main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Land of Middle Earth: Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit.

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    No introduction nessessary for these books, I think. J.R.R. Tolkien's massive and wonderful epic about a Ring the end of the world and something like that. ;)

Who's a fan?

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm starting to reread the books on the 9th again.

3. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    I think that the LOTR triology is not half as good as the Hobbit. But yeah Tolkien is a great writer.

4. padawanlissa

padawanlissa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I read and really enjoyed the Hobit.

5. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    the hobbit is a great book! in a different league to the LOTR trilogy though, but much easier to read.

6. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    Hobbit is really meant for small children, but it's a good book just like the LOTR books. I like the Silmarilion as well. It's a great epic, although I found the chapter on geography dry. I think I'll skip it when I reread it. The last time I think I read these books was September 2004. I want to reread them again, but I've got a few other books that I haven't read yet and want to get to.

7. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    I'm currently reading 'The Hobbit' for the first time ever. I got the whole set for X-mas (Box-set: Hobbit, FOTR, TTT, ROTK paperbacks). I only seen the EE movies about a million times and was interested in reading the books. I'm up to chapter 5 so far. Its allright..a bit too simple and kiddie, and random for my tastes but quite interesting though honestly I can't wait till I get to FOTR.

8. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I've reading and rereading LOTR at least once a year for the last 20 years and I never get tired of it.

Yes, my name is Goldilocks and I'm Tolkien addicted.

(But here I dwell under my jedi sock :D ).

9. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    You've forgotten about The Silmarillion.
    That's my favourite Tolkien's book.

10. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I need to get them one day. I read them ages ago, hated the LOTR films so much I didn't even bother watching them again, and now can't remember details and such. I did like them when I read them though, The Hobbit moreso than LotR.

11. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Hobbit is not a bad book, but LOTR trilogy is somewhat deeper, the story is more developed.

12. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Yeah, but if you're reading it when you're 9 you don't understand it nearly as much :p

13. Jacen-Vader

Jacen-Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2005
    The Hobbit is very good and easy to read. The LOTR Trilogy is a little hard, but very good too. I'm a fan of all the Literature about Arda, and all this.

14. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I like the Hobbit because it reminds me of simpler times. Times before the War of the Ring. Kinda makes me sad.

15. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    The Hobbit was the first book I can remember reading by myself. It's always going to have a special plce in my heart :) I just love that whole buried treasure adventure story feel the book has to it.

16. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I'm in the process of reading them for the first time. I'm on RotK.

17. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005

It was my 'first' book too. :)

18. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Another self-described Hobbit Jedi here. ;) I was a fan of the books way before the movies came out... I wish I could just enjoy the movies as they are instead of nitpicking everything :p Fine, take stuff out-- but if you actually change what is book canon, don't be surprised if people cringe unconsciously :p

19. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    I've read the Hobbit, the trilogy and Silmarillion about four times, not to mention browsing, looking for something or just to brush up.

I'm quite a Tolkien freak and a pure purist... Be aware [face_hypnotized]

You've guessed already that I didn't like the films?

20. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i had problems with parts of the film, too, but i also loved *seeing* things.

i have massive love for the books. he's a master.

LOTR just hints at things which lurk under the surface. and the silmarillion gives this huge backstory of how the place came to be. magnificient.

21. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Has anyone here read The Tales from Perilous Realms? There are some songs from the Red Book of Hobbits. Songs about Middle Earth and also about Tom Bombadil. Truly brilliant.

22. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Barnes and Noble University used to offer a Tolkien course. It was excellent and I have the documents somewhere. Maybe they will offer it again.

I haven't seen the movies yet (ok, a few scenes here and there) but when I heard that they cut out Tom Bombadil I was disgusted! [face_frustrated] Tom Bombadil is like freakin' Santa Claus! And he always shows up just when they need him.

23. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    @Jada have you read The Silmarillion? There is sort of an explenation of who Tom really is. It seems he is "older that the time and the world". Cool character, huh? :)

24. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    I haven't read it . . . yet! ;) But I will.

That was the impression I had of him when I was reading FotR.

I thought he was a very important character.

I think one of my favorite things I've heard about Tolkien is that he would use a word and someone would say:

"That's not a word!"

and he'd reply:

"Oh yes it is!"

and they'd say:

"I'll bet it isn't even in the dictionary!"

and he'd say:

"Oh yes it is"

and they'd say:

"How do you know?"

and he'd say:

"Because I WROTE the dictionary"

[face_laugh]

OK, I think that was Tolkien . . . [face_worried]

25. Uldir_Fenn

Uldir_Fenn Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2004
    LOTR is great, The Hobbit is even better but The Silmarillion is in my opinion the best of the lot :D