt there and great sadness stowed somewhere inside of Danni. Jacen found himself wondering just how much the scientist knew of his time away from Zonama Sekot.

"I don't know what you might have heard about me," Jacen began tentatively without looking over his shoulder, "but there is a lot of confusion. Contrary to the popular belief among some, I'm not a monster."

"I would never think that of you, Jacen," Danni replied after a moment. "I do wonder why you have allied yourself with an enemy of the Jedi."

The young man's brow flattened at this, but he kept any trace of anger from encroaching into his voice. "Perhaps the better thing to mull over is why the Jedi became enemies of the Alliance to begin with."

"They say you are a Sith now."

"Do you believe that?"

"I don't... I don't know."

Jacen's frown deepened and he slowed to a stop before he finally turned to gaze at the blonde woman over his shoulder. "I am the same person I've always been, Danni," he said. "I haven't changed... It's important to me that you believe that."

"I do, Jacen," Danni replied, but there was too much fear in her voice for it to be convincing.

Jacen pushed on through the forest without responding as a cool night breeze rippled through the dark paths of the jungle, its icy fingertips gently rustling foliage and breath hissing in a wicked rasp that raised bumps on the flesh of everyone who felt its chill. Seeming to sense that the direction of their conversation was one fraught with peril, Danni remained silent for several breaths before gathering the courage to broach another subject that had obviously been on her mind for some time.

"... I heard about you and Tenel Ka..." she said hesitantly.

The man's strides faltered a step, but he continued through with only a single stutter, his boots snapping a web of fallen twigs as he resumed his pace. "What exactly have you heard?"

"That you are married."

"Oh," Jacen replied.

It was what his sister had really come to him for eleven months earlier. Instead of asking for his help in combating the threat that lurked behind the Vagaari, she told him that the Hapans had made an unusual offer to join the Alliance fully and lend their substantial navy to the GA in order to fend off those who sought to harm them all—Jacen simply had to marry his old friend, the Queen Mother Tenel Ka.

In order to secure her throne and earn the support of her people to join the Alliance, Tenel Ka needed to take a husband, and she hoped to continue her push for gender equality in the Hapes Consortium by making Jacen "King"—something Hapes had never had—and giving him equal rule over the Consortium.

It all seemed so unimportant now that he'd discovered the truth of those who controlled the Vagaari that had troubled the Alliance so much, and actually joined them as the Alliance had...

"Do you love her?" Danni asked, pulling him out of his reverie.

He nodded sadly without looking over to her. "Yes," he said.

Though their union had been arranged, it hadn't taken Jacen long to remember why he had found Tenel Ka Djo so captivating when they were mere students on Yavin 4. That boyish crush had never really went anywhere, and he'd thought his feelings for her had been lost like so much else he'd once clung to before the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, but as their troubles mounted, and Jacen was devastated by the revelation of Luke Skywalker's scheme to subvert the Galactic Alliance's first election, and plagued by visits of Vergere's spirit that he was convinced were hallucinations, Tenel Ka had been there to help him, and he soon found himself falling in love with her again, and her with him.

He was almost surprised by his answer to Danni, but he knew in his heart that it was true. Even after her betrayal at Centerpoint, after she'd taken part in leading him there so Anakin could kill him, and drove that dagger into his shoulder herself, he still loved her deeply, truly.

"I am happy for you then," Danni said with a wistful smile.

The Sith inclined his head again, but this time it was not in acknowledgment to what the young scientist had said—instead, the motion was meant to indicate the object which had sprouted into view at the end of their gloom-wrapped path.

"We're here," he said, and stepped forward.

Nestled at the base of a leafless bora with a thick, crookedly twisted trunk was a small hut cobbled of old metal debris, broken stone, and mud. The bora craned and spiraled out over it in a manner that would have made the small structure difficult to see from the air, even with its barrens limbs forming a hole in the canopy webbed only by claw-like branches. This was in part because the hut had been constructed within the hollow of the massive, gnarled roots that spread out across the forest floor like old veins.

Its shape was distinguished by two round windows and the mouth of its arched doorway, where the warm glow of golden candlelight could be seen flickering in the shadows. Standing on either side of the passage were a pair of Ferroans dressed in white robes adorned by designs stitched in gray and green. They were tall beings, one with a long mane of jet black hair, the other tresses of pure white. Their blue faces appeared grim and forbidding in the darkness, like the bladed staffs each held at a guard.

"Halt," called the female with white hair that Jacen recognized immediately.

"Hello, Darak," Jacen said, not slowing in his approach. He tipped his head ever-so-slightly in the direction of her male counterpart. "Rowel."

"Jacen?" The Ferroan questioned, stepping out of the shadows to get a better look at their intruder and blinking his dark eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to see the Magister."

"We cannot allow that," Darak frowned, raising her weapon to a cross guard to make it clear her words were more than a casual claim. "She is not accepting visitors at this time."

Danni dropped back with Nen Yim and Uhla, exchanging looks of uncertainty with the two shapers while Jacen continued forward until he was face to face with the Ferroans. Again Jacen resisted the urge to draw the lightsaber dangling from his belt as the pair moved their staffs into his path to keep him from passing.

"This is a very important matter," Jacen said. "You would be wise to let me speak with Jabitha now."

Darak traded a nervous look with Rowel, her lip quivering as though she was going to answer again, but instead they simply stared back at Jacen without so much as shaking their heads in denial.

"I see..." Jacen replied emotionlessly. "You're not—"

"It's okay," a voice interrupted. Jacen looked up to see a woman with long dark hair emerge from the shimmering entrance of the small hut and straighten in the darkness. "It's okay, Rowel and Darak," she said again, waving the two Ferroans away from Jacen. "I will speak with him."

"Very well, Magister," Darak allowed, lowering her staff and stepping away with Rowel mirroring her movements. Both seemed to bristle at the reproach but swallowed any objections to the Magister's orders that might have been simmering on their tongues.

Jabitha was a pale blue woman of more than sixty who looked much younger, though the deep wrinkles around her eyes could be seen clearly as she squinted at him through the darkness by only the faintest of firelight. The robes she was garbed in were as black as her long hair, which was tied in a thick tail that dangled down to the small of her back. When she was satisfied that her advisors had departed far enough, Jabitha turned her gaze back to Jacen.

"How did you find me?" she asked.

"Where else would Sekot have you go in a crisis like this?" the Sith questioned. "No one else really knows about this place."

Jabitha's expression turned sour. This place had once been the palace of Leor Hal, the first Magister and Jabitha's grandfather. The palace itself was long gone, having been left in ruins even before Zonama Sekot began making a series of hyperspace jumps over recent decades. The storms that accompanied such journeys had completely demolished what was left. On any other planet, the result would have been an empty patch of rubble where the palace had stood, but on Zonama Sekot, its lush vegetation grew as though by magic, and trees shot up to heights in a few years that should have taken generations, completely erasing any evidence that the palace had even existed there.

Jabitha had constructed the small hut there after the Yuuzhan Vong had settled on the planet, fearing that some skirmish might break out where she would be forced to take refuge. As the voice of Sekot, her survival would be paramount.

"What is it you want, Jacen Solo?"

"I want to talk to Sekot," he answered, "but it is no longer responding."

"Sekot does not wish to speak with you," Jabitha replied dismissively.

"Yes, and that's a mistake."

"It knows you are responsible for bringing them here—why should Sekot do what you ask?"

Jacen shook his head as he began to pace back and forth in front of the Magister. "I didn't bring them here," he said. "I need you to impart to Sekot just how important it is that it speaks with me now. I can help it, but not if it ignores me."

"Sekot is no longer certain it can trust you, Jacen," Jabitha replied.

"Tell it anyway." There was more steel in Jacen's voice this time and the Magister's glare faltered for a moment. After a moment of consideration, Jabitha nodded, and then her dark eyes seemed to glaze over, as though she was peering into something far, far away. She stayed that way for several heartbeats, before she blinked and seemed to return to her body.

"Well?" Jacen implored.

"Sekot is coming to speak with you itself," Jabitha said dourly.

A rustling in the bushes that crowned a small incline to his right killed Jacen's reply on his lips. He turned to face the source of the noise and what little blood colored his pale features must have drained completely.

Anakin Solo stepped out from the darkness.

This time Jacen's hand did drop to his lightsaber. He backpedaled a few steps in surprise, not believing what he was seeing as the figure moved more clearly into the slivers of moonlight that stabbed through the broken canopy above.

His brother was dressed in simple sand-colored Jedi robes and wore a strange, knowing smile on an otherwise pensive face. Jacen's heart seemed to pound so hard in his chest that it made his ribs ache, but his panic at the ambush gave way to a rush of warmth as his blood flowed hotly in waves throughout his body, a well of hatred boiling over at the sight of his enemy.

"Anakin," Uhla said, stepping forward, but was stopped when Nen Yim reached out and grabbed her arm.

Jacen stopped just short of drawing his lightsaber and igniting its scarlet blade when he realized that it wasn't Anakin at all. His breath came out in a derisive hiss and he stood in place. Foolishly, he'd expected Sekot to emerge from the forest as his former mentor Vergere, the form the planet's consciousness almost always took when speaking with him.

The image of his brother descended the incline and Jacen realized then that he was looking at a nineteen-year-old version of Anakin—Anakin as Sekot had last seen him.

"Hello, Jacen," Sekot's projection greeted with his brother's lopsided grin.

Darth Havok's eyes narrowed. "Is this your idea of a joke?"

"Joke?" The planet asked.

Had Sekot sensed his hatred for Anakin, perceived what had happened between them only a month earlier? Jacen opened his mouth to ask why the planetary consciousness had chosen this form to meet with him when he caught a glimpse of a glowing hole scorched through Anakin's left abdomen. It was thumb-sized and wreathed in molten amber, gaping open wide enough that Jacen thought he might have been able to peer straight through it. His brow furrowed in confusion, but when he blinked the wound had vanished.

"Is everything all right?" Sekot questioned.

"Huh?"

"Is everything all right?"

"Oh, yes," Jacen frowned, his eyes moving back to the face of his brother. "I mean, no obviously. We're in danger."

"A danger you did not bring here," the false Anakin said, repeating what it had no doubt sensed through Jabitha.

"No," Jacen assured, hoping the planet could feel the truth behind his words. He had not been the one to disclose Zonama Sekot's location to Traest Kre'fey, allowing the Bothans to attack the planet and the Yuuzhan Vong who lived there, but he certainly knew who did. Darth Malig had conveyed the information to Admiral Kre'fey anonymously, and informed Jacen it was done in order to keep a promise that General Rénin had made. Kre'fey, Malig said, would get what he deserved for his faithful service.

"Who then?"

"You've been betrayed, but not by the Alliance... this attack is not what it appears to be. You can sense that, can't you?"

The image of his brother looked thoughtful. "I can sense that most of those who are attacking are not who they pretend to be."

Darth Havok nodded. "They're Bothans, pretending to be Alliance soldiers. They were led here by a Bothan Admiral named Traest Kre'fey, who has betrayed us all and used the Alliance fleet he commanded to attack you with his people's assassins."

"That doesn't explain how they found us," Sekot replied. "The Bothans were not to know our location because we knew they were a threat. Who told Traest Kre'fey where I was?"

"I'm... I'm afraid that it was the people you trust most. I think it was the Jedi," Havok lied, turning from his brother and walking back towards Jabitha's hut.

"The Jedi?" The planet's consciousness asked, moving down the slope after him.

"Yes," Havok said without turning to face the apparition. "The Jedi have turned on the Alliance in recent months, and taken a few rebels like Kre'fey with them. I'm afraid that my uncle and his Order have become... corrupted."

"Jacen!" Danni was still standing a few meters away with the shapers in the shadow of the large bora, her arms folded over her chest and a look of incredulity on her face.

"I know it's difficult to accept," he said to her as much as Sekot.

"Is this true?" The false Anakin questioned, turning its gaze to Danni.

"No, of course not!" The scientist protested. "I mean, I don't know... but no, I don't believe it."

"The Jeedai would never do such a thing," Uhla added, her spindly body going rigid with indignation as her fists clenched at her side. "They saved us all."

"The Jedi have allied themselves with the Chiss," Havok went on, turning his attention back to the projection of his brother. "You remember the Chiss, don't you? They tried to poison you with Alpha Red?"

This seemed to give the planet pause, blinking as though it didn't know what to say, and the Sith used the opportunity to press on. "They're gathering allies to fight the Alliance and they want to destroy you too."

"Why?" Sekot questioned.

"I don't know," he said. "To punish the Yuuzhan Vong maybe, or because they see you as a threat to their power... either way, they've attacked you and they're not going to stop now."

"Ridiculous," Jabitha interrupted. "The Chiss aided us in the end. They did not mean for—"

"The Chiss believe in completely annihilating their enemies," Jacen said, silencing the Magister. "Much like the Bothans now roaming the surface here."

The planet's projection of Anakin looked troubled. "The Alliance promised us sanctuary here."

"A lot has changed recently."

"Then why have you urged me not to fight back? Are you with them?"

Jacen shook his head as he turned back to face the image of his brother. "No, I'm not—not really. I didn't want you to attack the Bothans because it won't do any good. If you use your powers to attack, you'll take a few of them out, but the rest will flee, and when they come back, there will be a fleet ten times that size—one even you won't be able to destroy."

"Why did they not send a fleet of that size now?"

The young man in black snorted as he paced through the shadows. "They think they did. They believe my fleet is here to help them, to lend support if you try to protect the Yuuzhan Vong."

"But you are not?"

"No."

"We saw him cut down a Yuuzhan Vong with his lightsaber," Nen Yim glowered from where she was still standing with Danni and Uhla.

"I was defending myself," the Dark Lord explained, "not helping the Bothans."

Anakin's eyes lingered on Nen Yim for only a moment before turning its gaze back. "Then why are you here, Jacen?"

Though its voice was a more innocent, child-like one Jacen had come to associate with Sekot, he could feel the ripples of suspicion from the planet's aura as it reached out to encircle his presence in the Force and determine his true intentions.

"I came to save you," Jacen said simply. "To protect you."

"By letting them land here and take the lives of those who reside with me?"

"By letting them get in deep enough that they won't be able to escape," he corrected. "My fleet is moving to surround them as we speak. When they are too entrenched to retreat, I will give the word, and we will destroy them."

A flash of darkness must have glinted over his eyes, or cruelty bled into his words, because Sekot was studying him with great curiosity when he had finished speaking.

"That seems very aggressive for you, Jacen."

He stared at the planetary consciousness, his jaw clenching. "I don't see what choice we have, do you?

"You could have warned me earlier. I could have simply moved. I could still—"

"They'll just find you again," Havok insisted, shaking his head as he continued to pace around the area beside the Magister's hut. "They'll kill the Yuuzhan Vong because they hate them, and then they'll kill you too, because they believe they have to."

"I don't understand," the fake Anakin replied, shaking his head. "Why is this happening?"

"I don't know... but I think I know how to fix it." With his back to Sekot and the others, Darth Havok waited for Sekot to bite...

"How?"

He didn't smile, even to himself, his features remaining grim. "It's complicated... but I think I've found a way to fix all of this, to bring peace to the galaxy, and more importantly, to the Force," he said. "But I need your help."

"Did you come down here to negotiate?" Sekot questioned, Anakin's eyebrow arching with new suspicion. "You will save me from the Bothans, but only if I assist you in whatever it is you and your new friends are planning to do?"

"No, of course not," Jacen said, turning back to planet with a wounded look. "But ultimately, I won't be able to protect you for long if you don't help me in this. I need you to trust me."

Anakin's phantom frowned. "You feel different to me, Jacen."

"I'm... When I was here, I was lost. I know what I'm supposed to do now. I have a purpose... I'm not searching anymore. My eyes are open."

"I can no longer tell if you are being honest with me or not. You presence is...shrouded."

"Have I ever lied to you before?"

"No," Sekot admitted.

"Then please," Jacen pleaded, hoping the planet could feel his sincerity. "I need you to trust me."

He extended his hand to the specter of his brother and Sekot stared at it for several moments. Anakin's blue eyes looked up to Danni for a moment and the woman shook her head in caution before Sekot turned its gaze back to the dark man in front of it.

Then it took his hand.

"I trust you, Jacen."

Darth Havok smiled. "Thank you," he said, giving the illusion a reassuring squeeze before he let it go. Then he reached down to his belt and removed the small comlink free from the loop it was secured in, before raising the device to his mouth.

"Captain Sayge—the time is now."

In less than an hour, every Fifth Fleet vessel that had been brought to Zonama Sekot was destroyed, including Traest Kre'fey's Ralroost, and the debris that was left drifted around the planet in a corona of frozen, pressure-ruptured corpses.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  20. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
  21. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    What, not even a pithy one-liner for Kre'fey before he got vaped? Tsk, tsk. :p

Okay, I saw the double-cross coming, but not how Jacen would make Sekot fall for his lies. Good work! Good chapter. :)

It was definitely the wrong way to go. Now, they have to push all the burden on Jaina and Ben, which necessitates making them interesting enough to carry the franchise. With Anakin, they had a very popular character who already had garnered enormous fan sympathy, but they chose to kill exactly that one character off. It's just beyond me how their decision-making process went on that, but maybe I simply don't have enough of a lack of foresight, when it comes to serial literary works. Comes with the territory of reading serial comics for such a long time. ^^

There really wasn't much to get excited about. Blood Trail would have been a much better sequel. [face_peace]

Well, I can argue from the perspective of already knowing what is to come, so for me the "crazy Jedi" thing makes more sense. But the Baran Do sages were exactly as boring as I always imagined them to be. :p

Because you are a reviewer and are under an NDA, yes yes. [face_batting]

IIRC, he had just recovered from an heart attack when he wrote it? It certainly lacked Wedge being incredibly awesome. Also, Voort SaBinring, aka Piggy, would have been nice in that little Wraith Squadron reunion on Kessel.

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Whoa.

Now thats how you do a last sentence!

23. GrandMasterKatarn

GrandMasterKatarn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 8, 2008
    FOURTH!

Wow! :eek: Jacen played the Bothans, Sekot, the Yuuzhan Vong, Danni Quee, Jabitha, and Traest Kre'fey. Lying to Sekot about the Jedi giving the location of Zonama Sekot to the BOTHANS! Are they really sure that Jacen's telling the truth, or can Sekot not even feel that? Either way, he's going to have sooo many enemies when this hits the ears of the Jedi.

Some how I get the feeling that things are only going to get worse [face_worried] . I dread to think who else Jacen will manipulate to get his and Maligs way by the end of the fic.

Great post.

24. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    Definetly a gutsy move, killing an established character like Kre'fey off without even seeing him. I respect it though. I wonder if Sekot doesn't still suspect Jacen and is using him for other purposes? I'm interested to hear why Anakin has a scar as Sekot? Has that already been explained? Great chapter, great shocker of an ending. SO we will be jumping into the future as of the next post?

EDIT: The book Malig has in chapter 2, is it a possiblity that it is the grimiore mentioned in the prologue?

25. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    :eek: Whoa!