main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive The Galactic Senate RPG - [August] *In Session*

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Nava Kree
    Wookiee ship

"Tak. Find anything?" Nava asked, looking around the room. She was glad to see him, but he looked a bit ... stranger than she was used to seeing him. She wondered what had gone on earlier.

"Possibly," he replied. "A list of possible coordinates, a name and a piece of communication that may or may not relate to your assistant's disappearance." He checked the time stamp on the message fragment and motioned for her to come over. She walked over slowly, tugging on an ear tip. "This is newly elected Senator Sha'no Ryn, Sha'no, this is Senator Nava Kree," finished with the introductions, he turned back to Nava. Nava was nodded a greeting, but she didnt say anything, as she looked over at Tak.

"She uh, intercepted the message I sent you by mistake. A mistake for which I am responsible and humbly seek your forgiveness - I can personally vouch for Senator Ryn, as we have been acquainted in the past."

Nava tilted her head slightly as she looked at him, and then with a satisfied nod, looked back over at Tak. Not much she could do about it anyways.

Turning his eyes back to the message fragment, he clacked his tongue against the roof of his mouth. "The time frame does indeed fit with your missing assistant. Do these coordinates mean anything to you?"

Nava walked over towards the screen, and looked at the coordinates. She frowned. "Thats towards the Minos Cluster... I have been through there sometimes, on my way to the Kathol Sector when we trade." she said slowly.

He looked at his chrono. "Senator Kree, as important as it is that we find Pol alive and well, serving justice is what has called us to serve the New Republic. Our bill for the extradition of Gorgos Olian will be up for debate soon and I can think of no one better to defend our position than you. I promise I will not rest and use every avenue at my command to find Pol and return him safely to you."

Nava's face darkened at that bit of news. She could care less about the Senate. Pol..HER Pol was missing. But she knew that Pol would never forgive her, if she stopped doing what she was supposed to do, just for his sake. She mulled the decision over, her face becoming serious as she showed fangs..something she almost never did. She then looked up at Tak.

"If that is the case, then you need to know something." Nava blew out a long breath of air. "They were after ME. It seems these Pirates bit off more than they could handle in bets. They bet against me. I had some of their .. 'associates' try to sway me to lose. I turn them down. Then other group came, blew up track. Their driver didnt survive." Nava shook her head.

"So, they meant to grab me. Got Pol instead. They NEED credits, fast..." Nava looked down, frowning before she spoke again. "From what I hear, there is bounty out...on me." She looked back up, giving a viscious grin. "Always liked a challenge..."

She squared her shoulders. "If you think that best, Then I go back to Coruscant, and deal with things...BUT." Nava stared hard at Tak. "You must keep me up date on Pol. No mater what find." Nava waited for Tak's response.

Tag: Brentus, Lauren_solo

2. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    IC - Tak Vedis

"Thats towards the Minos Cluster... I have been through there sometimes, on my way to the Kathol Sector when we trade." she said slowly.

Tak made a mental note.

"If that is the case, then you need to know something." Nava blew out a long breath of air. "They were after ME. It seems these Pirates bit off more than they could handle in bets. They bet against me. I had some of their .. 'associates' try to sway me to lose. I turn them down. Then other group came, blew up track. Their driver didnt survive." Nava shook her head.

"So, they meant to grab me. Got Pol instead. They NEED credits, fast..." Nava looked down, frowning before she spoke again. "From what I hear, there is bounty out...on me." She looked back up, giving a viscious grin. "Always liked a challenge..."

She squared her shoulders. "If you think that best, Then I go back to Coruscant, and deal with things...BUT." Nava stared hard at Tak. "You must keep me up date on Pol. No mater what find." Nava waited for Tak's response.

Smiling and bowing, Tak brought his lit lightsaber up to his face in a military salute. "Since you have been so honest and forthcoming with me, I could hardly be any less with you. I hope I can trust you as you have put your trust in me. I shall not rest until Pol is safe and I shall indeed keep you updated. If there is anything extra you can add, please let me know.

"As to the current issue, please, if you would, remind the Chief Justice that his place is to interpret what the spirit of the Constitution means, not simply recite what the letter of the law prescribes. He is a wise and intelligent man; I am sure he will understand that since all the high judiciary is on Gorgos Olian's payroll, even if he receives a fair trial with a lower court, the higher courts will simply overrule it and justice, true justice of the spirit of the law will not be served. Since Bakura was a New Republic world during Olian's governorship, it is in fact our responsibility to try him in the New Republic, as he was an official of our government as well as his home planet's at the time.

"And would you please take Senator Ryn with you to Coruscant? I think opposition will be high due to the Chief Justice's initial speech and we will need all the support we can get."

He turned to Sha'no. "As much as I appreciate the help, protecting others from tyranny is very important."

Tak was unsure where to go next, other than the Minos Cluster, so he hoped Nava would have a bit more to tell him before she left.

Tag: Ktala, Lauren_solo

OOC: Saintheart, coming to get'cha. ;)

3. ForceForever

ForceForever Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2008
    2 EDIT for grammar.

IC: Bellial Del?eau

Time went by fairly quickly. Out of the fifty patents she had, only six had Bacta allergies. The others were advance cases of Pylox-W exposure.

The normal treatment for Pylox-W is Inatropine which blocks the brain?s acetylcholine receptors, and allows the Pylox-W to be broken down through natural hydrolysis.

The problem with prolonged exposure is that the Pylox-W forms covalent bonds with the acetylcholine enzymes that prevents hydrolysis.

There is no known medicinal agent that can reverse this bond. So Bellial didn?t bother looking. Instead she utilized one of her more unique skills, one not of medicine, but of the Force.

Using the Force, Bellial was able to modify the Inatropine to unbind then block the receptors enough to allow normal hydrolysis to occur. Only two of the forty four patients died due to irreparable brain damage.

The six patients that were allergic to Bacta were more time consuming. Normal Inatropine would be effective, but without Bacta to counter the Inatropine, which is poisonous in its own right, it was a fatal cure.

Bellial used healing trances to compensate for the loss of Bacta. It was slower and more tedious, but proved effective.

Forty-eight patients were on their way to recovery by the weeks end, and Bellial had another problem to deal with. The new Senate session was about to begin and she was off world.

It wouldn?t due for a new member of the Senate to miss her first session. So with her work at Coronet Medcenter finished she packed up and departed for Coruscant.

It had been a long and grueling flight, but in the end she had made it back with an hour to spare. Cleaning up and dressing fast, she made it into the pod designated for Mon Calamari just in time to hear the opening bell.
    [b]
    ?Hear ye, Hear ye! To all ye beings of the Galaxy. With this bell, the second session of the 19th Galactic Senate does hereby open for debate...
    And now, it is my honor as Deputy of the Senate to yield the floor to the Majority Leader and open debate on Senate Resolution #7, the Authorization for the Extradition of Gorgos Olian.?[/b]

A Senator stood and addressed the chamber.
    [i]
    "Coachelle would like to know what Naboo's specific interest in Bakuran affairs is, for the Senator to put this resolution forward? There seems to be something that Senator Vedis is not telling us?"[/i]

Bellial agreed with Senator Donnoc. It was curious that Senator Vedis proposed this bill, and offered to finance it himself.
    Bellial stood.

[color=seagreen]?If I may... I agree with the Senator from Coachelle. I would also like to know Senator Vedis?s reasons for proposing this bill, and I intend to ask him when I can, but for now I believe the point of this debate should be wither or not a change of venue for Gorgos Olian?s trial is relevant.?[/color]

She paused as she waited to be recognized by the floor.

[b]Tag: He who controls the Floor. I am not sure who that is. [/b]

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    OOC: Apologies for the short post, I'm gonna ease back into this.

IC: Chancellor Territha
    Senate Hall: In Session

The Chancellor's time this last month had been spent healing after the attack on her life. Medical droids had insisted on keeping her for observation for a long time and she'd been unconscious off and on for over a week. Even when they'd released her she had been told to stay in her rooms and not travel around. Security had been tightened around her as well, especially after the terrorist attacks. She'd grumbled about the added security, but after the try on her life there was nothing she could do to stop it as her administration had been insistent on Riding in the armored transport over to the Senate Hall, she had sat between two other wookiees. No longer would she be traveling with just Cate as her companion. Things were amiss in the galaxy, deeply worrying Territha.

Sitting in her chair on the Senate floor, she patiently waited for people to discuss the current bill. She'd received reports from her people informing her there was a rumble about an unconstitutional bill being presented, but she was not informed as to which bill it was. This was going to be an interesting session.

Tag: Any

5. Lauren_Solo

Lauren_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2007
    OOC: Sooo sorry for lack of posts and everything. Internet problems and school. :(

IC ? Sha?no Ryn
    Wookiee ship

Almost unable to speak, Sha?no just watched and listened to the conversation between Tak and Senator Kree. When Tak brought out his saber again, Sha?no briefly had a flash of a vision: he was very much like what she?d heard about Jedi in the long gone past. Gallant, honorable.

And then Tak said something that made Sha?no perk up. "And would you please take Senator Ryn with you to Coruscant? I think opposition will be high due to the Chief Justice's initial speech and we will need all the support we can get."

She was about to protest that she was no weakling who needed to be protected when there was danger, but then he turned to her and said, "As much as I appreciate the help, protecting others from tyranny is very important."

If it?s possible for a twi'lek to change colors, Sha?no must have gone through a rainbow on her cheeks. ?I?ll go anywhere you want, Tak,? she said quietly, hoping the Xamster wouldn?t hear. She briefly wondered if the Xamster might present competition, but then reconsidered. Once you go twi?lek, you never go back.

She also began to consider what he?d said about the current bill.

Tag: Tak, Ktala

OOC: sorry it's so short. School. :( Just write around me, I don't mind. :)

6. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    GM's OOC: The vote for SR7 will probably be on Monday. Plan accordingly. :)

-I_H

7. ForceForever

Apr 10, 2008
    IC: Bellial Del'eau

"I propose an amendment to SR#7 that should set precedent for future situations and set to rest some of the concerns the Chief Justice may have."

She keyed her pods terminal and sent the amendment to every Senator.

Amendment SR#7-1

If reasonable evidence of prejudice and/or great corruption exists against or for the defendant in the sovereign world in which the prosecution is pending that he/she or it cannot obtain a fair and impartial trial a Change of Venue can be called for.
    If such evidence exists then the Republic shall provide a Change of Venue in which a third party planet with no bias or corruption towards the defendant will hold the trial as pertaining to the prosecuting worlds laws.

Funding for the change of venue will come from the planet of origin, not to exceed the maximum amount that would have been spent on a local trial.

Senators that have nominated this Amendment are as follows Senator Sha?no Ryn, Senator Torco Bastra, and Senator Azervado Renning.

Tag: The entire Senate

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    OOC: I have returned. Let?s see if we can?t liven this thing up.

IC: Senator Jarath Natal of Nubia
    Senate Chamber

At first glance, it seemed fate had smiled on Senator Jarath Natal. He?d slipped in quietly to a session well underway, and found his outward dishevelment considerably less than it could?ve been. He was, of course, still weary and time-lagged from the long conference in Corporate Sector. It would also be some time before he could tell how PharmCorp and Industrial Automaton read his latest moves. On the bright side, though, apparently debate had been sluggish, bogged down by a number of technical details. If leaving Monesh behind to watch proceedings had therefore been a waste of talent, it at least allowed him to jump into the fray within ten minutes of arrival.

?Honored delegates, associates, and colleagues,? he started richly, ?there is indeed much here to take issue with.?

?In the first place, Nubia distances itself from the previously aired remarks critical of Chief Justice Blackstone, which we find both ungracious and factually incorrect. Further, and more substantively, I echo the concerns of Senator Fern about the inappropriate signals that would be sent by any member of this body personally funding proceedings. As the whole thrust of the Olian case shows, it is difficult to inspire public confidence in neutrality and fairness when proceedings are so clearly facilitated by one, interested party.?

?All this being the case, I find mostly problems of substance, not form. While the latter cannot be dismissed, I believe there is a compromise position that will remediate these tensions. While the full text has been forwarded to your datapads, I would like to expound on its virtues publicly for a moment, in hopes of winning your support. In short, all problems with the current legislation can be traced to its narrow scope. In light of the fact that Governor Olian was not alone in his corruption, and understanding the advisement of our intelligence services that there is continued collusion among these partners, there is not one, but several corruption trials to be held. The cooperation of all parties in these illicit actions demands charges of conspiracy.?

?Therefore, I propose the charges against Olian be appended to a primary charge of conspiracy, and only a secondary charge of corruption. Included in the conspiracy charge will be all relevant Olian appointees, most notably the relevant Bakuran judiciary. Gorgos Olian will be found the ring leader of said conspiracy. Here, we neatly side-step the constitutional issue since the accused judiciary cannot administer their own trial, forcing a change of venue to a higher court. We also deliver a greater measure of justice to the Galactic community and expedite the relief of the Bakuran people by rooting out all of their corrupt officials in one fell swoop. I will not bore you with the more technical details, but I invite you to look over them, and encourage you to offer your support, so that we can have formal consideration of this amendment. Thank you.?

Just as he spoke, his Senior Aide finished sending out the following message to the other Senators:

?Amendment SR 7-2

The formal charges against Gorgos Olian shall be changed from corruption to Conspiracy, and expanded to include all relevant members of the political apparatuses of both Gorgos Olian personally, and the Bakuran government in general, as suspected by New Republic Intelligence.

Financing shall not be handled by any private citizen, but through the normal channels of funding for judicial proceedings.?

As for Jarath himself, he busied himself penning a simple note to his occasional rival: Senator Vedis,

It seems our interests have the potential to converge after all. I?d like to explore this possibility with you further, specifically in regard to your support for HAP-B. I look forward to hearing from you.

~Jarath

The message was clear enough: time for horse-trading. It would be an interesting day.

TAG: Saintheart,

9. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    OOC: Well, well. Interesting ideas. :)

IC - Chief Justice Blackstone

The Senate Chamber,
    Coruscant

The Chief Justice slowly rubbed his chin as he read over the proposed amendments to SR 7. Usually lawyers didn't give off-the-cuff advice, but the way these proceedings were panning out - and the way political discourse in the Republic had changed in the last few weeks - "usual" no longer seemed to be the way of things.

Eventually, as a momentary lull in the debate surfaced, the Chief Justice rose to his audio pickup; there wasn't time to head down to the central podium to address the whole Senate from there. "Chancellor Territha - with your permission." When no objection was forthcoming, the Chief Justice leaned on his own lectern and looked out at the Senate once more.

"As a preliminary matter, honoured Senators, and in answer to Senator Jarath Natal,whilst this office appreciates the sentiment expressed therein, let the Senate be reassured this office neither needs nor desires the political support of the sovereign system of Nubia - nor any other star system represented here - for any of its remarks. This office exists first and foremost to protect the Constitution, and stands independent of this Senate for that purpose; indeed it must be so to maintain the appropriate checks and balances against the more ... enthusiastic amongst this assembly."

There was a particular technique judges had in addressing an audience to twist a word into the most contemptuous inflection possible, and Blackstone had a decade or so's experience in doing that.

"With the Senate's permission, I shall offer this office's observations on the two amendments proposed.

"Amendment SR 7-1, with greatest respect to the honoured author, still fails to address the fundamental unconstitutionality of SR 7. The principle at stake is the sovereign right of member systems in the Republic to govern themselves regarding their own affairs. This is sometimes referred to as the system of shared federalism. The proposition for change of venue is a just one, to be certain; those in the judiciary are not blind to the fact that prejudice for or against a defendant has the capacity to render that defendant's trial unfair.

"The fundamental difficulty lies with the lack of an agreement structure with, or consent to the practice by, the sovereign system where the crime or defendant originates from. To create a peremptory right to change venue in this Republic would have two effects as this office sees them. The first would be to immediately burden the Republic Court system with a vast quantity of applications by accused from multiple worlds to be tried in sympathetic forums. That could cause injustice in many ways. The second would be to create the potential for a diplomatic incident between the Republic government at large and the sovereign system concerned if the star system did not believe a change of venue was justified. The star system concerned would quite rightly insist that its sovereign rights to determine its affairs were being infringed upon by the Republic.

"That difficulty could be addressed by a 'consent provision' in the resolution providing that the process of change of venue was contingent upon the consent of both the Republic and the sovereign system to the change. In that scenario the Constitution would not be infringed since the sovereign system would then be ceding some of its sovereign rights to the Republic for that particular purpose. But to unilaterally create a change of venue right in the Republic is to risk infringing the Constitution."

"Honoured Senators, I now turn to SR 7-2.

"The difficulty I see with this amendment is that, to my understanding, the allegation of corruption is not one directed against the New Republic, but against the people of Bakura. That is always a matter for the judiciary of Bakura, as an arm of the sovereign government of Bakura. For the New Republic to i

10. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    OOC: Speeding time a bit, to get us back.

Nava Kree
    Leaving Wookiee ship - back to Coruscant

Tak had asked her to return to the Senate. She hated the thought of leaving the search for Pol, but he did have a point. She squared her shoulders. "If you think that best, Then I go back to Coruscant, and deal with things...BUT." Nava stared hard at Tak. "You must keep me up date on Pol. No mater what find." Nava waited for Tak's response.

Smiling and bowing, Tak suddenly brought up a lit lightsaber up to his face in a military salute. Nava bit her lip, as her eyes narrowed. A lightsword?!!! Her mind went into automatic mode as Tak spoke to her. "Since you have been so honest and forthcoming with me, I could hardly be any less with you. I hope I can trust you as you have put your trust in me. I shall not rest until Pol is safe and I shall indeed keep you updated. If there is anything extra you can add, please let me know.

Nava nodded mutely as Tak continued to speak. "As to the current issue, please, if you would, remind the Chief Justice that his place is to interpret what the spirit of the Constitution means, not simply recite what the letter of the law prescribes. He is a wise and intelligent man; I am sure he will understand that since all the high judiciary is on Gorgos Olian's payroll, even if he receives a fair trial with a lower court, the higher courts will simply overrule it and justice, true justice of the spirit of the law will not be served. Since Bakura was a New Republic world during Olian's governorship, it is in fact our responsibility to try him in the New Republic, as he was an official of our government as well as his home planet's at the time." a slight pause. "And would you please take Senator Ryn with you to Coruscant? I think opposition will be high due to the Chief Justice's initial speech and we will need all the support we can get."

As he turned to the woman, Nava looked over confused. She wasnt too pleased about having someone she didnt know with her, but she knew Tak, so she would have to trust in that. Her mind was still reeling over the fact that he had a lightsword. Was he really one of those beings so from so long ago? The twi'lek he was speaking to, didnt look to happy about what was being said, but they werent too vocal about it.

Nava turned back towards Tak, and walked closer, pulling a small device out of her clothing. "Here, you might be able to use this." she stated as she handed it to Tak. Its a locator. But its a limited range." Nava made a face, as she switched over to her native language.

<"Pol made me have implant. But I woudlnt do it... unless he got one as well. You get close enough, you find him."> Nava sighed softly. <"We're linked. But from what I've been told, they should send out a message soon."> She handed him over a cred chit. <"In case you need it."> Nava shook her head, and went back to basic speak. "Continue to the Minos Sector ..should hear something by then."

She gave a sad smile towards Tak, and then she smiled as she turned towards Senator Ryn.

"Well Senator Ryn, are you read to head back and deal with the Senate?" She gave the two a look. "I'll meet you back at my ship..."

Nava turned, and walked back to her shuttle. There she quickly dialed up the coordinates to head back to Coruscant. She noticed that her board was flooded, with new Amendements flying about the waves, being discussed, going up before Senate... Nava sighed. She wondered how she would survive without Pol next to her.

Once the Twi'lek Senator made her way on the Shuttle, Nava carefully removed her shuttle from the large Wookiee's ships, and then deftly headed her shuttle back to Coruscant.

It was with perhaps a bit of ... concern, that she flew her ship, with the reflexes of a Podracer, pushing her ship to the limits to quickly return to the counsel. She had left her bodyguard behind... not to include several meetings she had to cancel.

There would be much work for her to do when she got back, she

11. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    GM's OOC: Hate to do this with SR 7-2 just proposed, but the show must go on if we're to cover all of our agenda. Jabbawocky, I'm giving you 24 hrs to get three voters to support your amendment. If not, its not going on the ballot. If so, it will be retroactively added as soon as it gets support.

[b]IC: The Senate[/b]
    [i]Location: The Senate Chamber[/i]

From within the Chamber, a low-toned gong chimed. If any of the new Senators were confused as to its meaning, inside their handbook of Senate protocol, present at each podium, they would find: [color=red](New Text As Per E.R. #1)[/color]

[i][b]Voting On Bills:[/b] After the set amount of time has passed on the discussion of a resolution, a single gong chimes to mark the end of debate. Afterwards, a repulsorscreen lowers into the center of the chamber, on which the results for the vote will be displayed. Each seating area has a voting station present on it. Senators are to insert their ID card into the slot until the green light above the slot turns on. This means the station is active. Senators are then allowed to press three buttons. The red button corresponds to voting nay on the bill. The green button corresponds to voting yay on the bill. The yellow button corresponds to a neutral vote of abstain. Every Senator?s vote shall be catalogued within the Congressional Record. [color=red]All amendments will be voted on in the same manner as Senate Resolutions. Successful amendments shall only be passed should the original piece of legislation be passed.[/color]?[/i]

Then, as the packet said, a floating four-sided repulsor screen floated down into the middle of the chamber and began to rotate so that all the Senators could see it. On it was the following words:

[color=blue][b][u]Senate Voting Session Initiated[/u][/b][/color]
    [b]Resolution: S.R. #7 - The Extradition of Gorgos Olian[/b]

[color=green][b]Yays: 0[/b][/color]
    [color=red][b]Nays: 0[/b][/color]
    [color=yellow][b]Abstains: 0 [/b][/color]

[b]Amendment: SR #7-1[/b]

[color=green][b]Yays: 0[/b][/color]
    [color=red][b]Nays: 0[/b][/color]
    [color=yellow][b]Abstains: 0 [/b][/color]

And with that, the system was ready to accept input.

[b]TAG: ALL[/b]

[hr]
    [color=red][b]GM?s Overture:[/b][/color] Same as always. This period will end the day in-game. After voting, Senators can spend the rest of their day doing whatever they want. Meetings, Dinners, Smoozing, Whatever. Out of game, this period will last until Thursday or Friday. After the voting period is over, the next day will begin and the next resolution will be placed on the floor. As always, any questions can be PMed to me.

Thanks!
    -I_H

12. BrentusofGath

Aug 12, 2005
    IC - Tak Vedis
    Wookie ship

Tak listened carefully as Nava spoke in barter language. <"Pol made me have implant. But I woudlnt do it... unless he got one as well. You get close enough, you find him."> Nava sighed softly. <"We're linked. But from what I've been told, they should send out a message soon."> She handed him over a cred chit. <"In case you need it."> Nava shook her head, and went back to basic speak. "Continue to the Minos Sector ..should hear something by then."

She gave a sad smile towards Tak, and then she smiled as she turned towards Senator Ryn.

He nodded and smiled at her as both ladies departed, hoping they could both reach Coruscant in time to vote on the current bill.

His own ship was far too damaged to repair, but Sha'no's was salvageable, especially when a helpful astromech rolled up and offered its services with a few friendly bleeps. "You mean you're a slave here?" Tak asked quizzically. The droid beeped affirmative. "But how can that be? Droids aren't sentient," he mumbled to himself. The droid chose to argue the idea of sentient as a bigoted term against those of metallic creation. "Yup, you're sentient," Tak chuckled. "Glad to have you along."

As they worked to repair the ship, Tak tuned his datapad to the debate in the Senate. What he heard disturbed him greatly. What in the Sith Hells was the Chief Justice doing?! All that experience and wisdom were coming up craps.

The astromech continued working, but Tak was too engrossed to continue for the moment. He drafted an open letter to all the senators and the Chief Justice himself:

To all concerned,

I have heard disturbing things from our Chief Justice, the man charged with not only defending the Constitution by its letter, but also by its SPIRIT which is in many ways only his jurisdiction - as Chief Justice - to interpret. Indeed, it is his provenance to understand that the letter of the law - written by the flawed hands of sentients - is often at odds with the spirit of the law, for which it was created.

Often in law, a criminal is set free due to some technicality in the law and most judges and justices are tied down to serving the letter in letting them go. The Chief Justice, on the other hand, is in a unique position to fulfill the spirit of law, that one undeniable fact that justice, above all things, must be served and not hindered by the flawed writing of imperfect sentients. The spirit of any law is that the guilty should be punished and the Chief Justice should be well aware of this and I wager he is forgetting his responsibility to the galaxy at large.

I also find cause to dispute his own words.

'The principle at stake is the sovereign right of member systems in the Republic to govern themselves regarding their own affairs.'

Clearly the Chief Justice is saying that Bakura is still part of the New Republic which is not the case, but even assuming this were the case, then the next piece of his statement is ever more confusing...

'If the suggestion is that the conspiracy is against the New Republic at large, that is one thing. It is a crime against the Republic and this government has the power to intervene. But again the precise charge must be carefully considered. If the crime is conspiracy against the New Republic wholly constituted by conspiracy against Bakuran citizens, that is a Bakuran charge in substance and would offend against the Constitution. If the crime is simply conspiracy against the Bakuran people, that is also a Bakuran matter and for the Republic to intervene without Bakura's consent would offend against the Constitution."'

First, the honorable Chief Justice would have us believe that Bakura is part of the New Republic, then he would have us believe that a conspiracy to corrupt only affects the people of Bakura. This is erroneous, because any corruption would - and has - been felt around the entire New Republic. Not to mention the fact that if Bakura is to be considered a part of the New Republic, then a

13. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    OOC: It would be improper of me to continue commenting on the amendments while the voting is on, so Blackstone will refrain from speaking further at this point.

However, I should raise something: as I said in an earlier post, I had been posting on the presumption Bakura was in fact one of the sovereign systems of the New Republic. Hammer, what's your ruling on this?

If that is not in fact the case, and if Bakura is in fact independent of the New Republic, that would be a well-known fact and the Chief Justice's objection to the proposed SR changes, and I reserve the right to retrofit Blackstone's remarks to reflect this. That is: the New Republic's power to forcibly extradite individuals is founded on (a) a crime being committed against the New Republic and (b) the Republic's legal authority within the borders of the New Republic. The NR has no legal authority outside its own borders. To raid a system independent of the New Republic is therefore not an act of legal authority - it is an act of war. To try and use legislation to justify a declaration of war is repugnant to the principles upon which the Constitution was framed, and thus the Chief Justice objects to the bill on that basis.

As I say, that is only if Bakura is not a Republic system. If it is, then consider Blackstone's remarks unaltered.

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    IC: Senator Donnoc

Alone and reclined lazily in the Coachelle pod, Donnoc had abandoned the plucking of fluff from from his navel, long enough to page through the reams of data and received mails, and listen to the speeches of his fellow senators.

He still didn't know for sure whether Bakura was a New Republic-member world, or not, but either way, he was opposed to Senator Vedis little project. Perhaps, without Chief Blackstone's protestations, and Vedis offering to pay the costs himself, he would have missed the possible significance of the Bill.
    As it was though, and he didn't give a frag what his Party line was, he was voting Nay on that one.

At the chime, and his console lighting up, he did just that! Righty-ho, now for SR7.2.

While he waited for his screen to pull up the proposal for the Amendment by Whatserface, an interesting thought occurred. Reminded of Jaxxon's invite to do a weekend mercenary mission to 'rescue' Governor Olian, he wondered if Vedis were the mysterious client, in case the vote did not go as planned.

There was no point in asking Jaxx'; he would never reveal the identity of a client over holonet.
    Not for security, mind, but simply because Donnoc did not have a foot on his neck while he was asking.

The amendment from Senator Del'eau was phrased a little better, but the lepi didn't really want to get involved in the sticky morass of issues that Vedis had caused to erupt, and voted Nay to that as well.

Straining to sit up properly, he sat before his keyboard and typed a message to NRI:

The issue of whether a planet being named in a Senate Bill, is New Republic, or not, has arisen.
    It would perhaps be helpful, therefore, if you cover such information in your preparatory rundown.

Your servant

Senator Donnoc, Coachelle

Then, he packed up and slouched off home.

Tag: no-one

15. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    GM's OOC: This is correct. Bakura is currently a member of the New Republic. Perhaps what Brentus meant in his letter was that, by not agreeing to hand him over to the Republic, they have, in essence, chosen to cede from it? If this is the case, no formal proclamation of secession has been given by the planetary government.

16. ForceForever

Apr 10, 2008
    IC: Bellial Del'eau

Bellial listened to the Chief Justice's comments. When he was through, she stood and smoothed her dress.

"I must disagree with Chief Justice Blackstone. The Constitution states that a venue can be moved when a fair trial is not possible so long as the change is approved by the Senate, and the court of law is standardized to roughly match the quality present under normal circumstances in the home planet. (Imperial_Hammer approved Fact)

My amendment simply streamlines the process, and places the process back into the hands of the New Republic Courts System without being bogged down in the Senate."

She sat down as the chime sounded signaling the end of debate. Sliding her card into the control board she pressed the green YAY button for SR#7 and pressed it again for her own amendment.

TAG: Senate

OOC: I know debate ended but I was having Internet problems and couldn't respond. If Hammer objects then please disregard my arguments.

17. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Nava Kree
    Aboard the Thorn, - back to Coruscant

Once the Twi'lek Senator made her way on the Shuttle, Nava carefully removed her shuttle from the large Wookiee's ships, and then deftly headed her shuttle back to Coruscant. She had left her bodyguard behind... not to include several meetings she had to cancel. And now, her board was lit up with ammendments to vote on.

She checked her communications link, and read the bills...

[Senate Voting Session Initiated
    Resolution: S.R. #7 - The Extradition of Gorgos Olian

Amendment: SR #7-1]

Nava quickly read the bills over. She missed the debates, but she could still vote. She quickly voted,

YAY to both bills, and then cleared her screen. She turned towards the Twi'lewk Senator.

"There are two bills up for vote now. If you wish, you can vote from my system here if you wish. It is secure." she said softly, as she sat back down towards the pilots seat, and looked out into the stars, thinking about what would happen next.

Tag: Lauren_solo, any who send any messages....

18. BrentusofGath

Aug 12, 2005
    CoGM's OOC: I was told a while back - not by I_H - that Bakura was once a New Republic world, but that it was no longer, so that's what I was going by. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the clarification, Hammer. BTW, awesome new colors.

19. Lauren_Solo

Lauren_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2007
    IC ? Sha?no Ryn
    space

Sha?no stared out at the large ship as they left, just thinking about Tak being safe and getting to the bottom of the disappearance.

"There are two bills up for vote now. If you wish, you can vote from my system here if you wish. It is secure."

The Xamster senator startled Sha?no for a moment, but she smiled in reply. ?Thank you, I think I will.?

Inserting her datacard, Sha?no accessed the secure node and voted Yay on everything, the bill and amendment/s. ?When do you think we will arrive on Coruscant?? she asked after she was finished voting. ?Do you think Senator Tak can rescue your friend??

Tag: Ktala

20. BrentusofGath

Aug 12, 2005
    IC - Tak Vedis
    hyperspace

The Minos Sector was coming up quickly. Exiting his meditation, Tak watched as normal space engulfed the viewscreen, throwing inky darkness all around him. With subspace communications restored, he attempted to log into the secure Senate node and was surprised to find an amendment to his bill.

He quickly voted Yay on both and then brought out the small transmitter Nava had given him, hoping for something, anything.

Tag: Ktala

[b]IC - Ashil Furn[/b]
    [i]Senate chamber[/i]

Ashil hurried from her booth, hoping the find the conservative leader [b]Zaller[/b] still within the chamber. She wanted to ask if her message had been received and if he was interested in some compromise...

[b]Tag: Hammer[/b]

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    IC: Senator Jarath Natal of Nubia
    Senate Chamber

?We weren?t able to do it. It was introduced too late, and the other Senators were in too much disarray for us to make the approval deadline on the amendment,? the Senior aide pronounced solemnly.

Jarath sighed wistfully, then turned to Monesh and said, ?How does this play??

?Your reputation takes something of a hit. Of course you knew that when you authorized an all out push,? Monesh replied, his characteristic drawl tinged with a bit of I-told-you-so. ?On the other hand, you?ll get credit for putting it out there, especially if the pundit class gets hold of it, and decides that it was the most effective solution. But that requires the whole rest of the bid to fail.?

Jarath bit his lip. ?Curse Vedis. He fouled all of this up.? There was a long silence in the pod, and an uneasy look hung on the Senior Aide?s face. ?There?s something else, Gemamu??

?Polling numbers have come in. The population is just as opposed to the alternative food bill as they were to the last.?

Skipping the obvious point about the nonsensical nature of that result, Natal jumped to its implications, ?Mheri had internal polling on that point before he agreed to help us. Sponsoring the bill, he knew we?d have no choice but to alienate the populace.?

?That, in turn, collapses our independent base and forces us to rely on one of the two corporations for support. Meanwhile, because this was all prefaced by your expansion, PharmCorp easily distances itself from controversial legislation of which it is the biggest single benefactor,? Gemamu finished.

?There?s another alternative: We use this maneuver to make ourselves a powerhouse on Coruscant. If the political elite is our independent base, we can just as easily pry away from Mheri?s grasp,? Monesh offered. Or was that Aduzi?

Jarath inserted his ID card with a transient sense of bitterness. At this moment, he refused to chase the mice darting about in his skull. Perhaps he?d been outmaneuvered. Regardless of whatever else was lost on him, though, his present course of action was clear. He pressed NAY to both the resolution and its accompanying amendment. He took note of the author of the latter, though, who seemed to be clever. That?d be one worth contacting.

TAG: Any

22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Chancellor Territha
    Senate Hall[/b]

The wookiee sat in her chair listening intently as the Senators discussed the latest bill. She nodded to Chief Justice Blackstone as he asked her permission to take the floor and settled back to hear what he had to say. Her aides had been unable to figure out what it was that he was going to speak about and this concerned her. The Chief Justice should be working closely with her, but seemed to be quite secretive.

After hearing about the unconstitutional qualities on SR 7 and the amendments, the Chancellor nodded her agreement.

[We cannot let this bill pass, can we? Much dissension this will cause if it goes through.]

No Mistress, you cannot. The people of the Republic are not going to like a heavy hand in dealing with crimes or decisions that should be the planets. You do not want to be seen as a dictator, my my my, that would be horrible!

[Easy, Cate, I won't allow that to happen. We will need to keep an eye on the author of the bill however, perhaps their ambitions are a little too high.] Narrowing her furry brow, the Chancellor hit the red NAY button as the options appeared on her screen.

Tag: any

23. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    GM's OOC: Last call for votes. We're moving on to SR #8 this evening (say in about 5-6 hrs).

-I_H

24. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    IC: Torco Bastra
    Torco's party

Torco had been mingling with the guests for a couple of hours, talking with friends, relatives, and other guests. Torco began heading to the stage to make his speech and take the party to a close.

Alan was at the stage when he arrived. "Senator, your going to on live feed, so that our people on Bellassa can watch you make your speech. Here is your speech." Alan handed Torco a phlimsi and walked onto the stage. Torco nodded his thanks, and followed him onto the stage, and sat down on the chair.

Alan activated the mic, and spoke into it. "Lady's and Gentlemen, may I have your attention please. Senator Bastra would like to say a few words before we bring this party to a close." Alan stepped back from the mic, and Torco took his place to speak.

"Good evening, I would like to thank you all for coming, and celebrating the freedom of my homeworld with me." Torco began. "Everyone talks about freedom, but you don't really know what it truly is until you have been oppressed, or imprisoned. When my people freed Bellassa from the hands of the Imperials we tasted what freedom really was, what it really meant to be free." Torco turned the page over. "I would like to take a moment to remember some of the heroes who played a great part in freeing Bellassa. Ferus Olin, Trever Flume, Roan Lands, and many others." Torco stopped and bowed his head for a few seconds. Torco lifted his head and finished his speech. "I want to thank you all again for coming, and wish you all a good night. Enjoy the rest of the Party."

Torco stepped back, bowed and walked down off the stage. After everyone left, Torco went home and went to bed.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Senate chamber

Torco woke up the next morning tired and exhausted, but that didn't stop him from doing his job. Torco got dressed, ate breakfast, and went to the senate.

Torco sat and listened to the other senators speak, he would have said something if he hadn't been so tired. Before he knew it, the debate had come to an end, and it was time to vote. Torco inserted his ID, and hit the Nay button, as much as he wanted to say yay it was against the constitution, and it would have been invading someone else is privacy, and he couldn't go against his own planet.

Tag: anybody

OOC: sorry I didn't have this up sooner, my RL was busy, but has slowed back down, I will do my best to get back into regular posting.

25. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    GM's OOC: Since I didn't hear anything about the 2nd Amendment to the bill, its not on the docket. Votes include my own as Zaller.

[b]IC: The Senate[/b]
    [i]Location: Coruscant[/i]

Slowly the clocked ticked down, as the voting period moved to a close. The floating repulsor-screen looked as follows:

[color=blue][b][u]Senate Voting Session Closed[/u][/b][/color]
    [b]Resolution: S.R. #7 - The Extradition of Gorgos Olian[/b]

[color=green][b]Yays: 5 - *PASSES*[/b][/color]
    [color=red][b]Nays: 4[/b][/color]
    [color=yellow][b]Abstains: 0[/b][/color]

[b]Amendment: SR #7-1[/b]

[color=green][b]Yays: 5 - *PASSES*[/b][/color]
    [color=red][b]Nays: 4[/b][/color]
    [color=yellow][b]Abstains: 0[/b][/color]

[b]TIME REMAINING: 00 hrs: 01 mins[/b]

Then finally the minute elapsed and the voting closed. It was a very close resolution, not helped by a lower than usual turnout. The one or two approved reporters moved to take up the results and by the evening they were transmitted to the galaxy at large.

One of the reports for the night was from a defiant Gorgos Olian. He condemned the Senate for their tyranny, and vowed not to leave Bakura, for the sake of democracy and his people. Media reports showed no signs of protests or military movements around the planet, though local papers had more officials speaking highly for Olian. A commentary in the Coruscant Herald flimsycast mentioned as to how the Olian's government is waging an furious PR battle against the Galactic condemnation of their governor.

[hr]
    [hr]
    Day passed to Night and Night passed into Day again.

The next day of legislation arrived. Over the night, the Police has set up a makeshift security checkpoint to process any interested reporters and onlookers. Unfortunately for the Senators, they were not immune to this screening process. As crowd trickled into the Senate, the repulsorscreen had moved back up to the ceiling, and the Deputy of the Senate could be seen again, standing near the speaker?s podium.

There were the typical scattered crowds of Senators on the floor, talking privately to each other. The last vote was very close, and with the governor not backing down, it looked like sanctions were likely. In the relatively peaceful position that the galaxy was in, this was big news.

An electronic chime rang, signaling that the next debating period was ready. The eyes of the Senators drifted back to the Deputy in the center.

[b]Hear ye, Hear ye! The floor is now open for debate on Senate Resolution #8, the Food Security Initiative. I hereby yield the floor to the Majority Leader and to the first Senator to speak on the Bill.[/b]

The man stepped back and the Majority Leader assumed his position. The empty podium beckoned to be taken.

[hr]

For the reference of the Senators, the briefing on the bill was present in their daily docket.

[b][u]Senate Resolution #8[/u][/b]

[b]Bill Title:[/b] Food Security Initiative

[b]Author:[/b] Senator Jarath Natal of Nubia

[b]Co-Author:[/b] Chancellor Territhia of Kashyyk

[b]Contents:[/b] This bill proposes the use of governmental purchasing power to affect a food surplus via manipulation of market forces. Farmers will be offered a special government price to produce staple crops that is fully disarticulated from normal market prices. By thus increasing the profitability, increased production will be encouraged without causing long term disturbances in food prices for the average consumer.

Food purchased by the government under this initiative will be re-directed to the general populace. Pre-existing food aid and distribution programs will receive 60% of the purchased food. The remaining 40% will be converted into non-perishable form and reserved for use in disaster relief efforts.

[b]Funding:[/b] Funded by restructuring existing budgets of the welfare programs and the Ministry of Agriculture. Any shortfall will be covered by deficit spending.

[b]Implementation:[/b] The unit price of the governmental purchases described above, while always hi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.