main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Ahsoka in The Clone Wars thread (general discussion)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by G-FETT, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    Clearly you haven't seen THE CHART.

[​IMG]

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Hate that chart. That kind of exaggeration isn't even funny.

jackg1, Mzukiller and Heero_Yuy like this.
  3. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I hate Tropes, I'm just going by common knowledge. Denying that Ahsoka is a Mary Sue is pointless effort.

4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Not everyone defines Mary Sue the same way, so asserting that everyone should agree that a certain character is(n't) a Mary Sue seems a pointless effort to me. Also, a Mary Sue is a trope, the statement that you hate tropes but we all should go along with your definition of a particular trope seems inconsistent to me.

5. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    Heh, sorry. I sometimes take a little too much enjoyment out of poking fun at those people who use the mary sue term as a blanket statement for characters they don't like.

6. floatlikegas

floatlikegas Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2010
    Ahsoka has pretty blatant flaws so she's not a sue
    Methinks if there ever was a sue on the show it would be anakin but since he gets karma hard later in life I think its ignored.

7. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    InherentConflict: Well understood; I've just seen that chart sprung out by "Ahsoka's not a Mary Sue" supporters more times than I've cared for.

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    It's not as though there have never been posters calling her that without an explanation, and often when there's none given it's because there's none to give.

9. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I told you what I think makes her a Sue. But if don't see her as a Sue, then that's fine. I just hate Ahsoka, so Savagely I hope Grievous tortures her to death, I despise her so much.

10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Sounds like another case of calling a female character one doesn't like a Mary Sue. If Ahsoka is then she would be more of a Canon Sue. =b

11. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012

[​IMG]

I sense Anger in you. Release it!

Spazmatron and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Fair enough. The easiest of your points to debunk is that she never gets in trouble. Just watch Holocron Heist and Lightsaber Lost. Not that there aren't definitions of Mary Sue that Ahsoka fits, there certainly are, but I take issue with much of your list on a factual basis.

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    And when she gets in trouble, she gets repositioned to be in a position to again further the plot/save the day. <ducks>

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    That happens in Storm Over Ryloth which is why I didn't include it in the list, but not Holocron Heist or Lightsaber Lost. Unless one were to count her finally finding her own lightsaber with help from a Jedi Master as somehow saving the day...

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    She "unmasked" Jocasta Nu's impersonator, didn't she?

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    She didn't do anything special, in fact, there were a couple instances where the changeling made it fairly obvious they weren't who they were posing as and she didn't pick up on it. She only figured it out after being slammed in the face with it when the changeling was speaking with Cad Bane and she overheard. And by then, it was too late, the Holocron was stolen. So yes, she played a role in things not being as bad as they could possibly have been, but still came far from saving the day.

This is actually a good example of her not fitting the generic, cliched Mary Sue definition. A generic, cliched Mary Sue would have spotted the changeling at the first subtle hint, and then single-handedly stopped the theft plot. But that's not at all what happened.

Seerow likes this.
  17. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Don't see how not suspecting it sooner means anything. She's not as Sueish as she could've been?

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't see how what she did in that episode makes her a Sue at all. She overheard a conversation? [face_dunno]

That's the type of thing I think people mean when they say Ahsoka gets accused of being a Mary Sue for things that if another character did wouldn't receive a second thought.

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    If ^ is directed at me, I was a bit tongue in cheek. For the record, Ahsoka has many traits of a Sue. Whether sufficient in number or not to so qualify her as such is up to individual interpretation. I think, personally, she has walked a tightrope without tipping over into the no-doubt-about-it Sue-ness.

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    There are certainly definitions of Mary Sue that Ahsoka fits, I have said that a million times already. However, I don't see how what she did in Holocron Heist could be construed as fitting any but the most lax of definitions (which almost all main protagonists would fit).

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I
    For the record, I was agreeing with you...points to not-clearly-communicated tongue-in-cheek words (in intent, anyway).

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  22. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    As long as this Show keeps to entertain me, i dont care if she is a sue or not. maybe she is maybe not. I dont care. I just want to be good entertained. They should better write some good stories. I think bringing back Maul shows how bad the TCW Writers are. They cant make something epic on their own. They even must bring back dead characters. Thats cheap.

SenatorKelberry likes this.
  23. floatlikegas

floatlikegas Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2010
    If she was going around beating everyone in duels and showing up jedi masters all the time I'd be inclined to call her a sue but the kid can't even beat Grievous so what am I supposed to think?

24. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    It's not really different from people criticizing that Padme is the senator who's there when she shouldn't be instead of some other senator. It happens more often with these particular characters, so when it keeps happening, of course people criticize them more.

And she does more than "listen to a conversation". She's conveniently put into a position to prove she's a hero again; out of a whole temple of Jedi, it's her who duels and captures Cato. Of course, she is a main character, she's going to be involved in the story more than others. But afterward her punishment is over (even though no one tells her it is) and she goes with Anakin on a mission. Uncovering Cato has nothing to do with why she was punished in the first place. All that comes of the whole thing is Ahsoka being a hero again. Sue-ish or not, that is pretty much what happens.

25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Actually, we now know that the return of Darth Maul was demanded by George Lucas himself, so make of that what you will but I don't think the TCW writing team as a whole can be blamed.

She's punished with library duty which coincidentally (rather than through skill) leads to her uncovering someone in disguise, but too late to prevent the person they're working with from achieving their goal. There are examples in TCW of her "saving the day" to one extent or another but I don't think this is one of them.

Spazmatron likes this.