main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Films Of Martin Scorsese: Scorsese and Dicaprio Reunite for "The Wolf of Wall Street"

Discussion in 'Community' started by severian28, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    DiCaprio excels at playing anything. He could play a phone book reading itself and I'd be riveted.

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Burton will be tough because...that voice.

Taylor will be tough because...those eyes.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    This is a great concept, but it fails in execution because it's uncastable. I'm no fan of Burton as an actor and I think Taylor is not as great as some people think. But still, they were utterly compelling characters/personalities and there was a strange intensity to them that I just can't see anyone really capturing.

4. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    I've already seen a movie about those two's "Furious Love". It was called "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  6. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    My opinion of The Departed has radically improved over the last five years. Its clearly Scorsese's masterpiece. It took me four or five viewings for everything the director is trying to express to sink in. That the actual plot of the story is nonsense makes the relationships in the film all that more powerful. Its DiCaprios finest hour too. I had to revise that initial opinion as well. The way he seamlessly combines the characters resiliency and vulnerability is astonishing. He could indeed do what Frank does but in his heart doesn't want to and in that moment Scorsese shows us the first(and i'll bet one time only) good guy in one of his crime dramas, and gives us yet another all time moment in movies with that particular scene.

7. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Scorcese's Hugo got more nominations (11) than any other 2011 film.
    He's already won Best Director for Hugo at the Golden Globes.

Here's the list for Hugo:

BEST PICTURE
    BEST DIRECTOR
    BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    BEST ART DIRECTION
    BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
    BEST COSTUME DESIGN
    BEST EDITING
    BEST SCORE
    BEST SOUND EDITING
    BEST SOUND MIXING

Nice to see Howard Shore get a nomination for his score.

8. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Here was Scorcese's response:

"I am deeply honored to have been nominated by the Academy for my work on Hugo," Scorsese said in a statement. "Every picture is a challenge, and this one - where I was working with 3D, HD and Sacha Baron Cohen for the first time - was no exception. It's a wonderful feeling to know that you've been recognized by the people in your industry. I congratulate my fellow nominees. It's an impressive list, and I'm in excellent company."

9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    The Academy loves this new, post-Bringing Out the Dead Prestige Marty. You just know that if Shutter Island had come out in late 2009 as was originally intended it would have crashed the relevant Oscar party as well (and rightfully so, too, since it was better than the bulk of the nominees).

Lack of acting nominations makes things a bit difficult. If Kingsley had found a way in I might have almost started tipping it, but The Artist has checked all the boxes. So too has The Descendants, so I'd bet on them for the win first.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't know how much it cost, but on its face Hugo looks like a box office flop, which may not help its chances for the big awards. Still, it's made 3x as much as the Artist and more in the U.S. than The Descendants. Virtually no one in the U.S. has seen this movie, but that's ok I guess considering that the Oscars are supposed to play to a global audience.

If I had to guess, I'd say The Descendants and The Artist will be fighting each other for the big wins and that Hugo will win a few of the lesser awards.

11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    "Hugo" did pretty well, and I bet in a couple of years "The Artist" will be cited as a zeitgeist movie.

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001