main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The "FF-UK North Recommends" thread ... Film, TV, book, comic, etc

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by timbolton, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Yeah right :p

2. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Weds should be fine with me, good start to a new year. Liverpool or Southport? Time?

I am Legend - Vue Southport
    Wednesday 2nd January 14:30 17:30 20:30

I am Legend - Odeon Liverpool
    Wednesday 2/01/08 12:30 14:00 15:00 16:45 17:45 19:30 20:30

Liverpool is looking more flexible, guess we could do some geek shopping and eat at Kimos too?

3. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    Liverpool would be better for me. And aye I'm up for some geek shopping, in need of some SW retail therapy :p

I'm happy to see the a later showing like 15:00 or 16:45

4. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I'll do a new thread on the meet, so we can get this thread back on topic ;) :p

A new recommend - Not sure if anyone has already posted this, but there is a Family Guy Star Wars homage coming out on DVD in the new year, 21 Jan 2008 - "Family Guy Presents Blue Harvest" (homage to the name ROTJ was called whilst filming was still trying to be kept secret).

There are two versions of this DVD - basic edition and special edition.

The extra stuff with the special edition can be better seen in the link below -
    Special Edition stuff

5. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i've been curious to see the film pathfinder for ages. it stars karl urban, the heavy metal cutie from LOTR and is about a viking being left with american natives to fight against his own kind.

anyway ... it's extremely gory (the german recommendation is above 18) and quite boring in the sense that not even the action is very engaging or the murky atmosphere helps. give one or two misses, please.

6. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Thanks Martina, I was curious about that film, had heard it had just too much emphasis on gore (which puts me off) and though I was intrigued with the whole Vikings in America idea (since there is historical proof now) I wasn't sure I'd like this story. I won't waste my money on the DVD now.

7. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    reading 'johnathan strange & mr norrell' at the moment and i'm recommending for those harry potter readers amongst you because this is like the adult version (a little bit, forgive me, susanna) of it, two magicians in the 19th century who strive to bring back practical magic to england. on top of everything it's set in the north (at least the bit i've read through so far) so i HAD to recommend it :D

8. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I recommend There Will be Blood. Make it your top priority film to see this week.

9. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i second this. make a commitment NOW.

10. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    If you haven't seen There Will be Blood yet (which by now you all should have done :p ), then still go see it!!

But if you have (and well done to you), I also strongly recommend seeing Black Water. It's a great little film that has far more to offer then the likes of Rambo and the quite disappointing Be Kind, Rewind.

11. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    oh noes! how dare thee bash be kind rewind!!!!????

12. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Well, I'm not the only one :p ;)
    It was okay and had some very funny moments, but on the whole it was merely average at best. I'd rather people spend money on Black Water this week as it's far more deserving of your hard cash!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.