main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The London Film Club - A Chat about Films

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Lord-Tice, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    along came an original idea...

2. HunkyEvil

HunkyEvil Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2006
    I know there's a Halo movie coming out in a year or two.. and I really couldn't care. The storyline isn't good at all, whereas the online play and actual game is the best thing I've ever laid my hands on.

Mortal Kombat 1 was very good.. I didn't like 2 though because of them continuing it EXACTLY where MK1 left off, and Sonya was a different actress and they wore different clothes. [face_plain] I couldn't handle it.

I love incredibly cheesey action films and I thought the days were long gone but it seems John Cena (yes, the wrestler) is trying to keep it alive. Has anyone heard of The Marine?

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I've heard of it mentioned.
    I don't know how well Cena can act, so it's hard to say what it will be like.

4. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    come on,now... this is a film thread!
    mortal kombat,indeed!!!

5. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I also enjoyed the first Mortal Kombat film. They did go down hill after that, no Chris Lambert you see :( :p

Anyone else really intrigued by Children of Men?? I may go see this actually, looks right up my street and I liked what Alfonso Cuarón did with Harry Potter ATPOA.

6. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    that film looks great.
    i'm really looking forward to that,and the new one from darren aronofsky...

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I was on the set of a scene from Children of Men.
    It looked really interesting.

8. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I hope you waved to the camera Richie :D Must have looked very impressive if it was for one of those future exterior London scenes.

I found myself on the set of a Harry Houdini film a few weeks ago while in Greenwich. I have no idea if it was a film or TV drama, or who's behind it but looked interesting, although I can see why film sets are really boring because not much was happening for ages.

What's the new Darren Aronofsky film, Jamie??

9. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    it's called 'the fountain' and it stars hugh jackman and rachel weizs. it's about a scientist/doctor/explorer searching for a cure for his wifes illness...or something... to do with the tree of life...and ancient civilisations...and time travel..or space travel...or something.
    it's been in production for years after the studio pulled the plug after the dismal box-office of solaris... brad pitt was due to star at one point and grew a big beard.
    er...

10. major_phennir

major_phennir Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2006
    I recently saw Right at Your Door which is a clever and effective 'thriller.' It does suffer from a less than believable plot at times but the standard of the acting and the twists and turns, not to mention the suitably claustrophobic and tense atmosphere, help compensate for that. It has a chilling twist at the end, which thinking about, I should have seen coming! What I liked most about it was there were no big effects and a very small cast - mainly just the two characters - no big names. Worth seeing.

Only thing that didn't help was the constant commentary being provided by one couple, who clearly had no interest in the film! Why, oh why do people go the cinema and then spend the whole duration of the film, playing with their mobile phones, each other or just talk through the whole?! I go to the flicks to watch the movie, isn't that the point??!! It just seems to be another sad indictment of a society that has lost all sense of manners and respect. Don't get me started on that one...

11. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I never even hered of the films you guys are talking about... :( :p

But has anyone seen Cars yet? I think it's totally overrated.
    Yes it's cute and a nice and entertaining story but that's really it. The animations are great, ok. But still nothing more but a nice film for me.

I'm now waiting for "Marie Antoinette". Maily because I'm a fan of Sofia Coppoloas work. and because of the costumes, of course :D ;)

12. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    we went to see 'right at your door',turr...
    theresa guessed the ending about halfway through.
    which infuriates me...

13. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    Anyone thinking of seeing Children of Men? It looks promising, perhaps we could arrange a FanForce meet to see this one?

14. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    i'm really looking forward to seeing this. it's got chiwetel ejiofor out of serenity in it,too.
    not sure when we'll get to see it,though...
    apparantly,according to major phennir,they are filming the sequel to 28 days later,at the moment.
    does anyone have any info on that?

15. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    No, but I DEFINETLY wanna find out more about it!

16. HunkyEvil

Feb 27, 2006
    I heard Dog Soldiers 2 is also on it's way. Speaking of British horrors, anyone watched The Decent?

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I've not yet seen it.
    But people at work highly rate it.

And I advise not seeing the remake of The Wicker Man, I thought is was not very good.
    But if you want to compare the two it might be worth seeing.

18. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    the descent?
    probably the best brit horror film since hellraiser?
    but not the most original,by a long shot...
    but the 'death by pick-axe to throat' sequence...!!!
    can't wait for the next one from director.
    is it going to be called OUTPOST?

19. HunkyEvil

Feb 27, 2006
    Didn't know about there other one. I'll keep an eye out.

Richie you should try and borrow a copy if you can, it's not horror like gore horror really but it makes you jump in a number of places. I blame that on surround sound though. Hehe. Actually Wiz recommended it in a post a little while ago but I didn't know if I'd like it. I gave it a watch anyway and yeah, brilliant film

20. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    The Descent is a great film. The ending is quite special too and well worth seeing. I too look forward to seeing what he comes up with next (not sure what it is though but I bet you're right Jamie).

I'm sure I've also heard something about the sequel to 28 Days later but have little info onit.

I recall Marie Antoinette got a bad recpetion at Cannes but I think that's more to do with the French then anything ;) Not sure if I'll see it at the cinema but one I'll probably see on DVD one day.

I aim to see Children of men next weekend, if all goes well.

Clerks 2 anyone?? Not really a Kevin Smith fan but I could be swayed.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'll look into The Decent then

Children of Men seems very popular. Had 3 sell-outs at work in the last few days.
    From what I saw on set it looks interesting.

That Marie Antoinette film doesn't look that interesting, but you never know. She was an interesting person. And Historical or Period drama things have grown on me recently after having seen the BBC adaptation of Bleak House which I liked, and Sunday's Jane Eyre was also good.

Clerks II should be good, we have a big cardboard display of it at work which I'm after.

22. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    I take it you work in a cinema Richie?

Was anyone interested in getting together to see Children of Men then or are we looking at Clerks 2 instead? Mind you I haven't seen the first film so not sure I am that interested in seeing the second!

The sequel to 28 Days Later I understand is called 28 Weeks Later. The only reason I know anything about it is because they were filming some of it in and around Triton Square where our company's London HQ is. There was a warning to staff that security in the area would be heightened and they might hear gunshots but not to be alarmed!

23. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    neil marshall,the funny-looking director of the descent[/i,used to have a column in total film and after filming wrapped on the descent,said they had two other projects in development.
    one of which was a film called outpost... i can't remeber the other,but i think it was going to be a scottish mad max-style film... filmed around hadrians wall,amongst other places...
    we're off to see children of men one night this week.
    hopefully...

24. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    Oh my god! I was sooo bored when I watched The Descent that the wall was looking at me and pleading for me to pour some paint on it just so I could watch it dry. One of the best recent Brit horrors, I think not. Hellraiser may be full of cheese but I love it and it wind hands down over the descent any day, 28 or otherwise. Can't wait for 28 whatever the time scale is. Children of menlooks good too. ;)

25. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Really? I didn't know that...
    The costumes still look stunning and just like Richie I like films about historical people.
    Still have a voucher for cinema left from my birthday si I won't vaste any money on it ;)

It's still some time till Harry Potter OotP is released but they finally started to spread some movie stills.
    If you want to avoid spoilers don't follow the link ;) here
    Rumor has it that a teaser trailer will be released on Nov 15th attached to Happy Feet. Another film I've never heared of before :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.