main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Last Han Solo Story

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Technoviper, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technoviper

Technoviper Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Well...

I've finally finished the last draft of this thing, and I'm preparing to submit it. BUt I thought I'd give it to you guys first and let you comment on it.

Please be kind.

The Last Han Solo Story
    Chapter One: Out of the Past

"No offense, Captain Solo, but I think that story is a pile of Bantha droppings."

I turned around to see who'd spoken. He was young, dark-haired, blue-eyed, and impossibly handsome. Almost certainly a perfect jerk. He wore an orange flight suit under a battered leather jacket. He was leaning against the bar, one hand loosely clutching in a forgotten sort of way a mug of Chagarian ale.

And he was laughing. At me.

"Well, I don't know what to tell you, kid," I said. "I was there. It happened. I did it."

"Sure you did," the kid said, scooping a handful of nuts from a bowl on the bar and popping them into his mouth. "First of all, a Star Destroyer has, what, sixty turbolasers? With LeGrange Targeting Computers, right?"

I nodded.

"So, you multiply that by three, that's, like, a hundred and eighty turbolasers, and you expect us to believe that you managed to avoid all that firepower and a wing of TIE fighters while manually navigating an asteroid field?"

I shrugged. "I just said I did it," I said, winking at the bartender, a guy named Yerky with a bald head and a thick moustache. "I didn't say it was easy."

The kid snorted. "Impossible, is more like it."

"Actually," I said, "It's not impossible. The odds are --"

The kid threw his head back, draining the last of the ale from his glass. "Impossible."

I sighed. "It's not impossible. Besides, they weren't trying to kill us. Vader needed us alive --"

"I say it's bunk," the kid said. I knew he'd be a jerk. "Like that Endor story. Since when is an Ewok smart enough to operate a speeder bike?"

"Hey, don't sell the little guys short," I said. "Remember, they --"

"Yeah, yeah," the kid interrupted. "They took out a whole battalion of stormtroopers. And an AT-ST patrol. With sticks. And stones."

"And your point is?" Yerky said, as he refilled the kid's glass.

"My point is, he's full of it," the kid said. "Next you'll be telling us you once knew a Gammorean X-Wing pilot."

"Well," I said, "Now that you mention it..."

"Save it, old timer," the kid said. He turned back to the bar, dismissing me. I thought about throwing him through the window. It seemed a bit extreme. Instead, I finished my drink and slapped a credit on the bar in front of me.

"Ah, forget about it, Solo," Yerky said. His voice carried a hint of hoarseness, and there was a two-inch scar along one side of his neck. I always thought that the two were connected, but it seemed impolite to ask. "These kids today, they don't know nothin' about the old days."

He set the drink in front of me and I slid the credit over to him. Yerky slid it back.

"On the house," he said, moving away down the bar.
    I saluted him with the glass. "To the good old days," I said, and drank up.

It was a day like any other since the death of my wife, Leia, over ten years ago. Together, we'd faced the nastiest threats the galaxy could throw at us and given back as good as we'd gotten. Better. Nowadays, there wasn't anything to do -- and even if there was, I wasn't sure I could do it anymore. There was a time when I was a hero of a rebellion, a living legend, a diplomat and soldier, a leader of men, an adventurer, a man of action. Now I was just another old spacer, wandering from planet to planet, spending his time in pilots' bars and gambling halls, reminiscing about the good old days and telling stories so outrageous that nobody believed them. I had to smile. When I was that kid's age, I swore I'd never turn out to be a guy like that.

Except that all my stories were true. At least, I remembered them that way. But those adventures had a way of seeming longer ago and further away every year.

I had to face facts: Han Solo had gotten old.

I picked up my drink and headed to the window. The bar, a s

2. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    That's great! I'm completely into this story already! :)

And I've always loved Han. ;)

I do hope that you plan to post more of that story here. :D

3. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Very Nice. Keep this going I want to read more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.