main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    A 45 minute scene of the dwarves washing dishes at Bilbo's house after dinner.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Theyll make it slow motion when Thorin goes to attack the guy at the end, making it even more laughable than it would be at normal speed.

Oh.

harpuah and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wait -- The second film's acronym is TDOS? TDOS?

TDOS!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mortimer Snerd, tom, eht13 and 2 others like this.
  4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    N
    S
    E
    Dennis

Ender_Sai likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Smaug's eye will open at the end inducing a 37 minute long drug trip in the vein of the last 20 or so minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Or this

harpuah likes this.
  7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'll see your :D :D :D, and raise you a [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]!!!

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    is it weird that i actually think that's too long? i like the behind the scenes production stuff but if this is footage from the actual film i don't think i want to see that much of it ahead of time.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, but this is The Hobbit. Twenty minutes is only like 1% of the movie.

11. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    When has Peter Jackson ever made anything "too long?"

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I agree with that. I mean, I didn't even care to see the first six minutes or whatever of TDKR when they put it out there.

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, I kinda agree with you on this one... 20 minutes' worth of a preview is a bit too long. Maybe that's just a rumour, though? The article was pretty vague about it, didn't actually cite anyone competent about the preview length.

Now I wouldn't mind a 5-10 minute long trailer/preview... :D

EDIT: Or maybe those 10-20 include behind-the-scenes footage or snippets of interviews with cast and crew? So that the 10-20 minute sneak-peek only contains a smaller amount of actual finished footage?

14. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    That'll be it. Like the webdocs, but with added film footage. The behind-the-scenes stuff will certainly be loaded with teases, too.

15. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    5 minutes is the max for me. Unless it's in IMAX.

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't want to see long stretches of films (including the 7-minute Star Trek bit) before they're released. I just want to see well-put-together trailers that make me freak out about why isn't it here yet.

Yoda_S and MistrX like this.
  17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Jesus, how have you people wrung 166 pages of discussion out of so bad a film? The LOTR trilogy thread can't have done many more pages.

18. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    The movie wasn't great but it wasn't bad either.

It was like 3 hours of setup.

Problem is people are all comparing it to the original LOTR, which it never will be. Also seems to be marketed towards younger kids than the original trilogy.

19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    So's the book :p

black_saber likes this.
  20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm glad they've moved the third film to the December spot. I don't think the market could have taken two Hobbit films six months apart, particularly if the quality of the films doesn't improve. With Hobbit hitting the billion mark and assured to do well on video, I don't know if Jackson has any incentive to try to rework the project, streamline a bit, tidy it up. The first film was such a bloated mess. It's an almost perfect clone of the TPM phenomenon. The first film of the prequel trilogy is visually striking but has an uninspiring story with some really bad ideas thrown into the mix. Yet it makes a killing at the box office because of the goodwill pent up for years by the excellence of the OT. The director/writer makes some cosmetic changes in the second film to try to address some of the criticism, yet the decisions made at the outset undermine many efforts to improve the trilogy. Reshoots and editing can only accomplish so much, given the immense time pressures.

With fan goodwill stripped away from the brand, the second prequel is a relative flop, likely still commercially successful but nothing like the box office champion of its predecessors. With the third film, fans bootstrap themselves into a sense of nostalgia and force themselves to shell out the bucks to close out the experience. The last movie again makes a killing, but disappointment among the fans will linger for years.

The end.

21. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I only have three websites bookmarked and theonering.net isn't one of them. Maybe it should be, but I still get all my nerd news here. Just now I learned they nixed the plan for a summer release of the third film, so yay.

Also, the movie really wasn't that bad.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  23. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Nerd points for "Some have beards". But I haven't yet seen a portrait of an elvish beard that looks right. Google searching CĂ­rdan gives goatees and wizard beards, not something that would fit for a very old elf.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That's the point, the book was marketed towards kids as well, so it would make sense for the movie as well

eht13 likes this.
  25. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Eh, I liked it.

Barriss_Coffee and eht13 like this.