main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

****The FanForce @ CE - Ideas and Volunteers needed!!****

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by Lord-Tice, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    The FanForce have kindly been given a table by Barry Eldridge in the Fan Club & Groups lounge during Celebration Europe. The table will allow us to promote the FanForce and will serve as a great meeting point for current members to mingle.

While we do not as yet have clear information regarding the size of the table/space, or whether they?ll be a backingboard, there is no stopping us to plan what should be on the table and indeed any space behind. So all ideas are welcome at this stage.

More importantly, we need to man the table through-out the show, therefore I would be incredibly grateful if people could volunteer to do this job. It?s an open invitation, so any fanforce member from any fanforce can join-in. The basic job description will be to hand-out flyers and answer any questions the unsuspecting public may have. The more people who volunteer, the better and easier it?ll be for us all. The idea is to draw up a rota, ensuring people can still fully enjoy the show and help out too.

The main things we also need to do/plan at this stage are the flyer, poster(s) & vinyl banner and funding for the promotional material.

So, let?s remember what Shaun said;
    ?Erm, as Mr Sloman always says,
    there?s no I in team but there is an I in pie. In... There?s an I in meat pie. The anagram of meat is team...
    I don?t know what he?s talking about.?
    :p

Any thoughts, ideas and volunteers are most welcome :)

LAJ edit - changed title, stickied thread

2. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    despite my contempt for the public in general,i would be happy to do a stint on the table.
    just don't expect me to be nice.

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I still like the logo that we have done for the FFEMs and I think it would be nice to use that on the table, but maybe it's time to upgrade it or something.

4. LadyPoison

LadyPoison Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2006
    Count me in for helping with table related things :)

5. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I'd do a few hours on one of the days, sure.

6. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I'm certainly good for doing a stint on the tables.

Can always bring something down from the North if you need anything?

7. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Excellent, thanks for stating an interest everyone so far, but more we still need, lots more ;)

If you could say what day(s) you are willing to help and for how long, that will certainly aid us to draw up a plan of action. Of cause things will change once the timetable of events is published as people can then decide what panels they want to attend, but forming a rough idea/plan at this stage would be good. However, I will stress that I want everyone to enjoy the show first and foremost, so when we design the table, having something that can look after itself is what I have in mind.

I can probably be creative with the posters, and I should be able to get some A3 prints done cost-free, so the real money soaker will be flyers. How many do you think we'd need?? Based on the London Film & Comic Con last year, I'd say the London FanForce got through around 100 or so, but with this being a pure SW show, for three days and likely to attract a vast attendance, we may need to think bigger, lol. And shall we opt for colour or the cheaper b&w option?? And of cause we need to design the thing.

A key part of that is deciding whether we are aiming towards the European market or world-wide market. I personally think we need to promote ourselves as 'the FanForce' rather then 'the European FanForce' because I'm sure plenty of people outside of Europe will be attending.

Finally, if anyone has any ideas or gets inspiration from another source, don't hesitate to post. If you're going to a show in the near future, keep a good look out for any tables/stands that you feel do a good job and we can learn from.

8. Master_Fasli

Master_Fasli Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2007
    Hi folks, I'm new to this site myself and I already love it. I an attending the CE and would love to help out manning the table, that would be cool. I'm currently in the process of making my costume. I'm planning on attending all three days with a pal of mine, so he would be able to help out too.

May the force be with you

Lacjo Fasli

9. Qui-Ton-Set

Qui-Ton-Set Jedi Master star 2

May 7, 2006
    SHOW TENCLO!!!!!!

Or the Documentary....

SHOW TENCLO!!!!!!!!!!!!

=D==D==D==D==D=

10. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Welcome aboard Fasli :)

It would be nice to show TENCLO as it would add great atmosphere and attract many people, but for the application we had to submit likely table content and we'll probably have to submit the finalised content to get clearance, and I fear TENCLO or any fanfilm would not get clearance :(

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I agree on that we should promote FF as a whole, not just the European parts, on the other hand I think it's important that we show that there are quite a lot of people involved in FF in Europe, so that the Europeans who come doesn't feel that it's useless to join up since it's mainly an American thing.

One thing I think would be fun to have is a posterboard where we could just put up a lot of pics from meetings, maybe specially the EFFMs.

12. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I agree to Johanna, that we should promote FF as a whole. But if we do any focus, the main focus should be on the European FF in my opinion, since most people will be from Europe and this might be more interesting for them. :)

How much would it cost to order (let's say 200) flyers? Do you know anything about how many visitors are expected by the CE-organisators? That would give us a hint how many flyers we need.

13. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I had in mind listing all the different FanForce regions on the flyer, or certainly the countries that have a FanForce, which will help identify how global we are and that Europe has a mighty fine FanForce representation.

Johanna, I love the idea of the posterboard. I thought about having photo albums/scrapbooks but I think having them pinned-up on a board would work very well. Feel free to post links for photos we can use :D

250 colour flyers would cost around £50 (70ish euros). Black & White, around £30-40. So I think we are looking at around £150-200 for around 1,000 which is a heck of a lot. If anyone has any good prinitng contacts, feel free to help us out ;)

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    How about a short description of FF, the main link to our boards and maybe a pic of Europe with all countries marked that have a FF?
    Of course America, Asia and Australia should be named as well, but shall we list every FF as well? That might be too many in matters of place on the flyer. :confused:

What do you think about naming a person whom the interested people can contact? Or is it better if they go to their FF and look for the blue one?

What kind of flyers are you looking for? 1/3 of a Din A4? 1000 4-colored flyers would cost about 72? at flyer24.de. (I've just took a short look at the German pages/offers.)

Edit: Changed price, because I found a cheaper offer.

15. Master_Fasli

Mar 27, 2007
    guys if someone could tell me exactly what kind of leaflets, size, colour b/w, what we are having printed on them, There's a printers near where I work, so I could pop in and find out some prices.

16. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    lol, completely forgot to mention the size 8-}
    I have in mind A5 size (measuring 14.5cm x 21cm). If you can get a quote for say one thousand, printed in either colour or B&W on just one side, then we can do some price comparing :)

17. Master_Fasli

Mar 27, 2007
    Cool, I will find out tomorrow

18. Master_Fasli

Mar 27, 2007
    Hello there

Have poped into my local printers and have obtained the following prices

A5 Digital Gloss colour

£103.27

A5 Plain paper colour

1000 £68.39 (inc artwork)
    2000 £91.51 (inc artwork)

A5 single colour

1000 £58.27 (inc artwork)
    2000 £73.92 (inc artwork)

Another option for black and white could be if someone could design a leaflet fitting 2 on an A4 sheet of paper, then we could make photocopies of the leaflet and cut them to size ourselves. More work involved, but it could work out cheaper. I have acess to a photocopier........

May the force be with you

19. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Thanks Fasli :)

Those quotes sound very good, and the b&w photocopying option is definitely viable. The next step I feel is to do some flyer mock-ups and see how well (if at all) they will look b&w and decide from there.

Feel free anyone to do some designs and post them here. What we need to include is a brief description of the FanForce and what we do, mention somewhere the areas we cover and have some URL's pointing people into the right direction. At this stage use any imagery you like, and work in either full colour or b&w and at 300 dpi A5 size. See below for an example of the London flyer from last year.

As for covering the printing costs, it would be nice to set-up a kitty where people can contribute however much they can afford, with perhaps a maximum donation of £10. Any money not spent can then be given back fairly to the contributers. As much as I would like to, I had to fork out for flyers last year and didn't get any financial help and I can't afford to do the same this time, so I'm trying to do this as fairly as possible.

[image=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/Lord-Tice/LFCC_Flyer72.jpg]

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I fully agree with you that you can't afford paying all the flyers yourself. But how should the donation work? When to pay where/whom?

Your flyer looks great. Maybe we can use the same structur and wording for CE?
    Maybe we could add that the registration to the board is free and doesn't cost anything?

Btw do we have to pay for the FF table at the CE? :confused:

21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    If we knew where to send the money I think we could start collecting them now, I don't think you can start too early with it.

22. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I've got some quotes for flyers from local (SE London) printers and they aren't for the faint hearted. For 1,000 flyers the average is around £150, although for 2,000 it's not much more (£160). These are full colour, single-sided A5 flyers on photo gloss paper.
    I did consider maybe business cards instead, as a cheaper alternative, and that would cost £75 for 2,000.

So far your quotes work out cheaper Master_Fasli (btw what are the printers called and where about's are they based?)
    I will try and get some more quotes this week.
    EDIT: I think you're onto something with the idea of photocopying as that would work out to be very cheap and if we can get a good design, could work well. For around 1,000 photocopies (which would be 2,000 A5 flyers), I think it would only cost around £30, or around £50 if we copy onto a coloured paper for added effect.

As for paying into the funds, paypal would be the best and easiest option but if you haven't got paypal, then it could get tricky. It also means that the funds would be paid into my account so as long as everyone is happy with that set-up and can trust me, then that would be the best way to go. As I've said before, any money not spent will be given back as fairly as possible.

So far there are still some important issues we need to get round to discussing properly, now that we have less then 7 weeks to go!!! :eek:
    They are:
    ? Flyer design
    ? Table content (still awaiting table details from Barry)
    ? Getting as many people to volunteer as poss and work out a rota (which is also dependant on the CE timetable of events).

Lots of work to be done ;)

23. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    If you need someone to volunteer, I will. I need to brush up on my table skills for Gmex Collectormania :p

24. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    We should have STUFF on the tables - and by that, I mean fun things to bring people in - event if said stuff is just some kind of raffle where we given away something like...one of the ltd edition Hasbro figures for the show? It would be cool if we could get an internet connection so we can actually show FF to people - failing that, a laptop with some screen shots of the site downloaded or something - maybe someone in the PTB can give us some of the BB code to run a local version of the forums just for the event, we could let people post messages or whatever! I'm sure Excel will have Wireless capability - if not hard lines, so yeah...

Okay - rambling thoughts done - over to you.

Oh wait...volunteers...desk time? Hmm - i'll wait until the full schedule comes out before comitting to dates, hours and times, but i'll do some duty down there for yas!

25. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    At the moment I'm thinking of having the table quite clear and concise. The reason being that in past shows we've stalled-out at, there's been so much stuff on the table no one is completely sure what it's all about. Something I mentioned to Tim, and here, is that I think it's best we promote ourselves as just the FanForce, rather then the FF-UK but we also have a FanForce here, a FanForce there and another one here and one there too.....in other words just one flyer on the table advertising the FF as a global community (although the flyer will indeed state we have FanForce groups in the UK, Europe, US etc).. In the past we haven't seen great response from promotional activities and we've always tried to have lots going on at the table and so I can only conclude it's not really working, from the POV of new members becoming regulars.
    I also don't want anything that will cause security problems, so I'm not keen on going down the laptop route. Again, in the past members have been left on their own on the table which is completely unfair and so I want a table that can look after itself and pose no secuirty problems. The fact that only a few have stated an interest in helping with the table proves this point, and I want everyone to enjoy the show as much as poss and so no one will be left alone for hours on end.

I'm still liking the idea of Meet photos being on display as I think that will capture exactly what we're about. The table should contain more detailed explanations of what we do exactly, which will coincide with the flyer of cause. But the way I'm approaching this is if I knew nout about the FF, walked past the table and saw a great looking flyer and/or poster that really stands out, making me pick one up and read what else is on the table and looking at the photos.

That's what I think based on experience, but if anyone has their own ideas or opinions then it would be good to get our aim for the table nicely defined ASAP :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.