main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General ~*The Lord of the Rings Discussion thread*~ (FOTR, TTT and ROTK-spoilers blacked out please)

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Hmm ... yeah, that's another way of looking at it. :p

2. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    ;) @ Xan.

My friends were here for a litle while. We watched FOTR, and one of them-a really big LOTR fan-was going, "hey that wasn't in the film I saw...". ;)

Heheh. :D

I was watching out for the bloopers too. 8-} If I mention the car, Xan will shoot me a murderous look! [face_laugh]

Oops, looks like I did! [face_shocked] 8-}

*looks around for Xan and braces herself*

3. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    lol I think me and Pash are the smilies queens really ;) :p

It's a shame my TTT DVD can only play on one computer in this house, I am getting withdrawal symptoms now ;)

On the brightside the people I am staying with have Harry Potter but it's not the same :( :_|

4. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    That, we are Jean! ;) I love smileys! :D

Aww, *hugs* I guess it's not the same as the LOTR series, no? Got the EE yet? :confused:

Hmm, perhaps a DVD player is an option...but then, right now you're at college right? Or will be in a few days time? :confused:

5. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Smilies are the best [face_love]

Oh they have a DVD player just DVDs from the UK wont play here unless it's a multiregion one which its not :_|

I have a DVD player at home as well as a DVD ROM :D

Yep have EE versions of FOTR and TTT [face_love] :D

6. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Ohh, I see... :( Just hang in there... [face_love]

I don't have a DVD rom yet...is there lots more to access when you have a DVD rom, Jean? :confused:

7. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    ermm don't know I only use my DVD ROM for DVDs from the USA and Canada :p

8. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    [face_shocked]

You mean you haven't checked out the exclusive content that is available on the official site? Apparently the DVD ROM allows you to acces it. :cool:

My AOTC DVD has the same feature...but no DVD ROM. :(

9. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    *gives Blaine the obligatory murderous look* :p

I don't have a DVD ROM either. :( I didn't know there was extra stuff on the DVDs ...

10. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    *gives Blaine the obligatory murderous look*

;) Well, I was expecting that! [face_laugh] It's funny now when I see that bit in the film though. I pointed it out to two friends the other day and they thought i was nuts until one of them saw it too. 8-}

Hmm, this DVD ROM business...usually the DVD will indicate if it has this capability. Now I know the AOTC special edition one as well as the LOTR:EE versions have this feature. I think it allows acces to areas of the site that would otherwise be...erm...inaccessible? 8-}

Well, I'm in the same boat. I don't have a DVD ROM either. :(

11. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Girls, I read yesterday on the net Orli is going out with actress, Kate Bosworth. [face_shocked] She acted in the TV series Young Americans and in a few movies...saw one recently...frankly it was awful. :(

Okay, here's the plan. We get our combat gear, head over there with a greasy frying pan and a baseball bat and get our elf boy back! [face_mischief]

BTW, Orlando is filming Kingdom of Heaven, a Ridley Scott movie about the Crusades. :D And yes, he's got the lead role...go Orli. :cool:

12. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    I can't believe I killed a LOTR thread! [face_shocked]

Anyways, *kicks it back to life* ;)

I'm reading the novels these days...started reading FOTR ages ago and got interupted by exams. Started it again very recently and finished FOTR the other day. I have started on TTT and it's at a really good bit too.

The three hunters have just met Eomer and the Riders of Rohan! :cool:

There are probably going to be quite a few bookmarks like this from me...I want to finish them all before I see ROTK. :)

13. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    [face_laugh] I'll leave you girls to it with regards the Orli mission, but I wish you luck with that one ;)
    That's great news about the Crusades film though. Ridley Scott must like your young elfboy because this will be his second film with him.

Good luck with the reading Pash, you'll love them all I'm sure :)
    When I read them a few years ago, my tutor at college always asked where I was in the books and we always had a little critique session about where I was....it was great, so by all means continue with your bookmarks :D

14. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    [face_mischief]

We have to plan girls...strategy is key! ;)

Heheh, Matt...some plan eh? I hope you like the greasy frying pan part...it's my feminine touch to the whole thing! ;) [face_laugh]

Oh, the Crusades movie is another epic proportion film isn't it? Orli is getting loads of epics and period flicks-speaking of which I saw Ned Kelly yesterday! :D No I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it.

I'll say one thing though...I was really impressed. Very well filmed and the acting was superb. It was moving too. :(

Matt, I'm glad you like bookmarks...cool can we critique bits then? :) I have read the whole of FOTR so I'm up for it there...in TTT I've finished reading the chapter Uruk-Kai and so far it's great. I stopped on the first few pages of TreeBeard.

I've never done it online but it will be cool... :cool: We can just say "bookmark" or type in a different colour for the book mark part of our posts. :D

Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the Treebeard chpater...I want to get back to our heroes. And reading the chapter with Eomer kinda made my day yesterday. I had a silly smile on my face coz I could now visualise the actors during that famous confrontation with Eomer and the Riders of Rohan. :)

15. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    'Heheh, Matt...some plan eh? I hope you like the greasy frying pan part...it's my feminine touch to the whole thing!'

[face_laugh] I love the plan, and the frying pan was a nice addition but I do a lot of cooking myself so perhaps not just a feminine touch ;)
    I'd be only too happy to help out of cause, but only because it means he wont get to be with keira for PotC2, thus giving me the perfect opportunity to get cast as the next Will Turner :D ;)

It seems Ridley and Orli like their epics, and the Crusades will be no exception that's for sure. Have you seen Black Hawk Down Pash??
    I haven't seen Ned Kelly but would like to. As far as I know it didn't really do big business here but the trailer looked very good and the cast was strong.

I'll start the ball rolling if you like pash with the bookmarks (by all means use a different colour to me, lol).
    This is a boring and an already hottly debated topic, so I do apologise for that, but seeming as you've read FotR: How do you feel about the exclusion of Tom Bombadil??
    Initally I wasn't too bothered by it, because it seemed a really out-of-place part in the book and my tutor at the time agreed with me. But in recent times, I have gotten to understood the relivance of the character much more and kinda feel he should have made an appearance, all-be-it a very brief one.
    On the other hand, in TTT the film, Treebeard pinches a bit of dialogue that Tom says in the book, which I agree was a nice touch but was it enough?

16. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    [face_laugh] In which case we have a good deal here...by working to gether we can all be happy! 8-} In case you're wondering this isn't the strategy I learn in my courses! [face_laugh]

Ned Kelly...you will probably like it. I was hesitant at first to borrow it. But I thought I'd give it a go and i was so impressed by the actors. And since Orli's all covered in beard and bad hair day, so to speak...it was the acting I was all watching! ;)

Yes Matt, I have seen Black Hawk Down and I did like it. It was a very gritty film and my dad watched it too. He was impressed by Tom Sizemoore. I thought Josh Hartnett was brilliant. I'd like to see Josh get more roles...he's a talented young actor. And Orli's cameo was funny too! Especially his exchange with Ewan Macgregor! [face_laugh]

Yay! Bookmark ...and this was the first question I expected you to drop! [face_mischief]

Okay, I am one of those people who actually tooka a while to read the Tom Bomabadill part of the novel so I guess although his character is still in my head, it did go down with me all that well. It was a lighthearted part of the novel but I don't knowif it would have fit in with the existing movie simply because there isn't a flow, so to speak.
    I also remember Phillipa Boyens mentioning in the commentary that we don't really know if the hobbits met Tom or not. They could have met him in the old forest. That's the way the movie is made.
    I am also inclined to agree that his character does not have the impact on the Ring as say...the character of Elrond which has been nicely fleshed out. :)

Oh the treebeard lines that were actually Tom's lines...yep. That's a new scene that I caught a glimpse of. I haven't fully seen it yet. But it's a nice touch. After all Tom was the onld man of the forest and treeeard is the shepard of the forest so the re-writing into that scene is quite clever, i must say. :D

Hmm, I guess that means I don't totally Miss Tom? ;) Actually I don't. I'm also thrilled at the fleshing out of the fellowship characters. They have written the script very well.

Oh Matt, BTW, just coz we don't agree does not mean this is not fun..I'm enjoying this. :cool:

17. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I bet you came up with your Kidnapping plan while in class though pash? ;)

I totally agree with you Pash on Josh Harnett. He's a very good actor and hopefully he'll get some good roles in the future because he's in a different league to other actors in his age bracket. He's made some mistakes with some roles, but he can easily handle being the leading actor.

and this was the first question I expected you to drop!

[face_laugh] You know me well already it seems ;)

Actually Pash, in the end I propbably agree with you about Tom being given the snip. I remember Jackson saying that with the character Tom, there is a slight flaw in the whole story. If he's as powerful as we assume he is, then he could have easily destroyed the ring himself and the story would have been finsihed half way through Fellowship [face_laugh]
    I also think if he was included, it would just confuss people to no end. Personally I found it a very strange part in the book, as did my tutor, and I think the studio would have made Jackson cut it out even if he did film it

OK, next bookmark :)

Do you like the Ents??
    Again, my tutor was quite resolute in the fact he didn't like them. He just thought they were strange and that they slowed everything down too much. Also, in the film I remember Jackson saying many people had the same problem with the Ents, but he actually like that side to them because it gave them real character.

I loved them myself, but then again I really like trees and always have. I thought the concept of them was wonderful, and while they do slow things down, I quite like that element to them and the story. They prove a great contrast against all the other charaters.

18. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Hmm, I think the idea was a spur of the moment thing, Matt. [face_mischief] Actually when I get really bored in class I start dreaming about story ideas for fan fics or regular writing. :)

I think Josh's mistakes include 40 days and 40 nights...argh, awful movie that was. :( I loved him in Pearl Harbnour though, even if most ppl may not have like it. He made Ben Affleck look like a beginner. :cool:

Bookmark

Whoo! Ents...funnily enough I find them more interesting in the book. And it's a good thing I'm reading TTT at the moment as it expalins a lot of the story of the Ents, entwives and what happened in Fangorn. :)

Here's a switch...I like the book more than the movie for the part of the ents. I think it's easier to understand the whole history of these unusual creatures when you read it in black and white. The visuals are stunning and I love the way PJ has fleshed out the character...but I guess most ppl who see the film have read the book, that's why they get it...so to speak. I think ppl who don't read TTT will be a biiiiit confused at first.

And those verses...in the movie they are a bit hard to figure out but once you've read the book you can guess that Treebeard is singing about the Entwives and such.

Eeps, I have to run off, but i will add more soon. ;)

19. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Ok got Haldir signed up for collectormania Matt, consider me attending that convention! :p

20. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I have a confession to make ... while I can safely claim that I've read LOTR (once), I skipped huge snippets of it, and only skimmed ROTK because it was long and confusing. [face_blush] :p

But I think I like the movie without Bombadil. It would seem a bit out of place ... as it is the movie flows pretty seamlessly, and that's great. And yeah, the way it's written it might be that the hobbits met him but it just wasn't shown on screen ... but that also can be said for numerous other scenes that didn't make the script.

As for the Ents: anything that slow and patient annoys me right off the bat, so I'm not going to offer an opinion. :p

21. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Jean?!? [face_shocked]

Craig Parker is coming to a convention? [face_shocked] Argh...so not fair! :(

Lucky girl...not bad at all. ;)

Xan, I'm in the middle of TTT..well, sorta. I have finished Helm's Deep and I have a bit more to go before I get to the end of the first half.

I am hoping to read 'em all before I see ROTK. Knowing how fast we get movies, it's probably a reality! 8-}

Aah, yeah about good 'ol Tom...he was in the old forest so we'll never really know right? But imagine the casting for Tom? And the costume? If I remember right, it was pretty colourful! 8-}

22. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    yep he is, I think I am going to really enjoy this convention [face_mischief] :D

23. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Jean, pictures, pictures and more pictures! :D
    Don't forget! Wow, how exciting. :D

Hmm, he's probably my mom's fave after she saw a few interviews on my DVD. ;) You have all the luck, babe. ;) *sighs*

24. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    :D

It seems that way ;)

Don't worry I shall send you and your mum some pictures of the lovely man himself ;)

25. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    You are a darling, Jean. [face_love]

**hugs**

Wow, is this a special LOTR convention? Or is it all kinds of collectibles including SW stuff? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.