main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Halo Novels

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Sanctimoniously, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    Forbidden Planet...I love that shop. When I was in London a few weeks back, I had a ball in there. :)

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - they are expensive but it is a neat shop. I always spend a lot when I go there.

3. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    The Halo novels are all right, but the games are much better. Nylund does an okay job, but his prose lacks in key areas, and is overall inconsistent. Deitz's adapttion was riddled with cardboard characters. The game's awesome action felt lifeless on the page. That's partially why I'm glad there's no version of Halo 2.

Ghosts of Onyx seemed to be an excuse why the other Spartans weren't involved in Halo 2 and probably won't factor in the third game . . .

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I finally got the new novel. Amazon UK was constantly out of stock with it and I couldn't find it locally so I put an order in on Amazon.com for it and a few SW TPBs that were also out of stock (or not published yet) on the UK site. They all came today. Now I just have to find time to read the book!

5. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I keep hearing about these books and im so curious now. I might just pick one up. Where is a good place to start.

6. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    ^Start with Fall Of Reach, it has the entire history of the Halo universe and the Master Chief and follows every event before the start of the first game.

7. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    This was my opinion as well. Also, there were quite a lot of typos in Nylund's books.

8. bluenote421

bluenote421 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2006
    Ive read the first three. is ghosts of onyx worth picking up?

9. cbrowns4812

cbrowns4812 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 27, 2005
    I decided against reading "The Flood" simply because I had already experienced that story by playing the game. Novelizing games directly strikes me as a bad idea. I prefer the other novels since they supplement the games. I like to think that whatever actions I took in the game are what happened in the storyline, not how some author decides how it should be.

On a side note, did anyone else think that even the little descriptions of Blue Team's exploits during Halo 2 were actually far more exciting than anything Master Chief or the Arbiter did? I mean, they got to nuke a Covenant base in the arctic! All I remember from Halo 2 is running down purple hallways, firing at dumb zombies.

10. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Those 'dumb zombies' constantly kicked my butt, brown. o_O Not to mention that the MC is in a perfect position to kill the last Prophet (looks like he's gonna fail but still . . .) Plus the Arbiter had to stop the equilvalent of a galactic-wide nuking, so I'm somewhat satisfied.

I do agree with your point about the game novelization. Dietz's take on the game was lifeless and frankly a bit of an insult to the actual game. There were a couple of comedic moments that had me chuckling but most of them were already in the game.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm unlocking this and upping it with news of a new Halo novel due out at the end of October in the US. (Not sure about the UK). The October Locus magazine had an ad for Halo: Contact Harvest. You can check it out here on Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.