main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Meh tracking down a bunch of Imperial dead enders sounds so boring, I mean they already won where is the drama? White British accent General of the week - really? I hope they are a little more imaginative. I really want the main baddie to be a dark side force user in EP 7 and whatever TV show is next.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't know-I think the concept could be incredibly interesting if they focussed on a wide range of original characters(Rebel soldiers, X-Wing Pilots, Stormtrooper squads). I don't want to see the Empire as a threat in Episode 7 but it would be nice to get definite closure on their complete defeat in the form of a television series.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't think the Empire will be the antagonists in Episode VII. If there's one scene that really undermines that for me, it's the celebration on Coruscant. When your own capital is celebrating your fall, you're in trouble, and you're unlikely to find support elsewhere.

It would have been one thing if Coruscant was prospering and filled with Imperial loyalists, with the Outer Rim being neglected and pillaged for wealth and left to rot, causing the Rebellion. And in the original cut of the OT there was nothing really to contradict that fanon idea. The Empire obviously found plenty of candidates that voluntarily enlisted, unless I am to believe that Piett was a slave, or that there was some kind of aristocratic caste in place and that all the officers are descendants from noble Imperial houses.

But instead the SE threw that single scene in there of the capital world itself rising up to push Imperial influence away, which makes the idea that any of Palpatine's subordinates were able to cling to power a hard sell.

I know the EU tackles all of this, because apparently soon after the events of ROTJ there is some officer that is able to suppress the riots on Coruscant or something like that, but I think that's harder to sell to a broad audience of the films that has no knowledge of such things, unless the opening scroll makes reference to Imperial pockets of tyranny clinging to power with the newly formed Republic still too weak to deal with them or not eager to rush off into another war.

Otherwise it's like playing Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and then Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

In the first you end up defeating an Ultranationalist plot to overthrow Russia, in the latter the Ultranationalists are inexplicably in power with one of the characters remarking something like "I could have swore we won the last war." It's just jarring.

If they make a TV series tie-in that leads up to the films and advertise it heavily enough, then there's really nothing they couldn't do in said series to set the stage for Episode VII, regardless of whatever ROTJ implied.

4. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    If this rumor has any measure of truth to it, then I imagine it's meant to take place between RotJ and the upcoming Episode VII. I wonder if they will reference the Thrawn trilogy, Rogue Squadron, and all the post-RotJ EU that's already been established. Force forbid if they *gasp* decide to trample over this EU. Though given the likely 30+ year time gap between RotJ and Ep VII, there is a far greater time period that can be covered as opposed to the Clone Wars, so there should be more breathing room for stories that don't interfere with the post-RotJ EU. I imagine it would best take place sometime between the Battle of Endor and the start of the Yuuzhan Vong War.

I would be interested in seeing the New Jedi Order and establishment of the New Republic onscreen more than the rebels fighting off the remainder of the Empire, though. Perhaps they can even incorporate fan favorites (outside the Big Three) whom we know survived the OT through the EU, like Boba Fett, and get his survival from the Sarlaac converted from C- to T-canon (or whatever new Disney canon gets established) territory.

For now, I'll take this news with a grain (or pillar) of salt, and await news from other, more trustworthy media outlets.

5. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I think as far as retcons go, there can be major retcons without contradicting major events, or at least not directly but perhaps through a snowballing effect.

Like I don't anticipate that there will be any dialogue to contradict an extra-galactic invasion by the Yuuzhan Vong, but Chewbacca might still be alive.

I don't anticipate that there will be any dialogue to contradict that the Emperor was cloned or that the Sith Empire did not rise again since ROTJ. But maybe Luke isn't depicted as being married and therefore Mara Jade and Ben Skywalker have no place in Episode VII and are never referenced.

Not things that contradict that big conflicts that happen post ROTJ, but the finer details like whether Chewbacca is alive or not and whether or not Luke is married, that will snowball by affecting Mara Jade and Ben Skywalker and all the stories that they've ever figured into prominently.

Or it only takes one more Sio Bibble-esque throw-a-way line that "there hasn't been a war since the death of the Emperor at Endor" to throw away A LOT. I could see such a detail being mentioned right in the opening scroll...

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It's clear to me that it was always GL's intent for the Empire to have no purpose or power without the Sith to rule it.
    They might retcon away the EU's "Empire is racist" idea.

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The EU won't be respected. I know that, I accept that. But the Rebellion (perhaps New Republic!?) fighting the remnants of the Galactic Empire sounds awesome to me! X-wings vs. TIE fighters; Star Destroyers battling Mon Calamari cruisers; the Big Three and all the other characters from the OT; mining the post-RotJ EU for good ideas such as the Yevetha and Thrawn etc; Luke vs. Palpatine's dark sider minions?

I don't get some people's disdain for this rumour, to be honest. I'd rather this than a Dark Times series.

spicer and TreborSabreon like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd like to see what you're describing but I'd rather see it live-action than animated. In fact, I would pay very good money to see a live-action series or a set of movies based on the NJO, if it's well done.

9. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    This just sounds like an animated version of the OT, I'm ready to move on to something new. Or as different from the OT as the PT is.

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    And TCW was an animated version of AotC and RotS. Boo hoo.

K'Kruhk, Esg and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  11. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Assuming we're wiping the slate clean and ignoring all EU post-ROTJ and re-writing it however we'd like, I think I would have things like Tie Fighters and Star Destroyers (or at least their successors in design) work their way back into the New Republic to be more reminiscent with the Republic as it was before Palpatine took over. The Rebels seemed like they were using outdated equipment, refitted older vessels, and hand-me-down ships. Once they overthrow the Empire and begin to rebuild the government on Coruscant and begin to build up new forces to defend the fragile new state, I would think that they would just take a bunch of the Empire's former assets. Maybe not the Tie Fighters, because unshielded, mass produced, and expendable fighters seems like too callous a policy for the New Republic. Buy maybe something like an Imperial class (obviously couldn't retain that name) Star Destroyer with a red pain scheme, looking more like the spiritual successor of the Republic's Venator.

As for the villain. It's a big galaxy. The entire galaxy is almost a state unto itself. Like setting a movie in Germany, or China, or the United States and dealing with that state's internal politics. We've had two civil wars (TCW and GCW). Why not a war with a foreign state? Whether it be extra-galactic or just a power from beyond the Outer Rim, but still within the same galaxy that attacks the New Republic after having been weakened by the GCW.

Sure, it's been done with the Yuuzhan Vong, but so has Republic vs. Empire.

There can be enough visual cues like lightsaber wielding Jedi, troopers in stormtrooper/clone trooper style armor, Star Destroyers and X-Wings (fighting on the same side), familiar locations, etc. to make it firmly feel like it takes place in the same universe as the other films, only with a new villain.

Aesthetic decisions for the New Republic would be reflect the Rebellion essentially trying to build itself back into the Republic, with things like X-wings and painted Star Destroyers side-by-side reminiscent of the ARC-170s and Venators - and more than one Jedi running around.

12. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Personally I would prefer an animated version of the Yuuzhan Vong War / NJO era over cleaning up the remnants of the Empire, but I'd welcome a new Dark Sider(s) threat in the form of a former Emperor's Hand or something of that nature.

Edit: Like what TaradosGon said in the above post, an extragalactic threat or some similar conflict would be welcome.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Didn't Jedi News break alot of the TCW cancellation news?

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Post Ep. 6 show would be great if they keep the same 4-episode-arc thing they kept going in TCW. Hell, they could even just blatantly tie up a bunch of TCW loose ends for an arc or two! Also this would be a cool way to show what happened from Ep. 6 to 7, and they could adapt different EU storylines ala The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I take your meaning, but if the new series is to be set between VI and VII, my hope is that we do see the depiction of Luke's marriage to "Mara Jade" and the birth of "Ben" (whatever they decide to call the characters). My grandest characterization wish of all for the ST is to see Luke's son fill the role of the new protagonist, and this new animated series could go a very long way in filling in the early years of his life. Additionally, if the EU is followed (even loosely) and Mara Jade has already passed away, this would be the perfect vehicle to tell her story, without leaving audiences wondering about the absence of Luke's wife/Ben's mother in VII.

All still conjecture at this point, naturally, but it is fun to toss around.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  16. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    A post-ROTJ series would be more interesting than a Dark Times series; I would be all for one. If I'm not missing anything, that era hasn't even been featured in any previous SW movie or TV project so it would make sense if the new series would be set during that time.

17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Post-ROTJ EU has been over done (so many books, comics, video games, in that time period), so i don't think a post-ROTJ series is a good idea. Beside if it happened, it would likely steam role over post-ROTJ c-canon, more then even TCW ever did. It would basically be a middle finger to the fans of the original post-ROTJ EU. At least TCW though did go against some previous canon, did keep alot of clone wars c-canon, and retcons were made as well.

I think the best choice for a new series is the dark times era or old republic era.

Esg, Mia Mesharad and Apophis_ like this.
  18. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    The Sequel Trilogy will most likely wreck havoc with the post-ROTJ era anyway and the EU-readers form a very small minority compared to the movie audience, so it would be a smart move to show the post-ROTJ era in a way that jives with the ST-era (though that of course doesn't mean that elements from the EU, such as Thrawn, couldn't be included).

TreborSabreon and kubricklynch like this.
  19. the-jedi-prince

the-jedi-prince Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    will they finish what they begin?

TreborSabreon and darklordoftech like this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's like a retcon inside a retcon inside a lab.

K'Kruhk, AkashKedavra_93, Esg and 3 others like this.
  21. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    No.
    Post-RotJ EU ends 45 years after RotJ and it's a great time to put new movies into. They have great characters to use, and old cast is in good age for that. I would never understand throwing away all those books, and if they will do that, I'm out.

And "small minority", well, like 07jonesj said on third page - I defend TCW as much as I can and I hope I won't be left alone when they will try to touch EU...

AkashKedavra_93 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Please, no dead Chewie in the ST.

23. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    This

24. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Don't worry, there won't be a zombie chewie in the ST.

But seriously, why do you think/want Chewie to still be alive in the ST?

25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Isn't starfighters having shields an EU invention anyways? Can't remember anything in the movies that points to fighter having shields. Therefore the NR can use as many TIE-fighters as they want. As far as expandability goes, nothing in the movies really points to TIEs being so much worse than X-wings. In fact the TIEs were plenty useful in the battle at Yavin (Okay, the falcon dealt with them easily but that's a whole different ship-class and the Empire wanted them to get away...).