main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hothlanta Rebels Official Gab Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Minacia_Brightstar, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WedgeAntilles1

WedgeAntilles1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2002
    My Wal-Mart just put out a whole case of Wave 14 figs!!! :D My friend got me a Coleman Trebor! All of the Wat Tambors were gone when he got there though! [face_shocked]

2. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Techno? Please tell me that you didn't think this up? If so? You are a warped man. 8-}

That was hilarious!

As for who would win between Starbuck and Han Solo? Han, hands down. But Starbuck would get more women before he died! [face_love]

Wedge, sorry to hear that your search for Wat Tambors was a bust. At least you guys get new figures. There is a serious dirth of new stuff where I shop. Of course, I don't help them move any product, but I do enjoy looking at them.

3. Technoviper

Technoviper Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    I can't take credit for it, Paula... it's just one of those many bizarre things caught in the World Wide Web....

Ah yes... Starbuck is more a lover than a fighter...

...But I had no idea that Wat Tambor was so wanted... he must feel very special... He is kinda cute, though... I saw one on the web for sale... only $34.99 :eek:

4. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    LOL @ Technoviper! [face_laugh]

I'd have to say Han would win.

I've always been a Han gal. [face_love] ;)

5. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    Getting set for Halloween:

Because I'm on a cane right now, I can't move quickly enough to chase little children down and steal their candy, as per my usual Halloween practice, so I'm forced to have more indoor-oriented activities.... My friend Amanda has invited a motley crew over to her house tomorrow to watch "Resident Evil" and drink Zombies (yipe!)...

My reccommended Halloween Movie Viewing List:

1) Frailty - All too creepy, with the best ending...

2) Casper (the first one - which has the best string of cameos I've ever seen, from Mel Gibson to father Guido Sarducci)

3) The Horror Of Dracula - A crowing jewel in the Hammer horror collection. Christopher Lee is the best Dracula EVER. Peter Cushing also stars as Van Helsing.

4) The Eye - Chinese movie, very creepy, think "Ringu" and "The Sixth Sense". STRONGLY reccommended. A girl who's been blind since the age of two gets a transplant that allows her to see... and see things... not of this world....

5) The Haunting - The original, not the sorry remake. Definitive haunted house movie, fairly new to DVD.

6) The Innocents - Grace Kelly stars in this adapation of "Turn of the Screw". Very good, very creepy. If you can find it.

7) The Mummy - Probably my favorite of the old Universal horror classics. It's so incredibly haunting. Reccommended.

8) Poltergiest - I saw this again earlier this year, and was shocked at how good it is.

9) Army of Darkness - "Shop smart. Shop S-Mart."

10) The Exorcist - For my money, still king of the creepy heap.

Any further suggestions?

6. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    I am not a fan of modern horror movies. I get enough creepiness in my life.

But I am definitely a fan of the old horror flicks.

Creature from the Black Lagoon

Frankenstein (with Boris Karloff)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the original)

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

The Invisible Man

The Mummy (the original)

and my all time favorites:

Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man

Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy

7. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    Ohhhh, I know what you mean, I'm not too big a fan of most modern horror, except for a few. There are good ones out there. I love the Abbott and Costellos too... my favorite is "Abbott an Costello meets Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" -- with Boris Karloff.

I think that's why we can't get rid of guys like Freddy Kreuger and Jason Vorhees and the like. They can make sequels with these guys until the end of time. But it didn't used to be that way. In the old days, all you had to do to get rid of a monster once and for all was have the monster go up against Abbott and Costello. I mean, just imagine it: "Abbott and Costello meet Freddy Krueger". "Abbott and Costello at Camp Crystal Lake". "Abbott and Costello Know What You Did Last Summer". I love it!

BTW -- Jack Elam has died. You may not know the name, but I'll bet you know the face, especially if you like old movies. He usually got to play the big mean guy or the harmless drunk guy or the big mean drunk guy. :p

Here's a quote from an interview in 1977:

The heavy today is usually not my kind of guy. In the old days, Rory Calhoun was the hero because he was the hero and I was the heavy because I was the heavy ? and nobody cared what my problem was. And I didn't either," he added. "I robbed the bank because I wanted the money ... I've played all kinds of weirdos but I've never done the quiet, sick type. I never had a problem ? other than the fact I was just bad."

8. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    Hey, doesn't Hayden's new movie open this weekend? 'Shattered Glass', is it? Where he's a reporter?

9. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Shattered Glass is in limited release this weekend, but I don't think it was Atlanta. I think it was Chicago and Los Angeles.

I think it opens November 7th.

Also opening November 7th is "Love Actually," with Liam Neeson. I'm really intrigued by that one, as well. First movie I've been excited about in a long time.

10. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    "Love Actually" has a very interesting cast. Liam Neeson, Rowan Atkinson, Kiera Knightley are just a few of the noteworth actors that are in that movie.

I'll probably go see it sometime soon. :)

11. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    I... am... in... HEAVEN....!

Ann

By far the coolest thing I've seen... since the talking R. Lee Ermey doll....

12. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Mmmmmmmmm...Keira Knightley. [face_love]

13. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    Heh...

I take it that you tuned in to "Dr. Zhivago", then?

I gotta agree though. Kiera is just about cute enough to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window.

14. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    *opens door and waves hand through cobwebs as I walk in*

Helloooooo?

15. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Okay...who caught "Love Actually" this weekend? Sadly, for the Kiera Knightley fans, she wasn't in terribly much of the film. And sadly for the Liam Neeson fans, he wasn't in much of the film.

Still, nice to see both of them in a modern role. You forget that they can be "normal."

I can't find if Shattered Glass is playing here in Atlanta. Anyone seen it?

16. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    I saw Shattered Glass this last weekend, and I gotta say that I was impressed. Really liked it. One of the reasons that I liked it was that unlike other movies about sleazy, unlikeable real-life characters (Blow, The People vs. Larry Flynt,and so forth), this movie actually showed it's sleazy character as a sleazy character, and not a post-modern hero and rebel and all that crap. Plus Hayden is really good in it. Go see it.

17. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    And what's all this nonsense about Christopher Lee being cut out of "Return of the King"? Say it ain't so, Pete!

18. WedgeAntilles1

WedgeAntilles1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2002
    KB toys just put out a few of the newer figures They had a couple of Wat Tambors(got one! :D), couple of Aalaya Securas, couple of Wedding Padmes, Lots of the Younglings, and the Emperor. The guy their said that they were getting some new Star Wars stuff in tommorrow so I'm gonna see if I can go back.

19. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Where did you see Shattered Glass? I'm too lazy to look it up, myself.

And it's been so nice to see that the stores are getting new stuff in stock. Apparently, they finally had a Hasbro rep work her way through and do some exchanges.

I keep trying to clue in the toy store managers that if they'd just rotate the stock with the cases they have in the storeroom, they'd move better. But they insist on opening one case and waiting for those to sell.

You'd think they'd have figured this out, by now?

Oh...and did everyone go pick up the Luke on Tauntaun now that TRU has it marked down to $31?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.