main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Golden Age Cafe

Discussion in 'Community' started by Son of Kenobi, Sep 17, 2000.

1. Old Republic Royalty

Old Republic Royalty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 1998
    You know what's the strangest thing?
    Whenever I come back I just type in my password without even really having to think... I was here WAY too much...

I'm trying to get ahold of you on ICQ. I'm at a VERY VERY VERY boring part time job right now, so I'm trying to talk to people on-line (there is NOTHING else to do). SO, since I'll have this job all semester.... :) I might actually stick around...

How's life with you?

2. Old Republic Royalty

Dec 23, 1998
    I sorcha... no, I hardly remember people who WERE old timers when I was here...

Have you heard from NNN, SoK? It's been a couple of months since I talked to him...

Well, I think I'll just sit back in this couch, drink some coffee (cream, no sugar), and catch up the with the Jedi council...

What's with the face lift?

3. Darth Mal

Darth Mal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 1999
    I remember you, ORR.

4. Old Republic Royalty

Dec 23, 1998
    I can't believe they're still having the "definition of a newbie" debate. Some things never change. I remember when I had to defend my newbie status.... in 1998... LOL! Well, every type of club has to have some ways of designating social status... Why should this be any different?

Which, btw, for those who actually remember me, is why I frequently disappear. I have trouble getting into the *status* aspect of the board. All the energy that is wasted while people try to assert that they are all cooler than each other. Seems silly on a bulletin board (not that everyone here does it). But, I miss the conversations, debates, and dance halls!

5. Son of Kenobi

Son of Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 1998
    Life is going well, I had actually taken time off from this place for 3 months, so I know what it's like to come back in. Yeah, I'm not too fond of Snowboards, but there are some pluses--the .sig, user-profile, Private Messaging--but I miss smileys....

NNN I haven't heard from in awhile, he's been MIA, too, but I heard from Meave that he was getting a new computer, so that may have to have something to do with it.

Anyway, here's your coffee, and glad you're sticking around! :)

6. Son of Kenobi

Aug 21, 1998
    Yeah, I don't blame you for disappearing because of that ... it makes coming here tedious, at times. It's frustrating, too, because the arguments are so cyclical, it's the *same*
    debate that gets recycled every few months, so I stay out of it. I'm out of the loop anyway, there's a bunch of newbies that were elected admins, well, newbies relative to me, lol.

7. sorcha

sorcha Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, if you did have any idea who I was, I would be extremely surprised considering I only started using this username a week or so ago.

When does someone cease being a newbie, BTW?

8. Zasio

Zasio Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2000
    Ya wa wa wa wah!

9. Old Republic Royalty

Dec 23, 1998
    Don't know about the newbie thing... I guess I am one again, since I dont' know crap about this place no more....

DAMN, this job is DULL....
    :)

10. Darth Mal

May 31, 1999
    "When does someone cease being a newbie, BTW?"

I don't think you'll never know. I've been here for 14 months (actively posting for about 8 months) so I don't consider myself a newbie, but some older members, who try use their longevity here as a tool against newer members, still do.

11. Old Republic Royalty

Dec 23, 1998
    About which, Pyrus? The reasons for leaving?

If I remember correctly, you're a comer and goer too.... We are a fine breed!
    :)

12. sorcha

sorcha Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2000
    Nah, I don't suppose there is a set time when you shed your "newbie-ness." Probably wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

I've been posting here a little over a year...I don't really consider myself a newbie now. But, I didn't really consider myself a newbie when I first started posting, so it's obvious that I am commonly in denial.

13. Darth Mal

May 31, 1999
    When you've been here longer than some of the admins, I think should be no more considered a newbie.

14. Old Republic Royalty

Dec 23, 1998
    Who are the admins now?

15. Old Republic Royalty

Dec 23, 1998
    Oh, si... that's another reason it's hard to stay, Pyrus... too much work to learn the new *system.*

16. Old Republic Royalty

Dec 23, 1998
    A much better way, I'm sure...

Well, 'night alls. Now I go to my NEXT job...
    Hopefully I be back sometime before my handle is finally erased or lost...

...... :) <---I always liked smiley's better when they were plain anyway!

17. Ewan's daughter

Ewan's daughter Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 1999
    <"Native Endorian Womprats Battling Iguanodons Everywhere" - LOL!>

Hello everyone and Modal ;)!
    Reading about World War I is very depressing (but very interesting at the same time), so I'd thought I'd take some time off studying and come in here...and am very lucky to have found this thread because I don't really visit (or rather, post) a lot at the JC. SoK, you rock. I love how you never make anyone feel left out and create a friendly atmosphere in here. :) Actually I wanted to say that for a long time but just never got the chance...well anyway...have to go back to the mundane life of a highschooler now. *sigh*

<Edit: D-oh!! posted under the wrong name. *uneasy* Umm, uh, I've never been here, *imitates Qui-Gon and try to do the Jedi-mind trick on all of you*>

18. Darth Mal

May 31, 1999
    I don't know all the admins. It seems like we get new ones each week and I haven't heard of some of them.

From what I currently remember:
    PB
    BoB
    DL
    howlrunner22
    jasman
    YTAP
    Vertical
    darthcleo
    and some others...

Hathor, Captain Antilles, Chyren and clerk retired. Lord Chewy was one for a short while.

19. Son of Kenobi

Aug 21, 1998
    Well, the way I look at it (as far as the "newbie" question goes) is that, in general, when you've gotten used to this place and its odd folkways and contributed somehow, the "newbie" factor goes away, which is why some people (like Son of the Songs, epic, Hathor, PreacherBoy, shine, for instance) no longer seem like newbies, but others, who are not particularly at ease here, seem like perpetual newbies. After a certain point, it becomes a subjective and relative question.

Basically, if you don't "feel" like a newbie, odds are you aren't.

And that's not to say that if someone is a newbie that they have nothing to contribute or
    *shouldn't* contribute ... by all means they definitely NEED to! We were all newbies once, after all, ;-)

But, since I've been around so long, most people are newbies to me ... and that's not a reflection on their contributions or merit, or make me view them as any less .. I think it's because I'm an older brother in RL and remember when my sis was born ... I remember when most of the "regs" first began posting, a lot of people who are considered "oldies" I still consider newbies, because I remember them when they wuz cute and widdle, ;-) But, again, that's no reflection on them, it's just a personal view, and I certainly do not feel superior to them.

Whoa, that was a long explanation....

(p.s. thanks Scotch_frisky! (aka Ewan's daughter), I appreciate your words, :) And welcome you to this new cafe! :D)

20. Darth Mal

May 31, 1999
    "...I remember them when they wuz cute and widdle..."

Awwwww! ;)

21. Son of Kenobi

Aug 21, 1998
    Even *you* Darth Mal, ;-) lol, j/k

Actually, I've always seen you stand up for what you believe in, and admired that, and you came in with a pretty "hedonistic" wave of members with a lot of "Darths" in them, too and you've outlasted most of them. That says a lot.

22. Darth Mal

May 31, 1999
    Thanks, Sok. I think the reason I'm still around is because I've left a couple times for periods of months. Because of that, I haven't been overwhelmed with this place.

23. Darth Mal

May 31, 1999
    LOL, Pyrus.

24. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    Hi, ORR. :)

Yeah, I don't get into the debates much. I just sit in cafes and complain about all the young'uns. lol At any rate, there's still a few of us around, and I still have a good time. Mostly I hang out in Lit and sort of semi-lurk here in Comm. Maybe I oughta start a fanfic, after all....

25. Son of Kenobi

Aug 21, 1998
    You're welcome, Mal.

LOL, Pyrus. I was raised by Gonks, whaddaya expect? ;-)

Yo, J-Guy! Hey a fanfic, that'd be cool, dude!