main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Meaning of Son

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by JediPhoenixKatie, Apr 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediPhoenixKatie

JediPhoenixKatie Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2001
    Hi there everyone! Katie again! Here is another story for you! It's a WIP. I hope that's okay with everyone. And if you haven't already, please go check out my other fics "Never Again," "Phoenix Song," and "Loyalty of a Padawan." Thanks!!! :) Enjoy!

Katie

Title: The Meaning of Son
    Author: Katie <sailrscout@home.com> or <JediPhoenix21@hotmail.com>
    Rating: PG
    Summery: Is blood really thicker than water?
    Disclaimer: I do not own Qui-gon, Obi-wan, or the Star Wars Universe. They are the owned by George Lucas. I make no money off of these stories.
    Note: BIG thank yous to Master Sio for being Master Sio, to Robi for being a great Pada sis, Jane Jinn for her great beta reading, Telly, ObitheKid, Master B, and Kim!

The Meaning of Son
    Part 1

By: Katie

?Ha! Missed me!?

?That is exactly the sort of attitude which will get you into trouble,
    Padawan,? the large Jedi lightly scolded the boy who managed to evade his grasp.

Jedi Master Qui-gon Jinn and his Padawan, Obi-wan Kenobi, were spending a relaxing morning together in their quarters in the Jedi temple on Couruscant. The team had just returned from an extremely trying mission in the far end of the Galaxy. Although the mission had been exhausting, it had also bee very successful.

They entered their apartment in the early morning hours and Qui-gon sent his Padawan straight to bed, getting no arguments from the fourteen year old. The Jedi Master woke late the next day and found his Apprentice still
    sleeping deeply. Qui-gon noticed how dark circles had taken over Obi-wan's eyes. He instantly decided that he and his Padawan would take the next three days to themselves. This would give them some quality time together, and would give the tired boy time to rest and recuperate.

They spent the first day resting and relaxing. Obi-wan slept a great deal and awoke refreshed and alert. On the second day they walked along the gardens and visited friends whom they had missed during their lengthy time away from the temple. It was now the late morning of the third day, and Obi-wan was feeling rambunctious. He challenged his Master to a wrestling match, and the older Jedi accepted with more than a hint of obstructive and began.

Obi-wan knew he would not be able to overpower his bigger and stronger
    Master. He had to rely on his speed and agility to take the older man
    down. For the moment it was working. Qui-gon had not yet been able to get a firm grasp on the youth. The battle was in Obi-wan?s favor, or at least it seemed that way to him.

Qui-gon, however, had his own idea of how the battle at hand would play out. He had to admit, he was proud of his Padawan. The boy was being patient and using more defensive methods rather than acting out in an aggressive manner. Still, as happy as he was with Obi-wan?s skill, he knew the young Jedi would make a mistake, and he would be ready for it when he did.

He did not have to wait long.

The big Jedi was advancing on his Apprentice again and in a split second move the boy dove between the Master?s legs and jumped on his back, wrapping his arms around his neck in an effort to knock the older man off balance. But, to his surprise, Qui-gon easily countered the move by grabbing his arms just below the shoulders and flipping him effortlessly over his head. The result was Obi-wan colliding with the carpeted floor, the impact not even felt as his Master used the Force to soften his less-than-graceful. Qui-gon now had him pinned to the floor but the fallen Padawan continued to struggle under his Master?s iron grip.

?Do you give up?? Qui-gon asked the squirming boy.

?No!?

?Don?t say I didn?t give you a chance.? He began tickling the young
    Padawan, who was now laughing uncontrollably. Obi-wan was extremely
    ticklish, and to make it worse Qui-gon knew all of his ?spots?.

?Master!? he pleaded between bouts of laughter. ?Stop!?

?Do you give??

?Never!?

?I tried

2. Jeditheskyisblue

Jeditheskyisblue Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Good story can't wait for more...Post more soon...

3. JediPhoenixKatie

Apr 12, 2001
    Thank you kindly!!! Very glad you are liking it! I'll post more soon...I hope!
    :)

4. Jedi_Borme

Jedi_Borme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2000
    Oh poor Obi-Wan. I feel so sad for him. His mom and dad aren't being to nice. Can't wait to read more of this.

5. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    This is interesting, I don't think I've ever seen a story where the parent's wanted their child back before. I look forward to reading more.

6. Kim-kenobi

Kim-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 1999
  7. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Ooooooo. An Obi fic!! More soon please. Im really enjoying your story!! ;)

8. JediPhoenixKatie

Apr 12, 2001
    Good morning everyone! Thanks for all the feedback! Keep it comin'!!! :) Here is part two! Enjoy!

Katie

~*~

The Meaning of Son
    Part 2

It was late, Qui-gon realized, and he needed to get some rest. The tall Jedi stood from the chair where he had been reading and began dimming the lights. Before the room was completely darkened the Master decided to check on his Padawan, whom he had sent off to bed over an hour ago.

He cracked open the door of the room, which was slightly smaller than his own, only enough to see the sleeping form. Only, to his surprise the bed was empty and the blankets thrown about. He rushed in the room without any hesitation, and found the boy sitting by his window looking out at the night sky.

?Obi-wan,? Qui-gon said in concern as the young face turned to him. ?It?s late, what are you still doing up??

?I?m sorry, Master, but I couldn't sleep.?

?You?re worried about tomorrow?? The only response the Jedi got from his Apprentice was a small nod. Why shouldn?t Obi-wan be worried? Tomorrow they would be going to court and it would be decided whether the youth would remain with the Jedi as he wished, or if he would be forced from the place which he had called home for so long.

?Master,? the young Jedi?s voice seemed unsure of itself. ?If things had been different and I had decided to go with my parents, what would you have done??

Qui-gon smiled sadly and said, ?I would have been incredibly sad to see you go, Padawan, but I would understand and respect your decision.?

Obi-wan looked deep into his Master?s eyes and saw that his words were the truth, not just what he knew the boy wanted to hear. The Apprentice turned his head back towards the night sky.

?Why can?t my parents understand that??

?Young one,? Qui-gon turned his Padawan?s face back to his. ?I know it?s hard to believe, but you?re parents are doing this because they love you and they want what?s best for you.?

?But, this isn?t what?s best for me!? he cried. ?They said it was my choice, but they?re not letting it be my choice! They?re taking my choice away from me! Why, Master? Why don?t they want me to live the life I want to live??

Qui-gon didn?t know how to answer that question. He too thought Obi-wan?s parents were being unreasonable and were putting unneeded stress on the son they said they cared for.

?I?m sorry, Padawan,? he shook his head. ?But, I can?t explain what I don?t understand.?

?Will they win??

?I don?t know, Obi-wan. The future is unseen. You do want to stay here, don?t you??

?Of course! More than anything!? Obi-wan felt shame as he spoke these words. ?Do you think that?s wrong? To go against my family?s wishes so strongly??

?Not if it?s what the Force and your heart tells you.? Qui-gon put an arm around his Padawan?s shoulder. ?I know this is very hard for you, Obi-wan. I wish there was more that I could say to assure you that all will be well. But, I?m afraid all I can do is promise you that I am going to do everything I can in order for you to stay here. I know that doesn?t sound like it?s enough...?

?It?s more than enough,? Obi-wan broke in. ?Thank you, Master.?

Qui-gon smiled and ruffled his Padawan?s short, red-gold hair. ?Come, Padawan.? The Master pulled the youth to his feet. ?It?s far past you?re bed time.?

After Obi-wan crawled into bed for the second time that night, Qui-gon carefully tucked the covers around him.

?Whatever happens,? Qui-gon assured the boy, whose eyelids were already becoming heavy. ?I will always be with you. In your heart. Just as you will always be in mine.? He brushed a soft kiss to his now sleeping Padawan?s forehead.

As he stood to leave he smiled, not remembering the last time he had tucked Obi-wan into bed. His smile faded when he realized that, after tomorrow, he might never get another chance to see the boy snuggle into bed again.

?You may be seated,? the white haired Judge said after he seated himself on a large chair high abov

9. TrianaJinn

TrianaJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2001
    Great story so far. Looking forward to reading more. :)

10. JediPhoenixKatie

Apr 12, 2001
    Many thanks! ;) Glad you are enjoying it! More to come!

11. JediPhoenixKatie

Apr 12, 2001
    Heeeeellllllooooooooooooo???? Anyone around??? :)

12. Jedi_Borme

Jan 17, 2000
    I really don't like Obi's dad he is not nice. He doesn't ever seem to care what he is doing to his son. Can't wait for the next part.

13. JediPhoenixKatie

Apr 12, 2001
    Good Morning everyone!!! I hope everyone is doing well this morning! I have to go back to school today :( No fair! Oh well! Anyway, here is the next part! Do enjoy!!!

~*~

The Meaning of Son
    Part 3

Qui-gon had never known it to be so painful to walk into his Padawan?s room. He felt the boy?s presence so strongly around him that he could almost see him sitting there on his bed, concentrating hard while drawing. A thought hit the Master like a brick-the thoughtthat he might never really physically see Obi-Wan in this room again.

He shook his head to clear it. That was not something to worry about at the moment. He had to get Obi-wan?s things or he'd be too late to deliver them to his parents.

Mace was in the living area reporting the happenings to the council. Qui-gon knew he would have need to speak to Bant and the rest of Obi-wan?s friends and prepare them for the possibility of needing to say good-bye to their peer.

As he gathered his Apprentice?s clothes and other items he would need, something caught his eye.

?Oh, Padawan,? he sighed. ?How many times do I need to remind you to close your window??

Obi-wan seemed to have a mental block against this task. Even with his Master?s constant reminders, he always seemed to forget. Once there had been a severe rainstorm which had raged across Courucant. When Obi-wan had come home from classes that day and entered his room, he?d found it completely soaked. Once again, he had not remembered to shut his window, and had been forced to sleep on the sofa in the living areauntil his bed dried out. Qui-gon had thought that after that he had finally learned his lesson, but it seemed he?d been wrong.

As he leaned over the bed to shut and lock the opened window he knocked something off the sill. The fragile item fell softly onto his Padawan?s pillow. Qui-gon looked at the fallen item, it was a holo-picture. He activated it, and smiled at what came up.

The picture was of Qui-gon tying on the first of two strings Obi-wan would wear on his Padawan braid. The strings were yellow and red. The first was yellow which symbolized new beginnings and new growth. The second was red which symbolized maturity and knowledge. This picture had been taken soon after Obi-wan had finished his probation and was officially Qui-gon?s Padawan again. In the picture the tall Jedi was tying off his new Padawan?s braid with the yellow string. Although the portrait was supposed to be a serious one, both Master and Apprentice were smiling brightly. This was not only a new beginning for Obi-wan as a Padawan, but also for Qui-gon as a Master. In the time to come they would both teach each other, guide each other, help, and care for each other. The Jedi team would be together for a long time after this and that was the reason the day was so special. They both knew that together, they were complete. They'd had dark, difficult moments at the beginning, but ahead of them there seemed to be only light.

Qui-gon sighed and clutched the photo tightly in his hand. Though the portrait had been taken over a year ago, it seemed like only yesterday. He had hoped to have a similar portrait of himself tying the red string on his Padawan?s braid when the boy turned sixteen, as was tradition. Only now, he thought with a sigh, he may not be able to have the honor of fulfilling the age-old tradition with his Apprentice.

?Qui-gon?? The tall Jedi looked up and saw Mace standing over him. The council member glanced down at the holo-picture still in his friend?s hand and gave a slight smile, which quickly faded. ?Are you all right??

Qui-gon shook his head sadly. ?I feel like I?m failing him.?

?How? One day in court doesn?t mean anything.?

?Perhaps not this one day, but what about the next? And then the next after that? What happens when I am to take the stand and look like the father who doesn?t care for his son when the Judge hears of how I left him on that awful planet??

?Qui, your entire relationship with Obi-wan doesn?t

14. The Jedi Princess

The Jedi Princess Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 1999
    I'm happy to see you posting this here Pada Sis!!!
    It's a great story! :) :) :)

~Robi

15. TrianaJinn

Apr 14, 2001
    Great Post! :D
    It seems that Obi's dad just doesn't seem to understand that he was never really there for him before but the Jedi were.

16. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    Cool! You're posting it here now :)

I really really don't like Obi's dad... I wonder if he's fighting the case for his family or for his own pride.

Post more!! :)

17. Jedi_Borme

Jan 17, 2000
    Great post.
    I think Qui-Gon is more of a father to Obi-Wan then his real dad. Can't wait for more.

18. Seeker2

Seeker2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2001
    AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!! :mad:
    POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST POST!!!!!!! I'm sooooooo glad my brother gave me his stress ball!!!!! I HATE THOSE LARS PEOPLE!!!!!! *Ahem* Anyway, this is an excellent story and I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say POST!

19. KADI-WAN_KENOBI

KADI-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2000
    Some parents. Not even caring what Obi-Wan wants.

Post soon!

20. JediPhoenixKatie

Apr 12, 2001
    *sniff* Wow, I feel so loved! Hehehehe! :D Thanks for the great feedback everyone! I'm glad you are enjoying my little story! I will post more soon!

21. QUIGONAMARETTO

QUIGONAMARETTO Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2000
    This is great! Can't wait for more.

22. KADI-WAN_KENOBI

KADI-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2000
  23. Calayka_Bele

Calayka_Bele Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    Please post more soon!! This is a great story! ;)

24. TrianaJinn

Apr 14, 2001
  25. JediPhoenixKatie

Apr 12, 2001
    Good morning every one! Its way to early to be awake. Anyway! Thank you all sooooooo much for the great feedback! Much appreciated!!! Here is the next part! Enjoy!

~*~

Part 4

~*~

Obi-wan was drinking tea with his mother in the common room of the hotel they were staying in. They looked up when Alon Lars came into the room, he looked relatively annoyed and that worried Obi-wan. He gave his son a cross look as he handed him his bag.

"Son," he began and Obi-wan felt the desire to shrink away. "I'm going to ask you something and I want you to be perfectly honest with me."

"Sure, dad."

"How do you feel towards Master Qui-gon?"

"Dear, maybe you shouldn't..." Cierra stopped short when her husband raised a silencing hand.

Obi-wan knew his answer would not go over well with his father, but he would not lie. "I care for Master Qui-gon very much," he said without a quiver. "He's been like a father to me this last year."

Alon's fist came down hard on a nearby table top, causing it to jump under the impact. "I am your father!" he roared. "You are my son! My blood!"

"Alon! Please!" Obi-wan's mother stepped in. She turned to her son and kindly said, "Obi-wan, please go to your room."

Obi-wan, who was now clutching his travel bag in a death grip, did not need to be told twice. The young Jedi hurried into the small room which would be his until the court made its decision. He stood by the closed door for a few moments and listened to his parents argue.

"You really shouldn't talk to him that way!" his mother was saying.

?He treats that...that man as his father and ME like a total stranger!? his father replied angrily.

?Well what do you expect? The Jedi way of life is all he knows!?

?He should know us! Know his true family! Know his blood!?

Obi-wan could listen to no more. He walked swiftly to the window on the other side of the room where his parents? voices were drowned out by the busy Coruscant traffic. He stared at the flashing lights of hurried air-taxies for some time, until the voices of his parents died away completely.

He made his way to the bed where he looked through the contents of the bag Qui-gon had packed for him. There were plenty of tunics and trousers for the days to come, his sleep clothes, and something packed deep within the bag underneath all his essentials. It was his sketch book, and inside were four of his favorite shading pencils. His Master had not forgotten to send him the one thing he knew would bring his sorrowful Padawan joy.

Obi-wan laid his head down on his pillow, clutching his sketch book close to his chest. It was the little things, like remembering something that seemed so meaningless, that made Obi-wan certain of where his true home was. He wanted, more than anything, to be back at his home now with the people he knew as his family, and with the man he considered his father.

He squeezed his eyes shut as burning tears began to appear before them. He simply could not take it any more. He could not take this feeling of emptiness.

//Master?// He called out quietly into the bond he shared with Qui-gon, for he knew it was wrong to do so.

//I am here, Padawan.// Qui-gon?s soothing voice came through the link.

//I?m sorry, Master. I know I?m not suppose to contact you...but...but...//

//Shhh...Obi-wan. It is all right. I understand and I feel the same.//

//I miss you, Master. I want to come home!//

//I know, my little one. I love you and I miss you very much. I know it?s hard, but you need to be strong for me right now. Can you do that, Padawan?//

//Yes, Master.// Even though they were speaking telepathically, it was obvious the response was tearful.

//You must sleep now, my Padawan. Sleep.// Almost instantly Obi-wan felt calming waves of the Force travel through their link and lull him into a restful sleep.

In his dreams that night, Obi-wan dreamt of the temple...of home.

~*~
    "This court is back in session," the Judge said to those in the quiet courtroom. "Miss Ba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.