main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Fifty Sentence Challenge - December's prompts, and a question to participants!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Fifty_Sentences_Sock, Jan 1, 2011.

1. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Here's my entry, for Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Bring Me That Horizon

That was fun!:D

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    That was my problem with the first two ones that I did way back earlier - grammar rule slaughterage began. :p I did Table IV this evening with an unlikely piece (possibly even more unlikely than Shakespeare :p ) and apparently my skills haven't gotten any better. 8-}

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Well, it's almost 5:00AM here, and after a night's work, here's my little multifandom series (multifandom meaning a different fandom per table in each month :p )

Tilting at Windmills, right now featuring a Doctor Who ficlet called "Strange Brew". :D

4. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I've read everyone's responses so far, and I have got to say that each one has been extremely enjoyable to read. :D Bring on some more! [face_dancing]

Speaking of which, Tilting at Windmills has been updated with Table II: "Horizon in the Mists" (this time, Mistborn is the fandom).

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    The index is updated. [face_love]

You guys are making this a blast so far!

[:D]

~MJ @};-

7. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
  8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Upon acknowledging that my muse was more ambitious than I previously thought, I expanded to include for multiple fandoms. :oops:

So, here's my latest: :)

Table III: Gilmore Girls.

~MJ @};-

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    And for that, I am very proud of you, Mira. [:D] :*

I have put up Table III with a Sherlock story, Winterised Crime Investigations. Apologies in advance, Mira - I may have taken out most of the happy holiday feeling in the prompts. [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Sorry for the double post. :)

I have officially completed all four tables! :D [face_dancing] Tilting at Windmills has been updated with my final ficlet for January - Men of All Seasons (The Departed - bloody good film, if you haven't seen it). :)

11. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    It Only Takes One- Table I has been updated.

Now only two more to go this month...

On second thought I think I might have to look up definition for some of the words in Table IV..

[face_hypnotized]

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh]

I am stretching everyone's vocabulary. :cool: Wait til you see some of the ones approaching. [face_devil]

After this month I'll update the Index to reflect threads that are carrying on all year, as well. [face_love]

~MJ @};-

13. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I gave this challenge a try, but I just could not get a few words to fit, and not to mention that the story took a life of it's own. It just absolutely refused to be bound by the rules of the challenge, so I had to release the one-shot to allow it to be as good as it potentially could be. I do give credit for this challenge though. because of it, it helped me develop this very beautiful one shot story that I am absolutely love. Without this challenge, this one shot of How To Train Your Dragon would not have been possible.

The vocabulary really made this story, and I will try to use as many as possible, to continue the story; I just have to let it be what it wants to be.

Anyway so if you run into my How To Train Your Dragon Vignette, You may recognize many of the terms from one of the tables in the challenge. The story started out in response to this challenge, but it just took a life of it's own.

14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    A HTTYD fic??

All is forgiven! ;) [:D]

On that note, I am glad that this was able to inspire you - in any way. [face_love] That is the whole point of this challenge. After all, we all know how much of a pain in the butt sentences can be. ;)

I'll be sure to drop a review when your story makes its way up. :)

... on that note, I have my third table up. :D

"how dreaming becomes us"

[face_dancing]

~MJ @};-

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    My vocabulary enjoys being stretched. :D

But you know what? I may just create my own set of prompts, mais en Français. :cool: Just for the hell of it... :p

I'm glad that the challenge got you writing, mrjop2! I'll be sure to check out the vignette. :D I do hope that you may consider returning to the challenge sometime, if you find the write inspiration for it. :)

16. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    When I want to write another vignette, I will definitely use this challenge as a starting point. If I can make all the words fit, then I will post it as a response to the challenge, if I can't I will post it as a vignette. This challenge is probably the best in helping a writer to write a really good one-shot.

17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
  18. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    This challenge is a lot harder than it looks. I'm finding that I can't just dash off 50 sentences. I feel like I might not be giving my best on each one.

Does each one have to be a masterpiece?

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    :eek:

[face_dancing]

s'il vous plaît et merci!! ;)

Just as long as we are slowly corrupting authors one fic at a time, all is well in the universe. :cool: [:D]

Feel free to pimp away. :cool:

Of course not! [:D]

From my experience - and those who I have gotten feedback from, these are quick sketches - impressions, even. And together they form a bigger view and idea about a character. [face_love] Alone they may not be that much to look at, but as a whole they are splendid. [face_love]

For example:

She only used nine words here, and yet that alone was a character glimpse - into how he was raised, and why he is a little the way he is now. You put 50 sentences like that together, and you have a glorious picture in the end.

And then you have some of us who can't do so in nine words, and the effect is just as powerful.

Example:

Now, that was just a sentence but you learned a lot about the character - both characters, really.

And never forget the almighty powers of dialogue when writing these! :D Mix it up with thoughts, and words, kinda like:

.... Did any of that help? :D

[:D]

~MJ @};-

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Mira, you quoted me twice. [face_blush]

You dear! :* [:D]

21. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Well... since we can self-promote...

Crystal Visions.

It's just Supernatural at the moment, but that'll probably change if I do more over the year -and I certainly plan to :D

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yay!! I love seeing more people do this :D

23. Fifty_Sentences_Sock

Fifty_Sentences_Sock Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2010
    Alrighty, everyone. :D

First off, you all have been fantastic with your feedback with this! I mean, fantastically fantastic. [face_love]

And to insure a fantastically fantastic turn-out in the future, I have a few questions to pose to you. Brutal honesty is encouraged. :cool:

1. Did you find the prompts easy to write for? (Relatively speaking :p)

2. Which did you find more enjoyable to write for ? the fandom centered prompts, or the general ones?

3. Is there a fandom in particular you'd like to see a table for? [face_batting]

4. Is there anything you would like to see done differently?

And, of course, anything else you would like to say. :cool: More promts come in twelve days - and you can make a difference. :p ;)

FSS

24. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    And here are my answers:

1. The prompts were sometimes a bit of a stretch, but as I could write them out of order (though I posted them in order) and progressively work through them from the easy ones to the more difficult, I guess it was ok.

2. As I chose a fandom-centered prompt, I cannot really answer for the general ones. For me, it was more a matter of content that could be made to serve my purpose, so I chose the one that fitted better the fandom I wanted to write about.

3. Well, since I'm writing for The Lord of the Rings, I think that my ideal set of prompts is rather self-explanatory.

4. Not for the foreseeable future. If there's anything off, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Lauré :)

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    1. Did you find the prompts easy to write for?

Oh yes! There were a few prompts that were challenging because I had to think a little bit more, but that was more because I didn't want to do the obvious thing with the prompt. Table IV threw me in a loop, until I watched The Departed, and... yeah, the rest is history. Table IV ended up being the very first table I finished. :p

2. Which did you find more enjoyable to write for ? the fandom centered prompts, or the general ones?

Either is good, because both types have their challenges and quirks. If you're writing multi-fandom like me, fandom centered prompts encourage you just to jump to the obvious choice and write the table for the fandom generated by the prompts. However, since I like challenging myself, I like seeing how far I can go into a completely different fandom (even one that is the polar opposite of the fandom represented by the prompt table). As long as fandom centered prompts aren't using fandom specific words like, say, "Dalek" or "Time Lord", then I'm good for anything.

General ones are great, too, because they offer more flexibility and can sometimes be just as challenging as the fandom centered ones. The greatest challenge about general ones would be trying to develop a consistent atmosphere throughout all fifty sentences - atmosphere is easier to achieve through fandom centered prompts, I think. :)

3. Is there a fandom in particular you'd like to see a table for?

I is Multifandom Idri! 8-} Any fandom works for me! [face_dancing]

And I therefore dare you to do one for The Departed. I just dare you. [face_mischief] (My Muse works in wonky ways - and seems to currently depend on films I have recently seen - what else can I say? o_O )

4. Is there anything you would like to see done differently?

Nope, none at all! This is just a personal thing, but if I was doing the challenge, I would release the tables a week at a time, but since not everyone wants to write for all tables, it makes sense to release them all together. My own personal issue is that once I have all four tables, I will most likely write responses to all of them at once and then post all of them within four days. Which is kind of anti-climactic when you consider that it's a monthly challenge, not a four-day challenge. :p But that's just my problem and I should use this opportunity to finally learn how to pace myself. 8-}