main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The music/gigs discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by suzijedi, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suzijedi

suzijedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2006
    Just thought I'd start up a new thread for music and gigs.

A lot of us seem to have similar musical tastes, or are pretty big music fans in general, so here's the place to talk about upcoming gigs you may be going to (perhaps gigs we could meet at), new albums you've heard, your recommendations/reviews etc etc.

So I'll get the ball rolling......

The new Guns 'n' Roses album- anyone heard it yet? I heard a few tracks on Myspace and I have to say I'm not that impressed- just sounded bland and not worth waiting 17 years.

I'll be joining thousands of hooded kiddies on 11 Dec to see Slipknot at Newcastle Arena. Support is from Machine Head and Children of Bodom. I haven't heard Children of Bodom at all and I only really got into Machine Head's first album, but I don't mind 'em.

Metallica are coming to Newcastle Arena next March (got tickets), with support from Machine Head and The Sword (never heard of 'em). Tickets were a bit pricey at £40, but when you see Metallica, you know you're in for a good show.

And I'm also going to see the Kaiser Chiefs in Feb, again at the Arena.....not suprisingly, I'm going to see that on my own as the boyf refuses to go with me, lol. [face_blush]

Anyway...that's my 2 pence worth for now.....anyone else want to join in?

2. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    I've got tickets for 'tallica in Manchester, I can't wait cos this is the first time I've seen them :D

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Suzi, I love Bodom. I definitely recommend you go see them while you wait for the 'Knot. You won't be disappointed.

4. edgejedi

edgejedi Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2004
    great idea suzi!

i seem to miss all the gigs these days....:_|

owt good on at Trillians?

5. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    Coz- you'll not be disappointed with 'tallica. I need to have more of a listen to Death Magnetic though, as I only know a couple of the songs at the moment.

Sie- aye, I'll give Children of Bodom a go. I've heard mixed comments about them, but I don't mind hearing a new band.

Jase- Trillians seeems to be more for local/covers/lesser-known bands nowadays. Gone are the days of seeing bands there, such as At The Gates. I dunno if they've changed their booking person, but they don't pull in the more famous ones.

6. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Agree with Sie on Bodom [face_peace]

Suzi, I've not listened to Death Magnetic much either but I do think its a lot better then St.Anger. Cyanide was defo my song of the moment over the summer :D

Going to get very merry on the 26th February, when I go seeing them hehe

7. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    Yeah, I have a couple of stand out tracks- 'My Apocalypse' and 'That Was Just Your Life' and I agree it's a lot better than St Anger. My only problem is that the tracks are still a little too long....I think I have a short attention span when it comes to long songs, lol.....unless they're long songs by Devin Townsend, which I generally love!

8. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Speaking of him, I got the "Best of" SYL not long ago. Don't know why it took so long for me to get into Devin lol

9. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i have decided that i have pretty much seen everyone on my list. it's only pj harvey who is missing. if you have tickets anywhere that you don't need, i would like to take care of them.

10. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    Make sure you get copies of his other side projects too! Ocean Machine, Infinity, Synchestra and Terria for definite!

11. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Oh thats the plan :D

12. ranouch

ranouch Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2008
    I have some strange tastes in music from Kraftwerk to Rammstein and Classical
    but I still find the John Williams Music a good Foot tapper [face_peace]

13. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    So Suzi, what did you think of Bodom?

14. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    Well, I always find it a but difficult to guage a band when they play live 'cos they can sound heavier/different. They were OK from what I could tell (and rememeber!) but I wasn't blown away or anything- I'd really have to hear an album to get an idea if I liked them. Machine Head and Slipknot were both excellent. Slipknot were very tight and had a great live sound. They also had the customary revolving drum kits which was pretty cool.

Next gig is Megadeth at the Academy on 18 Feb, supported by Testament.

The boyf also wants to see Ill Nino and In Flames (both at the Academy) so I've copied some of their stuff so I can give them a listen.

15. edgejedi

May 3, 2004
    Now thats two bands that Ive not seen for a long, long while.

Im not sure how they will have changed since I saw them both last back in the early 80s (you wouldnt believe Im only 26 would you? ;))

The one band that I would have loved to have seen in its heyday were Voi Vod....sadly no more after Piggy passing away a while back...:_|

16. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I like Il Nino.

My next gig (planned at least) is Prodigy in Manchester in April.

And I plan to be at both Download and Leeds Festival this year.

17. edgejedi

May 3, 2004
    Here are all the events for the Metro Arena

http://www.metroradioarena.co.uk/events/

The only one that takes my fancy is Metallica on the 3rd March - whats with the ticket thing for it though (and the price??).

Ah, I remember the days when I saw them for about a fiver....

18. ranouch

ranouch Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2008
    Someone said A well known Music person was due to playing in Hartlepool But Ive forgotten who (Anyone heard anything?)

19. edgejedi

May 3, 2004
    http://www.trilliansrockbar.com

Looks like they use their myspace account for advertising all their up to date gigs these days rather than their website.

http://www.myspace.com/trillians

Never heard of any of these ones...
    GIG GUIDE JAN 09

5TH - HOSTAGE RESCUE TEAM

8TH - THREADS + WRITHE

9TH - REBEL TRUCE (CLASH TRIBUTE)

12TH - RANDOM HAND

15TH - T.B.C.

16TH - AKQ STOTTIN

19TH - TEMPLETON PECK + SHORT WARNING

22ND - MIKE TV + MY AWESOME COMPILATION

23RD - THE BLUES ROCK EXPERIENCE

26TH - STATIC THOUGHT

29TH - KRIS ROE (THE ATARIS) £7

30TH - INSANGEL PRESENTS:SOLARCELL,ASHES OF IRON + CLYSIS

20. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Hostage Rescue team are Bishop based. They rock.

21. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    So Coz, how was Metallica? The setlist looks good (from what I saw on the Metal Hammer website)...and were The Sword any good? I've never heard of 'em. I'll be seeing them on Tues and I'm really looking forward to it.

Megadeth were pretty good and I didn't mind Testament- there was definately an older crowd at that gig though, lol.
    I'm off to see the Kaiser Chiefs tonight.

22. edgejedi

May 3, 2004
    Yeah - that would be people of my type of age then...werent you booked as their roady after seeing them at Nottingham?[face_skull]
    You never stop! Giiiiiiiiiiigtastic!

23. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I don't think the TOS lets me describe how great Metallica was or how pants Sword were, Suzi :p

24. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    How was Download, Sie (especially FNM)? Did you manage to get by without using a plastic bag as your toilet ;)

25. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Download was awesome, Suzi. Though to be honest I wasn't particularly impressed with Faith No More. My personal highlights were Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Sevendust, ZZ Top, Dream Theatre and Steel Panthers.

Marilyn Manson was AWFUL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.