main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The First Installment of the 2007 Jedi Draft (Winner: Shadow_of_Durron)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by EMPEROR_WINDU, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Good to be around!
    I'd join up again, but grad school is eating more time than I ever imagined.

PLUS...all these EU'ers would be my undoing!

SPOILER:

Wonder if Mara Jade's stock will plummet since she's

DEAD AS A DOORNAIL! She got killed lately by Jacen...Bwahahahaha!

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Let's be a little more careful with the spoilers. Yes, we're in Sacrifice HTR phase, but we need to HTR the entire spoiler.

so, can we discuss the next draft.

We still need a confirmed commish. Despised has right of first refusal on this one. If he wants it, he gets it. If not, I will start to approach people via PM until I find one. If you'd be interested, let me know.

We still need judges for next time. That final decision should rest with the commish, so we need to find one of those first.

We will be going with 12 teams again.

Team size: Back to six? Down to 8?

Prep time: Keep or go?

Locations: Keep, go, or modify?

3. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Well I haven't actually been in one of these, but I've followed them. I like the idea for locations much more than the idea of prep-time. Prep just doesn't seem like it's for the JD. I mean, how do you argue for someone with prep, when there's no location involved. All you get to do is say 'Well my guy knows who he'll be facing, and he can plan accordingly'. If weapons and vehicles aren't allowed (which they shouldn't be), the only guys who would benefit from prep time are the military planners and strategists. And even then, it'd be tough to judge just how much of an effect that would have on the match.

With locations though, as in a set location for every number (one for each conference or one for every match, doesn't really matter which), arguments could definitely be made that could affect each and every match. And if the location was more specific, as opposed to just 'Mon Calamari' with no set location on the planet, it would make a lot more sense. It would also bring Kit back down to his own level, which is a good thing. :p

I think 16 teams of 6 would be best. Like it was in the older drafts (I think).

Those are my quick and irrelevant thoughts.

4. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    Prep time needs to go.....and never come back.

I'd say the locations thing should be modified a bit. but i like the current way in the comic draft.

back down to six people would be interesting also..... i'd vote for it.

5. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Prep time needs to go. Size reduction definitely is needed, at least to 8 and preferably to six. Locations provide an interesting intangible, so I'm willing to keep those in.

EDIT: HTR response to Horax:

If anything her stock has improved based on Sacrifice. Obviously death means nothing, or we'd only have NJO characters to choose from - I'm sure you'd love that :p

6. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I say leave teams at 8. Most teams had plenty of depth at least to 8 in this draft anyway.

7. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I think we should add Roan Fel to the draft list, he seems to have done well in the latest issue.

Evil.

8. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    Lets add Grievous. [face_skull]

9. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    I say get rid of prep...keep locations.

Also if we only do 6 people increase the number of GMs.

Other than that

I am pretty sure her stock should rise. I mean she did defeat him, and if she wasn't a Jedi, he would have been dead there. And it was a brutal fight at that. EIther that or his stock drops

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    just to reiterate, increasing the number of GMs is not an option for the next draft

11. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I'd say down to six. 8 just slows down the drafting phase.

12. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Then I say if we do 6 Jedi, we don't increase the number of GMs..happy?

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Despised1 will be returning as commish again next draft.

He's still looking for a few more judges, so if you're interested, send him a PM.

Also, I'd ask him to post his final decision on the discussions (prep time, locations, size of teams) in this thread

14. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I have to decide all that stuff? Damn. :p

I would say team size feels best at 8, so let's do that.

Regarding prep time and locations, what is the common feeling about those? I would be willing to do locations in a fashion like we are in the comic draft if everyone wants me to, prep seems like something worth ditching though.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm in the "get rid of prep time, and do locations like in the Comic Book Draft" camp.

(For those unfamiliar, a location is given for each conference each round, and each match that round takes place there. For instance, all matches for one conference might take place on Mustafar, while the other conference might have all their matches on Korriban. Then, the next round, we could see one conference have matches take place in the Emperor's Throne Room on Death Star II, while the other conference's battles take place on Kashyyk. And so on, and so forth)

16. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    No. Then locations aren't a strategic tool, they are just random luck and ultimately could become unfair for theme-based teams.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    that's pretty much the point. they add a little randomness, and take away some slam dunks.

18. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    But...strategery...

19. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I had the same concern about locations as Akira did to be honest, it wouldn't be fair to slap a jedi team in the heart of the Valley of Dark Lords when facing off against a bunch of Sith. If I am the one doing the locations, I had already decided that I would try and pick exciting locations that are neutral in regards to benefiting either Jedi or Sith specificially.

If we want though, we can definately allow the GM's to pick the location of two fights.....and still get rid of prep time. I am open to what everyone else wants.

20. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Does the Valley of the Dark Lords give sith a boost in power?

If you're worried about that sort of thing, just do nuetral locations, can't be that hard. Or get ONE neutral location for the whole draft, so the judges at least know what the situation is. I think it makes for better judging. Or easier, at least.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    yeah ... I get that point. locations like the Valley of the Jedi, Mon Cal, Korriban, and Vong worldships probably would give some people more of an advantage than we really want. But, coming up with neutral locations shouldn't be that difficult ...

Streets of Coruscant
    Kashyyk
    Cloud City (perhaps even inside the carbon freezing chamber)
    Emperor's Throne Room from Death Star II
    Theed Palace
    Geonosis Arena
    Coronet
    Endor

22. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Then locations serve little to no purpose.

23. tulakhordpwns

tulakhordpwns Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2007

But then again, the reason she "beat" him was because she brought a crumbling tunnel down him, and they were fighting in a confined space where he couldn't fully utilize his force powers. On a nuetral ground he would win easily.

24. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I agree, if locations are all neutral, then they wouldn't really help anyone.

Evil.

25. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I somewhat disagree, but the locations need to be picked carefully.

I'd tip Anakin over Obi-Wan in a small room with no exits, for instance. In a big, sprawling complex filled with lava, the opposite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.