main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by JediLight, Nov 17, 2008.

1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009

*gives Arawn Fenn a manly hug*

Don't you sometimes feel like you're trying to talk to characters from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? Internet communication is so neat.

2. QueenMother_LK

QueenMother_LK Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2009
    So true. And also we have to keep in mind that Obi wan was probably still being a little bit vague because he is still trying to keep hidden the fact that Vader is Luke's father from Luke. It leaves the whole convo up for interpretation.

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Sure, Anakin didn't HAVE to be a hero. But it kind of makes the whole 'turn' notion meaningless if he's not. If he's just some jerk who ends up using the Dark side to be a bigger jerk, that's not really a 'turn' so much as the next step in the natural progression of things.

4. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Lucas should have developed this Anakin, the one we see in TCW. In hindsight, he choose to waste two movies about a little boy (TPM) and a whiny teenager (AOTC). And this complaint is coming from a prequel fan. Lucas has made claims that the movies are about the Skywalker family so he shows Anakin at his worst.

To think that by the time Anakin is likeable and his friendship with Obi-Wan finally seems legitmate (early ROTS), he turns to the dark side (mid ROTS).

AOTC should have been TCW. They could still addressed the love story with Padme within the contents of The Clone Wars. In fact, the love story wouldn't have felt as "forced" since Anakin would have been heroic and likeable. Nobody in their right mind can understand how Padme falls in love with the AOTC Anakin.

AshiusX likes this.
  5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I agree completely.

And I think it's one of Lucas' failures that the PT didn't show that to the extent many of us wanted.

Part of it I think unfortunately was his choice of Hayden Christensen, but a large part was the writing and time-wasting plot as well.

Why not have him come back to Tatooine to free the slaves in AOTC? That's pretty heroic.

Lots of what he does in TCW is incredibly heroic, and shows the kind of focus and compassion I expected to see in the PT.

For example, the Y-Wing run on the Malevolence - he's trying so hard to do the right thing that Plo Koon and Ahsoka have to snap him out of a suicide run.

6. Hyoma

Hyoma Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    Yes it is, for people who CAN communicate.

And why did you had to be offensive? Was i even remotely talking to you? Or are you just needing attention (and "manly hugs")?

Geez, and here i was, thinking this was a friendly forum...

7. QueenMother_LK

Feb 17, 2009
    I could see him actually wanting to do that, but the Jedi council/Obi-wan talking him out of it for some reason or another. Just him verbalizing that idea make even make him seem more heroic.

8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    For me it's not so much that he's "heroic" in TCW, but he's a whole lot more mature. If it was a bridge between ATOC and ROTS that would be one thing, but in ROTS he just doesn't have the level of maturity we see in TCW cartoon. Maybe he is at the beginning of ROTS, and it's Padme's pregnancy, and his dream that makes him desperate?
    It does seem they are starting to show little flashes of Anakin's anger in the TCW.

9. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Anakin in ROTS is just as mature as TCW in the beginning of the film. A major theme in ROTS is how Anakin is changing for the worst.

10. LORDs_angellos

LORDs_angellos Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2008
    ROTS Anakin is very mature and heroic at the beginning of the film. It is only after he comes under Palpatine's corrupting influence and is also confronted with Padme's pregnancy, his premonitions, and the devious actions of the Jedi Council that he breaks down.

11. Sunnin-Onna-Rock

Sunnin-Onna-Rock Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2009
    Don't get me wrong, I thought Hayden made a good Anakin.

The Anakin from this series is really starting to win my favor, though. He's a good man, a hero, and to me that creates more emotional weight for his fall.

I'm giving this series a little more time before I declare my official favorite, but I'm already leaning toward the very confident, expressive, heroic leader Anakin we see in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

12. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I disagree. Sorry, I think TCW Anakin is pretty boring.. Like now he's just an everyday hero. Same goes for Obi-Wan, not liking him either. Anyone else notice the characters in this series seem to like bickering with Anakin too much, whether it's Ahsoka, Obi-Wan, or Padme? It's annoying how this show is portraying these characters..

13. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Obi-Wan and Anakin are always bickering even in the movies, and I have not seen bickering between Padme and Anakin. Ahsoka and Anakin have that kid sister/older brother relationship, so bickering is going to be there.

14. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Well, bickering, smart-aleck comebacks, smugness, I don't know what else to call it. I just think there's too much of it.

15. Azure_Angelus

Azure_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2008
    Movie Anakin and The Clone Wars are pretty much the same guy only TCW Anakin jokes a lot more, a side of him that was sorely lacking in the movies. I liked the banter between him and Kenobi in ROTS, but it also made me sad knowing what was to come.

16. QueenMother_LK

Feb 17, 2009
    I like the joking nature that they have sometimes, esp Obi wan. But if it's specifically them arguing that bothers you, I guess I can understand that. I thought the episode where Obi and Anakin were stuck in jail with Dooku was pretty funny with the bickering that went on between them, but thats just me.

17. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Well, that is how they are. Obi-Wan and Anakin are two friends who have spent too much time together.

18. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Now you understand how many OT fans felt about the way the characters were portrayed in the PT...

19. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Very intresting...

http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/interview/henrygilroyanddavefiloni.asp

In some ways I think Anakin in our series is always the Anakin I pictured as a kid. I really wanted him to be a cross of Han and Luke, cocky, but immature. I never thought that Anakin was a guy that went around committing atrocities, or drowning puppies. If he did, the Council seems really thick for not realizing what Anakin would become. Anakin has to be a good guy. Luke was a good guy, had friends, was a hero, and yet when he struck Vader down and the Emperor asked him to take his father?s place at his side, I really believed Luke might do it, that he might go to the Dark Side, even though Luke was never really ?dark? before. The kinder Anakin is, the more his fall counts. He is a hero, who never believes that he betrays the Republic. He thinks he is a hero the whole time, and in the end he loses everything, until he is redeemed by his son. BUT for those of you who like the darker Anakin, be aware -- Anakin won?t be ?toothless? in the series. Especially in season 2, we see him tend to ?do what needs to be done?, foreshadowing his choice to align with Palpatine. Though some of these actions might not seem dark at first. -Dave Filoni

TFN: Describe

20. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Why didn't THIS guy make the prequels???

21. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    BUT for those of you who like the darker Anakin, be aware -- Anakin won?t be ?toothless? in the series. Especially in season 2, we see him tend to ?do what needs to be done?, foreshadowing his choice to align with Palpatine. Though some of these actions might not seem dark at first.

Whether you like it or not, Skywalker would have came out the same way if Filoni wrote the PT.

22. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    There's a wide range of 'not toothless' that doesn't have to include slaughtering an entire village.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    QUI-GON: You should be proud of your son. He gives without any thought of reward.
    SHMI: He knows nothing of greed.

24. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    True, but you have to make his transistion to an evil killer beliveable at some point.

25. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Good point, people make it seem that Anakin didn't have good intentions in the beginning and that he was unlikeable from the start.