main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Official Fan Art Banner Contest **DEADLINE SEPT. 10TH**

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DarthMaul431, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    I've gotten permission from HanSolo29 to start the Banner Contest for this forum, following up on the idea I suggested a little more than a month ago.

If you would like to submit a banner, here is the criteria for making one (See the Official Banner Making Thread for more information):

Resolutions:
    - Main Image: 764 x 110.
    - Background Image: 764 x 110.
    - Curve Image: 69 x 69.
    - Left Image Strip: 32 x 465 (but you can make them shorter or taller).
    - Ad Holders: 74 x 58 (but you can make them wider or skinnier).

Additional rules for this contest will be:

- You can submit only ONE banner.
    - You can only use the images that were nominated. Check this Thread for the list of Nominees.
    - Once the dealine arrives, any banner submitted late will not be considered in the vote.
    - When voting time comes, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

The deadline will be September 10th.

May the Force Be With the Banner Makers! :D

2. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Sounds good, can we have the resolution and do we have to do the corner and side bannery thing as well?

3. DarthMaul431

Sep 19, 2003
    It's in the Banner Making Thread I included at the top, but if you want I'll include it into the actual post.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Looks good to me. I just mentioned it in the MS, it should be included in the next update. ;)

5. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Yes! Gives me something to do for the next few days. :D

6. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Wow, choosing which ones to use is hard when you dont want people to kinda go: Hey, you didnt use mine! yet still make a good banner. I did quite a good one, but then realised there was no where for the text.

7. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    The best thing to do is to put the text on first, then the pictures. :p

8. Darth_Numanus

Darth_Numanus Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    Ellbobin, i did the same thing! im now having to do some major rearranging to fit the txt in!:mad:

-num

9. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Ellbobin--your creativity should flow, like the Force, and you should feel free to use whatever images fit best into your own vision and sense of compositon! I think I speak for everyone that had work nominated in saying that what we're hoping for is a wonderful new banner--and not necessarily one that includes out stuff! I'm just really excited to see what you digital wizards come up with! BTW--did we ever clear up the question as to whether the banner artists can choose artwork that wasn't in the nominated list...? Just curious, as I know there's a ton of fabulous fan art out there, and even in this forum, that didn't make it onto the nomination list (I was just thinking about some of the threads that are farther back in the forum...).

FF

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I can't wait to see what the banner artists come up with for this! :)

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    BTW--did we ever clear up the question as to whether the banner artists can choose artwork that wasn't in the nominated list...? Just curious, as I know there's a ton of fabulous fan art out there, and even in this forum, that didn't make it onto the nomination list (I was just thinking about some of the threads that are farther back in the forum...).

Personally, I would only go with the nominated images. Otherwise there would really be no point in nominating them in the first place if we go ahead and use whatever images we want. But then again, that's just my take on things. As always, I'll let you guys decide.

Also, would it be more convienant if I made this thread a sticky?

12. DarthMaul431

Sep 19, 2003
    The deadline for the Banner submissions is September 10th. Since there are all the little banner peices that need to be made, a month would be enough time to get everything done.

As for the images, I felt it would be best to only use nominated images, so this way, everyone had a chance to have their say in what should be on the banner.

I'm glad of the turnout for this contest. I personally am not going to be making a banner. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with! :D

13. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Personally, I would only go with the nominated images. Otherwise there would really be no point in nominating them in the first place if we go ahead and use whatever images we want.

I thought the reason for nomination was so that we could collect all of the best images together into one thread for the banner maker rather than having them search about in each thread. And if thats the case then I dont see why we cant use others if we find good ones.

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I thought the reason for nomination was so that we could collect all of the best images together into one thread for the banner maker rather than having them search about in each thread. And if thats the case then I dont see why we cant use others if we find good ones.

Yes, true but if banner artists then go ahead and use whatever images they want and not the nominated ones, then I don't really see the point in gathering them in the first place. But like I said above, it's really what you guys want.

15. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Yes, true but if banner artists then go ahead and use whatever images they want and not the nominated ones, then I don't really see the point in gathering them in the first place.

What I was trying to say was that if we came across something new, say like that yoda sculpture, it seems to good to realy leave out and would be ok for using right? ;)

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ah, ok...I see what you mean now. Sorry about that. Yea, I have no problems with doing that. ;)

17. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
  18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    What I was trying to say was that if we came across something new, say like that yoda sculpture, it seems to good to realy leave out and would be ok for using right?

Yeah, but I see how this is going to end up: part of the reason you have deadlines for something like this is because the most recent pieces of work tend to stand out in people's minds. That's why the movie studios try to put their Oscar hopefuls out at the end of the year, rather than the beginning where they are often forgotten by nomination time.

This means that any artist who wants a decent chance to contribute an image to the banner now needs to knock off an impressive image post-haste, or risk their work being lost in the flood of new entries. Now I haven't painted a decent Star Wars picture for a while, and now I'm thinking that if I want any chance of getting a pic of mine in the banner, I need to quickly produce a new piece. That would take me some time (and, frankly, a certain amount of luck [face_worried]) , and I'm not sure what the outside deadline for this would be. Is anybody else in the same boat?

I thought one of the reasons to have the forum members get together in one thread to nominate each others work was to help visibly establish a community, with the banner reflecting this community. If the banner was just about putting the best work up then we wouldn't have been asked to nominate one of our own pieces of artwork along with someone else's. This meant that all the regulars got a shot, regardless of style or ability.

I don't want to be a jerk and exclude all the new guys, but ditching the nomination process and deadlines is going to cause problems for some people. Maybe Han could see about making the Banner Contest an annual event? That might even things out a bit.

gabe,

I like the banner, but it's all faces. The occasional landscape concept art, or perhaps one of DarthZemog or labpizza's full figure drawings might help break things up a bit. I do like the lettering, I think it looks very classy.

19. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Pretty awesome banner.

20. DarthMaul431

Sep 19, 2003
    What I was trying to say was that if we came across something new, say like that yoda sculpture, it seems to good to realy leave out and would be ok for using right?

I see what you mean. Maybe if you'd like, make your banner with all nominated images, but then leave room for one or two peices that you like that have only been made in the past month. How does that sound to everyone? I do not think we're going to start a new nomination process for all the newest peices of work (not like anyone would want to anyway), so decide for yourself out of the newest stuff the ones you'd like to use, but only one or two.

gabe -- great banner so far!

21. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    I don't want to be a jerk and exclude all the new guys, but ditching the nomination process and deadlines is going to cause problems for some people.

A) Its just a banner.

B) Whoever said anything about ditching it?

22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I don't want to be a jerk and exclude all the new guys, but ditching the nomination process and deadlines is going to cause problems for some people.

A) Its just a banner.

I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it.

B) Whoever said anything about ditching it?

Well, if you are talking about using images that weren't nominated then you are simply ignoring the nominations, aren't you? That amounts to the same thing. It means that the whole nomination thing was a waste of time.

:confused: I don't mind, but I'm a little unclear about what is going on now. I don't want to limit the banner makers from using images that best fit their banner. Maybe everyone would be happier just using whatever pictures they like?

23. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I found the nominations useful in the sense of knowing for certain that the artists would be ok with me using their work. A good portion of my (now updated) banner features artwork from the nominations thread, the rest are pieces from the TFN museum archives, from a friend, and stuff I doodled myself for stuffing.

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    With all due respect, I thought the whole point of this banner was to create something that represented the fan art being produced by the community in this forum. Not in the fan art museum or other sources. Am I wrong?

25. Darth_Numanus

Darth_Numanus Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    now, i hate to sound snide, because Gabe your banner is very good, but i can only count about 3 of the nominated pieces of work....so im not quite sure if its deviated a little too far from the original purpose of the fan art forum banner.

am i being too hard?

-num

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.